ONE...only ONE
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

May 23 2016, 8:38pm

Post #26 of 39 (738 views)
Shortcut
Too hard for me to chose [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think I'd have to go with Smaug. He was brilliant in this movie, voice, design, his role in the film (well outside of the forges bit maybe, but I'll forget that happened).

wizzardly
Rohan

May 23 2016, 10:48pm

Post #27 of 39 (723 views)
Shortcut
Lose PJ, and keep on Tolkien... [In reply to] Can't Post

maaan!Cool

Noria
Gondor

May 24 2016, 12:34pm

Post #28 of 39 (636 views)
Shortcut
Just one? [In reply to] Can't Post

If I could get rid of one thing, it would be Alfrid’s death, in fact most of Alfrid in TBOTFA. There are other things too, but that’s one.

Among the many, many things that I would keep would be Tauriel and Kili’s conversation in Thranduil’s dungeon about starlight and memory, and fire moons. Pure magic, enhanced by one of Shore’s most beautiful themes.

It looks like I am the only one who loves the Stone Giants. PJ at his best and worst.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 24 2016, 1:15pm

Post #29 of 39 (621 views)
Shortcut
Sidebar [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If I could get rid of one thing, it would be Alfrid’s death, in fact most of Alfrid in TBOTFA. There are other things too, but that’s one.

I was fine with Alfrid dying, but I would have altered the manner of his death. I would have made it more of an homage to how the Master of Esgaroth perished in the book (although I might have involved Gollum in the event).

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

OldestDaughter
Rohan

May 24 2016, 1:29pm

Post #30 of 39 (617 views)
Shortcut
I would have no problem losing [In reply to] Can't Post

all of Dain's cussing. Felt a little too forced for a Tolkien film and kinda didn't fit the rest of the dwarves' either. (I'm sure Gimli felt like cussing when they were pursuing the Uruk-hai but didn't.) I would keep Legolas and Tauriel fighting the orcs in Bard's house!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Nuradar
Rohan

May 24 2016, 2:15pm

Post #31 of 39 (605 views)
Shortcut
I would omit the stick insect [In reply to] Can't Post

It seemed so goofy and out of place.

However, I loved these movies so much and there is so much I would keep. If I had to choose just one thing to keep, it would be...

...Martin Freeman as Bilbo. He was absolutely brilliant.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 24 2016, 2:50pm

Post #32 of 39 (600 views)
Shortcut
No, you're not the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

..but given strict orders to stick to one thing on either hand I was being good Angelic

The Stone Giants sequence is classic Peter Jackson - boundless imagination, visually stunning, full of real character moments and completely over the top. I love it. But then, I love so much in these films (and view the things I don't love so much with great affection. I would also get rid of quite a lot of Alfrid's part of BotFA - particularly Alfrid in a frock - but didn't say it because I felt sorry for him...)

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

malickfan
Gondor

May 24 2016, 7:06pm

Post #33 of 39 (568 views)
Shortcut
I would... [In reply to] Can't Post

...omit Radagast (found the character and design extremely annoying) and keep the Feast of Starlight speech.

Arthael
Lorien

May 25 2016, 12:03am

Post #34 of 39 (543 views)
Shortcut
Lose the stone giants [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO the tackiest and least convincing scene in the films. (Mostly for technical reasons, the live action footage did not blend with the CGI at all in my opinion, too over lit and didn't look nearly as stormy as the wide shots---it's also completely devoid of tension and served to get AUJ a bad reputation).

KEEP Gandalf's journey in DOS. It's beautifully shot and perfectly creepy. The high fells are stunning and feel very in line with Tolkien's writings, the Dol Guldur set is very convincing, the interaction with Thrain tugs at the heartstrings, and the confrontation with Sauron is visually stunning and everything I would hope for out of a PJ adaption. The flaming figure of Sauron that becomes the pupil of the Eye was a stroke of genius! I just wish the Dol Guldur scenes in AUJ and BOTFA were as well executed!

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Noria
Gondor

May 25 2016, 1:48pm

Post #35 of 39 (520 views)
Shortcut
I was OK with Alfrid dying as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

But hated how it was done in the movie.

Otaku-sempai, I like your idea better.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

May 26 2016, 9:49pm

Post #36 of 39 (470 views)
Shortcut
BotFA EE [In reply to] Can't Post

They already screwed up the PG-13 rating with the BotFA EE.Tongue

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

May 26 2016, 9:50pm

Post #37 of 39 (468 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel's costume [In reply to] Can't Post

Which one though? Sometimes she jumps between costumes within the same scene.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 26 2016, 10:00pm

Post #38 of 39 (464 views)
Shortcut
All of them. / [In reply to] Can't Post

"We’re orcs of the Misty Mountains,
Our singing’s part of canon.
We do routines and chorus scenes
While dancing with abandon.
We killed Isildur in the Gladden,
To help Sauron bring Armageddon!"

-From "Monty Python and the One Ring"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 27 2016, 12:20am

Post #39 of 39 (450 views)
Shortcut
Stone Giants [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I liked them, too - they have their fans!Cool

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.