Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What was the better film: The Two Towers vs The Return of The King?
Poll: What was the better film: The Two Towers vs The Return of The King?
The Two Towers
The Return of the King
View Results (36 votes)

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Jun 10 2016, 9:08pm

Post #1 of 9 (767 views)
Shortcut
What was the better film: The Two Towers vs The Return of The King? Can't Post

I know a lot of people will say ROTK is the best because of it is a masterpiece and epic and a great conclusion. But there are people in this world who do like TTT better because of Helm's Deep and it has more character development. So which do you think is the best of the two films? By the way the whole trilogy is a masterpiece.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 10 2016, 9:49pm

Post #2 of 9 (733 views)
Shortcut
The Two Towers suffered a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

from "middle film syndrome", picking up with several newly-separate storylines and just moving everyone one stage closer to Mordor. The extra material in the Extended Edition helped more to add cohesiveness and flow than in either of the other movies, I think. There is great stuff in TTT, but I think ROTK still has the stronger story and makes the better film overall.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Jun 11 2016, 12:19am

Post #3 of 9 (715 views)
Shortcut
The Return of the King [In reply to] Can't Post

The best of all M-e movies and I've never been sold on the idea that "TTT" has more character development. Frodo and Sam (Pippin too) change much more in the final chapter and are the heart of the whole tale.

Annael
Immortal

Jun 11 2016, 2:48pm

Post #4 of 9 (686 views)
Shortcut
what she said // [In reply to] Can't Post

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jun 12 2016, 2:58am

Post #5 of 9 (662 views)
Shortcut
Definitely Return of the King [In reply to] Can't Post

As was stated earlier, TTT suffered a little from "middle film" syndrome and ROTK had much stronger moments to film. If nothing else, the end scene with Gandalf and the hobbits on the dock as Bilbo and Frodo were prepared to go West put it head and shoulders above TTT and pretty much the rest of the PJ M-e saga (although I will give PJ lots of credit for the end sequence in BOFA). As strong as the Battle of Helm's Deep was (including the heart-wrenching -- if non-canon -- scenes of Elven warriors dying alongside the Rohirrim), Aragorn's determination and speech before the Black Gate was better (and IMO redeemed Viggo Mortensen's performance as Aragorn).

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 18 2016, 12:28am

Post #6 of 9 (508 views)
Shortcut
Two Towers [In reply to] Can't Post

There's just something about that battle of Helm's Deep, I've said it before, but it captured a feeling of hopelessness that I've never seen again in any other movie - not even RoTK. And then Edoras! Oh, what a set!!! Now, I was completely sucked into Middle-earth in FoTR, so it's taken me a bit to figure out why Two Towers is my favorite, and I think it's because we're in the world of Men. I mean, FoTR starts in the Shire, then we have wizards & black riders, one human guy shows up, then we get Elves, and Gimli, of course. Not alot of normal people in this movie. Then we get to Two Towers - Eomer, Eowyn, Theoden, and Farimir, lots more normal people. Plus, when Aragorn is riding to Helm's Deep you have that breathtaking scenery - I used to say Two Towers co-starred Mount Cook, maybe that's the Southern Alps, not sure but it's just beautiful!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 18 2016, 12:29am

Post #7 of 9 (507 views)
Shortcut
Agree about the ending [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo sailing away forever - it just always makes me so sadUnsure

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2016, 7:47pm

Post #8 of 9 (348 views)
Shortcut
The Two Towers EE is my favorite of the three. [In reply to] Can't Post

To me it has the sense of adventure, the journey, of the first film, with the epicness of battle of the third. And i think it inter-cuts between the various threads of the story masterfully. I do love all three almost equally though. There are times that Fellowship is my favorite, and it definitely has the best ending-- it's last 20 minutes is just about as good as movie endings get. And Return has the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, which is an absolute wonder to behold. But there's just something about how the Extended Edition of The Two Towers moves along, jumping from storyline to storyline, that really grabs me, all culminating into the masterpiece that is the Battle of the Hornburg. It's also the one that i saw in the theater the most times. So yeah, i always go back to The Two Towers.

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 31 2020, 1:15pm

Post #9 of 9 (68 views)
Shortcut
ROTK for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if the best scene in all three movies for me still is the opening of FOTR. Darkness and then slowly Galadriel's voice ...
Will never forget that feeling the first time I saw that on the big screen.

But yes, ROTK for a whole film. I still cry buckets at the end of all things ... :-S ...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.