Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Let's dream: A new Middle Earth Trilogy...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

May 18 2016, 9:05pm

Post #26 of 48 (976 views)
Shortcut
Well, all this sounds fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

but THE HAIR finally signing on the dotted line clinched it for me. But oh dear oh dear I hope the fire prevention standards are up to par. Laugh

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Avandel
Half-elven

May 18 2016, 10:33pm

Post #27 of 48 (957 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't it though? [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie sites are sayin' that WB is ecstatic over the "buzz" and the controversy. And rumor had it The Hair caved after getting a personal call from Richard Armitage - it's that melted chocolate voice, you know. Cool

WinkThe down side is that *gasp* it's hitting the news wires that Richard Taylor, known for his graciousness and affable nature, actually lost his temper with WETA staff who promptly got into a very public fight over who would be assigned care of The Hair. Ironically the fight seems to have involved much hair pulling as well as smacking each other with makeup brushes.Angelic

Richard Taylor said it was stressful enough arranging computer time with NASA and the Swiss and Microsoft, because Smaug set the bar pretty high, and it was enough of a problem realistically generating a dragon the size of a small country.

Meanwhile, in a phone interview, Dean O'Gorman laughed over controversy of the re-appearance of the Durins, in the face of canon and the arc of previous films. "Well, we ARE the Heirs of Durin, and dwarves are tough little guys - besides, magic - like those eagles - solves a lot of inconvenient problems on screenCool. Everyone's doing it, too. I mean, you just aren't anyone these days if you haven't paid a quick trip to Beyond the Veil...it's really not the problem it used to be.Angelic"

'And the blue wizards and the cat-queen are a stroke of genius - they've never been seen before, so who knows what they can do?"

"But Aidan and I are going to have to get some tips from Lee Pace and Richard Armitage, because thanks to Thorin's hair setting a precedent, there's going to be a serious emphasis on everyone's hair - you thought it was bad for the Hobbit films! Fili had great hair, I thought, but word has come down from WB - all main cast will have EPIC, blinding hair. My brief says that Fili's hair is long, and quote 'shimmers like sunset over a rippling lake' - I guess something happens while the Durins are visiting another plane, because when they come back they are, er, practically godlike or something - which causes Kili and Tauriel some problems.

"I can't even imagine what Thorin's hair will be like - something about 'long streams of soft ebony lava kissed with melted diamonds', but I'm glad to hear The Hair is on board. Even if it's a little strange about it having its own dressing room and trailer."CoolWink

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 19 2016, 10:39am

Post #28 of 48 (930 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised no one caught that reference to Weird Al. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 19 2016, 12:41pm

Post #29 of 48 (914 views)
Shortcut
Da-da, dum, dum, dum! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm surprised no one caught that reference to Weird Al.

Oh, I caught it right away. I just let it go.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 19 2016, 12:42pm)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 19 2016, 8:52pm

Post #30 of 48 (881 views)
Shortcut
Hast not an elf's eyes? [In reply to] Can't Post

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 19 2016, 8:56pm

Post #31 of 48 (880 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen my casting suggestion for an Aragorn film, Balbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

May 20 2016, 5:14pm

Post #32 of 48 (858 views)
Shortcut
Ooooh, double yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

If only I were a producer with deep pockets! *sigh* I'd grab this immediately!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 20 2016, 8:02pm

Post #33 of 48 (844 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of our fellows here are just too consumed with anger, disappointment and cynicism to see some of the possibilities that still exist. Even I think that there are only a small, handful of possible movies that could be spun-off directly from TH and/or LotR that have real, commercial potential.

Many of us here don't have realistic expectations about what a major studio would produce or what will appeal to a mass audience. I'm sure that our friend balbo biggins would firmly place me in this category!

