Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Are you a risk-taker?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Are you a risk-taker?
Have to say yes, because I often . . . (tell us!)
In general, no, but sometimes yes
Never if I can help it
Well, if just being alive counts . . .
Other
View Results (36 votes)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2016, 2:17pm

Post #26 of 30 (322 views)
Shortcut
I thought about this yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

as I was talking to a dad whose youngest just graduated. "where is he going to college?" I asked. "He'll be at XYZ college along with his older brother and sister." Had to fix my face quickly over that. He's a nice guy and I didn't want him to see my horror. Attending the same school? What happened to branching out? Similar thing happened with a friend of my daughter. She went to her parents' college, majored in elementary school education just like both her parents, and her first job was in the same small elementary school as her parents. Guess where she lived? With her parents.

Folks around here are proud of the fact that they are the only school still holding graduation on the football field. Cities like Baltimore or Washington, DC are to be avoided like the plague. Many of these people haven't been out-of-town for years unless you count the planned community town right next door that has a Walmart.

Yup, here, I'm a big risk-taker!

...and the MegaMillions Jackpot is over 200 million! Maybe is my week to fund those adventures! Cool

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 24 2016, 4:23am

Post #27 of 30 (257 views)
Shortcut
Almost never [In reply to] Can't Post

but I have been known to go running down a mountainside with lightning crashing around me.

I definitely don't worry about terrorism. I figure statistically it's so much less of a danger to me than my daily commute.

Misto
Lorien

Sep 27 2016, 7:52pm

Post #28 of 30 (225 views)
Shortcut
Guilty as charged [In reply to] Can't Post

Move across the country for a job you know little about? Sure, why not?
"The horse is totally bonkers but worth the while if you actually get though to her"... 'course I had to take on the challenge. (and I regularly curse myself for it but never mind, I like it anyway Wink)
"Ummmm... you could have waited for me instead of climbing the ladder in heels..." - "Sure I could have but that would have taken too long and anyway I got the files down, didn't I?"

Generally, I try to ask "why not" instead of "why". Sometimes my ideas and choices are less than brilliant, but hey... sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I'd rather try and fail than not try at all.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 12 2017, 3:49am

Post #29 of 30 (196 views)
Shortcut
Many times in my life [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had to make a choice of staying when it made no sense or changing my approach and just start over. Most of those times, I would start over and start fresh.

When my marriage fell apart, I took my 2 daughters and moved out to another part of town (with no money or support). It was the right thing to do in a very unhealthy relationship and situation. When it proved after a year that wasn't far enough, I moved with the kids from mid-Michigan to a promised job in Indianapolis over 300 miles away. I had no idea where I was going to end up. I had a map, a tank of gas, and the kids in the back seat.

On the other end of the scale, I've climbed a tree with a chainsaw to clear a dangerous branch.

I take chances all the time... even though I'd really enjoy sitting some of them out! ;)

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 31 2020, 1:10pm

Post #30 of 30 (35 views)
Shortcut
I hate risks [In reply to] Can't Post

try to have backups and backups to the backups and best case plan A B and C before risking anything!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.