Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Are you a fan of the book The Hobbit?
Poll: Are you a fan of the book The Hobbit?
Yes, I am a fan of the book.
No, I am not a fan of the book.
View Results (47 votes)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 17 2016, 2:42pm

Post #1 of 15 (781 views)
Shortcut
Are you a fan of the book The Hobbit? Can't Post

I am a fan of the book.

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 17 2016, 2:48pm

Post #2 of 15 (701 views)
Shortcut
Me too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

May 17 2016, 5:23pm

Post #3 of 15 (682 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit is my favorite book of all time.

Starling
Half-elven

May 17 2016, 6:26pm

Post #4 of 15 (670 views)
Shortcut
Nope. // [In reply to] Can't Post

malickfan
Gondor

May 17 2016, 6:37pm

Post #5 of 15 (672 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the story, love the characters, adore the atomsphere and tone, it's arguably the weakest of Tolkien's major works, but it's probably my personal favourite.

It's one of only two books I own more than one copy of. (one copy is a reprint of the 1997 illustrated hardback by Alan Lee, the other is the 2nd Edition of 'The Annotated Hobbit' by Douglas A Anderson)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 17 2016, 9:15pm

Post #6 of 15 (664 views)
Shortcut
I did a similar poll not too long ago [In reply to] Can't Post

seeing whether book fans liked or didn't like the movies - found that most book fans did. I confess, I'm not a huge fan of the book, but I didn't hate it. I thought most of the characters were underdeveloped, and I didn't much care for the Elves singing "Trally lolly" or whatever. I also didn't much care for Gandalf just disappearing and reappearing, but to me the worst part was the deaths of both Kili and Fili. I've said that many times, and it's been explained to me that it has something to do with Norse sagas, but I don't care. Worse is that the way Tolkien wrote it, it came off as an afterthought - "oh yeah, they died too." Oh well, to each his own. But the story itself is pretty entertaining - I regret that the scene where Bilbo told Balin about the riddles contest wasn't in the movie. I liked the Barrels scene (though I liked the movie version better), Bilbo's conversation with Smaug, and other story elements. Funny, in the book I didn't much care for Dain showing up at the last minute and getting everything; but the way it's presented in the movie helps me like Dain a lot better. This is probably TMI, sorry, and I don't know that I answered your question very well, either.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 18 2016, 1:16am

Post #7 of 15 (637 views)
Shortcut
I guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

you could call it my gateway drug to Tolkien addiction. So, that would be a yes. I love the book.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

May 18 2016, 2:52am

Post #8 of 15 (626 views)
Shortcut
I *like* and *enjoyed* the book, but don't love it [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that make me a fan? I adore "LotR," if it helps.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 18 2016, 9:57am

Post #9 of 15 (606 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't love it nearly as much as I love LOTR.

Annael
Immortal

May 18 2016, 1:54pm

Post #10 of 15 (591 views)
Shortcut
Other? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it okay. I would probably have liked it a lot more if I'd read it before reading LOTR, especially if I'd read it as a child.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 18 2016, 5:00pm

Post #11 of 15 (580 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 19 2016, 4:03am

Post #12 of 15 (548 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yesss. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe because I don't expect it to be LOTR.

Gianna
Rohan

May 19 2016, 1:14pm

Post #13 of 15 (533 views)
Shortcut
I am a fan of the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your terseness makes me laugh every time I read your post. Smile

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2016, 7:27pm

Post #14 of 15 (405 views)
Shortcut
I think this is important [In reply to] Can't Post

TH, LOTR, and The Silmarillion are all very different in many ways. There's no guarantee that liking one means you'll like the others, but expecting them to all be the same kind of book is a recipe for disappointment IMO.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 5 2016, 2:14am

Post #15 of 15 (396 views)
Shortcut
It also helps, I think, [In reply to] Can't Post

that I read the Hobbit first. Because I had no particular expectations, I was able to let it be what it is. And returning to it, even after scores of LOTR rereads, I find I simply mentally return to that "take" on Middle Earth when I go back to the Hobbit. When I read the Sil (decades after my first reading of LOTR), I remember reading comments here on the boards about Tolkien's efforts to create a mythology for Britain, and discussion about how different it was from either the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit, and with that in my mind, I didn't really have any trouble making the transition.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.