Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
If The Children of Hurin went to the big screen...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Sep 1 2016, 2:17am

Post #51 of 57 (353 views)
Shortcut
Not A Film Fan Especially After The Hobbit Debacle....but... [In reply to] Can't Post

The book COH is so bad?

I was not aware all these...30 years plus I was throwing it together piecemail from the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales....various places....like going through those damned 69 footnotes lol...

All to find out how poorly it was done

Unsure

Oh, on another note, a film would be similar to the 'film noir' genre if you ask me.

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

squire
Half-elven

Sep 1 2016, 11:59am

Post #52 of 57 (342 views)
Shortcut
Good points, but not central [In reply to] Can't Post

As you say, the assembly of Children of Hurin was done as well as anyone could hope for, given the scattered nature of the sources. I was not criticizing the editing; I was criticizing the artistic excellence of the story as a story.

And yes, of course: to put Children of Hurin on screen in a film noir mode would be most appropriate to its tone. But I was speculating that that tone is most unlike LotR and The Hobbit, and would very likely disappoint most of the fans of those movies. However, the Hollywood producers would certainly want assurances of those fans' repeated attendance before approving the project, and they would demand whatever changes to the story and characters would be needed to make sure CoH was, basically, part 3 of the ongoing Tolkien On Film epic celebration of adventure, fellowship, and upbeat heroism.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Oct 6 2016, 1:15am

Post #53 of 57 (255 views)
Shortcut
I've thought it more along the lines of a Sergio Leone film or Joel and Ethan Coen film. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

squire
Half-elven

Oct 6 2016, 1:22am

Post #54 of 57 (251 views)
Shortcut
I agree, but don't you think that would be a marketing nightmare that would scuttle the project from the start? [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem is that Tolkien is not very diverse, but he's a lot more diverse than his two movie trilogies have been so far. The Hobbit, as far as I can tell, was massively distorted to fit the Lord of the Rings movies' template. To the degree that it did well, it did so by attracting the same people who liked the LotR films. At this point, it's almost impossible to imagine a "Tolkien" film project being funded by Hollywood that doesn't promise to follow the existing Jackson-style formula. I suggest that Leone and the Coens do not fit that formula, at all, at all.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Oct 6 2016, 1:26am

Post #55 of 57 (249 views)
Shortcut
So everyone's been burned by the films of Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Guess I should have been here five years ago.

Anyway, it would make a nice change. I've always thought someone like Alejandro Inarritu could direct The Children of Hurin.

Am I the only one on the forum who wants to even talk about the possibilities?

(This post was edited by ange1e4e5 on Oct 6 2016, 1:29am)

squire
Half-elven

Oct 6 2016, 2:28am

Post #56 of 57 (244 views)
Shortcut
I think the problem is that talking about films of Tolkien's work is anything but hypothetical [In reply to] Can't Post

Two massive film trilogies, and a massive fan base that hasn't read the books, whether LotR or the CoH.

To 'even talk about the possibilities' simply begs the question of what could actually be filmed.

squire online:

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Oct 6 2016, 2:30am

Post #57 of 57 (243 views)
Shortcut
For me, the hypothetical part is fun in itself, as long as it's still believable. [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.