TIME - June 11
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 17 2016, 2:48am

Post #26 of 96 (2776 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you were thinking of this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo went tramping all over the Shire with them (his friends); but more often he wandered by himself, and to the amazement of sensible folk he was sometimes seen far from home walking in the hills and woods under the starlight. Merry and Pippin suspected that he visited the Elves from time to time, as Bilbo had done.

And then there's these tidbits, from the meeting with Gildor:

"Yes, it is Elves," said Frodo. "One can meet them sometimes in the Woody End.They don't live in the Shire, but they wander into it in Spring and Autumn, out of their own lands away beyond the Tower Hills."

"And how do you know my name?" asked Frodo in return.
"We know many things," they said. "We have seen you often before with Bilbo, though you may not have seen us."

"Tell me, Gildor, have you ever seen Bilbo since he left us?"
Gildor smiled. "Yes," he answered. "Twice. He said farewell to us on this very spot. But I saw him once again, far from here."

From all these passages, I get the feeling that Bilbo (and later Frodo) would go out to places like the Woody End in hopes of meeting Elves, though the Elves did not always choose to make themselves known.

I think Elves coming into Hobbiton and visiting at Bag End would be unlikely. Dwarves, certainly, but not Elves.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 17 2016, 2:57am

Post #27 of 96 (2773 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

Those passages might have been somewhere in the back of my mind, but they just support and confirm the reference at the end of The Hobbit concerning Bilbo visiting Elves. I was only half-serious about the idea of Elves visiting the hobbit at Bag End--though, who knows for certain? More-or-less random encounters in the woods do seem much more likely.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 17 2016, 3:21am

Post #28 of 96 (2769 views)
Shortcut
How to agree?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I've been trying really hard to agree with you (with minor successes and apparently somewhat incoherently).

In Reply To
Ummm, yes, which is exactly what you wrote in the post I was responding to. Sooo...yeah. So I was stating literary fact, not speculation (since we learn in LotR that Elves occasionally passed through the Shire, even if they did not actually visit Bag End).

Yes, it is canon that Bilbo visited Elves.
Yes, it is "literary fact", not speculation that Bilbo visited Elves.
Yes, yes, yes!

I was trying to convey that it is NOT “literary fact” that the reverse is true: that Elves visited Bilbo in Bag End. I think we both agree that THIS (Elves visiting Bilbo in Bag End) is supposition?? Although most probable to both of us.

Dare I hope, I hope, I hope!
*crossed fingers*

'Still it might be well for all if all these strengths were joined, and the powers of each were used in league.'
-Glóin

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 17 2016, 6:56am

Post #29 of 96 (2758 views)
Shortcut
Yes, we were already in agreement. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't mean to cloud the issue with the last part of the (now, much) earlier post. I just won't entirely rule out the possibility--as remote as it seems--that Elves might have at some time visited Bilbo at Bag End.

It was only Bilbo visiting the Elves that I was referring to as fact.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 17 2016, 6:58am)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 17 2016, 12:07pm

Post #30 of 96 (2748 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the ‘tidbits’ [In reply to] Can't Post

"Yes, it is Elves," said Frodo. "One can meet them sometimes in the Woody End.”

Seems (to me) that Frodo is implying that he HAD met them sometimes.

"Tell me, Gildor, have you ever seen Bilbo since he left us?"
Gildor smiled. "Yes," he answered. "Twice. He said farewell to us on this very spot. But I saw him once again, far from here."

Bolsters Otaku’s find at the end of The Hobbit that Bilbo had visited Elves.

But whether the Elves visited Bilbo or Frodo in Bag End is more presumptuous and there seems to be some division on this. Might make a good Pollantir?

'Still it might be well for all if all these strengths were joined, and the powers of each were used in league.'
-Glóin

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 17 2016, 12:10pm

Post #31 of 96 (2745 views)
Shortcut
P'raps [In reply to] Can't Post

the Elves are so very good at their nocturnal travel, almost ghost-like ability to move in silence unseen, would make them able to even elude OUR keen eyes and considerations ;) Mercy... if the Dwarves would come and go... and Gandalf... why not Elves? Now... an Ent would be a completely different story, though I really do believe one was spotted by Sam's cousin, Hal.

