Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Let's dream: A new Middle Earth Trilogy...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jeffrodo
Bree

May 17 2016, 4:14pm

Post #1 of 48 (1670 views)
Shortcut
Let's dream: A new Middle Earth Trilogy... Can't Post

I know, I know. Probably won't happen. But the talk of nostalgia has got me thinking again. Let's just say...IF they would ever do a new trilogy of Middle Earth films, what would they be like? Let's assume Peter Jackson may (or may not) be involved. If I had to guess here's what we might get:

Middle Earth trilogy...each film is titled MIDDLE EARTH: (with a subtitle)
Peter Jackson is executive producer but not director. Maybe one director, maybe three different directors? These 3 movies bridge the 60 years between The Hobbit and LOTR. We could see the following characters reappear: Gandalf, Bilbo (older Martin Freeman), several of the dwarves, Legolas (again), Aragorn and Arwen, Elrond, Gollum.

There are many of you who will groan at such a prospect. But I'm looking for positive comments here...dreamers who would be interested in such a series. I mean, come on, Hobbit and LOTR have made millions and millions of dollars. In this day and age, film studios are looking for a sure thing. Plus, with the huge success of new Star Wars, they must be looking at Middle Earth and exploring how to keep this franchise alive.

I know there are other options like TV shows and one-off movies. But given that WB and New Line can film the Appendices in LOTR there are many other events briefly described in those pages that could become films. Yes, much of the scripts would have to be invented and if you despised the filmmakers' invention in The Hobbit, this would be much more so.

I would love to see a new trilogy one day. Who's with me?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 17 2016, 5:20pm

Post #2 of 48 (1538 views)
Shortcut
Trilogy? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't think of another Middle-earth story that might make a good trilogy of films unless I go back to the Second Age. The first film could be about the forging of the Great Rings and Sauron's downfall and imprisonment in Númenor. The second could be about the corruption of Ar-Pharazôn and the downfall of Númenor. The concluding movie would be about the War of the Last Alliance and the downfall of Sauron. However, I'm not sure that the films would be worth making without the movie rights for The Silmarillion and perhaps even Unfinished Tales.

For a single, stand-along movie: Aragorn: The Eagle of the Star. The coming of age story of Aragorn from the circumstances of his birth through his journeys and errantries, concluding with his reunion with Lady Arwen in Lórien.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 17 2016, 5:21pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

May 17 2016, 6:33pm

Post #3 of 48 (1519 views)
Shortcut
sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

im sorry to groan , but there is reason too, why a trilogy? so it fits neatly next to the hobbit and lotr on your dvd shelf?

i think those that want something like this are those that would completely ruin the franchise once and for all,and further discredit the tolkien name/brand which i think the hobbit trilogy (bad idea) has done a little. it just wouldnt work as tolkienes writings dont exist for it. you cant do justice to the things that could be adapted now because it would essentially be all made up, yes timelines are in place, but thats not enough.

the only chance of something decent happening is if the silmarillion got made in some form. this will not happen soon, or ever.

the young adventures of aragorn? the shire trilogy? witchking chronicles? eurrgh please stop wishing for bad ideas.

now for a positive- i found a ringwraithe money box sculpt at a bootfair for £2, its looks fantastic and a bit cheaper than the expensive models! plus it screeches when money is put in! always wanted a wraithe!

(This post was edited by balbo biggins on May 17 2016, 6:37pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 17 2016, 7:41pm

Post #4 of 48 (1492 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the only chance of something decent happening is if the silmarillion got made in some form. this will not happen soon, or ever.

the young adventures of aragorn? the shire trilogy? witchking chronicles? eurrgh please stop wishing for bad ideas.

