Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the mid-June What are You Watching Thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jun 22 2016, 5:38am

Post #51 of 55 (170 views)
Shortcut
From the Earth to the Moon [In reply to] Can't Post

Made the mistake of popping the first episode in Friday night ... the next thing i knew, it was 3 AM ...

I don't think Tom Hanks has done any better work (although I'd admit "Band of Brothers" is close) and it really gives one a renewed appreciation for one of the greatest achievements in history.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 22 2016, 5:55am

Post #52 of 55 (166 views)
Shortcut
Oh pooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

They probably showed the previous episodes here, too. I think the Sunday prime time line-up on PBS is pretty much the same across the US. I just haven't been checking lately. Unsure I'll have to look online to see if it's available.

I'll have to re-watch this episode as well; I got distracted by The Great Gatsby similarities. I don't remember what first struck me as Gatsby-like, but soon after the episode began I joked to myself, "Is he supposed to be Endeavour or Nick Carraway?" And then I realized, "Ooooh! That's what they're going for." After that, I couldn't stop looking for parallels...which is strange since I've only read the book once. And since I forgot what had happened in season two, the emotional stuff between Morse and Thursday left me racking my brain, trying to remember how things were left at the end. I did figure out the stuffed animal connection, but everything else (in terms of mystery and continuity) went right past me. Tongue

I've only seen a couple of the old Morse episodes, so all of Shaun White's efforts to channel John Thaw are wasted on me. Frown But I do appreciate what he brings to the role; he's very intense, sensitive, and oozes intelligence.

Looking forward to next week! Smile

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jun 22 2016, 5:57am)

Kim
Valinor

Jun 23 2016, 3:40am

Post #53 of 55 (143 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to cats16 for volunteering to cover this thread while I'm gone // [In reply to] Can't Post

"All we have to decide is what to do in the time that is given us."

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 24 2016, 8:40pm

Post #54 of 55 (125 views)
Shortcut
Independence Day: Resurgence [In reply to] Can't Post

Really fun special effects; hopelessly derivative, unfocused script with boring dialogue and characters and situations that are never developed or explained. Visual fluff for a hot, humid day in an air conditioned theater. Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 7 2016, 4:47pm

Post #55 of 55 (68 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the book recommendation! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.