Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's time for another What are You Watching thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2016, 2:43am

Post #51 of 67 (689 views)
Shortcut
It's a good effort. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's been some shockers... good plot work there. But there's also been a few... why the hecks?

Looking forward to second season though.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2016, 2:47am

Post #52 of 67 (688 views)
Shortcut
The Boss ... Melissa McCarthy [In reply to] Can't Post

Well.... better than Spy.... not as good as The Heat.

I found myself thinking that she'd fallen asleep watching a rerun of Troop Beverly Hills and dreamed herself into the story.... though of course she had to update the sexual innuendo and cursing. There were some funny moments but .... she's capable of better.

Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

Kim
Valinor

Jun 1 2016, 3:44am

Post #53 of 67 (689 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like the show's writers have maneuvered things to make that storyline more plausible and fit in with all the moving chess pieces we watch every week. I'm thinking she wouldn't have as much of a problem with Jon now, given she probably has more important things to deal with. And soon the truth will out!

I too wondered about Jon and Dany marrying, but now I'm not so sure.

"All we have to decide is what to do in the time that is given us."

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 1 2016, 5:22am

Post #54 of 67 (692 views)
Shortcut
The Dresser (Sirs Ian McKellan & Anthony Hopkins) [In reply to] Can't Post

On Starz in the US. Review here. Saw it last night. It was magnificent (and will be re-shown repeatedly for a while).

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 1 2016, 12:42pm

Post #55 of 67 (679 views)
Shortcut
I didn't love the first book [In reply to] Can't Post

partly for the reasons you mention, but also for the considerable underage drinking (the students are 14-16 in the book, as I recall).

It felt like a twenty-something author wrote fan-fiction. I never attempted the second book.

I've seen a few episodes of the series, and it's better because the "students" are older, but the plot is a similar mess as the book.

Annael
Immortal

Jun 1 2016, 2:04pm

Post #56 of 67 (670 views)
Shortcut
me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's coming to our indie theater soon as well, and I'm definitely going.

But first I have to see "Love & Friendship" which starts this Friday, yay.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Jun 1 2016, 2:10pm

Post #57 of 67 (670 views)
Shortcut
that explains [In reply to] Can't Post

all the adolescent angst going on. My experience of graduate school was, well yes, drinking, but more celebratory, not because we were every single one of us consumed by our personal issues or trying to drown our nonexistent sorrows like parents who weren't perfect.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ciars
Rohan

Jun 1 2016, 5:42pm

Post #58 of 67 (663 views)
Shortcut
Spoilers! Changing times... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my! There's I think only 4 or 5 episodes left maybe and times are achanging! I liked Brans vision of the mad King, looks like either he or the 3 eyed Raven again tried to intervene causng his madness, a bit of a link there with Daenerys she too has burned them all with her actions, Westeros watch out as she will I think be ruthless, good to see Arya accepting her heritage, the Waif may be in for a shock, the whole a girl has no name thing was getting irritating and left Arya in a plot that was too repetitive. Glad to see Jamie seems to be returning to his book plot, he is always a better/ stronger character away from Cersei, though I have my doubts over Margaerys conversion, there's a plot there to unfold! As for Jon and Sansa I can foresee battles approaching, hope the other character plays a part too as Brienne owes that character allegiance. It is getting interesting again!

(This post was edited by Ciars on Jun 1 2016, 5:42pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jun 2 2016, 10:18am

Post #59 of 67 (640 views)
Shortcut
Haven't read the books [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's been impossible to avoid spoilers about the person you're talking about, so I do know what you mean.

Regarding her treatment of Jon, yes, it was unfair in that the situation was not at all his fault, but I can understand it in a way because his very existence shoved Ned's indiscression in her face and must have made it very hard to get past the transgression. I don't get the impression that the Game of Thrones world is one in which you can just up and divorce as would be the advice in today's modern world if one couldn't cope with such a situation, and women would have been expected to just suck it up, so they were all stuck with the situation as it was. As one of her last monologues revealed she did feel badly and saw it as a deep fault in herself. I do wonder what would have happened had they crossed paths one more time after that.

Glad to see Uncle Benjen back. I actually thought that might happen with no one else to my knowledge in the area who possibly could have helped. I didn't see Bran dying there.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jun 2 2016, 6:54pm

Post #60 of 67 (624 views)
Shortcut
Outlander renewed for two more seasons! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just read that Outlander has been green lit for seasons three and four!!! Based on the next two books in the series, Voyager and Drums of Autumn. I am thrilled! I hope they keep the current director and continue to involve Diana Gabaldon in the productions, since they have thus far remained true to the books while cutting out the extraneous bits. So we're good to go through 2018 at least! Yay!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 2 2016, 10:07pm

Post #61 of 67 (617 views)
Shortcut
It's odd that the review never mentions the 1983 version. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since that film was nominated for five Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director (Peter Yates, who also made Bullitt and Breaking Away), Best Screenplay, and Best Actor for both leads (Albert Finney and Tom Courtenay).

And how interesting that Edward Fox (perhaps best known for the title role of The Day of the Jackal) appears in both versions!

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2016, 1:25am

Post #62 of 67 (609 views)
Shortcut
Batman vs Superman.... did anyone else think birth of Lurtz? [In reply to] Can't Post

It was so much Saruman and the birth of Lurtz.....when the reanimated Zod was "born"

And I have to give the whole thing a C ....it was too clunky.
The whole Martha thing was obvious from the beginning....

Wonder how much they paid Kevin Costner to come back as Pa Kent... wonder if it was as much as Mark Hamil was paid to come back as Luke Skywalker... though Kevin at least got to talk.

Great that Lois is not an idiot and knows Clark is Superman but Lex did have a point that facial recognition should let the whole world in on the "secret" .....

Okay caught Aquaman.... Flash... who was the other one?

And if Zod can be reanimated and Superman heal from a nuclear blast then obviously he's not dead.... anyway what would happen to the franchise if he died.....

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 3 2016, 2:06am

Post #63 of 67 (607 views)
Shortcut
BvS Cameos [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Okay caught Aquaman.... Flash... who was the other one?

Cyborg, Victor Stone, originally one of the New Teen Titans. In recent years the details of his origin has changed and he has been a member of the Justice League.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 3 2016, 2:08am)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jun 3 2016, 4:52pm

Post #64 of 67 (585 views)
Shortcut
All in good time, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that they've added a lot of speculative romantic drama, but I think that it will all eventually tie in to the big execution we know is coming eventually. I've said earlier that I think it might be the climax of this season.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2016, 9:44pm

Post #65 of 67 (572 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. I'm an "old" Teen Titan reader // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 3 2016, 10:07pm

Post #66 of 67 (571 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was buying the revived Teen Titans in the '70s 'for my younger brother'. And I glommed on to Marv Wolfman & George Perez's New Teen Titans when that series began in 1980. None of the later series set in the mainstream DCU really took with me except for Young Justice with it's humor and manga sensibility.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jun 3 2016, 10:20pm

Post #67 of 67 (573 views)
Shortcut
Pride and Prejudice starring Colin Firth. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.