Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
best Austen adaptation to another culture/genre
Poll: best Austen adaptation to another culture/genre
Bride & Prejudice (P&P; Bollywood)
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies
Clueless (Emma)
From Prada to Nada (Sense & Sensibility)
I have Found It (Bollywood: Sense & Sensibility)
Scents & Sensibility
Lost in Austen
Bridget Jones's Diary
Aisha (Bollywood: Emma)
Austenland
View Results (9 votes)

Annael
Immortal

Jun 24 2016, 7:07pm

Post #1 of 14 (675 views)
Shortcut
best Austen adaptation to another culture/genre Can't Post

including some rather far-fetched ones . . .I didn't include any of the Hallmark versions (Judging Mr. Darcy for example).

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2016, 1:04am

Post #2 of 14 (621 views)
Shortcut
I think I'm the only one around here... [In reply to] Can't Post

who likes Bridget Jones's Diary. Tongue I enjoyed it when I watched when it first came out, but didn't think much about it after leaving the theater. But I later came across it on TV several times and became quite fond of it; and yet more after reading the book. I can identify with Bridget more than I can with Elizabeth. I don't smoke or sleep around, don't drink or swear very much; but I *do* worry about my weight and, most Bridget-like, make a mess of most social situations. Laugh I can totally relate to her lack of self-confidence and her ability to say or do the wrong thing at just the wrong time. Tongue

Okay, maybe Helen Fielding (way) overestimates the appeal of quirky social awkwardness to the opposite sex, but it's nice to have a story where the less-than-perfect woman gets the hot guy, especially considering all of the many stories celebrating less-than-perfect men.

Speaking of hot guys, that Colin Firth in the movie made a really good Darcy. You'd almost think he'd played that role before. Wink

I also liked Clueless and appreciate the fact that it introduced Jane Austen to many young people who may not otherwise have discovered her.

The Bollywood versions sound interesting, too.

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Jun 26 2016, 2:58am

Post #3 of 14 (615 views)
Shortcut
Too many there I haven't seen to vote for the best but [In reply to] Can't Post

PP and Zombies ran through the theater here much to fast for me to get to it.... but I'll get to it.

Clueless I enjoyed a lot and Bridget Jones Diary.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 26 2016, 4:07am

Post #4 of 14 (606 views)
Shortcut
P&P&Z [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
PP and Zombies ran through the theater here much to fast for me to get to it.... but I'll get to it.

Forget the movie, read the book.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 26 2016, 7:21am

Post #5 of 14 (602 views)
Shortcut
I highly recommend Bride & Prejudice! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Jun 26 2016, 1:30pm

Post #6 of 14 (597 views)
Shortcut
second that [In reply to] Can't Post

book's kind of funny, movie was b o r i n g.

Annael
Immortal

Jun 26 2016, 1:34pm

Post #7 of 14 (594 views)
Shortcut
I loved the book [In reply to] Can't Post

the movie failed to bring out the real complexity of Bridget's character, though (and her friends were reduced to caricatures: Sharon in the book is always on about some cause, Sharon in the movie "says F*** a lot"? Really?).

What I loved about Bridget is that after a while you realize that while she seems to be a mess, all her friends depend on her. She's their go-to person, the one who is always there for them and holds the entire group together. I think Mark Darcy, in the book, feels that instinctively and being a closeted "mess" himself emotionally, is drawn to her, not to rescue her but to be rescued himself from the arid life he's living.

(This post was edited by Annael on Jun 26 2016, 1:35pm)

Gianna
Rohan

Jun 26 2016, 2:06pm

Post #8 of 14 (593 views)
Shortcut
The Emma Approved website. [In reply to] Can't Post

The casting was perfect and the snark was awesome. Of the ones you listed, I did enjoy Austenland.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2016, 2:51pm

Post #9 of 14 (584 views)
Shortcut
You make a good point [In reply to] Can't Post

About Bridget being her friends' go-to person and about the book showing more complexity. I saw the film first and enjoyed it more than you apparently did Smile, but I agree that the book was much better. Books usually are.

However, I was being a bit facetious when I implied that Mark was attracted to Bridget *because* she's socially awkward. I think he likes her because she is open and spontaneous where he is guarded and cautious. He admires her, not for her blunders, but her ability to pick herself up and keep going with her head held high in spite of her blunders.

But you're right. I think that goes to him being, as you say, a closeted mess. Smile

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jun 26 2016, 2:52pm)

Annael
Immortal

Jun 26 2016, 11:05pm

Post #10 of 14 (567 views)
Shortcut
oh man, totally forgot about the Lizzie Bennet Diaries & Emma Approved! [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually bought the LBD DVD set AND the book, I loved them so much.

Gianna
Rohan

Jun 27 2016, 12:15am

Post #11 of 14 (557 views)
Shortcut
*webseries // [In reply to] Can't Post

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Jun 27 2016, 1:49am

Post #12 of 14 (551 views)
Shortcut
My sister was a big fan of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gianna
Rohan

Jun 27 2016, 1:33pm

Post #13 of 14 (533 views)
Shortcut
I never got into that one so much. [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked Emma Approved much better.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 7 2016, 7:29pm

Post #14 of 14 (419 views)
Shortcut
What, no LBD? [In reply to] Can't Post

Set in modern California, with a racially diverse cast, and a sex-tape scandal, and a breakout character who is black and gay, and references to LotR,and its widespread use of social media in real time, etc. My favorite adaptation. <3

EDIT: I see you mentioned it above. I knew you had loved it.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jul 7 2016, 7:31pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.