The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Movie lovers thread

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 17 2016, 2:10am

Post #1 of 20 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Movie lovers thread Can't Post

Those of us who really like/love the Hobbit movies can post here - the haters have their own thread now, so we can wax eloquently about our shared affection for these movies without the party crashers raining on our parade.Cool

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Avandel
Half-elven

May 17 2016, 2:50am

Post #2 of 20 (1259 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Those of us who really like/love the Hobbit movies can post here - the haters have their own thread now, so we can wax eloquently about our shared affection for these movies without the party crashers raining on our parade.Cool

Speaking for myself, at the end of the day (which in my case it IS, literally....) I figure my joy for these filmsHeart (for all my own quibbles) is at its heart, such a bottomless well, it pretty well floods out any nay-sayers. I can only respond to the most vitriolic nay-sayers with a rousing "Huh?"

A "crystallized moment in time" - a vision, an IMMERSION, which I was privileged to be a part of....

So very special...

http://cielo-chii.tumblr.com/...ay-costume-by-aurora

And apparently, I've got LOTS of company, from cosplayers to artists to writers to happy fans and collectors whose imaginations soared with these films...IMO the only DOWNSIDE is not having MORE TongueTongueTongue

HeartHeartHeart

Noria
Gondor

May 17 2016, 12:37pm

Post #3 of 20 (1196 views)
Shortcut
I too love these movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not without some criticisms, maybe not as much as LotR, but greatly. We can love something without being blind to its flaws, in the same way that we love our families even while we see their faults.

One thing that I love about these movies that is the opposite to one of the things I like most about the LotR films: until the very end TH movies have less gravitas. They are less epic and “realistic” than LotR but more earthy and personal. The story centers around the journey of an unlikely hero and an equally unlikely friendship and is more heartwarming because of it, for me at least. It has geopolitical overtones but those are not the core of the story in the way that they are in LotR.

I think that threads like this are a good idea. On a Walking Dead site that I visit, there are self-explanatory Love (no hate) and Hate (no love) threads, mostly for characters and relationships, as well as open debate threads. It works quite well if everybody follows the rules.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 17 2016, 1:20pm

Post #4 of 20 (1192 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah... the sun's come out!

One of the things I love in these films as I did in the first trilogy is the unexpected. I know the book so well: if the film had followed it word-for-word, scene-for-scene it could have ended up worthy but dull. To take a story I know and (I maintain) follow it in essence to the same conclusion but yet have that same element of surprise - that's what works for me. At their best the glimpses of things I hadn't thought of that yet seem consistent with a broader Tolkienness have the same magic as those glimpses in the books of the longer and deeper history - the stories hinted at but never told.

A few favourite surprises ar random (just a few!)

Glimpses of living Erebor and Dale
Little Bilbo meeting Gandalf (I'd have loved that snippet to be longer)
'Feast of Starlight' - Tauriel sounding so like Aredhel
Gandalf climbing into the High Fells
The dwarf miner discovering the Arkenstone
The acorn
"I know these walls"
Thranduil seeing the dead elves and deciding to withdraw from the battle
Thorin's head lining up with the profile of Thror's statue
Thrain in Dol Guldur
Smaug and the Golden statue

I could go on, but I won't!

*The mouse pours the tea, sets out a plate of fresh scones, and is content.....

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Anubis
Rivendell

May 17 2016, 7:30pm

Post #5 of 20 (1152 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

You know that feeling, when you decide to walk, and walk, and walk until you reach the ocean, northern France, and just stand there, in the beach, at night, wind blowing strong, waves passionately hitting the rocks, the sea foam turned bright silver by the moonīs shining, just staring into the vast, dark, unending abyss, the savage beauty just paralyzing you, until you slowly leave, not being able to withstand the cold? If you do, then...ehmm, good for you? Tongue

Just kidding. That paragraph actually has a purpose. It tries to convey the meaning of awe. I am awe-struck when I watch these movies. They ooze creativeness. Is watching The Hobbit the same as standing in a beach? No. Of course not. But they both are rewarding and enjoyable experiences, in their own way.

