The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the ides of June reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 14 2016, 2:40pm

Post #1 of 23 (555 views)
Shortcut
It's the ides of June reading thread! Can't Post

I finished The Red Hat Club Rides Again, if not quite in the way I anticipated---disc 10 of 10 was missing from the set! One of these days I'll fall over a paper version of the book and can read up on what I'm sure is a happy ending.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, thanks to the vivid voices of the characters and their absurd if sometimes moving adventures. Plus the reader did an excellent job. However, the author dragged every scene out just a bit too long, making the book overall too long. I suspect she was, understandably enough, in love with those vivid voices.

One quibble: The son of a major character goes missing, she's distraught, another woman reports a detective she hired found him---and that's it. The man himself never appears in the story and is never heard of again, at least through the end of disc 9.

I'm listening to a 3-disc radio-style dramatization of Unnatural Death, a Peter Wimsey mystery, which takes place in the late 1920s. It's well done, but seems more dated in the abridged audio version than it does in the original written version.

On paper, I finished the first book in Charlaine Harris's new series, Midnight Crossing. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters are mysterious and quirky and the plot flows along beautifully---and there's one heckuva a "whoa!" moment at the end.

What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

(This post was edited by Lily Fairbairn on Jun 14 2016, 2:40pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 14 2016, 5:14pm

Post #2 of 23 (456 views)
Shortcut
"The Road to LIttle Dribbling" [In reply to] Can't Post

by Bill Bryson. I'm generally a Bryson fan, but lately he seems to have gotten a little too bitter and cynical for me. But the first chapter of this was back to my favorite Bryson hilarity (I won't give it away, but I was choking and spluttering, and almost unable to read it out loud to my daughter. In a good way, of course.Cool). Now it's gotten a little too bland and travelogue-y for the next few chapters, but I'm hoping it will pick up as I go on.Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 14 2016, 5:34pm

Post #3 of 23 (451 views)
Shortcut
I loved Little Dribbling [In reply to] Can't Post

There are several points I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. And yes, parts are travelogue-y, and he's not totally past the cynicism (who would be, really?) but the book was one of those I hated to see end.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 14 2016, 6:09pm

Post #4 of 23 (447 views)
Shortcut
Good! I'm really glad to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

he's back in form. SmileSmile Brilliant researcher as well--I've got most of his stuff.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2016, 7:10pm

Post #5 of 23 (442 views)
Shortcut
I'm listening to Ten Second Staircase [In reply to] Can't Post

on my way back and forth to work. It's another of the Bryant and May detective series by Christopher Fowler. Lots of London history and a good mystery.

I'm still plugging through my pharmacy review. I hope it all pays off - I'd like to sit the exam this fall if I can. Such a lot of material to go over!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 14 2016, 7:36pm

Post #6 of 23 (434 views)
Shortcut
Is there a section of the review [In reply to] Can't Post

with a good plot that you might recommend?AngelicEvilShockedWink

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jun 14 2016, 8:08pm

Post #7 of 23 (439 views)
Shortcut
Terrors of Tesla [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow - Lily, you're much calmer about missing the last 10% of a book than I would be! Hopefully you find the ending sooner rather than later.

Terrors of Tesla is the second book in the Bulletproof Adventures of Damian Stockwell by Benjamin Wallace. As I said previously, Wallace doesn't write classics, only fun little romps through quirky stories. I'm just starting Terrors. WWII has just begun and Dr. Tesla has stopped by Damian Stockwell's home asking for help - a thief has stolen his plans for a superweapon! (Dr. Tesla intended it for a "it's too powerful so we must make peace" device, but, well, you know, the forces of evil ["Those are my LEAST favorite forces!" cries Damian] have stolen it and are sure to be up to no good)

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2016, 8:25pm

Post #8 of 23 (428 views)
Shortcut
Heh, nope [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

But there is a whole section on ulcer medications which I think I will personally need by the time I'm through.

_

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 14 2016, 8:32pm

Post #9 of 23 (428 views)
Shortcut
No big deal [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wow - Lily, you're much calmer about missing the last 10% of a book than I would be! Hopefully you find the ending sooner rather than later.

It's not as though it was a mystery with the murderer yet to be revealed, or a thriller with all the good guys suspended over a pot of molten steel!

I see I can get a used paperback for a couple of bucks....

