Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the mid-June What are You Watching Thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kim
Valinor

Jun 14 2016, 2:46am

Post #1 of 55 (999 views)
Shortcut
It's the mid-June What are You Watching Thread! Can't Post

I watched Sisters with Amy Pohler and Tina Fey, or at least I attempted to. I like these two at awards shows, but their movies don't seem to work for me. This one was so gawd awful, I had to turn it off after 15 minutes.

FYI: Viggo Mortensen's latest movie Captain Fantastic won best film at the Seattle International Film Festival.

Game of Thrones - see next post *spoilers*

So, what have you been watching?

"All we have to decide is what to do in the time that is given us."

Kim
Valinor

Jun 14 2016, 2:47am

Post #2 of 55 (805 views)
Shortcut
Game of Thrones Ep 8 *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, another "set-up" episode, although I'm glad we finally got a resolution to Arya's story - wouldn't it be awesome if she made it back to Winterfell and reunited with Jon and Sansa? And it looks like the Hound is going to head north with the Brotherhood (heh, wouldn't that be interesting if he met up with Brienne on the way?) It was nice to see her and Jamie together again, I read some nice reviews about how she brings out the best in him. Too bad it didn't last longer.

Bring on the Battle of the Bastards!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 14 2016, 4:06am

Post #3 of 55 (793 views)
Shortcut
I've recently binge-watched seasons one and two of Beauty and the Beast. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a soft spot for fantasy romance - so sue me. (Season three has just been delivered to my doorstep so I'm looking forward to watching new episodes.) Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

a.s.
Valinor

Jun 14 2016, 11:22am

Post #4 of 55 (791 views)
Shortcut
First time GOT watcher--Please NO SPOILERS! [In reply to] Can't Post

ShockedShockedShocked

One shocked face for each season I've watched so far. Whoo, this is more violence than I'm used to, and as I said on Facebook, it hardly seems possible and yet it is possible to finally get bored with vicarious sex.

Heh.

Anyhow, I did not read the books, but things I've observed about the series so far: the invented world hangs together pretty well, and it is intriguing as heck to have so many different elements of trade and magic and gods intervening (and zombies) all sort of coalescing. However, many of the plot lines seem derivative and it is far, FAR too violent. I've started watching a lot of it with my eyes closed and my fingers in my ears.

You know what book it reminds me of? The Worm Ourobouros. Eddison's world was not well thought out, but the same sort of preoccupation with kings and violent means to an end.

Anyway, I'll be avoiding any replies that don't say "no spoilers", not trying to be rude. Just trying to be virgin.

Figuratively speaking.

Angelic

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

Annael
Immortal

Jun 14 2016, 2:57pm

Post #5 of 55 (779 views)
Shortcut
saw "Love & Friendship" and "The Lobster" [In reply to] Can't Post

"Love & Friendship" is well-done. It's based on "Lady Susan": Austen wrote this epistolary-style novella in her teens but never published it. The movie is true to the story, maybe overly so; the letters are replaced by a LOT of exposition, particularly by Lady Susan who TALKS AND TALKS her way through every situation, manipulating everyone around her. It's a tour de force for Kate Beckinsale. Some of the other characters are less subtle versions of characters we will meet in later Austen stories, particularly Sir James who is a much funnier take on the boring Mr. Collins; the audience soon learned to start laughing the minute he walked onscreen. Beautiful use of real stately homes & the costumes are gorgeous.

My sister & I had seen the trailer for "The Lobster" and thought it looked interesting, so we went. Over two hours later we looked at each other and said "what WAS that?" I still don't know. As others have said, it's very dark, but also full of darkly comedic moments. It's also violent, and there's one scene involving an animal that was hard for me. It went on and on; there's basically three acts to this movie, any one of which could have been a movie in itself, but sticking them together made it too long and also kept making us switch our ideas about what was being said. Now I'm a "meta" person and I usually love finding the obscure message in a metaphorical movie, but I have to say, I am really not sure what message I was supposed to get from this one. Except that being single in a world designed for couples can make one feel not only isolated but sometimes unfairly treated, which as a single person I already knew.

Colin Farrell is excellent.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jun 14 2016, 3:06pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2016, 5:05pm

Post #6 of 55 (763 views)
Shortcut
I caught Arsenic and Old Lace on TCM [In reply to] Can't Post

This movie alternately makes me laugh so hard I cry and scares the begeebers out of me. Cary Grant, his body language, his timing, his facial expressions.... oh my gosh, it truly is the best of classic comedy. But Raymond Massey scares me silly.

