The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Looks like people would question

EomundDaughter
Lorien

May 21 2016, 1:54pm

Post #1 of 15 (440 views)
Shortcut
Looks like people would question Can't Post

the safety of taking an airline flight these days for fun/entertainment. Some may not read the news, others just don't care.

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

May 21 2016, 6:15pm

Post #2 of 15 (367 views)
Shortcut
More people die on the roads worldwide every minute. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thousands of flights take off from major airports around the world every single hour of every day and security can never 100% prevent a disaster from happening--but I refuse to live my life as if I am under seige.I could die tomorrow in a freak accident but I don't stay indoors in fear of it happening.People should continue with their everyday life and not cower.If we don't then the jihadists have won.

I am flying to Crete in one month and I plan to have a fantastic holiday.

I will be vigilant.

I will speak out if I see anything/anyone suspicious at the train station, at the airport or on the plane.

I will speak out if I don't think security staff are scanning everyone equally.

I will act to protect myself and others.

I will not be afraid or give in to terror.NEVER

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 21 2016, 7:08pm

Post #3 of 15 (359 views)
Shortcut
Yes, this is important: [In reply to] Can't Post

"People should continue with their everyday life and not cower.If we don't then the jihadists have won."

P.S. Are you visiting ruins and archaeological sites? I would give my eyeteeth to go there and do that (although I don't think the airlines would be too eager to trade flights for teeth.Angelic)

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

May 21 2016, 8:03pm

Post #4 of 15 (347 views)
Shortcut
Yes and no... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been to Crete twice before and there are some sites that I plan on visiting that I haven't yet been to.The main thing I want to do is relax on the beach and do nothing.I'm really tired of rain in the North West of England--we even had a monsoon-like downpour today Crazy I'm so ready for some actual, consistant sunshine and no rain Smile

Lissuin
Valinor

May 21 2016, 9:19pm

Post #5 of 15 (342 views)
Shortcut
Overturned cart, ship wreck, train wreck, car crash, marauding hoards/armies, pirates, [In reply to] Can't Post

buccaneers, corsairs, brigands, privateers, marauders, plunderers, racketeers, highwaypersons, bandit, desperado, pillager, hooligan, road agent, hijacker, raider, outlaw, revolutionary, anarchist, provocateur, rebel, terrorist.

The times change, the causes change, the words change. Whether from mechanical failure, human error, weather, or bad people it's always been a dangerous business going out your door - for business or pleasure or adventure.

Is it your position that "taking an airline flight for fun/entertainment" is in itself a frivolous activity and so not worth the risk of personal injury? In that case there are many forms of entertainment that should be given up: sports of all kinds; a weekend family drive to the beach - or anywhere, for that matter; hiking and camping in bear country.

And/or, are you perhaps implying that the environmental costs should be minimised by re-thinking air travel for pleasure? That is a different topic.

I'll take your post at face value and say that while, of course, I care, I also agree with Aragorn regarding taking precautions and then getting on with it. My post is not a glib response in answer to your genuine concerns. It's a summary of how I mentally maneuver through some of life's scarier stuff. Evil

Take care out there.

Starling
Half-elven

May 21 2016, 9:42pm

Post #6 of 15 (332 views)
Shortcut
Agree with all of this, although [In reply to] Can't Post

I will admit to feeling glad I live where I live.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 21 2016, 9:45pm

Post #7 of 15 (330 views)
Shortcut
Same. [In reply to] Can't Post

Being overlooked at the bottom of the world has its perks.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dormouse
Half-elven

May 21 2016, 10:01pm

Post #8 of 15 (325 views)
Shortcut
Yes to this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....years ago I was a student when an IRA bomb killed several people in the town centre. Several of us went into town the next day, because it was important not to give in to terrorists (no one even imagined jihadists in these parts then).

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

May 22 2016, 7:48am

Post #9 of 15 (290 views)
Shortcut
Manchester [In reply to] Can't Post

Where I went shoping yesterday.The city was devastated by an IRA bomb in the 80's and I decided not to go there that day.I would have been walking past the Marks & Spencer store at the time---but the IRA issued a warning that something was about to happen and the area was evacuated.There are no warnings with jihadists so that's why everyone needs to be vigilant.

Annael
Immortal

May 22 2016, 2:32pm

Post #10 of 15 (274 views)
Shortcut
amen [In reply to] Can't Post

I refuse to live my life as if I am under seige

In the USA your chances of being killed by a terrorist are somewhat less than your chances of being killed by your own furniture. Not to mention your own heart. And even in the Middle East you're more likely to die in a car accident. I don't avoid my furniture or driving in a car. I do try to exercise and eat heart-healthy foods, but honestly, I think a heart attack wouldn't be such a bad way to go (having watched several people die of cancer, the other major killer in our midst).

I have a friend who is extremely cautious to the point of becoming almost housebound. The other day she slipped in her own kitchen and broke her kneecap. You're not safe anywhere. Might as well enjoy life!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...lled-by-a-terrorist/

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on May 22 2016, 2:32pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

May 22 2016, 7:14pm

Post #11 of 15 (257 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I wasn't thinking of Manchester.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and so far as I remember they didn't always issue warnings. Vigilance has always been important - as has realising that virtually everything we do carries risks, some much more likely to happen than terrorism, and it's important to carry on living too.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Ciars
Rohan

May 22 2016, 8:47pm

Post #12 of 15 (251 views)
Shortcut
Safety [In reply to] Can't Post

Not such an off topic, topic after all!

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

It is not your own Shire,' said Gildor. 'Others dwelt here before hobbits were, and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out'

This though I think kind of sums up the right kind of attitude...

The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater. - Haldir

Omnigeek
Lorien

May 23 2016, 12:59pm

Post #13 of 15 (207 views)
Shortcut
The chances of catastrophe on an airline flight are still low [In reply to] Can't Post

Taking an airline flight is still safer than driving during rush hour. Your chances with airline flights are greatly improved if you are selective about the airlines you use and which aircraft you choose to fly on. There are certain aircraft models I try to avoid while others with sterling safety records (e.g., the only catastrophes I'm aware of with a Boeing 777 in over 20 years of service were due to outside factors like a Russian anti-aircraft missile).
Sometimes random events happen. A doped up or drunk motorist could smack me on the way to or from work today -- I'm still going to drive.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 23 2016, 1:17pm

Post #14 of 15 (208 views)
Shortcut
Yes, or as Gandalf said at the bridge of Khazad-dum: [In reply to] Can't Post

’Fly, you fools! It’s the safest mode of transport.’
Er, something like that. . . Wink

In Reply To
Not such an off topic, topic after all!

"I never said most of the things I said."
- Yogi & Me

Darkstone
Immortal

May 23 2016, 2:01pm

Post #15 of 15 (205 views)
Shortcut
Dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

We send our brave young men and women out to fight for our freedom despite a one in 3000 chance of them dying, yet we blithely give up our own freedoms because we fear a one in 12.5 million chance of dying in an airplane terrorist incident.

Most people really suck at risk analysis.

Elves and Men and Dwarves gonna cower,
When I finish building my tower,
When I finish building my tower with the Eye on top!
Watch that Eye and see how it glowers,
Ain't no contest between the Two Towers,
Nosey folks'll peek thru' palantirs and their eyes will pop!
The battlement's black and immeasurably strong, an adamant mountain of iron,
A buttress of steel, impossibly tall, held aloft by the power of Sauron!
See that Eye a winkin' and blinkin',
Ain't no finer tower I'm thinkin',
You can keep Orthanc if you're thinkin' that I'd care to swap,
For my black and shiny tower with the Eye on the top!

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.