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 20 2016, 8:13pm)

Omnigeek
Lorien

May 20 2016, 10:58pm

Post #34 of 48 (824 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I don't know about that [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Fall of Nargothrond, the Tale of Turin Turambar, and Luthien and Beren would all be excellent single subject movies. They could do a condensed version of the Tale of the Silmarils from their creation to the treachery of Morgoth through the Kinslaying and up to the establishing of Doriath but even condensed it would probably take a trilogy.

The problem I would see is doing the tales justice. CGI has made it possible to do them visual justice but these would need directors who are also fans and faithful to the original story. I would hate to see them transformed by a director or writing team that thinks they know better than the original author and Hollyweird is full of "artists" who think they can do better. It's also become a land of the endless remakes because they can't be troubled to deal with thousands upon thousands of other original stories available. The remakes may pale beyond comparison but they're "new". I'd rather not see any more M-e movies than get a JJ Abrams-style treatment.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 20 2016, 11:28pm

Post #35 of 48 (819 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had ideas for film versions of different parts of The Silmarillion and people who could do the story justice, such as directors, screenwriters, and music composers. They're under the Casting for The Silmarillion 3 thread. I've even put in a possible budget for each film: $80 million.

(This post was edited by ange1e4e5 on May 20 2016, 11:30pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 20 2016, 11:33pm

Post #36 of 48 (819 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the Fall of Nargothrond, the Tale of Turin Turambar, and Luthien and Beren would all be excellent single subject movies. They could do a condensed version of the Tale of the Silmarils from their creation to the treachery of Morgoth through the Kinslaying and up to the establishing of Doriath but even condensed it would probably take a trilogy.

My post was limited to stories that could be told as taken solely from The Hobbit and/or The Lord of the Rings. I don't think that any of those tales could be realistically attempted without the film rights to The Silmarillion. It is moot to discuss potential films that depend on the rights still held by the Tolkien Estate.

Omnigeek
Lorien

May 21 2016, 12:33am

Post #37 of 48 (805 views)
Shortcut
Ah, within that context [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I agree. The appendix for ROTK is sparse material for more movies. A lawyer could probably argue that there's enough in the appendices to open the door to the other material but I don't think I'd want to watch the resulting product. Any director or producer who resorted to legalisms like that would probably not bother paying attention to the material.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 21 2016, 12:51am

Post #38 of 48 (799 views)
Shortcut
Of course... [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite what I posted before, this is a 'what if...' thread. So, disregarding the limits of my previous post, dream on! I would even encourage dream-casting using actors at any age and any time in film history.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 21 2016, 12:52am)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 21 2016, 3:16pm

Post #39 of 48 (766 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps a film on the events in the North, particularly the Battle of Dale and the Siege of Erebor? [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

May 21 2016, 6:55pm

Post #40 of 48 (753 views)
Shortcut
I like that little book too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely heartbreakingly beautiful and full of faerie. Heart

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Avandel
Half-elven

May 21 2016, 10:22pm

Post #41 of 48 (737 views)
Shortcut
Nice post, IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of our fellows here are just too consumed with anger, disappointment and cynicism to see some of the possibilities that still exist. Even I think that there are only a small, handful of possible movies that could be spun-off directly from TH and/or LotR that have real, commercial potential.

Many of us here don't have realistic expectations about what a major studio would produce or what will appeal to a mass audience. I'm sure that our friend balbo biggins would firmly place me in this category!

And am sure studios would pay dearly to have the crystal ball to know what will or won't not only appeal to a mass audience, but actually be a success.Unsure

In theory IMO, ME has a built-in audience and any "reasonable" film would at least grab the all-important weekend box office...but then, it'd have to be appealing enough to not just sink like a stone after the releaseShocked. And IMO whether folks appreciate him or not, I know that PJ's hands on Middle Earth engender good will - because I went into AUJ pretty unspoiled, but I was CONFIDENTTongue and happy in my seat, that first time, because it WAS Peter Jackson and all his "lush" treatment. I "knew" I didn't have to worry, that ME was in good hands and I wasn't going to see "something weird".

