The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
GOT

balbo biggins
Rohan

May 21 2016, 3:12pm

Post #1 of 2 (185 views)
Shortcut
GOT Can't Post

I know im late to the game, and ive been meaning to watch it for ages, but ive jut blitzed upto season 6 of game of thrones, and i must say i am thoroughly impressed, some of the scenery and cinematography is absolutely gorgeous , it feels old and very real, and miles better than alot of the hobbit settings and even matches some of lotr settings, its the reality of the locations that is just great, and theres a shot in season 5 of a large group of horse riders that is just as good as the riders of rohan stuff. of course tech has come along way but i really appreciate some of these shots and locations.

i think it proves that tolkine can and should be filmed in europe in the future , it feels right to me

a lot more love should be sent its way.

(This post was edited by balbo biggins on May 21 2016, 3:14pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

May 21 2016, 6:22pm

Post #2 of 2 (165 views)
Shortcut
True, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

i am thoroughly impressed, some of the scenery and cinematography is absolutely gorgeous , it feels old and very real, and miles better than alot of the hobbit settings and even matches some of lotr settings, its the reality of the locations that is just great, and theres a shot in season 5 of a large group of horse riders that is just as good as the riders of rohan stuff

I can't complain about the Hobbit settings - Mirkwood and Dale and the shots of the High Fells and the tombs and Beorn's house and those grasslands which I love....Heart

And I also think GOT does a wonderful job, tho I am spoiled w. Smaug re dragonsCool. Not sure what you mean about "love" - do you mean filming in Europe?

Agreed, and I also think there are places in the U.S. that would be wonderful for filming ('course I live here...). But remember reading about POTC scouting locations - in that case, it was difficult to find pristine beaches suitable for filming. Then re Europe and the U.S. I suppose there are tax issues and so forth that don't make it economically useful to film in a certain place; labor laws, and the fuss that gets kicked up (often in the U.S., anyway).

Seems like you try to film a movie and everyone suddenly wants their slice of the pieUnimpressed. And, too, I imagine since an HBO series is smaller than a full-scale film by default, it's easier to set up to film a small, condensed group than moving an entire cast and crew for a single scene (like it made more sense to build Dale than try to film in some part of Italy).

Finally, since LOTR, costs have shot way up in the insurance industry and so on. Richard Taylor talks about the effects of costs on handwork vs. machine work. Still, in the Hobbit films, we have all that wonderful hand-made furniture, pottery, glassware.

Anyway, I'm faithfully planted in front of the TV on Sundays watching GOTTongueTongueTongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.