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 17 2016, 1:19pm

Post #32 of 96 (2742 views)
Shortcut
I’m with YOU gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it likely that some of Bilbo and Frodo’s Elvish buds snuck into Bag End on dark nights for some light chats, chow, and chuckles.

And maybe cousin Hal saw an errant Ent-wife? Unsure

WE LOVES THIS STUFF!!! :D

-Glóin

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 17 2016, 1:52pm

Post #33 of 96 (2738 views)
Shortcut
Cousin Hal's Tree-man [In reply to] Can't Post

Nah, I still think that Hal saw a Giant, Troll or Ogre; not an Ent. It makes no sense that one of the Shepherds of the Trees would be wandering in the North Farthing.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 17 2016, 5:55pm

Post #34 of 96 (2732 views)
Shortcut
Or it could have been a [In reply to] Can't Post

disoriented off course Ent or Ent-wife in the beginning stages of the dreaded Branchheimer’s Syndrome. Wink

In Reply To
Nah, I still think that Hal saw a Giant, Troll or Ogre; not an Ent.

-Glóin

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 17 2016, 6:14pm

Post #35 of 96 (2728 views)
Shortcut
So, that's how the Ents lost the Ent-wives... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they Groot apart.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 17 2016, 9:05pm

Post #36 of 96 (2719 views)
Shortcut
By yiminy, I think you've solved the mystery - Groot, Moot, & Root! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

-Glóin

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 18 2016, 1:42am

Post #37 of 96 (2712 views)
Shortcut
Oh!!! Buh-dump-bump! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 18 2016, 10:42am

Post #38 of 96 (2701 views)
Shortcut
Today in Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler that looks at the description of Bucklebury Ferry.... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From A Shortcut to Mushrooms: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "[Maggot] drove out of the gate... ...After a mile or two the lane came to an end, crossing a deep dike, and climbing a short slope up on to the high-banked causeway... ...It was five miles or more from Maggot's lane to the Ferry....
......They reached the entrance to the Ferry lane at last. It was marked by two tall white posts that suddenly loomed up on their right....

From A Conspiracy Unmasked: The Fellowship of the Ring

... ...They turned down the Ferry lane, which was straight and well-kept and edged with large white-washed stones. In a hundred yards or so it brought them to the river-bank, where there was a broad wooden landing-stage. A large flat ferry-boat was moored beside it. The white bollards near the water's edge glimmered in the light of two lamps on high posts.... ...the water before them was dark... ...Merry led the pony over a gangway on to the ferry, and the others followed. Merry then pushed slowly off with a long pole. The Brandywine flowed slow and broad before them. On the other side the bank was steep, and up it a winding path climbed from the further landing. Lamps were twinkling there. Behind loomed up the Buck Hill; and out of it, through stray shrouds of mist, shone many round windows, yellow and red. They were the windows of Brandy Hall, the ancient home of the Brandybucks...

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 19 2016, 10:16pm

Post #39 of 96 (2676 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a special BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some Book Spoilers of Middle-earth Fathers for Father's Day... for a moment of Tolkien-zen

From A Long-Expected Party: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "No one had a more attentive audience than old Ham Gamgee, commonly known as the Gaffer. He held forth at The Ivy Bush, a small inn on the Bywater road; and he spoke with some authority, for he had tended the garden at Bag End for forty years, and had helped old Holman in the same job before that. Now that he was himself growing old and stiff in the joints, the job was mainly carried on by his youngest son, Sam Gamgee. Both father and son were on very friendly terms with Bilbo and Frodo. They lived on the Hill itself, in Number 3 Bagshot Row just below Bag End...

