The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Weird Radagast scene

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jun 24 2016, 2:36pm

Post #1 of 15 (2438 views)
Shortcut
Weird Radagast scene Can't Post

Did anyone notice in BOFA that early scene when Gandalf is mumbling a spell to break free from his cage and there appears some shots of Radagast saying the spells to save the hedgehog from the first movie?

I never understood that scene. Was Radagast trying to help Gandalf? And, most importantly, is that Radagast 'scene' the EXACT SAME FOOTAGE from AUJ or it's slightly different shots and I didn't notice? Crazy

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Jun 24 2016, 2:37pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 24 2016, 3:26pm

Post #2 of 15 (2383 views)
Shortcut
Same shot different angle [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the idea was that Radagast was contacting Galadriel for Gandalf, but I don't know why they recycled the footage. Possibly Radagast was trying to keep Gandalf alive until Galadriel could get there, I don't know, but I thought that was laziness on the editor's part.

Another scene like that in BOT5A is during the confrontation between Thranduil and Dain, where Thranduil orders his elves to fire on the Dwarf cavalry. After the twiddly-widdlys land & take out a bunch of elves, Thranduil orders them to fire again. It's the exact same shot, but then the angle changes to looking down on the scene from the Dwarf position. I guess they wanted to show the Dwarves approaching, but I just thought it was a weird thing to do.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 24 2016, 8:36pm

Post #3 of 15 (2331 views)
Shortcut
Weeeelllll..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought that Radagast had some sort of pyschic connection to Gandalf - he seems to be able to find Gandalf in the High Fells, in the woods, and so on - tho maybe it's the animals helping Radagast too. I never notice that particular bit of recycled footage; I think it's a nice touch that Gandalf is getting SOME support in spell-strengthening until the real warriors show up who can take on that kind of evil.

It bothers me more that Thorin & co. apparently have the same pants and boots on all the way through BOFA. Nice new togs (or old togs, if they were getting stuff from Erebor, but assume they were CLEAN) but Thorin must LOVE those pants and boots. Just love 'em. Because they've been wet down, covered w. fish, wet down again, he's hiked leagues and leagues, those pants can probably stand up by themselves. (Unless the dwarves, like wash stuff out at night in the sinks, like during a modern economy road trip, but I just can't picture Thorin w. those little soap packets...

He's a KING, WHY didn't they give him some NEW boots and pants!!!!

ok, I'm fine now...

Cool

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 24 2016, 9:06pm

Post #4 of 15 (2322 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's pants? [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I'm going to have to go look for those now...Evil

Hmm, maybe...

Um, what was I doing? Oh yeah, checking out Thorin's pants (that's not weirdBlush)

Oh look, there's Fili!

I guess there's just no getting around it - I'm going to have to re-watch the ENTIRE movie now, plus some of the Appendices - Darn!SlySlySly

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 25 2016, 1:11am

Post #5 of 15 (2290 views)
Shortcut
Enquiring minds want to know! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, it's the cosplayers who are *ruthless* about the details....
http://emeraldvigilante.tumblr.com/post/70865044480

I think AUJ and BOFA might be the best for boot/pant watching!

I mean, in DOS the dwarves are all running and in barrels - well, maybe when the come out of the river? I dunno! Guess I'll have to watch them all!TongueCool

And check this out:

vs.

E.g., so that's what the un-Shopp'd image looked like! Either way, Thorin is so badass! (And this is an awesome pen, too....)

Still badass.CoolWink

(And just sayin' - you know, it probably never helped Thorin's mood any because Thorin was getting tired of never getting clean clothes, especially the boots and the pants. Not even Tolkien himself, or any erudite blogger, has commented on the issue. How would we feelFrown? Elves don't count because they have that magical laundry that never gets dirty, wizards don't wear pants, and hobbits wear short pants. Like Bermuda shorts.)

They never let him change! *SHOCKING*AngelicWinkCool

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 25 2016, 2:49am

Post #6 of 15 (2276 views)
Shortcut
He SHOULDN'T Change! [In reply to] Can't Post

"They never let him change! *SHOCKING*"

No need to change - he's perfection! Oh, you mean the clothes - well...

Jeez, how'd this become another Thorin thread?Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 25 2016, 12:01pm

Post #7 of 15 (2240 views)
Shortcut
Togs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin wore togs? How did I miss this?

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 25 2016, 5:03pm

Post #8 of 15 (2195 views)
Shortcut
Hair... [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 25 2016, 6:38pm

Post #9 of 15 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Free association [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not a Thorin thread.Angelic The OP mentions something baffling to them...and I offered that while I didn't find Radagst's additions baffling - although *frown* if there really is re-used footage I'd say that's a MISTAKEUnimpressed. But I do like that Radagast - I think - is trying to bolster Gandalf's efforts. Perhaps it's supposed to be the reason that

RADAGAST DOESN'T IMMEDIATELY RUSH TO EREBOR TO HELP THE DWARVES HE THREW UNDER THE BUS BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T HEDGEHOGS SINCE IT'S NOT LIKE SARUMAN COULDN'T HAVE JUST, LIKE, FLOATED GANDALF OUT OF DG AS WE SEE HE IS QUITE ABLE TO FLOAT GANDALF AND EVEN TWIRL HIM AROUND IN THE AIR LATER IN LOTR!!!!!

I'm fine now.

So in turn I offer my own *bafflement* over a worrisome issue, for me. Chafing skin, parasites, ringworm, and all thatShocked. Even poison ivy can get on your clothes and keep causing a rash, and after all the Company DID spend all that time in Mirkwood! It's probably like that Caribbean machineel tree (manzanilla de la muerte) that's 10 x worse than poison ivy!