I can't tell which I like more, the laughter or the fright. Either way, it's a movie I could watch over and over! Come to think of it, I have! Cool

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2016, 6:10pm

Post #7 of 55 (755 views)
Shortcut
Yes, a definite classic [In reply to] Can't Post

Other Cary Grant movies that I enjoy....
Penny Serenade
Bachelor and Bobby Soxer
I was a Male War Bride
Operation Petticoat
Father Goose

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2016, 6:29pm

Post #8 of 55 (747 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Penny Serenade was just on too - not only Cary Grant but Irene Dunn! I cry every time.

Operation Petticoat still has me rolling - especially that scene in the crowded corridor of the sub. *ahem* I'll be in my bunk.

Father Goose - I love watching Cary Grant with all those kids running around. His facial expressions alone had me spit out my tea.

The first time I watched I Was A Male War Bride I laughed so hard I went out and bought it so I could watch it again.

Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer - Oh man, yes! Cary Grant and Myrna Loy. They play off each other so well! I loved another the two were in - Mr. Blandings Build His Dream House.

_

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 14 2016, 7:02pm

Post #9 of 55 (757 views)
Shortcut
Love and Friendship [In reply to] Can't Post

I went with my Austen-fan daughter and we laughed and laughed. I read the novelette earlier that day so I'd be prepared. (The movie is based on the book "Lady Susan" not the book "Love and Friendship".) The movie was not only faithful to the book but fleshed it out in a very amusing way.

Our favorite line wasn't a spoken line at all, but one of the opening credits. As each character appears on screen, the name of the character and a brief explanation of who they are appears. (This was very helpful; I had to make a sheet cheat to get through the first few pages of the book.) Anyway, here was the line that made us laugh the hardest: "Frederica: Lady Susan's Daughter. Sir James Martin: Her Unintended"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Annael
Immortal

Jun 14 2016, 10:51pm

Post #10 of 55 (734 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever seen 'Holiday'? [In reply to] Can't Post

with Cary Grant & Katharine Hepburn? One of my favs. Everyone knows "Bringing Up Baby" but I like this one even better.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 15 2016, 12:12am

Post #11 of 55 (726 views)
Shortcut
That's a wonderful film. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lew Ayres is also very fine in that 1938 movie, which was actually the second time the play was filmed; I've never seen the first version, with Ann Harding and Robert Ames in the Hepburn and Grant roles.

Besides Holiday and Bringing Up Baby, my other favorite Cary Grant films include His Girl Friday with Rosalind Russell, Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious (with Ingrid Bergman and Claude Rains) and North by Northwest (with Eva Marie Saint and James Mason), followed by Charade (with Audrey Hepburn) and one that many people haven't seen, People Will Talk (with Jeanne Crain). The last has some interesting connections with Akira Kurosawa's Red Beard.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jun 15 2016, 4:22am

Post #12 of 55 (710 views)
Shortcut
A lot of good Cary Grant movies [In reply to] Can't Post

... but how can you all forget and ignore "The Philadelphia Story"? Not only did it have Grant and Hepburn but it also featured Jimmy Stewart on the heels of "Destry Rides Again" and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington". Not as zany as "Arsenic and Old Lace" but quite the comedy on its own merits ...

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 15 2016, 4:43am

Post #13 of 55 (711 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen it! [In reply to] Can't Post

The film, that is. We did produce the play with our MFA students last year, though, so I do know the plot.

There is a connection to Holiday: both it and The Philadelphia Story were originally plays by Philip Barry (not to be confused with J.M. Barrie of Peter Pan fame), and the latter was, I think, actually written specifically for Katharine Hepburn as a star vehicle on Broadway at a time when she was considered "box office poison" in Hollywood.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2016, 6:29am

Post #14 of 55 (705 views)
Shortcut
Glad to read your positive response to Love and Friendship [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one I definitely want to see.

I think I'll skip on Lobster. There was a time I would have been up for it, but I don't have the patience for that sort of thing anymore. UnsureBut good for Colin Farrell! I've always liked him.

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jun 15 2016, 6:30am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2016, 7:08am

Post #15 of 55 (695 views)
Shortcut
Binge watched Cranford and Return To Cranford [In reply to] Can't Post

As you may know, these are based on the novel (novella? it's pretty short), Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. In order to have enough material to make a series of it, the producers had to add in plots and characters from some of Gaskell's other short stories. Yes, some liberties are taken, but they did a wonderful job blending the stories.

Return To Cranford featured Tom Hiddleston as a romantic lead and Michelle Dockery in a small part. Though this was fairly early in his career, Hiddleston was obviously going to be a star. But Dockery was far from the poised, elegant star of Downton Abbey she would soon be.

I think I'll have to re-read the books. The series reminded me why I love Gaskell: she combines the wit and observant eye of Jane Austen (okay, not quiet as witty as Austen, but close) with the sense of compassion and social justice of Charles Dickens...who was Gaskell's mentor and publisher.