... '...And no wonder they're queer,' put in Daddy Twofoot (the Gaffer's next-door neighbour), 'if they live on the wrong side of the Brandywine River, and right agin the Old Forest. That's a dark bad place, if half the talks be true.'
... 'You're right, Dad!' said the Gaffer. 'Not that the Brandybucks of Buckland live in the Old Forest; but they're a queer breed, seemingly. They fool about with boats on that big river—and that isn't natural. Small wonder that trouble came of it, I say. But be that as it may, Mr. Frodo is as nice a young hobbit as you could wish to meet. Very much like Mr. Bilbo, and in more than looks. After all his father was a Baggins. A decent respectable hobbit was Mr. Drogo Baggins; there was never much to tell of him, till he was drownded.'

...Old Rory Brandybuck, in return for much hospitality, got a dozen bottles of Old Winyards: a strong red wine from the Southfarthing, and now quite mature, as it had been laid down by Bilbo's father. Rory quite forgave Bilbo, and voted him a capital fellow after the first bottle.

From The Shadow of the Past: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'Long after, but still very long ago, there lived by the banks of the Great River on the edge of Wilderland a clever-handed and quiet-footed little people. I guess they were of a hobbit-kind; akin to the fathers of the fathers of the Stoors, for they loved the River, and often swam in it, or made little boats of reeds.

From In the House of Tom Bombadil: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."It was not called the Old Forest without reason, for it was indeed ancient, a survivor of vast forgotten woods; and in it there lived yet, ageing no quicker than the hills, the fathers of the fathers of trees, remembering times when they were lords."

From Many Meetings: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "So it was that Frodo saw her whom few mortals had yet seen; Arwen, daughter of Elrond, in whom it was said that the likeness of Lúthien had come on earth again; and she was called Undómiel, for she was the Evenstar of her people. Long she had been in the land of her mother's kin, in Lórien beyond the mountains, and was but lately returned to Rivendell to her father's house."

From The Council of Elrond: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "Elrond drew Frodo to a seat by his side, and presented him to the company, saying: 'Here, my friends, is the hobbit, Frodo son of Drogo...'
... ...He pointed out and named those whom Frodo had not met before. There was a younger dwarf at Glóin's side: his son Gimli... ...There was also a strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas, a messenger from his father, Thranduil, the King of the Elves of Northern Mirkwood. And seated a little apart was a tall man with a fair and noble face, dark-haired and grey-eyed, proud and stern of glance.... ... He gazed at Frodo and Bilbo with sudden wonder.
... 'Here,' said Elrond, turning to Gandalf, 'is Boromir [son of Denethor], a man from the South...' '...I have come on an errand over many dangerous leagues to Elrond[said Boromir]: a hundred and ten days I have journeyed all alone... ...I come to ask for counsel and the unravelling of hard words. For... ...a dream came to my brother in a troubled sleep; and afterwards a like dream came oft to him again, and once to me...

...For Isildur's Bane shall waken,

And the Halfling forth shall stand.

... Of these words we could understand little, and we spoke to our father, Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith, wise in the lore of Gondor. This only would he say, that Imladris was of old the name among the Elves of a far northern dale, where Elrond the Halfelven dwelt, greatest of lore-masters.... ... I took the journey upon myself. Loth was my father to give me leave, and long have I wandered by roads forgotten....'
... 'And here in the House of Elrond more shall be made clear to you,' said Aragorn, standing up. He cast his sword upon the table that stood before Elrond, and the blade was in two pieces. 'Here is the Sword that was Broken!' he said.

... 'And who are you, and what have you to do with Minas Tirith?' asked Boromir, looking in wonder at the lean face of the Ranger and his weather-stained cloak.
... 'He is Aragorn son of Arathorn,' said Elrond; 'and he is descended through many fathers from Isildur Elendil's son of Minas Ithil. He is the Chief of the Dúnedain in the North, and few are now left of that folk.'"

