The Hobbit Caption Contest VIII
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 18 2016, 3:16am

Post #1 of 28 (1113 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Caption Contest VIII Can't Post

According to the rules handed down from antiquity, here is the next image. Let the captions commence!

Larger version: http://cdn.collider.com/...-photo-6-600x450.jpg

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

LSF
Gondor

May 18 2016, 4:00am

Post #2 of 28 (1018 views)
Shortcut
caption [In reply to] Can't Post

The cloning machine obviously has problems... each one keeps getting smaller!

dormouse
Half-elven

May 18 2016, 7:39am

Post #3 of 28 (1005 views)
Shortcut
In a parallel universe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Mr and Mrs Thorin encourage their little one's first steps

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Darkstone
Immortal

May 18 2016, 1:14pm

Post #4 of 28 (990 views)
Shortcut
"Someday, all this will be yours." "But I do not like green realms and land! I do not like them, Dad-I-Am!" / [In reply to] Can't Post

Elves and Men and Dwarves gonna cower,
When I finish building my tower,
When I finish building my tower with the Eye on top!
Watch that Eye and see how it glowers,
Ain't no contest between the Two Towers,
Nosey folks'll peek thru' palantirs and their eyes will pop!
The battlement's black and immeasurably strong, an adamant mountain of iron,
A buttress of steel, impossibly tall, held aloft by the power of Sauron!
See that Eye a winkin' and blinkin',
Ain't no finer tower I'm thinkin',
You can keep Orthanc if you're thinkin' that I'd care to swap,
For my black and shiny tower with the Eye on the top!

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 18 2016, 1:36pm

Post #5 of 28 (985 views)
Shortcut
Wait, is that hairy Mini-me? [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 18 2016, 4:45pm

Post #6 of 28 (970 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf men and women are so alike in dress and appearance [In reply to] Can't Post

that you can't tell one from the other, especially when viewed in front of a green screen!Wink

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 18 2016, 8:20pm

Post #7 of 28 (945 views)
Shortcut
PJ: “Now imagine you’re looking at a . . . . . . er, nevermind . . . ‘back-shot’.” // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I never said most of the things I said."
- Yogi & Me

weathertop
Rohan

May 18 2016, 8:51pm

Post #8 of 28 (937 views)
Shortcut
That porridge was NOT juuust right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Enginerd

weathertop
Rohan

May 18 2016, 8:54pm

Post #9 of 28 (937 views)
Shortcut
"Quick, grab his other arm," [In reply to] Can't Post

"We'll put him over there in that green forest. He won't know *where* he is when he wakes up!"

Enginerd

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 19 2016, 1:03am

Post #10 of 28 (917 views)
Shortcut
Dís & Díli take little Fíli on his first outing to the Greenfields Free Fair on the Lune. // [In reply to] Can't Post

- Yogi & Me

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 19 2016, 2:16am

Post #11 of 28 (914 views)
Shortcut
I could almost be tempted to give it to you... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if only the Lune flowed anywhere near to the North Farthing and Greenfields.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 19 2016, 3:31am

Post #12 of 28 (902 views)
Shortcut
Oh, this might have been when Dis and Thorin (and Dili) & the other Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

were in exile on the eastern side of the Ered Luin. It could have been but a day or so walk to the R. Lune? Whether or not there was a second “Greenfields” in that area is not stated.

But it is astonishing that many of the Dwarves of the area played an irritating game called “golf” Mad. It has been rumored that this game was handed down to the Dwarves by one Bullroarer Took.

- Yogi & Me

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 19 2016, 3:37am

Post #13 of 28 (898 views)
Shortcut
Since you brought it up... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the Lune was about 100 miles from the western border of the Shire (or about 50 miles after the western border of the Shire was extended to the Tower Hills in the Fourth Age).

Knowledge is power (except when it's knowledge of trivia)!

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 19 2016, 3:41am)

Gianna
Rohan

May 19 2016, 12:46pm

Post #14 of 28 (881 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

My littlest brother still loves that book. Laugh

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website...
...my fantasy novel Seascape...
...and my fantasy novel Starscape.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 19 2016, 12:48pm

Post #15 of 28 (888 views)
Shortcut
Trivia question (mostly for Gianna)... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My littlest brother still loves that book. Laugh

What was Darkstone referencing in that first line?

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 19 2016, 12:50pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 19 2016, 1:55pm

Post #16 of 28 (868 views)
Shortcut
So true, but . . . (must there always a “but”?) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...the Lune was about 100 miles from the western border of the Shire (or about 50 miles after the western border of the Shire was extended to the Tower Hills in the Fourth Age).

Yes, of the time of which we speak the Far Downs marked the western boundary of the Shire, which appears to be about 100 miles from the mouth of the Lune.

But the southeastern tip of the (northern) Ered Luin appears to be about 40 miles from the mouth of the Lune, a couple day’s trek for Dis and kin to make the Greenfields Free Fair (assuming little Fili was transported, when he tired, in a Dwarf Roller Buggy).

