Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Hey Hobbit book fans, look what I found!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 19 2016, 12:31am

Post #1 of 3 (1227 views)
Shortcut
Hey Hobbit book fans, look what I found! Can't Post

I found "The Hobbit" illustrated edition by Charles Dixon and David Wenzel at Sam's Club today:

I don't know if this is a reissue of a graphic novel mentioned by Otaku-Sempei and others, but it looks pretty cool. I thought I'd get it as a collector's item. Anyway, I'm so attached to the movies that it looks a little weird to me, but I'm pretty sure this will follow the original book very closely. If you want your own copy, you might check out your local Sam's Club - good luck!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 19 2016, 1:24am

Post #2 of 3 (1206 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit graphic novel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't know if this is a reissue of a graphic novel mentioned by Otaku-Sempei and others, but it looks pretty cool. I thought I'd get it as a collector's item. Anyway, I'm so attached to the movies that it looks a little weird to me, but I'm pretty sure this will follow the original book very closely. If you want your own copy, you might check out your local Sam's Club - good luck!

Yes, that is exactly what you found, reissued with a new cover when the movies started coming out. Eclipse Comics serialized The Hobbit as a three-issue comic-book series in 1989 and 1990 and it was collected as a graphic novel in conjunction with Ballantine Books. There have been numerous printings with several different covers. It's a bit wordy by comics standards, but it makes extensive use of Tolkien's original text.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 19 2016, 1:26am)

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2016, 7:27pm

Post #3 of 3 (662 views)
Shortcut
"Illustrated edition" [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time I see a version of this I wonder if it's the graphic novel adaptation again or the original book with illustrations from the comics artists (which is more what I think of when I hear the words "illustrated edition"). Although Otaku-sempai seems to have cleared things up in this case. Smile

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.