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jun 15 2016, 7:10am)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jun 15 2016, 12:46pm

Post #16 of 55 (681 views)
Shortcut
X2: X-Men United [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 15 2016, 1:50pm

Post #17 of 55 (669 views)
Shortcut
I love Holiday [In reply to] Can't Post

I never really liked Bringing Up Baby - too slapstick for me, but then I never loved the I Love Lucy shows. To me, the humor is similar and just doesn't resonate with me.

But Holiday is more restrained, and there's some darker undercurrents that balance out the silliness.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2016, 3:34pm

Post #18 of 55 (660 views)
Shortcut
Cary grant was fantastic in The Philadelphia Story [In reply to] Can't Post

...as was Jimmy Stewart. But I have to say that even though it was written for Katherine Hepburn, I think Grace Kelly did a much better job of playing the same character in the musical version - High Society. She made it look effortless. My dream cast would have been Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly and Celeste Holm. I thought she also did a fantastic job with the character of the photographer in High Society.

_

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 15 2016, 5:16pm

Post #19 of 55 (654 views)
Shortcut
"Because I just went gay all of a sudden!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I adore Bringing Up Baby, and it is generally considered a high point of screwball comedy and in the career of its director, Howard Hawks, but you're not alone in preferring Holiday. One critic I admire faults Baby for being too precious. I'm glad to have both. What a year 1938 was for those two actors!

(The quote in my subject line is delivered by Grant's character in Baby, exasperatedly explaining to the Hepburn chararacter's mother why he's wearing a negligee (his own clothes are being laundered and Hepburn couldn't find anything else for him to wear). Grant apparently improvised the line, and it may represent the first use in film of "gay" to mean homosexuality.)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 15 2016, 9:04pm

Post #20 of 55 (637 views)
Shortcut
"Outlander," "Turn," and "Sabrina" [In reply to] Can't Post

Outlander - it's SO GOOD to see Graham McTavish back on the show, and I think he really shined in last Saturday's episode. Without giving much away, Dougal MacKenzie went from being man of the hour for bravery, to disgraced & exiled for brutality. Graham ran through the full gambit of emotions, starting with a haughty, "in your face" attitude, to literal joy (from killing people), to anger and revenge, and finally to humiliation. I mean, WOW!!! Probably the best episode of the season!

Turn - I gave up Dish Network because it had gotten too expensive, and decided to give SlingTV a try. Well, as soon as "Turn" is finished for the season, I'm cancelling SlingTV as well - what a disappointment! And sadly, the show is not much better. The storyline is supposed to be centered on Benedict Arnold's betrayal, but we keep getting this crap about Simcoe, Rogers, and that whiny-butt Abe Woodhull. I read a review where someone was saying they liked the character Robert Townsend so much that they'd be okay if Abe was killed off. Problem is, Abe survived this whole thing. You kind of gotta wonder why, since he's been so incompetent lately. I keep saying they need to put Mary Woodhull in charge - she gets things done! But I didn't get to see as much of her Monday, at least we're getting back to the REAL story.

And finally, Sabrina - funny story, my 20-year-old is back in town, and I suggested she watch "And Then There Were None" (which I still have a recording of). She agreed to give it a try for 20 minutes, IF I'd watch "Sabrina," which I've never seen. Well, 20 minutes into ATTWN, she was totally hooked! We watched "Sabrina" Sunday - the Hepburn-Bogart version - and what can I say? I ended up working on a homework assignment during about half the film. It didn't help that my older girl was over, and the two chatted during the movie, making it hard to keep up. But honestly, why would Sabrina try to kill herself over David? What a LOSER!!! Both my daughters are Audrey Hepburn fans, and I admit I like "Charades" and "Wait Until Dark" quite well. "Sabrina," meh.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Gianna
Rohan

Jun 15 2016, 9:26pm

Post #21 of 55 (638 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't intending to [In reply to] Can't Post

...but somehow I found myself watching Gilmore Girls. Love the snark. Laugh

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website...
...my fantasy novel Seascape...
...and my fantasy novel Starscape.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jun 17 2016, 1:45pm

Post #22 of 55 (576 views)
Shortcut
X-Men: Days of Future Past [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Kim
Valinor

Jun 18 2016, 12:23am

Post #23 of 55 (565 views)
Shortcut
Going to see that this weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like fun!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2016, 10:58am

Post #24 of 55 (553 views)
Shortcut
The Remains of the Day [In reply to] Can't Post

Had it in our Netflix queue. Excellent acting, but it ended and hubby and I just stared at the screen and said, that's it? What a sad movie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 18 2016, 3:52pm

Post #25 of 55 (543 views)
Shortcut
The book is better, but just as sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie makes, and probably had to make, explicit some things that the book only implies--because the text takes the form of Stevens's diary, and there are things he refuses to admit even to himself, but which the reader will catch nonetheless.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.