I'd like to think a good film is a good film, e.g what could be done with that small handful of possible treatments legally available to whatever director who might want to take the project on. Aside from seeing Thorin/Thranduil after/before Erebor's fall (and having to make things up) there's Aragorn/Legolas/Tauriel (even if re-cast and making things up) but then again, "fan-fiction" or not, why not if it's a GOOD film?Tongue

It could be a chance to see environments that have never been depicted beforeTongue, or characters only briefly mentioned. I'd love to see what Thorin called "poor lodgings in exile" if done well. It's not like Westerns in the U.S. which at the moment don't seem to set audiences on fire. There's a huge market for the sci-fi and fantasy genre, at the moment.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 22 2016, 2:07am

Post #42 of 48 (721 views)
Shortcut
The Potential of New Middle-earth Films [In reply to] Can't Post

The readership of Tolkien's books is too small for any major film studio to take a gamble on, in-and-of itself, but we also have to add to that the audiences for the previous films, which is considerably more significant, even without the consideration of new viewers. If we do want to continue from the Peter Jackson films then I do see several possibilities:

- I still think that the story of Aragorn as a young man is the single best option. Kit Harington (Game of Thrones) is a distinct possibility for the lead; Thranduil, Legolas and possibly Tauriel could be incorporated.

- Looking at the War of the Ring, the Battle of Dale and Siege of Erebor could be told as a LotR side-story. The battles in Mirkwood and Lórien against the forces of Dol Guldur might be a separate movie or they all might be somehow combined. Perhaps Tauriel could be used to connect the stories.

- There is the story of Balin's attempt to recolonize Moria, but I don't think that it would draw a large enough audience to be viable.

- The Second-Age stories of the crafting of the Rings, the Downfall of Númenor and the War of the Last Alliance would be difficult using the Appendices alone. I don't know that any of them would yield a satisfying result.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 22 2016, 2:13am)

Avandel
Half-elven

May 22 2016, 4:13pm

Post #43 of 48 (696 views)
Shortcut
The "inevitable" shift of characterizations.... [In reply to] Can't Post

- I still think that the story of Aragorn as a young man is the single best option. Kit Harington (Game of Thrones) is a distinct possibility for the lead; Thranduil, Legolas and possibly Tauriel could be incorporated.

I think this, actually is an option as well - re being clear, I like the book Aragorn, as I see him in my mind, and appreciated his long years before "coming into his own" - simply because I found PJ's interpretation frustrating (and would rather have more dwarves) doesn't mean I wouldn't watch a film based on this narrative. Also this version of Aragorn as presented on film is generally, as far as I can tell, very well thought of (and I love some parts of VM's Aragorn. That single look he gives Boromir's small boat as the river carries it away IMO says so much and is just perfection, for meHeart).

But that's the thing, too. No actor and director is going to re-interpret a character the same way. Some characters are powerfully etched into the public's mind now.
IMO any film and interpretation would have to be perfectly cast and beautifully executed, otherwise - right now - I think a "new" Aragorn or other major character might be rejected (and along with that, the film) by a big audience segment (even if it's a younger version...I mean there's Legolas in the Hobbit acting all tough, and I didn't think that worked so well a times, I wanted the fey and more soft-spoken Legolas....)

Or notCool. Phhht - studios. Well, that's a mysteryCrazy - pulling off a new ME film (a good one) would be difficult. But there's a built-in audience and interest, even if a lot of filler had to be provided. But studios are willing to pour millions into films with high-paid cast that to me should be pulled when the first raw footage is being shown (Gods of Egypt, for one.....) And I keep seeing trailers for a Warcraft film where I am already lifting my eyebrows at the CGI (hey! isn't that the guy from Vikings???Cool) - I mean, a new ME film would just roll over that kind of thing.Crazy