I must disagree that a movie based on the journeys and errantries of Aragorn is a bad idea--unless it was to be attempted as a trilogy. As a stand-along project it has a lot of potential and there is enough material in LotR Appendix A to provide a working outline for it. There is no need for the film rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales or any other ancillary works.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 17 2016, 7:44pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

May 17 2016, 7:47pm

Post #5 of 48 (1484 views)
Shortcut
who will write this middle earth movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

im sure there is a good story or two in there, but toliken hasnt wrote it, so someone else will have too, there is no narrative in the glimpses we have of his life,, aragorns story has already been written, from birth to death, its in the lord of the rings! leave a good thing alone.

fan fiction at best.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 17 2016, 7:59pm

Post #6 of 48 (1478 views)
Shortcut
Can I nominate Peter S. Beagle? [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a narrative in the story of Aragorn's youth: This is his coming-of-age story as he matures into the man who will be called Strider and later King Elessar of the Reunited Kingdom. He gains training and knowledge in Rivendell that allows him to travel throughout Middle-earth, experiencing foreign cultures and gaining wisdom and experience that makes him a trusted advisor and a leader of men. It is all present in the Appendices if you have the eyes to see it.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 17 2016, 8:01pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

May 17 2016, 10:04pm

Post #7 of 48 (1448 views)
Shortcut
eyes of an elf here! [In reply to] Can't Post

of course theres a narrative, but a good film? no. a training montage of aragorn in rivendell reading books?? learning to use a sword, so the story is he becomes a man? in lord of the rings he is still strider, the whole story of him becoming aragorn is already told, i suppose he spends some time with legolas too, again this will not be a tolkien film, its fan fiction, and frankly a terrible idea.

aragorn goes to harad? rhun? the north? someone is going to have to make alot of words , people, dialogue up that just isnt from tolkien , it will ruin the whole of lord of the rings, just like the hobbit sort of did.

what a lot of people still dont get about why lord of the rings is so good, is that it leaves alot to the imagination, has room to breathe, and has a histroy, and background thats interesting and mythical, filling in the gaps with typical fantasy yarns that we were trying to move on from will destroy what makes it great!

(This post was edited by balbo biggins on May 17 2016, 10:08pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

May 17 2016, 10:22pm

Post #8 of 48 (1452 views)
Shortcut
The Tolkien film I dream of seeing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I know I never will, but that's the beauty of dreams, is Smith of Wootton Major. It could be magical, and strange, and heart-breakingly beautiful. Hard to imagine it ever making a trilogy, though!

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

wizzardly
Rohan

May 17 2016, 10:55pm

Post #9 of 48 (1422 views)
Shortcut
Balbo is right [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ has done enough damage. Please for the love of all that's right and holy in the universe, no more! It's time for hollywood to move onto another victim. Ok, so it appears Ghostbusters is about to bite the dust in July. There's got to be something else to ruin that will make them a bunch of money!

wizzardly
Rohan

May 17 2016, 11:05pm

Post #10 of 48 (1425 views)
Shortcut
What is it, like 50 pages? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure PJ can milk a 10 hour trilogy out it.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 17 2016, 11:09pm

Post #11 of 48 (1420 views)
Shortcut
Eyes of an Elf indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Only if that Elf has been chained for a thousand years in the darkest cell in the lowest dungeon of Barad-dûr.

Aragorn's education in Rivendell, studying the lore of Elrond and training and riding with the likes of Elladan, Elrohir and Glorfindel, are merely prelude to the main story of Aragorn's years of travel into the distant East and far South of Middle-earth and his errantries riding with King Thengel against the enemies of Rohan and serving Ecthelion II of Gondor If we are remaining within the continuity of the Peter Jackson films then the young Ranger becomes known to the Elvenking within a few years after departing from Rivendell. At some point Aragorn first meets and becomes friends with Gandalf the Grey and they travel together for a time. We have a unique opportunity to see cultures such as the Easterling tribes and Southron peoples when are not warring upon north-western Middle-earth. In Rohan Aragorn (as Thorongil) develops a reputation for valor that follows him to Gondor. He becomes a trusted friend and advisor to the Steward of Gondor while enduring the jealousy and suspicions of Ecthelion's son Denethor. We know that Aragorn once found himself alone (or at least without Gandalf) in Moria; perhaps that was within this time period and could be part of this movie. Aragorn's final mission for Gondor brings his experiences all together as he leads a successful raid against the Corsairs of Umbar, destroying a significant portion of their fleet. The emotional pay-off of the movie is the reunion between Arwen and Aragorn in Lothlórien.

Yes, many if not most of the details would have to be invented. However, the main outline is clearly outlined by Tolkien himself so it is incredibly unfair to label it fan-fiction. The only alteration to Aragorn as a character (only needed in the context of Peter Jackson's version of Middle-earth) is his reluctance to part his love Arwen from her own kindred and her immortality. Even this could be used to add emotional depth to his character.