When you stand in the beach, you feel as if there is nothing in the world except you and that black mass in front of you. In my case, itīs the same with The Hobbit. I get absorbed by it, like if I were there, and all of it were real. How many things can do that to you? For me, thatīs more magical than anything Gandalf could conjure up.

I just wish the road went ever on...

Ok, so for all you lazy non-readers (come now, donīt be afraid, step into the light) I will sum up all of the crazy non-sensical stuff written above with one sentence: These movies kick some serious ass!
Cool
*Watches left and right* *Sees no sign of haters**Sighs in relief*

Thank you for making this thread, Kilidoescartwheels! :D

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 17 2016, 8:07pm

Post #6 of 20 (1126 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I share your enthusiasm - I often get lost in these movies, as if I were walking in a forest (or along a beach), losing track of time, not wanting it to end ever! For me it was like the first trilogy all over again; the wonder, the awe, the grand epic scale combined with attention to the tiniest details, like making sure the mugs in the Green Dragon couldn't be found anywhere else! There's a behind-the-scenes thing where PJ is picking through their white diamonds, finding the ones that are just the perfect size, all for that one brief scene where Thorin tosses the necklace back in the box, just for that perfect cascading effect! And I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but the scene where Thorin sinks into the gold floor, I totally get that. It was so original, I've never seen anything like that before! And of course there's the ice fight with Azog, another PJ idea that to me was so unique, and exciting, and I want to watch every second of it! Well, this is becoming a Thorin appreciation post!EvilHeart Okay, I admit it, I've got it bad for his #Majesty, but there's so much more to this trilogy than just Thorin. Someday, I'll make my video where I'll explain the top 5 reasons I'm hooked on the Hobbit, and I'll share it with everyone. Hopefully I'll get that done soon, but until then, let's just enjoy these movies!

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

May 17 2016, 9:51pm

Post #7 of 20 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Now that was just downright beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

And I share in the sentiment.

"Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right... even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, 'No, YOU move.'"
- Captain America: Civil War

Dwarewien
Rohan

May 17 2016, 10:15pm

Post #8 of 20 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Okay, I admit it, I've got it bad for his #Majesty, but there's so much more to this trilogy than just Thorin.

since when I first saw An Unexpected Journey, I was more into the villains (mostly the Witch-King of Angmar), it took me six more viewings before I technically fell for Thorin (but I would never admit it, at least not in person).

The main reason I wanted to see The Hobbit in the first place was because I was a fan of Tolkien (though I didn't read The Hobbit until after Peter Jackson's movies started to come out, even though I first read The Lord of the Rings when I was in college), not because of any particular character. I've never had a problem with any of the movies (other than what happens to my favorite character, but the only fans that actually like anything bad happening to their favorite character are the book purists, which doesn't include me, since I don't care if they change it around, as long as it's interesting. Practically everything I like is based on a book, so I would miss out on a lot of good movies and TV series if I was like this).

Just because it's been a while since I've seen any of The Hobbit movies doesn't mean I dislike them (I'm more into Jurassic Park/World right now), since most of us have other interests. Sure, there's things I might have changed, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy what we have (other than certain scenes, but I think most of you know why I don't like those particular scenes), since I tend to accept a movie as it is, not tear it to bits (I wouldn't like it very much either if I did that, since I'd be finding too many faults with it).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

dormouse
Half-elven

May 17 2016, 10:17pm

Post #9 of 20 (1107 views)
Shortcut
Awe-struck is good.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sums up how I feel too

that I have never seen:

Avandel
Half-elven

May 17 2016, 11:49pm

Post #10 of 20 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Thank you - beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

When you stand in the beach, you feel as if there is nothing in the world except you and that black mass in front of you. In my case, itīs the same with The Hobbit. I get absorbed by it, like if I were there, and all of it were real. How many things can do that to you? For me, thatīs more magical than anything Gandalf could conjure up.