... "'...answered Elrond gravely. 'But my memory reaches back even to the Elder Days. Eärendil was my sire, who was born in Gondolin before its fall; and my mother was Elwing, daughter of Dior, son of Lúthien of Doriath....
... '...I was the herald of Gil-galad and marched with his host. It was at the Battle of Dagorlad before the Black Gate of Mordor, where we had the mastery: for the Spear of Gil-galad and the Sword of Elendil, Aiglos and Narsil, none could withstand. I beheld the last combat on the slopes of Orodruin, where Gil-galad died, and Elendil fell, and Narsil broke beneath him: but Sauron himself was overthrown, and Isildur cut the Ring from his hand with the hilt-shard of his father's sword, and took it for his own....'
... '...Isildur took it, as should not have been.... ...But few marked what Isildur did. He alone stood by his father in that last mortal contest; and by Gil-galad only Círdan stood, and I. But Isildur would not listen to our counsel.... '"This I will have as weregild for my father, and my brother," he said...'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 20 2016, 12:09am

Post #40 of 96 (2668 views)
Shortcut
Nice Father’s Day tribute gramma *hugs* [In reply to] Can't Post

Interestingly, I have been looking for instances in LOTR where Elrond is called “Halfelven” -- and having trouble.

Your quote:

.. Of these words we could understand little, and we spoke to our father, Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith, wise in the lore of Gondor. This only would he say, that Imladris was of old the name among the Elves of a far northern dale, where Elrond the Halfelven dwelt, greatest of lore-masters....

My Ballantine first edition says:

.. Of these words we could understand little, and we spoke to our father, Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith, wise in the lore of Gondor. This only would he say, that Imladris was of old the name among the Elves of a far northern dale, where Elrond and Halfelven dwelt, greatest of lore-masters....

Is this singular word another change in the second edtion?
(Can anyone help out with other instances (or any instances) in LOTR where Elrond is called Halfelven or Half-elven, or Peredhil?)

-Glóin

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 20 2016, 12:12am

Post #41 of 96 (2661 views)
Shortcut
Not so much as a change... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as an error in the Ballantine printing.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 20 2016, 12:13am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 20 2016, 1:25am

Post #42 of 96 (2653 views)
Shortcut
Halfelven and Half-elven [In reply to] Can't Post

This is from an edition - I don't have which one, or the date - where each of the six books has its own title (Return of the Shadow, Fellowship of the Ring, Treason of Isengard, Journey to Mordor, War of the Ring, Return of the King).

Three is Company: "..but his heart was moved suddenly with a desire to see the house of Elrond Halfelven..."

Council of Elrond: "...Imladris was of old the name among the Elves of a far northern dale, where Elrond the Halfelven dwelt..." (Boromir used the "the")

Journey to the Cross-Roads: "...it was said to me by Elrond Halfelven that I should find friendship upon the way..."

There are three mentions of Half-elven,all in the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen. But this is all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 20 2016, 11:24am

Post #43 of 96 (2581 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 20, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Sauron attacks Osgiliath.
(from the appendices)
...[Boromir recounts for the Council] "'But this very year, in the days of June, sudden war came upon us out of Mordor, and we were swept away. We were outnumbered, for Mordor has allied itself with the Easterlings and the cruel Haradrim; but it was not by numbers that we were defeated. A power was there that we have not felt before.
...'Some said that it could be seen, like a great black horseman... ...Wherever he came a madness filled our foes, but fear fell on our boldest, so that horse and man gave way and fled. Only a remnant of our eastern force came back, destroying the last bridge that still stood amid the ruins of Osgiliath.
...'I was in the company that held the bridge, until it was cast down behind us. Four only were saved by swimming; my brother and myself and two others. But still we fight on, holding all the west shores of Anduin...."