Jeffrodo
Bree

May 30 2016, 1:32pm

Post #44 of 48 (570 views)
Shortcut
Think beyond the books [In reply to] Can't Post

I think what's stumbling up people on this notion is the strict adherence to the books. What I'm proposing is really the creation of something new within the boundaries of what's "allowed" by LOTR, the Appendices and The Hobbit. These films could potentially be as great as the script allowed. Look at how Star Wars is now moving ahead without George Lucas. This would be like moving ahead without Tolkien...which I know is blasphemy for some. These films would take inspiration from the books but would certainly have to invent wholly new characters and plots. You're either for this idea or not, and that's fine.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2016, 2:14pm

Post #45 of 48 (565 views)
Shortcut
That's, kinda, the problem... [In reply to] Can't Post

We are not sure what, if anything, is 'allowed' outside of the boundaries of the books. A spin-off that is firmly grounded in the texts of the books and the Appendices seems to be well-within the existing film rights. Anything more speculative might be in violation of those rights even if they don't directly infringe on the books still held by the Tolkien Estate. Still, we could play 'what if...' and pretend that such films could proceed. Is that what you wish?

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 30 2016, 2:15pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2016, 8:51pm

Post #46 of 48 (541 views)
Shortcut
Your Middle-earth Trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's go back to your original proposal:

Middle Earth trilogy...each film is titled MIDDLE EARTH: (with a subtitle)
Peter Jackson is executive producer but not director. Maybe one director, maybe three different directors? These 3 movies bridge the 60 years between The Hobbit and LOTR. We could see the following characters reappear: Gandalf, Bilbo (older Martin Freeman), several of the dwarves, Legolas (again), Aragorn and Arwen, Elrond, Gollum.

What would be the actual story(ies) of your three films, their narrative lines? They can't each just be an anthology of unrelated events. Will each one stand alone or will they be intertwined?

Tales of Middle-earth: The Eagle of the Star. This would focus on the birth, upbringing and early exploits of Aragorn through his betrothal to the Lady Arwen in Lothlórien. It would follow him on his first journeys into the distant East and far South, and through his errantries (as Thorongil) for King Thengel of Rohan and Ecthelion II, the Steward of Gondor.

Tales of Middle-earth: Balin, Lord of Moria. The story of Balin's doomed attempt to recolonize Khazad-dûm.

Tales of Middle-earth: The Rise of the Shadow. Darkness returns to Mirkwood as three of the Nazgûl restore Dol Guldur. Agents of Mordor foment trouble in Dale and attempt to seduce the Dwarf-lords of Erebor with Rings of Power. Bilbo's young cousin Frodo is orphaned and eventually becomes the old Hobbit's ward. Gandalf, seeking answers to questions that have long troubled him, engages Aragorn to aid him in the hunt for Gollum. Perhaps Bilbo's adoption of Frodo should be the movie's end. Or maybe it should end with the planning of Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday party.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 30 2016, 8:57pm)

wizzardly
Rohan

May 30 2016, 9:17pm

Post #47 of 48 (531 views)
Shortcut
Thinking beyond the books leads ultimately to fan-fic cringe... [In reply to] Can't Post

and that sort of thing should be confined to the dark musty corners of the internet where it belongs.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 30 2016, 10:05pm

Post #48 of 48 (522 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Moving away for a moment from the sensitive subject of Tolkien it is possible for a good writer to pick up on another writer's story and produce something really worthwhile from it.

I'll give you an example. You've probably come across E. Nesbit's 'Five Children and It; either in book or film or TV adaptation. She wrote a couple of books about the same children in the early 1900s. A few years ago a writer named Kate Saunders used Nesbit's children - rather more grown up - and the Psammead in 'Five Children on the Western Front', which is a beautifull constructed and sensitive development from the original stories. Have won critical acclaim and a couple of awards.

'Thinking beyond the books' isn't necessarily doomed to fail. With the right writer - someone who is sensitive to the original - it can be done and very well done.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.