Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which of these is worse?
Poll: Which of these is worse?
"...I could have anything down my trousers."
..."Because it was real."
Equally bad
Not bad at all
Other - please specify
View Results (52 votes)

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 19 2016, 7:22pm

Post #1 of 18 (772 views)
Shortcut
Which of these is worse? Can't Post

I've noticed, periodically, on The Hobbit forum 'lovers' and 'haters' of the films alike have stated or implied disgust/displeasure with one or both of these sets of dialogue:

"Aren't you going to search me? I could have anything down my trousers?"

and

"Why does it hurt so much?"
"Because it was real."

But which of these is the worse? Are they equally bad or not bad at all? Is there possibly another line that is worse than theses two?

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

May 19 2016, 8:59pm

Post #2 of 18 (678 views)
Shortcut
I picked the trousers line [In reply to] Can't Post

It is probably my least favorite line of the movies, but I don't have any issue with the other line.

ange1e4e5
Rohan

May 19 2016, 9:00pm

Post #3 of 18 (678 views)
Shortcut
"Aren't you going to search me?" For me. [In reply to] Can't Post

The other one I thought was pretty good.

Gianna
Rohan

May 19 2016, 9:48pm

Post #4 of 18 (675 views)
Shortcut
The trousers line [In reply to] Can't Post

"Because it was real" was pretty gag-worthy, but I hate sexual innuendo in both books and movies. That it was shovelled into The Hobbit only made the trousers line worse.

wizzardly
Rohan

May 20 2016, 12:07am

Post #5 of 18 (660 views)
Shortcut
Both make me cringe [In reply to] Can't Post

though I must admit, the 'because it was real' line is so bad it's funny.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 20 2016, 3:29pm

Post #6 of 18 (614 views)
Shortcut
Don't understand why people hate the trousers line [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's hilarious - and I like her comeback as well. I ended up voting 'other', because honestly, Bard said something worse IMO:

Braga: "What do you know of my wife?"

Bard: "I know her as well as any man in this town."

Actually, that line doesn't bother me too much either. The "Because it was real" line, well, the entire scene is just BLECK!
Frown But the worst scene of them all is the "Bollocks" scene - not really a line attached to it, but yeah, definitely the worst IMO.

Annael
Immortal

May 20 2016, 6:08pm

Post #7 of 18 (594 views)
Shortcut
I guess I must be a "hater" [In reply to] Can't Post

although I prefer "disappointed" . . .

as such, for me the dialogue is the least of the problems with the films; can't say I noticed either line.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 20 2016, 8:11pm

Post #8 of 18 (577 views)
Shortcut
Honestly? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Because it was real" was pretty gag-worthy, but I hate sexual innuendo in both books and movies. That it was shovelled into The Hobbit only made the trousers line worse.

I don't think that the "trousers" line was that bad. The Dwarves were supposed to be more earthy than the Elves and that line reflected that. Granted, the Wood-elves were also supposed to be a bit more down-to-earth and elemental than the High Elves (which was one of the reasons that PJ wanted to feature a non-Sindar Wood-elf character in the first place), so Tauriel taking the remark in-stride was not really out of character either. Tolkien's The Hobbit is not Shakespeare, nor is it holy script. It can survive an adaptation that plays with it a bit.

Gianna
Rohan

May 20 2016, 9:09pm

Post #9 of 18 (565 views)
Shortcut
I don't think being earthy necessitates crassness. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether or not the story can 'survive an adaptation that plays with it a bit' is, imo, beside the point - in a film that is certain to be viewed by lots of children (whether PJ intended them as his audience is also beside the point), it was inappropriate. Call me old-fashioned, but I think it's kinda sick to expose kids to that sort of thing, however vague.

wizzardly
Rohan

May 20 2016, 9:52pm

Post #10 of 18 (555 views)
Shortcut
i agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The movies are based (at least in name) on a classic children's book. PJ really should have used better judgement here. That line felt extremely out of place, and I could never ever imagine Tolkien writing one like it.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 20 2016, 9:55pm

Post #11 of 18 (552 views)
Shortcut
Okay, you're old-fashioned. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Whether or not the story can 'survive an adaptation that plays with it a bit' is, imo, beside the point - in a film that is certain to be viewed by lots of children (whether PJ intended them as his audience is also beside the point), it was inappropriate. Call me old-fashioned, but I think it's kinda sick to expose kids to that sort of thing, however vague.

Sorry, but I don't think that the line was so crass that it couldn't have made it into a Bugs Bunny cartoon. In terms of rudeness or vulgarity it was very mild, as was Tauriel's rejoinder. It might have been out of place in a more faithful adaptation of the book, but I don't have a problem with it here.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 20 2016, 9:57pm)

wizzardly
Rohan

May 20 2016, 10:01pm

Post #12 of 18 (549 views)
Shortcut
that brings up a good point [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's books are also kind of "old fashioned" too. The attempts to "modernize" them for the sake of modern tastes and trends cheapens them imo.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 20 2016, 10:06pm

Post #13 of 18 (545 views)
Shortcut
And yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tolkien's books are also kind of "old fashioned" too. The attempts to "modernize" them for the sake of modern tastes and trends cheapens them imo.

I would point out that Warner Bros. Loony Tunes were contemporaneous with Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings to the point that I would not have been surprised if Chuck Jones had directed a parody of The Hobbit as an animated short. Bilbo replaced with Bugs? Yosemite Sam as Thorin?

wizzardly
Rohan

May 20 2016, 10:18pm

Post #14 of 18 (538 views)
Shortcut
possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

But still, I don't really seem to recall the Loony Tunes cartoons having any blatant sexual innuendos as far as I can remember. They were more of a slap sticky violence kind of thing. no?

Gianna
Rohan

May 20 2016, 10:43pm

Post #15 of 18 (535 views)
Shortcut
They did get rather crass later. [In reply to] Can't Post

I watch some of them now and cringe. Crazy There never was anything really blatant, though.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 20 2016, 11:26pm

Post #16 of 18 (525 views)
Shortcut
Sex in Cartoons [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But still, I don't really seem to recall the Loony Tunes cartoons having any blatant sexual innuendos as far as I can remember. They were more of a slap sticky violence kind of thing. no?

I think that you need to take off your rose-colored glasses, wiz. Theatrical cartoons were made for a general audience that included both kids and adults. There were many gags of a more mature nature that adults could appreciate that just went over many of the children's heads. Just think of the many times that Bugs or Daffy would vamp it up in drag.

Annael
Immortal

May 21 2016, 12:12am

Post #17 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut
well . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

The movies are based (at least in name) on a classic children's book. PJ really should have used better judgement here.

I have a lot more trouble with how he amped up the violence than with a tiny bit of innuendo.

wizzardly
Rohan

May 21 2016, 12:20am

Post #18 of 18 (516 views)
Shortcut
absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

Me too. In light of all the other awful changes in this trilogy, the trousers line is but a miniscule annoyance. By that point in the movies I had already come to terms with the fact that this was not the story of the Hobbit that J.R.R. Tolkien imagined.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.