The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I've changed my mind on DOS...

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Jun 7 2016, 8:49pm

Post #1 of 7 (1285 views)
Shortcut
I've changed my mind on DOS... Can't Post

Look, I hated Desolation of Smaug (it was least favorite of all six movies) and I was also disappointed with Battle of the Five Armies. But recently after watching An Unexpected Journey for a Middle-Earth movie marathon, I usually skip Desolation of Smaug and go straight to BOFA because it's shorter and I am not as exhausted at the end of it. But this time, I decided to watch Desolation of Smaug.
Boy was I wrong about this movie. The Desolation of Smaug is an incredible movie. Is it as good as the Lord of the Rings trilogy? No. Is it a good movie altogether? Yes! The Desolation of Smaug has now became my favorite film in the Hobbit trilogy. When I first saw the barrel scene in theaters, I hated it but now I think it is a really cool action sequence. When I first saw the cliffhanger for the first time, I knew it was coming because I hated this film so much that I assumed that the Erebor chase sequence was basically the final battle of the movie but after watching it again I thought it went by so fast. I looked at the time and realized the sequence is only 15 minutes long + intercutting it with Legolas and Bolg. I realized Alfird isn't as annoying as he is in BOFA. I do have some issues with this film though like I didn't care for the political stuff and sometimes I felt the romance was forced but I'm nitpicking. Even though Bilbo wasn't really in the spotlight, he was still the driving force of the movie like Frodo in the Two Towers. Now that the movies are over and focusing on other movies that have came out pushing these films to the side, watching this movie again has made me feel excited for Middle-Earth again and I hadn't had that feeling for Middle-Earth since the first teaser of An Unexpected Journey. I think out of the three Hobbit films, DOS has the tone of LOTR and feels more like those amazing movie. Do you agree or disagree?

If you guys want to know the new viewing order for Middle Earth movie marathon that I discovered, go to my post on Main.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 7 2016, 10:24pm

Post #2 of 7 (1226 views)
Shortcut
AUJ vs. DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a tossup for me as to which is the better movie. AUJ feels most like the Hobbit book (to me at least), I like how the Prologue sets up the film, totally LOVE the entire Bag End sequence, I will admit that the Warg chase was a bit long but that scene where Thorin says "Hold your Ground!" Love it. And you couldn't have had a better "Riddles in the Dark," no way!!! But I think it was a slower paced film. Now DOS I love for the opposite reasons - very action packed, yes some of it was OTT but so what, I love that stuff! The Barrels scene is probably my favorite, but I loved the conflict between Thorin and Thranduil, the Laketown reveal, and of course the Hidden Door scene, glorious! And then SMAUG!!! I don't think there has ever been a better dragon, and that entrance where he comes out of the gold coins, is just AWESOME!!! Yeah, I'm a fan, can you tell?

BUT I would probably put it closer to FoTR in tone. Yeah, it got darker, the stakes were raised, but neither movie has anything on TTT. Something about that Helm's Deep battle sequence, I don't know how PJ did it but that carried such a melancholy, hopeless feeling that I've not seen in any movie since, not even RoTK. I'll check out your viewing order, might be as hilarious as the Star Wars viewing order, hmmmm.Wink

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 7 2016, 10:44pm

Post #3 of 7 (1227 views)
Shortcut
I've always liked DOS best. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, AUJ was very uneven, equally split between things I really liked, and things I didn't. The Bag End intro was good, as was the Riddles scene with Gollum. The trolls were "meh" for me, and I really don't like the Great Goblin and much of the Goblintown sequence. I was extremely bugged by the tipping pine trees, but loved the Eagles. And so on.

DOS, for me, was a much more coherent movie, including many things I loved (Smaug, Thranduil, Bard) and nothing I really hated. There are parts I like less, or would wish done differently, but they don't bug overmuch.

BOFA was back to being uneven again, with highs and lows.

It's interesting how perceptions can change over time and multiple viewings, isn't it? The first time through, you can get so much cognitive dissonance from changes or unmet expectations that it can be hard to process. I know each of the LOTR films, much as I love them, needed a "settling in" period before I could really just sit and watch them without my own ideas or expectations getting in the way. I'm glad that when the dust settled, you found you liked DOS better than before. Smile

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 8 2016, 8:48am

Post #4 of 7 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the light! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I'm sorry, I shouldn't say that and I'm really only teasing myself as much as anyone, but I read your post with a rapidly broadening smile. I loved this film on first viewing and with time have grown to love it more, especially in its extended version. It goes without saying that there are things I wouldn't have done - that's true of all six films. Someone else's vision of a story I already inhabit will never be the same as mine and I take the 'hmmm' moments in that sense and enjoy their version and the film for what it is.

And having now sat through years of people complaining that this or that is terribly wrong, and piling all the insults on the film that they can think of, it's lovely to see that someone who really hated the film on first viewing can revisit it and find that their opinion has changed completely. I agree that DoS is amazing - and I'm very glad you'd feeling excited with Middle-earth again.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Jun 10 2016, 5:40am

Post #5 of 7 (998 views)
Shortcut
My view on DOS has improved [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a bit underwhelmed with DOS for a long time, and ranked DOS and BOFA at the bottom of my Middle-Earth film ranking. But after the EE came out, I've come to appreciate DOS a lot more. Also, the barrel sequence, which I found a bit tedious before, I've come to appreciate as a really fun adventure setpiece.

Noria
Gondor

Jun 10 2016, 12:41pm

Post #6 of 7 (975 views)
Shortcut
Always loved The Desolation of Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS and AUJ go back and forth as my favourite of the three Hobbit movies, with TBOTFA somewhat behind.

I enjoy how the basic story of the Company traversing Mirkwood, meeting Thranduil and the Wood Elves, Laketown, Bard and the Master and then at last reaching the Mountain has been developed and embellished. I like the geopolitical stuff with Thranduil and Tauriel, and Gandalf. And I love everything about Smaug: his look, his voice, his movements, the acting, the location and the music.

I recently finished listening to the commentaries for TH trilogy again and in the one for DOS, PJ several times mentions that DOS, rather than TBOTFA, is actually the third film that emerged when the two to three movie decision was made. You can tell that anyway because it has a lot of footage shot later, as evidenced by the maturing of John Bell.

MyWeeLadGimli said above “the barrel sequence, which I found a bit tedious before, I've come to appreciate as a really fun adventure setpiece. “ That is how it has been for me after my first viewing of any of the six movies: the action, fight and battle sequences seem too long and a bit tedious. But after seeing them again, I come to appreciate that each such sequence is a little story in itself, character and plot driven, meticulously choreographed and just plain fun.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Jun 22 2016, 4:42am

Post #7 of 7 (690 views)
Shortcut
Now... [In reply to] Can't Post

... After some serious time has passed since P.J. wrapped up the EE's... I am inclined to agree. I think now, that The Desolation of Smaug is the best of the Hobbit films (if we must break them apart into their installments, which I've done for this thread, but don't really do in my mind and heart; there is just one Hobbit film now - like The Lord of the Rings) and is also the one that is closest to taking a seat next to the outstanding quality of TLotR. Nevertheless, anytime I am asked to type out or post or to say my top five (10, 20, whatever) fantasy films ever made, my response now has to always begin in this way:

1. The Lord of the Rings (2001 - 2004)

2. The Hobbit (2012 - 2015)

"Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right... even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, 'No, YOU move.'"
- Captain America: Civil War

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.