Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Do you think Del Toro's Hobbit would've been better?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

glor
Rohan

Jun 5 2016, 6:22pm

Post #51 of 58 (706 views)
Shortcut
I would like it released myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would dispel some myths

No mascara can survive BOTFA

LSF
Gondor

Jun 5 2016, 6:49pm

Post #52 of 58 (698 views)
Shortcut
Gotta agree with Dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would the future super-edition of The Hobbit have an in-depth design/script feature on a movie that was being done by GDT that did not get made? Considering they redesigned/rewrote/recasted pretty much everything, what GDT did in his time on the project isn't really relevant. It just wouldn't feel appropriate.

Now if GDT wanted to release a book with his stuff independent of PJ's films, that's on him, and would be the more appropriate way to show what he had done. Though this book should not be part of the WETA Hobbit Chronicles series. Also, I can see a few valid reasons why he would not want to release his designs and such in any way.

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Jun 5 2016, 8:42pm

Post #53 of 58 (688 views)
Shortcut
It's most certainly owned and held by WB/MGM [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt GDT would have any say in the matter. I am sure his contract was a work for hire agreement much as you see in the comic industry or any creative industry. Any work designed or created while under a work for hire contract becomes the intellectual property of the company. This is why Marvel, DC, ect. hold ownership to the hundreds of characters they have published and the different interpretations of the same characters.

Any decision to release will be up to WB and I believe their is reason for them to do so. If they licensed a WETA chronicles book featuring GDT's designs and concepts for the movies, I would most certainly shell out the money. I would eagerly do the same in DVD/Blu Ray format.

(This post was edited by MedwedtoBeorn on Jun 5 2016, 8:43pm)

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Jun 7 2016, 11:39pm

Post #54 of 58 (617 views)
Shortcut
Rumors [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right, we'll never know for certain on all of them. Some we already know if they were only rumor or fact. Ron Perleman had confirmed he was cast in GDT's version.In fact, GDT was quoted as having wrote the part specifically for Perleman which indicated Beorn was going to more present in his vision of the story. It was initially a rumor and then finally confirmed by him. Brian Blessed also confirmed he had been cast as Dain Ironfoot when Billy Connaly was cast and he congratulated him. I think those instances lend themselves to believing the rumors of Ian McShane as Thorin were probably accurate as well. After seeing him in GoT Sunday night, I couldn't help lament what he would have brought to the character and one that would have been closer to the book.

If they have a few hours worth of appendix material from that time, I think it would be liquid gold and whether it was part of a six movie set or just a re-release WB/MGM would make their money back and then some. Mainly for two reasons, the first being the fandom has shown an appetite for behind the scene material in general. The second, the debate of what GDT movie would have been looked like or might have been have been a constant theme on the forums ever since he was announced as the director.

Lissuin
Valinor

Jun 8 2016, 4:01am

Post #55 of 58 (611 views)
Shortcut
Graham McTavish mentions Brian Cox as Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

At the Wellington Armageddon/Comic Con this past weekend, Graham had a panel talk where someone asked about the GDT Hobbit. He said people are still feeling a bit reluctant to talk about the differences, but maybe one day they won't be. The only one thing Graham did say was that "Brian Cox would have been Thorin in Guillermo's Hobbit". That would have meant an older book-age Thorin. And whether or not that would have eventuated I imagine we'll never really know.

I looked up earlier TORN posts and threads about casting and rumours of casting, and these two were somewhat relevant.

rumour of Brian Cox as one of the dwarves for GDT
http://www.theonering.net/...n-cox-rumors-abound/

announcement of initial cast list for Jackson's "Hobbit"
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=288128#288128

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jun 9 2016, 1:58am

Post #56 of 58 (576 views)
Shortcut
Not really much for Del Toro myself, to be honest. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Jun 10 2016, 11:26pm

Post #57 of 58 (540 views)
Shortcut
Definitely different [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Peter-Jackson-Explains-What-Happened-Guillermo-Del-Toro-Work-Hobbit-32668.html

The New Zealand filmmaker recently sat down for an interview with i09 and revealed that while some of del Toro's work on The Hobbit is still sprinkled throughout the upcoming fantasy movie, for the most part it was replaced. "I looked at his designs when he took over and a lot of his designs are very Guillermo . . . it was very much stuff that you would recognize from Pan's Labyrinth or Hellboy," Jackson said. "It was his artistic vision and I couldn't make that movie. I looked at his designs and I said the only person who can make a Guillermo Del Toro movie is Guillermo. It shouldn't be me. I can't put my head into somebody else's idea — I have to generate it from the beginning." He continued by saying that he then took it upon himself to redesign the film, but that it wasn't a complete redo as he still included some of del Toro's "DNA." Said Jackson, "There were some things he did that I thought were pretty cool and I've taken bits of pieces of his stuff — kind of altering it and changing it as I saw it. But the film was largely redesigned."

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jun 16 2016, 3:51pm

Post #58 of 58 (473 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

While I have my (somewhat small) issues with what we got, I have a hard time imagining anyone else bringing the book to life like PJ did.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.