2. About the same time Thranduil is attacked and Gollum escapes.
(from the appendices)
...[Legolas recounts for the Council] "'Alas! alas!' cried Legolas, and in his fair elvish face there was great distress. 'The tidings that I was sent to bring must now be told. They are not good, but only here have I learned how evil they may seem to this company. Sméagol, who is now called Gollum, has escaped.'
...'Escaped?' cried Aragorn. 'That is ill news indeed. We shall all rue it bitterly, I fear. How came the folk of Thranduil to fail in their trust?'
...'Not through lack of watchfulness... ...but perhaps through over-kindliness... ...we fear that the prisoner had aid from others, and that more is known of our doings than we could wish. We guarded this creature day and night... ...much though we wearied of the task. But Gandalf bade us hope still for his cure, and we had not the heart to keep him ever in dungeons under the earth, where he would fall back into his old black thoughts.'
...'You were less tender to me,' said Glóin with a flash of his eyes, as old memories were stirred of his imprisonment in the deep places of the Elven-king's halls.
...'Now come!' said Gandalf. 'Pray do not interrupt, my good Glóin. That was a regrettable misunderstanding, long set right. If all the grievances... ...between Elves and Dwarves are to be brought up here, we may as well abandon this council.'
...'Glóin rose and bowed, and Legolas continued. 'In the days of fair weather we led Gollum through the woods; and there was a high tree standing alone far from the others which he liked to climb. Often we let him mount up to the highest branches, until he felt the free wind; but we set a guard at the tree's foot. One day, he refused to come down, and the guards had no mind to climb after him... ...so they sat by the tree far into the night.
...It was that very night of summer, yet moonless and starless, that Orcs came on us at unawares. We drove them off after some time; they were many and fierce... ...When the battle was over, we found that Gollum was gone, and his guards were slain or taken. It then seemed plain to us that the attack had been made for his rescue, and that he knew of it beforehand. How that was contrived we cannot guess; but Gollum is cunning, and the spies of the Enemy are many. The dark things that were driven out in the year of the Dragon's fall have returned in greater numbers, and Mirkwood is again an evil place, save where our realm is maintained.
...'We have failed to recapture Gollum. We came on his trail among those of many Orcs, and it plunged deep into the Forest, going south... ...and we dared not continue the hunt; for we were drawing nigh to Dol Guldur, and that is still a very evil place; we do not go that way.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 20 2016, 12:53pm

Post #44 of 96 (2552 views)
Shortcut
I found a few [In reply to] Can't Post

And the "and" is a typo... it should be "the"

Here are some Halfelven vs Half-elven sightings. Halfelven is used in the text of the story, and Half-elven seems to only be used in the Appendices... but I need to check more... I'm running out the door for the day right NOW! :) GOOD LUCK!

"'Rivendell!' said Frodo. 'Very good: I will go east, and I will make for Rivendell. I will take Sam to visit the Elves' he will be delighted.' He spoke lightly; but his heart was moved suddenly with a desire to see the house of Elrond Halfelven, and breathe the air of that deep valley where many of the Fair Folk still dwell in peace."
[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p. 100 FotR]

"Of these words we could understand little, and we spoke to our father, Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith, wise in the lore of Gondor. This only would he say, that Imladris was of old the name among the Elves of a far northern dale, where Elrond the Halfelven dwelt, greatest of lore-masters."
[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p. 323 FotR]

The hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host,' said Frodo, 'it was said to me by Elrond Halfelven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I looked for no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good.'
[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p. 385 TT]

APPENDICES: APPENDIX A: ANNALS OF THE KINGS AND RULERS: The Númenórean Kings (i): Númenor
"There were three unions of the Eldar and the Edain: Lúthien and Beren; Idril and Tuor; Arwen and Aragorn. By the last the long-sundered branches of the Half-elven were reunited and their line was restored."
[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p. 388 ROTK]

"The sons of Eärendil were Elros and Elrond, the Peredhil or Half-elven. In them alone the line of the heroic chieftain of the Edain in the First Age was preserved; and after the fall of Gil-galad4 the lineage of the High-elven Kings was also in Middle-earth only represented by their descendants."
[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p. 389 ROTK]

...and on the same page...

"At the end of the First Age the Valar gave to the Half-elven an irrevocable choice to which kindred they would belong. Elrond chose to be of Elven-kind, and became a master of wisdom."
[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p. 389 ROTK]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 20 2016, 12:54pm

Post #45 of 96 (2551 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for finding those “Elrond Halfelven” quotes [In reply to] Can't Post

We use the words “Elrond Halfelven” so freely that I felt there must be many more mentions of same throughout LOTR.
The other two (besides the Boromir quote) ARE in my first edition.

