Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why don't Óin and Glóin get much attention?

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Jun 26 2016, 11:03pm

Post #1 of 11 (1439 views)
Shortcut
Why don't Óin and Glóin get much attention? Can't Post

Around the forum I've seen a lot of love for most of the Dwarves, even the ones in supporting roles. But these brothers are hardly mentioned at all, which is a shame since they're two of my favorites.

Is it because they're not as conventionally attractive as some of the rest? Is it due to the lack of focus they got in the films (especially BOFA)? Or something else entirely?

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 26 2016, 11:10pm

Post #2 of 11 (1401 views)
Shortcut
It's because [In reply to] Can't Post

they reminded PJ how fat he was, then he decided to not give them so much attention.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26 2016, 11:59pm

Post #3 of 11 (1394 views)
Shortcut
Probably because [In reply to] Can't Post

they're not controversial so nobody feels the need to attack or defend their appearance or portrayal. But feel free to talk about why they're favorites of yours. :-)

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 27 2016, 1:41am

Post #4 of 11 (1383 views)
Shortcut
Don't know that Nori and Dori get much attention, either [In reply to] Can't Post

Or Bifur, for that matter. He only got one line in all three movies!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Jun 27 2016, 2:02am

Post #5 of 11 (1372 views)
Shortcut
Bifur's Axe [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right that they don't get much discussion, but there was quite a bit of discussion about his axe at least.

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Jun 27 2016, 2:11am

Post #6 of 11 (1366 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to [In reply to] Can't Post

They most fully embody the canon concept of Dwarves in appearance; stocky, heavily bearded, and with rather rough features (I can't remember if that last is actually canon, it's how I imagine Dwarves either way).

Also, Glóin's beard, costume, and weapons are perfectly evocative of Gimli without being the exact same elements all around. Óin has a fun quirk which adds some fun comic relief, and is the only one (besides Fili) who shows willingness to forego the Quest for noble reasons.

There were a few moments with Glóin that I wish had been given more attention. Apparently in Old Bilbo's study there's a letter from Glóin wishing him a happy eleventy-first birthday; it would have been nice to see Bilbo reading the letter. Also, the bit where Glóin, Nori and Bofur bury the troll-chest was supposed to have a pay-off scene which we never got to see.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jun 27 2016, 3:34am

Post #7 of 11 (1358 views)
Shortcut
Presumably Bilbo gets the chest; there's a scene in the first one where he complains that it still smells of troll [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Noria
Gondor

Jun 27 2016, 12:25pm

Post #8 of 11 (1327 views)
Shortcut
I like Oin and Gloin just fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

But Silverlode is right: there is nothing controversial about them so there is little for us to say. They are the stereotypical Dwarves, and while I would not enjoyed thirteen similar Dwarves, just a couple are great and it’s nice to see the family resemblance to Gimli.

Oin and Gloin are mostly background Dwarves but PJ has given both their little moments. Oin’s ear trumpet is a bit of an ongoing thing and his skill as a healer is featured in DOS. Gloin has his moment of balking at spending more money, only to be overawed by the sight of Erebor, and also his exchange with Legolas about Gimli. More would have been nice but that’s not how it went.

I agree with ange1e4e5 that Bilbo having the troll chest in the AUJ prologue and again in the TBOTFA finale was a sort of payoff of the chest burial scene, but perhaps not the one that was originally intended.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2016, 10:40pm

Post #9 of 11 (1271 views)
Shortcut
For me it opens up *that* Pandora's box... [In reply to] Can't Post

Around the forum I've seen a lot of love for most of the Dwarves, even the ones in supporting roles. But these brothers are hardly mentioned at all, which is a shame since they're two of my favorites.

Is it because they're not as conventionally attractive as some of the rest? Is it due to the lack of focus they got in the films (especially BOFA)? Or something else entirely?

The Pandora's box of what could have been done with dwarves/Beorn, and was notUnimpressed. Or maybe it was, but we never saw the footage, not outside of PR images. For me it's still a sore point, and having embraced everything from art to fan fiction to collectibles, for me that will probably always be true.Unsure Because, if you are still collecting and reading, you end up thinking a lot about dwarves! Specifically the dwarves as represented in the Hobbit.Heart

I'm too lazy to search up the old TORn posts, but even tho most folks didn't seem to agree, I still would have liked to have seen Legolas return Gloin's locket, in the form of Gloin looking at the locket while Thorin has the dwarves behind Erebor's walls and the sound of the battle rage. It's a scene that would have taken seconds, and I think would have underscored the poignancy that the Company was all going to die, probably.