Avandel
Half-elven

May 18 2016, 12:10am

Post #12 of 48 (1399 views)
Shortcut
If it were the dwarves.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know about a trilogy, but I'd go for the exiled dwarves after the fall of Erebor, the struggle for survival, Thranduil's refusal to help (including a prologue backstory re his own father and leading his own people - the 1/3 that were left, I believe - to the forest) - plenty of room for angst, probable abuse of dwarves, and so on. Dealing with (potentially) some nasty critters and/or western dwarves who weren't that thrilled with seeing the new arrivals. Ultimately Thorin's choice to retake Erebor.

Failing that, I'd rather sidestep Aragorn etc. for characters at least based on the Sil, or other. Personally I'd rather see a depiction of Thorin's sister and or brother than see any more Aragorn or Legolas. Because I've already seen an awful lot of them, for me.

As for Tolkien or not, or borrowed from or not *shrug* - IMO books always stand on their own, forever. Characters I care about depicted as well as LOTR and the Hobbit did, IMO for the most part, and a good story and visuals - I think it would be great, if it would happen. But who knows if WB or whoever will ever make use of the rights they own *sigh*.

Blue wizards, anyone?Cool

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

May 18 2016, 12:39am

Post #13 of 48 (1387 views)
Shortcut
I'll see your blue wizards [In reply to] Can't Post

and raise you the cats of Queen Beruthiel. We need more of the femine characters that Tolkien shoehorned in. Laugh

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

dormouse
Half-elven

May 18 2016, 1:29pm

Post #14 of 48 (1336 views)
Shortcut
*Passes wizzardly a nice soothing cup of tea to go with the milk..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Who said anything about Peter Jackson?

Can't help noticing that you talk about him far more than the rest of us. Do you think it could be true love?

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 18 2016, 1:58pm

Post #15 of 48 (1316 views)
Shortcut
I suggest Andrew Davies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Did excellent adaptations of Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey and Sense and Sensibility.

I always follow my job through.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 18 2016, 2:00pm

Post #16 of 48 (1319 views)
Shortcut
Right and holy? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't say the films are unholy.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 18 2016, 2:01pm

Post #17 of 48 (1319 views)
Shortcut
Bite the dust, or ride the bus? [In reply to] Can't Post

"And another on, and another one on, and another one rides the bus"...

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 18 2016, 3:05pm

Post #18 of 48 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Ooooh, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to see this story told!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 18 2016, 3:13pm

Post #19 of 48 (1292 views)
Shortcut
Possibilities [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I would love to see this story told!

As would I. I reject balbo's premise that because there is a potential for disaster, the risk should not be taken. There is also the potential for a terrific film that is true to the spirit of Tolkien's Middle-earth.

Eruonen
Half-elven

May 18 2016, 3:14pm

Post #20 of 48 (1297 views)
Shortcut
The best hope would be an adaptation of The Children of Hurin [In reply to] Can't Post

as it covers a broad swatch of history in a relatively slim volume with a solid core of material,

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 18 2016, 3:18pm

Post #21 of 48 (1288 views)
Shortcut
Not as a trilogy, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The best hope would be an adaptation of The Children of Hurin as it covers a broad swatch of history in a relatively slim volume with a solid core of material,

Again, not a bad idea for a stand-alone film; The Children of Hurin is a solid, if tragic, story. But it would require the film rights to at least that book, which are currently unavailable. However, we are dreaming here after all!

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 18 2016, 3:21pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 18 2016, 3:28pm

Post #22 of 48 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn is a fascinating character [In reply to] Can't Post

There is more than enough for a fully-developed story. It would be so wonderful to see the development of the Ranger from the child living in Rivendale. I would love to meet Gilraen and see Elrond with his sons and with Estel. I would love to see Gandalf's first reactions to the younger Aragorn. His life crossed the paths of so many before we ever see that first glow of his pipe in LOTR. What adventures!

And bonus if the collective talents of WETA and SPJ are involved - we get to see more corners of Middle Earth!

