Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's time for another What are You Watching thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

May 25 2016, 7:44pm

Post #26 of 67 (1193 views)
Shortcut
speaking of trailers [In reply to] Can't Post

This one has me wishing I didn't have to wait 10 more months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c38r-SAnTWM

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

cats16
Half-elven

May 25 2016, 8:58pm

Post #27 of 67 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to your thoughts! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be seeing it again soon.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Kim
Valinor

May 26 2016, 12:12am

Post #28 of 67 (1188 views)
Shortcut
Hodor [In reply to] Can't Post

poor Hodor though, his whole life was spent waiting to provide the ultimate service to his liege lords.

I've seen several blogs/reviews comment on this as well, but it didn't actually occur to me that Hodor remembered what happened to him and therefore knew what his whole life was leading towards. I think that his brain was scrambled enough by the trauma that he didn't know what happened, or what was going to happen. At least I hope so. Unsure

"All we have to decide is what to do in the time that is given us."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 26 2016, 3:00am

Post #29 of 67 (1180 views)
Shortcut
The actor Kristian Nairn... [In reply to] Can't Post

...who plays Hodor has done a number of interviews over the past couple days, and that seems to be in line with his thinking as well. I'm glad for that. I wouldn't want to think that Hodor went through his entire life knowing he was marching toward a predetermined death. That would be too much. Unsure

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Ciars
Rohan

May 26 2016, 6:54am

Post #30 of 67 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Shadows [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that his mind was scrambled, it would be awful if he knew that he would face such a terrible end. I kind of meant his whole life from the point of scrambling was spent in a kind of limbo waiting for that moment when he would sacrifice himself for Bran, when his mind trauma finally met with the physical trauma. Really hope that Hodor doesn't become a walker though! That would be awful!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 26 2016, 11:41pm

Post #31 of 67 (1132 views)
Shortcut
New York: A Documentary Film [In reply to] Can't Post

We have been watching New York: A Documentary Film produced by Ric Burns (brother of Ken). It was a PBS series via American Experience, comprised of 8 2-hr shows, covering the social and political history of New York City from the early Dutch settlers in the 17th Century to the aftermath of 9/11. The first 5 episodes aired in 1999, and the next 2 in 2001 with a final episode airing in 2003 (covering the WTC attack & aftermath). It's easily one of the best documentary series I've seen. Somehow we missed it the first time around, and I strongly urge you to see it, if you missed it as well. It's available on Amazon Prime (which is how we saw it), DVDs from PBS, and other ways as well. Episode after episode, we've ended up saying to each other, "That is amazing. What an incredible show."

Kim
Valinor

May 27 2016, 12:13am

Post #32 of 67 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that sounds great [In reply to] Can't Post

Adding to my list.

Meneldor
Valinor

May 27 2016, 12:32am

Post #33 of 67 (1125 views)
Shortcut
Captain America: Civil War [In reply to] Can't Post

finally! You guys don't make it easy to stay spoiler free, but I managed somehow. So, yeah, summer blockbuster popcorn action movie, but we've seen enough of these characters to have some real history and investment in most of them, and seeing them fight should be disturbing. Unfortunately, I never got a sense that they were in any real danger from each other; most of the fights were just beating on each other's armor and walking away with bruises. When they actually *SPOILER hurt WM*, that was the only time I really felt like the stakes were as high as they ought to be. Also, the trend of weak and forgettable villains continues; we need to get some Loki plotting soon.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Omnigeek
Lorien

May 27 2016, 1:47am

Post #34 of 67 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Space Brothers, Kimagure Orange Road, Last Man Standing [In reply to] Can't Post

Space Brothers is a relatively new Japanese anime. Set slightly in the future, it sets out the story of two brothers, both determined to be astronauts. It really captures the joy and adventure of space exploration as well as presenting the decisions and thought processes of the engineers and astronauts involved. It's right up there with "From the Earth to the Moon" in my book.

Kimagure Orange Road is old-school 1980s anime. Ayukawa Madoka was the prototypical tsundere, someone who starts off cold and hostile but gradually warms to the other major protagonist, Kasuga Kyosuke, a 15-year-old boy with telekinetic powers but a nearly fatal case of indecision. It features classic 1980s J-pop rock, lots of humor, and high school romance that manages to be sweet without being saccharine or "girly".

Last Man Standing ... well, what can I say? Tim Allen is all you need to know.