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 14 2016, 8:48pm

Post #10 of 23 (426 views)
Shortcut
I think I may know the title of that one [In reply to] Can't Post

"As the Stomach Burns" *runs and hides*

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 15 2016, 12:26am

Post #11 of 23 (414 views)
Shortcut
The Tournament at Gorlan [In reply to] Can't Post

by Mike Sullivan, latest in his Ranger's Apprentice series. These are still good books, though not as much fun as the earlier ones. He's been cranking these out for a while now, and I'm thinking he ought to take a rest before he burns out. I'm willing to wait a while for a really good book rather than get a decent book now.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2016, 2:04am

Post #12 of 23 (411 views)
Shortcut
This book about little critters called Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

called The Fellowship of the Ring... Wink

It's my annual read-through of LOTR, this time with my new editions illustrated by Alan Lee. Heart

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Jun 15 2016, 2:40am

Post #13 of 23 (402 views)
Shortcut
That's on my list [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm taking a trip to England and Scotland this fall and a friend recommended that, so it's in my queue on hold at the library. She really enjoyed it, so I hope I do too, plus learn some more fun stuff before my trip.

"All we have to decide is what to do in the time that is given us."

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 15 2016, 7:24am

Post #14 of 23 (391 views)
Shortcut
Very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking about starting my annual read through next week, and see if I can get into the Silm as well before life gets crazy again.

Enjoy! Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2016, 3:37pm

Post #15 of 23 (374 views)
Shortcut
And here I thought you were reading [In reply to] Can't Post

Anthropology articles.

http://www.sciencefriday.com/...os-uncertain-future/

Cool

_

Annael
Immortal

Jun 15 2016, 3:46pm

Post #16 of 23 (370 views)
Shortcut
I've discovered Laura Kinsale [In reply to] Can't Post

not usually much of one for romance novels as they're rarely well-written in my experience, but Kinsale is terrific! I'm reading "For My Lady's Heart," for which she apparently did a huge amount of research into medieval times & language. The characters are fascinating and complicated, the locales are brought to life beautifully, and the story is riveting. I'll be reading more by her!

Also picked up "Our Game" by John le Carre, but everyone always talks in the same bright and babbling way in his books, male, female, from different countries, in different lines of work, when they are being insincere or lying, and I don't buy it.

For the heavy reading I've ordered a couple of books by Gaston Bachelard on the philosophy of science.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2016, 6:34pm

Post #17 of 23 (359 views)
Shortcut
Well, I've read them now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Thanks for the link! (I still prefer Tolkien though. Laugh)

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Gianna
Rohan

Jun 15 2016, 9:44pm

Post #18 of 23 (346 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings again [In reply to] Can't Post

Been ages. Also, I just finished reading the Song of Roland for school. I loved it! It was easier to read than most ancient literature (or maybe I'm just getting used to it, I have to read a lot of it in history class) and was quite moving. Full thoughts summed up here, if anyone cares: https://benitajprins.wordpress.com/.../the-song-of-roland/

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website...
...my fantasy novel Seascape...
...and my fantasy novel Starscape.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 18 2016, 2:23am

Post #19 of 23 (314 views)
Shortcut
Lost Horizon [In reply to] Can't Post

by James Hilton. The story of a man who found and lost Shangri-La, paradise on Earth and the fountain of youth. I'm not a big fan of the writing style - pretentious thesaurusism and unnecessarily verbose, IMO - but the concept was intriguing. I'd call it a sci-fi philosophical adventure of the Air Age. And I can add one more literary classic to my "read that" list.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 20 2016, 3:01am

Post #20 of 23 (285 views)
Shortcut
The War in the Air [In reply to] Can't Post

written by HG Wells in 1907. Of course he got a lot of the details of aerial warfare wrong, but there's a surprising amount he got right too. It has a real retro steampunk flavor if you're into that. The protagonist is surprisingly comical for such a dark story.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2016, 1:22am

Post #21 of 23 (263 views)
Shortcut
Never Let Me Go [In reply to] Can't Post

This was my third Kazuo Ishiguro novel. Not, for me, as engaging as his terrific The Remains of the Day, but still, it is a story I found myself involved in till the very end. Not quite what I would call a sci-fi story, but definitely has elements of such. Revolving about the lives of three school children in an English school for 'special' children, it isn't until about half-way through the book that we learn the truth about who and what these children are, a truth that is both tragic and disturbing. Definitely a book to ponder over, which I enjoy. I understand it was a film, as was his Remains of the Day. Drat! Another movie I will have to hunt down!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Annael
Immortal

Jun 22 2016, 2:15pm

Post #22 of 23 (234 views)
Shortcut
And let's keep this reading thread alive another week [In reply to] Can't Post

Lily is off on a birthday trip, and she asked me to be the keeper of the reading thread for this week & the next. So: what have you been reading?

I've just laid hands on a book called Dark Run, by the TORnado otherwise known as Ufthak. Started laughing at the very first line.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 23 2016, 2:20am

Post #23 of 23 (216 views)
Shortcut
I've read Dark Run and Dark Sky. [In reply to] Can't Post

How long must we wait for the next one, Ufthak?! It can't be that hard to write a book! Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.