I think I could get really excited about this! Definitely a dream worth having! Smile

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on May 18 2016, 3:33pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

May 18 2016, 3:37pm

Post #23 of 48 (1276 views)
Shortcut
It could support at least two films as the early history could be expanded [In reply to] Can't Post

as the Battle of Sudden Flame could take up most of one film and then the transition to various locales....the Fall of Doriath could be part II and Hurin's adventures / tragedy part III.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 18 2016, 3:42pm

Post #24 of 48 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

My assumption is that the filmmakers have the movie rights to CoH but not The Sil. Even so, it might still work better as a single movie.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 18 2016, 3:43pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

May 18 2016, 4:45pm

Post #25 of 48 (1259 views)
Shortcut
oh yes...cats [In reply to] Can't Post

London –

The feisty Martin Freeman, widely praised for his complex and appealing portrayals on stage and screen, commented briefly today on the newly greenlit addition to the successful collection of films depicting Tolkien’s Middle Earth. The Internet erupted in controversy overnight at the announcement, with some irate book fans trumpeting the “final degradation of Middle Earth” and others cheering the announcement.

“Who cares about those uptight geeks? Tolkien’s not here to ask, and Queen Beruthiel brings back the Durins!” enthused a member of the noted Middle Earth site The One Ring.net. (This fan is notorious for crashing several Hobbit sites by posting multiple views of a main Hobbit character’s hair in high resolution). “She’s gonna be the coolest female in Middle Earth evah!!! I love her, so badass!!! And Thorin’s coming back OMG, and Fili and Kili OMG!!!”

“Your brain is full of Radagast poo!”, posted back another irate fan on the site in response. “I thought it was bad enough with that bunny sled! Never thought the good old days would be the Hobbit films! I could just DIE – I am never leaving my house ‘coz I don’t wanna see the commercials for this TRAVESTY. SHAME on Hollywood!!!”

A weary moderator of the TORn website rubbed his red-rimmed eyes. “Oh, it gets much worse than that. MUCH worse. We’ve got fans of some of the new cast like actor Michael Fassbender, who join up and argue that he’s gonna be the coolest Blue Wizard ever, and bickering breaks out with folks who say he’s too young and not Tolkien’s vision.”

“Never mind the other blue wizard is a woman who doesn’t wear a whole lot, apparently, and fights break out insisting that, like the Hobbit dwarves, REALISTICALLY, and culturally, there’s nothing to say that some cultures of Middle Earth don’t roam around with basically a scarf and a few strategically placed plates, kind of like Princess Leia.”

“Then there’s the appearance of Ancalagon the Black, who of course was supposedly a creature of legend thrown down way before Lord of the Rings. But gamers and sci-fi fans and half the board is arguing that so what?, if the spirit of Sauron can endure then who is to say that spirit of the greatest dragon of Middle Earth couldn’t have survived in some form, and that even Gandalf says evil will always take shape and rise again…”

“I’ve been in touch with site moderators around the world, and we’ve been doing round-the-clock 24 hour shifts. But as exhausting as it is, better than having the sites crash like the unmodded ones. Plus all the colorful language – with the global community we have to look some of this stuff up…”

Martin Freeman wore a characteristic wickedly impish expression during his brief comments, which has endeared him to so many. He brushed off the questions about the rumored film romance between Queen Beruthiel and Thorin Oakenshield. “I guess Richard is gonna find out he loves cats after all,” laughed the noted actor. He shrugged over what will be apparently a sympathetic portrayal of the mysterious Queen.

“Look, according to Tolkien she was pretty mean to her pets, to everyone, which when you think about it doesn’t make a lot of sense, the cats would be long gone.”

“Just like all the Middle Earth characters get modified a bit, more or less. Like Bilbo. The thing is, I’m pretty happy about it, because all those fan-fics can quit pairing me up with Thorin over a simple bro-hug, and Bilbo can get back to being Bilbo.”

So, it’s true that Bilbo, along with Thorin, his nephews, Thranduil, Legolas, Bard, and the Blue Wizards, will be taking on the great Ancalagon the Black?

“I don’t know anything yet, we’re in planning stages. Except besides New Zealand there’s gonna be some new locations. Security is pretty tight. Then there’s that mess where Thorin’s Hair was demanding some new concessions, but I hear today THE HAIR finally signed on. It had a point, a lot of scenes can’t be filmed without it, and those action scenes are wicked with all the flames.”

“But,” the actor winked, “I think some Game of Throne fans can expect some very interesting cameos.”AngelicCoolWink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.