Starling
Half-elven

May 27 2016, 5:29am

Post #35 of 67 (1107 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 27 2016, 10:00pm

Post #36 of 67 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Love and Friendship, a new Jane Austen movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I just saw Love and Friendship today, from the Jane Austen book "Lady Susan" and enjoyed it very much. Not much of a plot but it didn't matter, the dialogue is the star here and it kept me chuckling and laughing all the way through. I think this was one of the funniest Jane Austen movies I've ever seen, and of course brings up the question of why naughty people are so much more fun to watch in movies than nice people. Smile I think Austen fans would be bound to enjoy this just for the conversation and characters.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 27 2016, 11:24pm

Post #37 of 67 (1095 views)
Shortcut
The frequent images of the city skyline... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with the former World Trade Center prominently visible are a little unnerving, but don't really detract from a great series.

Annael
Immortal

May 28 2016, 2:49pm

Post #38 of 67 (1086 views)
Shortcut
ooh, can't wait. [In reply to] Can't Post

It arrives here Friday and I will be at the first showing!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 28 2016, 2:52pm

Post #39 of 67 (1082 views)
Shortcut
I'm watching the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings again, and I still think they're great. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

May 28 2016, 8:12pm

Post #40 of 67 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Jeez, the cast just keeps thinning out, doesn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm trying to think of who is still around from the very beginning. The four remaining Starks (assuming Uncle Benjen is in fact dead) including resurrected Jon, four remaining Lannisters, Daenerys, Jorah, Theon, Sam, Varys, Littlefinger and Ghost by my count.

The conversation between Martin and the showrunners about what endgame will be must have been something. At this point, I'm wondering if Martin is cynical enough to actually do something like have Littlefinger ultimately win the "Game". Unfortunately, it's already been shown and stressed that good doesn't always win and often has little to do with the matter. It's simply a matter of who can keep power and momentum without a misstep.

Kim
Valinor

May 28 2016, 10:39pm

Post #41 of 67 (1078 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently re-watched the first episode and kept thinking, "he's dead, she's dead, he's dead..." Kinda depressing. There's a picture I just saw posted somewhere that has all 5 books stacked on top of each other with little colored flags for every death. There were a lot. I've also started following http://winteriscoming.net and they have a weekly post called Valar Morghulus that goes through all the major characters chances of dying in the current ep (Hodor's was always Hodor%). Unsure

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 29 2016, 12:10am

Post #42 of 67 (1059 views)
Shortcut
...and it looks like [In reply to] Can't Post

Bill Pullman was sent to the same place as Mark Hamill for his makeover. Laugh

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Annael
Immortal

May 30 2016, 3:11pm

Post #43 of 67 (1026 views)
Shortcut
this is why I stopped reading GoT [In reply to] Can't Post

and why I disagree with the often-repeated statement that Martin is more "realistic" than Tolkien. The pendulum of death has swung way too far over in his story, and I need a central character I can 1. care about who 2. lives to the end.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Kim
Valinor

May 31 2016, 2:01am

Post #44 of 67 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Let's keep going with this thread for this week since it's still pretty high on the first page [In reply to] Can't Post

See next post for Game of Thrones spoilers.

Haven't watched a lot in the last week as all of my tv shows have wrapped up for the summer. Kind of petered out with House of Cards, and am debating diving into binge-watching another show. Might take a breather for a bit as things have been rather busy. Did end up catching a lot of the Harry Potter marathon this weekend though. Smile

So, what have you been watching?

Kim
Valinor

May 31 2016, 2:05am

Post #45 of 67 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Game of Thrones Ep 6 *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of taking a breather - I was all prepared for another round of deaths this week and nothing! Kind of a relief after the heartwrenching ep last week and kind of breakneck speed up to this point of most of the storylines. Glad that they revealed Uncle Benjen pretty quickly, and looks like we're setting up for a big confrontation at Riverrun (I'd forgotten that Tobias Menzies was Edmure!) The whole High Sparrow thing was a bit of a letdown and oh geez Tommen, what have you done? Glad that Arya didn't follow through on her assignment and hope she's headed out of there next week.

For those who have read the books, anyone think that Brienne is headed towards her book storyline with her trip to Riverrun? And might we just see another book character come back to play her part in it?

To answer lionoferebor's questions:
1) I've recently come up with a theory that no one will take the throne of the Seven Kingdoms, instead, they will break apart back into separate kingdoms where at least Dany, Jon and Tyrion will be leaders.
2) I think Jon's parents are Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen, thus giving Jon a claim to the throne. Don't think we'll find out until the last ep though.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 31 2016, 2:23am

Post #46 of 67 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars: The Force Awakens [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherwise known as EmoBoy Pulls a Tantrum.

Actually, this was a fun movie to watch, more for the fun of looking for nods to the first set of movies than anything else - 2nd generation flyers, returning characters... loved seeing Han and Leia together again even if their dialogue seemed a bit... juvenile. I had the feeling I was listening to fan fiction being read for a fleeting moment. But Han and Chewy are still sniping at each other and C3PO and R2D2 were too, just like old married couples. In fact, those interactions felt more real than Han and Leia.

