Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
3 Questions for the Fans (and non-fans too, if they would like to participate)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

May 25 2016, 9:21pm

Post #26 of 40 (893 views)
Shortcut
Let's see [In reply to] Can't Post

- AUJ: Three times
- DOS: Two times
- BOTFA: One time

- AUJ: Twice in 3D, once in 2D
- DOS: One in 3D, once in 2D
- BOTFA: Once in 3D

Stayed through the main credits for all of them, would've stayed longer by family wouldn't appreciate it as much as I would Tongue

Eldy
Tol Eressea

May 30 2016, 6:56pm

Post #27 of 40 (843 views)
Shortcut
My answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I've seen each film twice. Once for the TE, once for the EE.

2. I saw each film in 2D when it was first in theatres. I watched AUJ-EE on DVD, DOS-EE through Amazon streaming, and BOFA-EE during the one-night theatrical premiere thingy.

3. I'm pretty sure I stayed to the end of the credits for AUJ, but I'm not sure about any of the others.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jun 4 2016, 3:48am

Post #28 of 40 (799 views)
Shortcut
Why ''I had to ask''? [In reply to] Can't Post

I only wanted to ask. :D Didn't understood the ''had to'' part...

And I believe you used ''non sequitur'' incorrectly.

In Reply To
P.S. Thank you for inviting me!

You're welcome! Smile

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jun 4 2016, 3:55am

Post #29 of 40 (796 views)
Shortcut
Formats. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
2. Once in TE, Once in EE

I meant in which format as in 2D, 3D, HFR, etc, not which version of the film you watched.

But thanks for answering the thread, anyway (even though you are not a fan). Wink

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jun 4 2016, 4:05am

Post #30 of 40 (793 views)
Shortcut
*Didn't UNDERSTAND........... (non-native speaker here) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 4 2016, 1:13pm

Post #31 of 40 (779 views)
Shortcut
I admire all whose 2nd language is English and they have a decent grasp [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I only wanted to ask. :D Didn't understood the ''had to'' part...

“You had to ask” is a flippant or facetious statement (“did you really HAVE to ask?”), (perhaps an Americanized idiom?)

In Reply To
And I believe you used ''non sequitur'' incorrectly.

Possibly, but loosely a “non sequitur” is an illogical conclusion taken from a question or statement, or an illogical question which leads to an unanswerable answer.

As I hadn’t seen the movies (of course you didn’t know this) it is an illogical question to ask “In what format did you watch each movie? “ I cannot logically answer the question as its premise presupposes I had seen the movies.
Or, “How often do you beat your wife?”, cannot be logically answered as the premise is that you DO beat your wife.

Cheers Smile

Edited to say that even our favorite professor takes some liberties with the English language. Read the first 2-3 pages of The Hobbit and be parenthesized and "dashed" to a fare-thee-well.

'Still it might be well for all if all these strengths were joined, and the powers of each were used in league.'
-Glóin

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Jun 4 2016, 1:20pm)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jun 5 2016, 6:15pm

Post #32 of 40 (755 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. AUJ once, DOS once, and BO5A five times (because something finally went *click* in my brain Tongue so I went to see the same movie many times - never typical for me - and found my way to TORn in between the viewings).

2. AUJ and DOS in 2D (I think - it may have been 3D), BO5A in 3D HFR four times and then once in 2D because it had left the larger theaters and was no longer offered in 3D (or HFR).

3. I almost always do, it's a habit. In BO5A I wanted to take in the art on the background of the credits, and because the ending felt bleak and sad, the credits also worked as a "transition" for returning from Middle-earth to the present.

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Jun 5 2016, 6:16pm)

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jun 6 2016, 1:47am

Post #33 of 40 (737 views)
Shortcut
In that case [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I meant in which format as in 2D, 3D, HFR, etc, not which version of the film you watched.

But thanks for answering the thread, anyway (even though you are not a fan). Wink

IIRC, I saw AUJ TE in HFR IMAX (don't remember if it was also 3D or not). DOS TE, I think in 3D. Everything else was 2D.

makingstarwars
Bree

Jun 6 2016, 2:43am

Post #34 of 40 (734 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Twice each
Hfr both times each film in a xtra large screen billed as an imax alternative because none of the official imax here were doing hfr
Since the dawn of the mcu I have taken to online sources to ensure wether there is any benefit to staying through th credits no need to guess

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jun 14 2016, 8:05am

Post #35 of 40 (685 views)
Shortcut
I got that........ [In reply to] Can't Post

But if you really think about it, NO ONE here ''has'' to ask anything. We are not paid to do any of this, i.e., to post our opinions and such, and certainly not obligated. Therefore ANY posting here is self-indulgence and hence my OP and its questions are no exception. Smile

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 14 2016, 2:02pm

Post #36 of 40 (661 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps not? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I got that…….
But if you really think about it, NO ONE here ''has'' to ask anything. We are not paid to do any of this, i.e., to post our opinions and such, and certainly not obligated. Therefore ANY posting here is self-indulgence and hence my OP and its questions are no exception. Smile

My original posting on this thread was simply meant as a little humor (apparently very little Wink) as I was unable to properly answer your questions as I hadn’t seen any of The Hobbit movies in a theater, and only the first one (at home), and was in no way intended as a deprecation of your original intent.

My second posting started as a compliment to you personally, being a “non-native speaker”:
"I admire all whose 2nd language is English and they have a decent grasp … "

I then went on in attempt to explain my Americanized terminology and thinking. Crazy

As your latest post gives one the impression that you are somewhat vexed at my postings, apologies for any misunderstanding. Angelic

(Perhaps someone could better explain my use of the word "had" as in "you had to ask??)

'Still it might be well for all if all these strengths were joined, and the powers of each were used in league.'
-Glóin

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jun 15 2016, 12:35pm

Post #37 of 40 (602 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I think I REALLY get it now... [In reply to] Can't Post

Your ''you had to ask'' was just a little joke about yourself being unable to answer my questions, since you hadn't seen the films in theaters.

Therefore it was PRECISELY the sort of question that somebody on the forums could make and you would not be able to reply.

In all honesty, I thought you were implying I was asking useless questions that I really didn't have to. Especially seeing as you are a self-labeled 'Tolkien purist' and don't enjoy the six movies that much (and thus could be dismissive of my questions). The ''thank you for inviting me'' at the end only worsened the situation.

I accept your apology and I understand that you were not trying to attack me or something.

So it's all cleared up, right? Smile

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 15 2016, 6:21pm

Post #38 of 40 (575 views)
Shortcut
RIGHT! And why couldn’t I have put it so simply? [In reply to] Can't Post

YES! It was meant more as a joke on myself and not a dig on your legitimate OP.
YES! No personal attack was ever intended as your questions WERE legitimate and definitely not ‘useless’.

And right – the “Thank you for inviting me!” was simply my humorous(?) way of joining in, not being a big movie fan, and as you invited “non-fans too, if they would like to participate”.

So – PERFECT! I think we’re ‘all cleared up’ and GOOD.

Cheers all over ya! Smile Smile

-Glóin

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jun 17 2016, 3:02am

Post #39 of 40 (548 views)
Shortcut
Thank you... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

IIRC, I saw AUJ TE in HFR IMAX (don't remember if it was also 3D or not). DOS TE, I think in 3D. Everything else was 2D.

For 'properly' answering this time (no irony). Wink

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jun 17 2016, 3:29am

Post #40 of 40 (545 views)
Shortcut
I am glad..... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have been able to sort this out. Cheers back to youl!! CoolCool

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.