I just wish the road went ever on...

I could never add much to this post. As many times as I have seen these films, it's always the same - just being swept to Middle Earth.
THIS Thorin could have been one of the ancient legends told and retold, from the Welsh Mabinogi or Beowulf...THIS Bilbo was IMO for the ages, THIS Thranduil could haunt your dreams, THIS Erebor is...well, it didn't exist before the movies, but as the great dwarf kingdom, it just seems so RIGHT. As though this was always Erebor, all green and gold...THIS Orcrist always had that graceful shape. Beorn's house was always wondrous and dangerous and OTHER, as he is in these films.

Awe is a good word for these films in the best sense. And wonder.

Noria
Gondor

May 20 2016, 12:11pm

Post #11 of 20 (997 views)
Shortcut
Transported to Middle-earth. [In reply to] Can't Post

Anubis’ lovely words remind me of one key thing that both TH and LotR movies do for me: take me to Middle-earth.

The books do that too of course, but the movies achieve it more completely for me because they include the additional sensory elements of image and sound, in addition to the words. It's one my greatest pleasures in watching these movies.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 20 2016, 1:17pm

Post #12 of 20 (982 views)
Shortcut
Well said, Noria. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Loresilme
Valinor

May 20 2016, 4:57pm

Post #13 of 20 (968 views)
Shortcut
Count me in! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

May 20 2016, 4:59pm

Post #14 of 20 (970 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

Both trilogies have become part of me. Can't really think of any other way to put it Evil.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 20 2016, 7:19pm

Post #15 of 20 (959 views)
Shortcut
Same here.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I can't think of a better way of putting it either!

that I have never seen:

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 20 2016, 8:46pm

Post #16 of 20 (943 views)
Shortcut
Amen. [In reply to] Can't Post

(Or should that be, "Aman"? Wink)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 21 2016, 8:16pm

Post #17 of 20 (891 views)
Shortcut
I actually really liked the Misty Mountains song from the film, as Thorin and the other dwarves sing of their long-lost home. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Far over the Misty Mountains cold,
To dungeons deep and caverns old,
We must away, 'ere break of day,
To find our long-forgotten gold."

"The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night,
The fire was red, it flaming spread,
The trees like torches blazed with light."

I always follow my job through.

No One in Particular
Lorien

May 22 2016, 2:07am

Post #18 of 20 (857 views)
Shortcut
The Dragon Fire, in Twisted Wire... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Far over the Misty Mountains cold,
To dungeons deep and caverns old,
We must away, 'ere break of day,
To find our long-forgotten gold."

"The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night,
The fire was red, it flaming spread,
The trees like torches blazed with light."

My only real disappointment with the soundtrack is that the complete song was not there. I was really hoping for the full version. It would have been awesome!

While you live, shine
Have no grief at all
Life exists only for a short while
And time demands an end.
Seikilos Epitaph

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

May 24 2016, 1:19pm

Post #19 of 20 (677 views)
Shortcut
I know I started haters thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

But for all you lovers for this trilogy last year BOFA was nominated for Best Film of the Year in the 1st Online Whale Awards. You can see what it won in their YouTube channel. It won a few awards but I forget what they all are at the moment.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 25 2016, 12:49am

Post #20 of 20 (620 views)
Shortcut
Whale, Saturn, IGN, etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_The_Hobbit_film_series#The_Battle_of_the_Five_Armies

Best Fantasy Movie for IGN and the Saturn Awards, plus Richard Armitage won Best Supporting Actor from Saturn and Teen Choice awards. Andrew Lesnie won Cinematography, Howard Shore won Best Music, Martin Freeman won Best Actor and Battle of 5 Armies won Best Film in the Whale Awards. Not bad for a movie that some people hate so vehemently!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.