But I don’t find the word “Half-elven” in the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen?

My reason for wondering is simply that WHY do we (or Tolkien) use the term “Elrond Halfelven” after his Choice was made those thousands of years ago. Was he not ALL Elf at this point? Or was the term simply an epithet. Were not the only true Halfelven or Peredhil Elrohir and Elladan, and Arwen (before she made her Choice), at this time in the tale.

Elrond and Elros were the Halfelven brothers and both made their Choice near the end of the First Age. Yet Elrond went on being called “Elrond Halfelven”. Why? Yet I don’t believe that Elros was ever called “Elros Halfelven” after the Choice to become of Mankind. Why not?

Er, I could go on and question whether the offspring of Elrond really had a Choice, but for now – I won’t, I won’t, I won’t! (Okay! Just this one last thought: Did Arwen REALLY have to make a Choice? If she simply remained in Middle-earth when her father left the Choice would be unnecessary. She would automatically become of Mankind. But then her remaining in Middle-earth would constitute “a choice”. Oh my! Crazy)

“But to the children of Elrond a choice was also appointed: to pass with him from the circles of the world; or if they remained, to become mortal and die in Middle-earth.”
-Appendix A, The Numenorean Kings

-Glóin

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 20 2016, 1:20pm

Post #46 of 96 (2543 views)
Shortcut
It seems strange [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder why Tolkien used “Halfelven” in the text and “Half-elven” in the appendices?

I was actually looking for textual corroboration that Elrond was called “Halfelven” in the Third Age. The appendices you mention seem (to me) to be of pre-choice when Elrond and Elros WERE Half-elven.

But I thank you for looking all this up! Heart

-Glóin

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 20 2016, 4:28pm

Post #47 of 96 (2530 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry about misleading you, I wrote that the usages of Half-elven were in the Tale of A&A, but as gramma notes they're actually in the Annals.

I apologize for sending you on the wild-goose chase! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 20 2016, 11:06pm

Post #48 of 96 (2495 views)
Shortcut
Not a problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I love reading the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen!

Shoot! Maybe I'll read it again tonight... Wink

-Glóin

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 21 2016, 1:49pm

Post #49 of 96 (2492 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

In honour of our Summer Solstice... Today in Middle-earth

June 21, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin and Company rest in Rivendell.
(not from the appendices-drabble-no text)
...Bilbo found himself turned around in the fair house of Elrond as he sought the great Hall of Fire to meet Gandalf and the Dwarves. He prided himself on his sense of direction, but finally conceded to being lost. Just as he was about to retrace his steps, a green-clad Elf approached him smiling. 'Greetings Bilbo Baggins of the Shire. I am Gildor Inglorion. I'm sent to escort you to your friends and Lord Elrond.'
...'Ah! Good!' sighed the hobbit. 'I began to fear surviving Trolls and the Wild only to be lost within the walls of this grand house!'

June 21, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Bilbo and Gandalf travel home.
(not from the appendices-drabble-no text)
...Even though Bilbo was anxious to rest in the familiar comfort of his own home, he agreed with Gandalf it would be wise to stop for the night. Their ponies were moving slowly under their burden of the chests of gold, silver, and treasures accumulated during the journey. They had passed the fields where the trees of Woody End could be seen in the distance and finally came to Frogmorton. It was decided they should spend the night at The Floating Log and begin fresh in the morning travelling the last long miles to Hobbiton and finally to Bag End.

June 21, 2951 (S.R. 1351)
1. Aragorn comes to Lórien,
(Appendix A & B – determined from text)
..."'It came to pass that when Aragorn was nine and forty years of age he returned from perils in the dark confines of Mordor, where Sauron now dwelt again and was busy with evil. He was weary and he wished to go back to Rivendell and rest there... ...ere he journeyed into the far countries; and on his way he came to the borders of Lórien and was admitted to the hidden land by the Lady Galadriel.
...'He did not know it, but Arwen Undómiel was also there, dwelling again for a time with the kin of her mother. She was little changed... ...yet her face was more grave, and her laughter now seldom was heard. But Aragorn was grown to full stature of body and mind, and Galadriel bade him cast aside his wayworn raiment, and she clothed him in silver and white, with a cloak of elven-grey and a bright gem on his brow. Then more than any kind of Men he appeared, and seemed rather an Elf-lord from the Isles of the West... ...thus it was that Arwen first beheld him again after their long parting; and as he came walking towards her under the trees of Caras Galadon laden with flowers of gold, her choice was made and her doom appointed.'"