It's just unavoidable IMO to think about Thorin's pants and bootsShocked, especially if you are into costumesHeart. After all, although certainly not a main character like Thorin's Hair, there ARE some critical scenes that wholly depend on Thorin's footwear:

(I remember when this scene freaked me out in the trailerShocked because I thought Thorin was coming up behind Bilbo to do something BAD....)

And then of course, thinking about boots leads to thinking about socks to go with the boots....

http://www.ravelry.com/...thorins-armour-socks

So I hafta say, as an aside, I was pretty happy to hear that the cast got new socks every daySmile, especially the dwarves:

Ancient men and women wore shoes, or, at least sandals. And, people have even been wearing socks for almost as long! In fact, a sock from around the 12th century is on display at the Textile Museum, located in Washington, D.C.. The reasons to wear shoes are obvious: they protect the foot and can help provide stability. The usefulness of socks is less obvious, but no less important. The primary role of socks is to help absorb and dissipate perspiration of the feet and provide a “second skin” for the feet that can be changed and modified as conditions warrant....

Even a high-performance sock, however, needs time to air out and dry. Therefore, at rest stops along your hike, remove your shoes, and, if time allows, even your socks, if you begin to feel that they are becoming damp. On backpacking trips, change socks daily, giving the just worn pair adequate time to completely dry.

http://www.nynjtc.org/...ighperformance-socks

Considering the elaborate nature of the Hobbit costumes:

it's just INEXPLICABLE to meShocked - especially in BOFA where there are going to be some *titanic* up-close boot/pant shots -

That the KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN didn't have some new pants and boots from all the stuff that must have been left around Erebor, someplace, unless I am supposed to believe Smaug had a pant/boot fetishShocked - folks can be real fussy about the kind of jeans they buy and all that - and ate all the dwarf boots and pants.

'Course, it wasn't JUST the dwarves.

OMG, Bard's ratty pantsShocked. I thought Thorin's bathrobe was bad. Bard gets a new coat WITH NO EXPLANATION AT ALL. But not once, in 3 films, do you see ANYONE getting new pants and boots. I ask you, do these pants look like something you would battle an orc in? If Bard were rooting around in Dale for clothes, wouldn't he switch these out? I mean, Dale must be colder than Laketown!!!!!
No wonder Thorin was so disdainful - he wasn't going to treat with anyone who didn't have common sense in a mountain climate!

(Thorin was probably thinking "What a peasant. Goes for the glam suede coat (like anyone can beat my Grandpa's GOLD-embroidered mantle - wait till I pull out the armor!) and keeps the cheap linen pants. At least that prancing elven king knows the importance of being FABULOUS. Always. Not that my streaming, tumbling, perfectly-wind-swept hair doesn't give me a brutal advantage in all climate conditions. I even look good in a burlap potato sack.")

Still, for all of my *angst* and fretting - MUCH was made up for, IMO, by the addition of those leather gloves in BOFAHeart. (Never mind the vambraces). I can overlook quite a lot seeing all that woven, studded, and quilted leatherTongue. Just the sight of those BOFA gloves makes me totally forget the pants/boots issue, for the most part. Every now and then, tho, there's a twinge, during key shots. Tho I suspect there is DWARF FAVORITISM influencing my concerns. Only the best for the guysHeart!

No need to change - he's perfection!

Well, yeah. There IS thatCool. In any case, I'm set up to do some re-watching this weekend - always something new to see in these films, or ponderCool.

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 25 2016, 8:16pm

Post #10 of 15 (2176 views)
Shortcut
What I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast is summoning the White Council to help Gandalf. He was around the fortress, just admiring that beautiful place.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 25 2016, 8:42pm

Post #11 of 15 (2175 views)
Shortcut
Guiding? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Radagast is summoning the White Council to help Gandalf. He was around the fortress, just admiring that beautiful place.

Presumably the White Council is already in transit and almost there; there is no indication that Radagast can teleport. He seems to be communicating with Gandalf, maybe even lending him strength, but he might also be telepathically guiding the Council to Dol Guldur.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 26 2016, 10:14pm

Post #12 of 15 (2078 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Presumably the White Council is already in transit and almost there;

Galadriel maybe, but you are not sure about Elrond and Saruman.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 26 2016, 11:32pm

Post #13 of 15 (2073 views)
Shortcut
I am sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Presumably the White Council is already in transit and almost there...

Galadriel maybe, but you are not sure about Elrond and Saruman.

Oh, I am. Galadriel went in first, but Elrond and Saruman were only a little behind her. They seem to have arrived together.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 28 2016, 2:50pm

Post #14 of 15 (1969 views)
Shortcut
Can Radagast teleport? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Presumably the White Council is already in transit and almost there; there is no indication that Radagast can teleport. He seems to be communicating with Gandalf, maybe even lending him strength, but he might also be telepathically guiding the Council to Dol Guldur."

Well, an ability to teleport could explain how Radagast suddenly appeared behind Gandalf in the High FellsSly I mean, I don't think bunny sleds can travel THAT fast!Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 28 2016, 3:22pm

Post #15 of 15 (1966 views)
Shortcut
Master of Shapes and Hues [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, an ability to teleport could explain how Radagast suddenly appeared behind Gandalf in the High FellsSly I mean, I don't think bunny sleds can travel THAT fast!Cool

Given what we are actually told by Tolkien of Radagast's abilities it seems more likely that he created some sort of glamour that prevented Gandalf from seeing him earlier. He might have simply camouflaged himself. That isn't so say that Jackson couldn't have expanded Radagast's abilities (sorry for the double negative). But applying Occam's Razor, I would guess: no teleportation.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 28 2016, 3:25pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.