The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Things from the book you were surprised to see in the film

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Jun 10 2016, 5:38am

Post #1 of 9 (1359 views)
Shortcut
Things from the book you were surprised to see in the film Can't Post

For those who have read the book, was there anything that you didn't expect to make the movie adaptation, but which you were surprised to see make it in?

For me, after the deviation DOS made with Beorn's introduction, I wasn't expecting to see the pairs sequence in the EE.

I also remember being vaguely surprised when Dwalin was the first Dwarf to arrive at Bag End. I figured they'd either have Balin first or do away with the separate arrivals entirely.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 10 2016, 8:07am

Post #2 of 9 (1319 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I was surprised to see Bilbo getting knocked down during the battle and delivered his line "The eagles are coming".

I was also surprised to see that in the goblin tunnels Bilbo lost all his buttons from his coat.

Gianna
Rohan

Jun 10 2016, 12:28pm

Post #3 of 9 (1296 views)
Shortcut
I was happily surprised that they worked in the book's own introduction. [In reply to] Can't Post

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit" is one of the most iconic lines in literature and I was delighted that they made it work in the film. I was also surprised that Gandalf's "good morning" speech made it in. After AUJ's faithfulness in so many aspects, I was so hopeful for the rest of the trilogy... Frown

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website...
...my fantasy novel Seascape...
...and my fantasy novel Starscape.

Noria
Gondor

Jun 10 2016, 12:34pm

Post #4 of 9 (1291 views)
Shortcut
Can't say I was surprised about any book elements being included or left out. [In reply to] Can't Post

After seeing FotR for the first time, I tried to go into the rest of the six movies with no expectations. By that I mean no preconceptions of what would be included or omitted, not their quality. The quality I expected to be high.

I have been surprised plenty of times, usually pleasantly, by the embellishments that the film makers have added to these movies.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 10 2016, 2:09pm

Post #5 of 9 (1273 views)
Shortcut
No, not really.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...after all, anything that's in the book was a good candidate for inclusion in the film (though I admit I'd have been amazed to see dogs waiting at table).

One of the things that constantly delights me and has done from the beginning in the way PJ & his co-writers work is the way they bring in subtle references to incidental details in the books, or to Tolkien's wider mythology. So, for example, the Old Took's party, Gandalf talking about Bullroarer Took; the Blue Wizards whose names he couldn't rememember; the echoes of the Silmarillion, particularly in DoS - the list could run on and on. Or the way they give a quiet nod to things which they haven't used as Tolkien used them - the thrush communicating with Bilbo, Beorn's animal chess set - again, I could go on, and on.....

It's the small details like these rather than the big things that tell me these are people who care very much about the stories, and have made me eager to see what they would make of the next scene, and the next.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jun 16 2016, 3:43pm

Post #6 of 9 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Smaug Talking [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't think PJ and co would go for that literally, as it seemed too cheesy for even PJ to pull off. I thought they'd have him speak mentally (ala Galadriel). Boy am I glad I was wrong, because it was both intimidating and amazing!

Lio
Lorien

Jun 17 2016, 2:11am

Post #7 of 9 (971 views)
Shortcut
Were-worms [In reply to] Can't Post

Also to a lesser degree the stone-giants, they seemed to me like something that would be left out. Boy was I wrong. Tongue

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser! (Does anyone still use AIM?)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 17 2016, 3:02am

Post #8 of 9 (963 views)
Shortcut
I'll second that! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also to a lesser degree the stone-giants, they seemed to me like something that would be left out. Boy was I wrong. Tongue

I did not expect PJ to take the term 'stone-giant' quite so literally.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

weathertop
Rohan

Jun 17 2016, 2:26pm

Post #9 of 9 (933 views)
Shortcut
but i'm so glad he did. [In reply to] Can't Post

the stone giant quip from the book is one of my little tucked away favorite pieces.

what PJ did with that sequence is pretty close to what i imagined!

Enginerd

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.