June 21, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Summer at Bag End.
(not from the appendices-drabble-some is no text)
...In the fine weather, Frodo forgot his troubles for a while. The Shire had seldom seen so fair a summer..."
...He always enjoyed Gandalf's company and was quite pleased when his good friend showed no signs of leaving. Even though there were whisperings and side-long glances at the wizard from the villagers when they passed along the roads together, Frodo and Gandalf would take pleasure in pleasant conversations while sitting and smoking, frequent and plentiful meals, and long peaceful walks. Still, Frodo couldn't help noticing Sam seemed more attentive than usual of Bag End's gardens and flowers along the walls.

June 21, 3019 (S.R. 1418)
1. In Minas Tirith.
(not from the appendices)
..."The Hobbits still remained in Minas Tirith, with Legolas and Gimli; for Aragorn was loth for the Fellowship to be dissolved. 'At last all such things must end,' he said, 'but I should have you wait a little while longer...."
......In those days the Companions of the Ring dwelt together in a fair house with Gandalf, and they went to and fro as they wished."

June 21, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. A cherished summer in the Shire.
..."...if Sam thought himself lucky, Frodo knew that he was more lucky himself; for there was not a hobbit in the Shire that was looked after with such care. When the labours of repair had all been planned and set going he took to a quiet life, writing a great deal and going through all his notes. He resigned the office of Deputy Mayor at the Free Fair that midsummer, and dear old Will Whitfoot had another seven years of presiding at Banquets.
...Merry and Pippin lived together for some time at Crickhollow... ...The two young Travellers cut a great dash in the Shire with their songs and their tales and their finery, and their wonderful parties. 'Lordly' folk called them, meaning nothing but good; for it warmed all hearts to see them go riding by with their mail-shirts so bright and their shields so splendid, laughing and singing songs of far away; and if they were now large and magnificent, they were unchanged otherwise, unless they were indeed more fairspoken and more jovial and full of merriment....
......Frodo and Sam, however, went back to ordinary attire, except that when there was need they both wore long grey cloaks, finely woven and clasped at the throat with beautiful brooches; and Mr. Frodo wore always a white jewel on a chain that he often would finger."

June 21, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Frodo's memory is stirred when looking at the summer flowers.
...[Frodo remembered when he] "...stood awhile... ...lost in wonder. It seemed to him that he had stepped through a high window that looked on a vanished world. A light was upon it for which his language had no name... ...the shapes seemed at once clear cut, as if they had been first conceived and drawn at the uncovering of his eyes, and ancient as if they had endured for ever. He saw no colour but those he knew, gold and white and blue and green, but they were fresh and poignant, as if he had at that moment first perceived them and made for them names new and wonderful. In winter here no heart could mourn for summer or for spring. No blemish or sickness or deformity could be seen in anything that grew upon the earth. On the land of Lórien there was no stain....
......Though he walked and breathed, and about him living leaves and flowers were stirred by the same cool wind as fanned his face, Frodo felt that he was in a timeless land that did not fade or change or fall into forgetfulness....
...[Frodo still] would walk there, upon the grass among elanor and niphredil in fair Lothlórien."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 21 2016, 3:20pm

Post #50 of 96 (2471 views)
Shortcut
Estel in Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

Has anyone else wondered whether Bilbo and/or any other members of the company encountered Aragorn as a young boy, perhaps never even realizing that the boy was not one of Elrond's people? Do you suppose that Gandalf was aware of Estel's true name and heritage before he met and befriended Aragorn as an adult? Or would Elrond have kept it a secret even from Mithrandir?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.