Besides the stripping off their plate armor (that's a referral to Graham McTavish commenting to a fan at a con who was asking about the "final armor" and Graham McTavish said that they [the dwarves] didn't expect to live [so not much point to plate armor - my comment]). I still would have liked to have seen Gloin looking at that locket.

I still flinch a bit with Oin going on about the wonders of elvish medicine - also an old TORn post. But since Oin obviously knew about kingsfoil, I wish they had just changed that to Oin telling Fili to be easy, that Kili was out of danger, or something like that.Unsure

So, if it helps - well, as time has gone on, my respect for a lot of what PJ did with the Hobbit just increasesHeart, because even joking around about the costumes and hair and so on, I'm looking stuff up, and thinking, and thinking about how really difficult it was to delineate that many dwarves, and how well PJ & co. did itHeart. All the dwarves are characters I can relate to and characters I find believable. It would have been nice, too, w. these family groups for Oin and Gloin to have exchanged some more looks, as well as the Ri brothers.

So it's not that I don't think about these guys. IMO perhaps sadly it's in some of the better fan fiction - and there are some writers so good out there I am suspicious that they are actually professionals doing some stuff on the side, for funShocked - that have picked up on the dwarves and fleshed things out. I hate to sound negative because PJ did so much and the characters as we know them on film wouldn't even exist without PJ's vision. E.g those same online writers wouldn't have the same base to work from.

So, since you mention BOFA - well, yeah, I guess for me [the lack of lines etc.] that's part of not mentioning Oin and Gloin so much - me just getting irritated, a bit. Even though for whatever reason it's Gloin's scenes in AUJ that are among the "pictures in my head" - e.g., Gloin looking at Bilbo; Gloin swinging his axe on that bridge in the goblin tunnels, and in DOS Gloin beautifully reading the Arkenstone inscription, and Gloin cutting the cables in DOS. And Oin talking about the ravens. E.g. Peter Hambleton and John Callen are amazing actors and there's more wasted potential IMO *sigh*.Frown Oin was a healer, he could have at least had a little scene w. Balin while Thorin was going off, the two wise dwarves exchanging looks over ThorinUnsure - tho I guess that fell to Balin explaining dragon sickness.

I don't mind re-discussing stuff...but it makes me feel a bit badMadFrown, like thinking of - possibly - all that footage just sitting around (like that trailer shot (I think it was) of Gloin holding up some gold coins). I mean it's never REALLY said that Gloin was backing a lot of the Quest; there's a lot we only know if we read companion books or watch the Appendices. The dwarves and the BOFA premier is always going to be a dark spot for me, the way that was handled - I firmly believe re the actors they started the journey together; there was a huge hype about the dwarves in the beginning, and the actors deserved to be able to stay together.Mad

So to end more positively, the actors IMO were stellarHeartHeartHeart. Gloin and Oin looked different but I think were believably brothers (and again, far as I recall no point about their close connection is ever made *frown*). Outstanding looks for both of themHeartHeartHeart. I particularly like that Oin, I think, at his age, would be the kind who carried a staff and could viciously wield it, at need. I like his dignified look. I love Gloin's fiery costume and fiery expression. And I am happy that the dwarves in the Hobbit are who they are, and looked the way they did.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...loin-Men-and-dwarves

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 28 2016, 10:15pm

Post #10 of 11 (1183 views)
Shortcut
that's because [In reply to] Can't Post

he couldn't speak

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

historiasderafaelrodriguesdarocha.blogspot.com

Gianna
Rohan

Jun 30 2016, 5:55pm

Post #11 of 11 (1093 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

They do embody the canon Dwarves better than a lot of the rest of the company. I loved the little things about Gloin that called Gimli to mind. They made the connection without being heavyhanded.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website...
...my fantasy novel Seascape...
...and my fantasy novel Starscape.

(This post was edited by Gianna on Jun 30 2016, 5:55pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.