Aside: It has been handed down in my family (the Bracegirdles) being from Hardbottle in the North Farthing that the original Greenfields (or Battle of the Greenfields if you will) was north and east of Annuminas, a good 150 miles from the R. Lune (not that that has anything to do with my secondary “Greenfields on the Lune”). Cool

- Yogi & Me

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 19 2016, 3:08pm

Post #17 of 28 (860 views)
Shortcut
The Free Fair [In reply to] Can't Post

My dear Bracegirdle. As loathe as I am to question the knowledge of someone with such an esteemed family history, I must point out that the Free Fair of the Shire was traditionally held on the White Downs in the West Farthing, not far from Michel Delving. Might the Dwarves of the Ered Luin have begun their own tradition, borrowed from the Shire-hobbits, and held a Free Fair of their own on a different Green Fields on the banks of the Lune?

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 19 2016, 3:10pm)

Gianna
Rohan

May 19 2016, 4:59pm

Post #18 of 28 (847 views)
Shortcut
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss [In reply to] Can't Post

------
My website...

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 19 2016, 5:04pm

Post #19 of 28 (842 views)
Shortcut
No need to be “loathe” Mr. Otaku [In reply to] Can't Post

Your quandary is most understandable as much of this (for whatever reason) was not recorded in the Red Book of Westmarch.

In Reply To
My dear Bracegirdle. As loathe as I am to question the knowledge of someone with such an esteemed family history, I must point out that the Free Fair of the Shire was traditionally held on the White Downs in the West Farthing, not far from Michel Delving. Might the Dwarves of the Ered Luin have begun their own tradition, borrowed from the Shire-hobbits, and held a Free Fair of their own on a different Green Fields on the banks of the Lune?

It has long been a family belief that not only did the exiled Dwarves pick up the game of golf from the Hobbits of the Shire, but it has been handed down, by word of mouth it seems, that a small troop of Dwarves conveniently passed through the White Downs during the Shire Free Fair of Lithe T.A. 2929 (S.R. 1329) and were invited to join in the festivities.

One of these Dwarves, Gimlet by name, won an oversized fuzzy Teddy Bear at the “Ring-a-Bottle”, and all shouted with glee during their ride on the “Tilt-a-Whirl”. This coupled with the free eats at the “Shire-dog” concession made a great and lasting favorable impression on the Dwarves. (As “Outsiders” the Hobbits kindly gave them carte blanche, and were it known they took full advantage.)

So favorably taken were the Dwarves of this Free Fair that upon returning home to the Ered Luin they staked out a small acreage near the River Lune, which they named (or renamed) “Greenfields”, wherein they had, for a time, their own “Free Fair”, again borrowing the name in honor of the Hobbits.

As mentioned, the tale of this fortunate meeting of the Shire Hobbits and a few exiled Dwarves was never set in pen and ink, and the technical facts (such as Gimlet winning a Teddy Bear) may have been embellished over the years, as many word-of-mouth tales tend to become enhanced. But we Bracegirdles of Hardbottle pride ourselves on our hard work, honesty, and integrity, and I am of a mind to believe this momentous encounter to be of fair accuracy.
Angelic

- Yogi & Me

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 19 2016, 5:27pm

Post #20 of 28 (844 views)
Shortcut
Nope! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, you missed it. "Some day, all this will be yours!" is a line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

"What, the curtains?"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 19 2016, 5:31pm

Post #21 of 28 (837 views)
Shortcut
Well, Mister Bracegirdle... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for that amusing and informative anecdote. Now, back to the contest!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 19 2016, 9:31pm

Post #22 of 28 (813 views)
Shortcut
Thank you kind Gamemeister [In reply to] Can't Post

for putting up with my nonsense. It was fun though. . . Sly

And right – back to some serious captioning ya’ll… Shocked

- Yogi & Me

Gianna
Rohan

May 19 2016, 9:43pm

Post #23 of 28 (812 views)
Shortcut
Never watched Monty Python! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it good?

------
My website...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 19 2016, 10:44pm

Post #24 of 28 (805 views)
Shortcut
OT: Monty Python [In reply to] Can't Post

The skits on Monty Python's Flying Circus could be a bit hit-and-miss, but it was usually at least funny and occasionally brilliant. Films such as Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Life of Brian were right up there with the best movies of Mel Brooks. Holy Grail was remastered for Blu-ray and looks better than ever.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 19 2016, 11:21pm

Post #25 of 28 (800 views)
Shortcut
A taster for you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Monty Python - Fish slapping dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s
Mnty Python - Dead parrot sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqz_4OgMi7M

Their sketches sometimes work brilliantly and sometimes really don't, but the movie Monty Python's Life of Brian is a classic. For instance, at the Sermon on the Mount when Jesus can't quite be heard by the people at the back:
"I think it was 'Blessed are the cheesemakers'."
"What's so special about the cheesemakers? "
"Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products."

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.