I did love the lead characters Rey and Finn. They have a chemistry together that is hard to fake. The scene where they make it off Jakuu and are talking over each other reminds me of Gable-Lombard kind of dialog in the old movies.

The visuals were great too. I'm not big on visual effects, they have to be part of the story, but these seemed pretty good. Rey stalling the Millennium Falcon (I think that's what she did) to out maneuver the bad guys was so cool!

Glad I watched it, hope the next one is written better.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Annael
Immortal

May 31 2016, 3:22pm

Post #47 of 67 (984 views)
Shortcut
the Magicians [In reply to] Can't Post

anyone else watching this Syfy series? It's well-done I think, even if almost everyone in the cast is 22 and pretty (how I love British shows for casting people who look real!). I love the premise that the fantasy series that the young & pretty man who is the protagonist grew up loving - and was considered a complete nerd by everyone else because of it - turns out to be a true story of a real place that one can actually go to, if one has magic, which a lot of young & pretty people apparently do. (And a few older & handsome people.) The villain is particularly scary . . . in part because you can't see his face, his head is a bunch of moths flying around . . . OMG, he must be evil because he might be ugly, why else would he hide his face?

Okay, clearly I'm not the demographic they're aiming for. But I'm still liking it.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2016, 7:05pm

Post #48 of 67 (976 views)
Shortcut
I really hope so. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And might we just see another book character come back to play her part in it?

Now the audience has been reminded that death isn't permanent, her return to the story won't seem as 'out there'. And perhaps she'll be less of a cow to Jon, considering they've both had the same experience.

As for what's to come, perhaps Jon and Dany will marry to bring the bloodlines together?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 31 2016, 10:19pm

Post #49 of 67 (974 views)
Shortcut
TURN - questions for other viewers of TURN [In reply to] Can't Post

So, last night's episode where Benedict Arnold throws a ball while Townsend Sr. throws a small party; gotta say I've got some questions about that. If you watch the show, I'd love to chat about it! My biggest question is, has this show "Jumped the Shark?" I mean, I've finally gotten fed up enough with "Once Upon a Time" to where I'm done with that show, and "TURN" may be following suit. Here's the problem: We've got a blinded Robert Rogers kinda sorta helping Abe, because he wants revenge against Major Andre, and psycho Simkoe is after him. Problem is, both historical men survived the war, so we really can't get the cool showdown that the current season seems to be building up to. Hmmmm. And though I don't think it happened in history, I'm about ready for them to cut Abe Woodhull out and give that part to Townsend Jr., who also historically played a big role in the "Culper" ring. But last night's episode makes it look like the Townsends will quit & Abe is kicked out. See, that's kind of aggravating to me, almost as bad as Anna's marrying Hewlit. WHY are they creating this fake, pretty much historically unsupportable drama, when they've got the REAL drama playing out in Philadelphia???

And that's where the show is keeping me! That Peggy Shippen, I mean, WOW! I'd like to put her in a contest with Abe's wife Mary to see who is the most ruthless! The ball was fun, kind of like high school, lots of pretty costumes & naughty gossip. Martha Washington could be fun as well, but we'll see. Not crazy about the actor playing Benedict Arnold, but maybe it's just the way they're writing the character, like the spoiled, whiny Quarterback of the high school team. Seriously, my favorite character has always been Ben Tallmage, looks like his "traitor radar" has been triggered by that weird title about mickles & muckles. I bought the book "Washington's Spies" last year, the show is based on this book - maybe this year I'll find the time to READ it! Not too worried about the book spoiling the series (like reading GoT probably would spoil that one), since the series is playing sooo fast & loose with history.

One final question - so, Simkoe's men raid this house, hold the husband at gunpoint while one of the Rangers apparently has his way with the wife. Simkoe just kind of looks at him - doesn't intervene or tell him to stop, but that LOOK, I can't figure it out. Seemed to be somewhat disapproving, or at least "are you done yet?", but what does anyone else think? Yeah, it was a pretty rough scene, I'm glad it wasn't any more graphic than what they showed.ShockedShockedShocked

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jun 1 2016, 1:04am

Post #50 of 67 (959 views)
Shortcut
I've been pretty disappointed in Turn [In reply to] Can't Post

It irks me that they distort history as much as they do to create fake drama. This was one of the most successful and secretive spy rings in history so it's understandable they have to fill in some details but there really isn't any need to mess around with the actual history in order to create Hollywoodesque drama. I was hoping the series would be more factual, like "From the Earth to the Moon" was for the space program but exposing an aspect of American history that isn't taught in most schools. What we've got is Peyton Place in Setauket.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.