The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
An Expanded Timeline for Peter Jackson's Middle-earth Films

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 15 2016, 5:50pm

Post #1 of 6 (628 views)
Shortcut
An Expanded Timeline for Peter Jackson's Middle-earth Films Can't Post

I've done things like this before; I started this version as an aid for gamers wanting to run a role-playing game campaign set in the continuity of Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy. I have incorporated entries from Professor Tolkien's "Tale of Years" and my own entries and dates are speculative in nature, but represent my best guesses. Feel free to provide your own thoughts and comments.

AN EXPANDED TIMELINE FOR THE FILMS

In the Second Age, many Dwarves leaving their old cities in Ered Luin go to Moria and swell its numbers. Númenóreans build a fortress in the south of the Greenwood upon the hill of Amon Lanc. The fortress falls out of use after the War of the Last Alliance. In the Third Age the stronghold is taken over by Black Númenóreans from Umbar and becomes known as Dol Guldur (the Hill of Sorcery). Dol Guldur is later abandoned, but the Wizard Radagast the Brown takes up residence nearby to keep an eye on the place. Over time Radagast looses sight of this mission, taking more of an interest in the birds and beasts of the Forest. Late in the Age, Dol Guldur becomes the stronghold of the Necromancer, who is in reality Sauron returned.

The Third Age
87 - Legolas, son of Thranduil, is born.
109 - Elrond weds Celebrían, daughter of Celeborn.
130 - Birth of Elladan and Elrohir, sons of Elrond.
241 - Birth of Arwen Undómiel.
1000 - About this time, the Istari arrive in Middle-earth. Lord Círdan gives the Ring of Fire to Mithrandir (Gandalf).
1050 - Gondor is at the height of its power. The Periannaith are first mentioned in records with the coming of the Harfoots to Eriador.
1150 - The Fallohides enter Eriador. The Stoors come over the Redhorn Pass and move to the Angle or to Dunland.
1300 - The Nazgûl reappear. The chief of these comes north to Angmar. The Periannaith migrate westward; many settle at Bree.
1409 - The Witch-king of Angmar invades Arnor. King Arvaleg I slain. Fornost and Tyrn Gorthad are defended. The Tower of Amon Sûl destroyed.
1432 - King Valacar of Gondor dies and the civil war of the Kin-strife begins.
1437 - Burning of Osgiliath and loss of the palantír.
1601 - Many Periannaith migrate from Bree and are granted land beyond Baranduin (the Brandywine River) by Argeleb II.
1630 - About this time, Stoors from Dunland enter the Shire.
1636 - The Great Plague devastates Gondor. The plague spreads north and west, and many parts of Eriador become desolate. The Periannaith survive but suffer great losses.
1974 - End of the North Kingdom. The Witch-king overruns Arthedain and takes Fornost.
1975 - Arvedui drowned in the Bay of Forochel. The Witch-king is nearly defeated at the Battle of Fornost until the rest of the Nine come to his defense. The Kingdom of Angmar is pushed back, but persists for another five centuries. At some time between 1975 and 2300 Angmar makes war upon the Woodland Realm and the Elf-queen is killed in Gundabad.
1976 - Aranarth takes the title of the Chief of the Dúnedain. The heirlooms of Arnor are given into the keeping of Elrond.
1979 - Bucca of the Marish becomes first Thain of the Shire.
1980 - A Balrog appears in Moria and slays Durin VI.
1981 - Náin I slain. The Dwarves flee from Moria. Many of the Silvan Elves of Lórien flee south.
1999 - Thráin I comes to Erebor and founds a dwarf-kingdom 'under the Mountain'.
2000 - The Nazgûl issue from Angmar and besiege Minas Ithil.
2002 - Fall of Minas Ithil, afterwards known as Minas Morgul. The palantír is captured.
2210 - Thorin I leaves Erebor and goes north to the Grey Mountains where most of the remnants of Durin's Folk are now gathering.
2340 - Around this time, the Wood-elf Tauriel is born.
2460 - The Nine are defeated by the Dúnedain and entombed at the High Fells in Rhudaur.
2463 - The White Council is formed. About this time Déagol the Stoor finds the One Ring and is murdered by Sméagol.
2470 - About this time Sméagol-Gollum hides in the Misty Mountains.
2509 - Celebrían, journeying to Lórien, is waylaid in the Redhorn Pass and receives a poisoned wound.
2510 - Celebrían departs over the Sea. Eorl the Young wins the victory of the Field of Celebrant. The Rohirrim settle in Calenardhon.
2570 - About this time Dragons reappear in the far North and begin to afflict the Dwarves.
2589 - Dáin I slain by a Dragon.
2590 - Thrór returns to Erebor. Grór his brother goes to the Iron Hills.
2670 - Tobold plants 'pipe-weed' in the Southfarthing.
2763 - Balin is born.
2772 - Dwalin is born.
2776 - Birth of Thorin.
2781 - Frerin is born.
2790 - Dís is born.
2815 - About this time, Thranduil commissions the crafting of the Necklace of Lasgalen in memory of his lost queen.
2820 - The coming of Smaug to Erebor.
2829 - Battle of Moria Frerin is slain.
2832 - Thorin leads his people to the Blue Mountains. Sometime between 2840 and 2858 Dís weds.
2859 - Fili is born.
2864 - Kili is born.
2915 - Aragorn son of Arathorn II is born on March 1.
2917 - Arathorn II slain. Gilraen takes Aragorn to Imladris to be raised as 'Estel' by Elrond.
2935 - Elrond reveals to 'Estel' his true name and ancestry. Aragorn meets Arwen and goes out into the Wild.
2939 - Thorin meets Gandalf in Bree.
2940 - The Quest of Erebor; the Battle of Five Armies. Thorin, Fili and Kili are slain.
2941 - Bilbo returns to Bag End.
3000 - Bilbo celebrates his eleventy-first birthday and secretly leaves for Rivendell.
3001 - Frodo Baggins takes the One Ring to Rivendell. The Fellowship of the Ring is formed.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 15 2016, 5:56pm)

Omnigeek
Lorien

May 15 2016, 6:10pm

Post #2 of 6 (605 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn meets Arwen? [In reply to] Can't Post

I realize it's tough marrying The Tale of Years with Jackson's changes but wouldn't Arwen still be in Lothlorien in 2935? I suppose she could have visited her father and met Aragorn then but inconsistencies like this are why it annoys me Jackson felt compelled to change the timelines.

Thror is also slain at the Battle of Moria, something Thorin somehow participates in at the tender (for Dwarves) age of 53. Thrain II goes mad and disappears after this.

Since this is supposed to be an aid for gamers, you should add Smaug is last seen around 2880.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 15 2016, 6:39pm

Post #3 of 6 (601 views)
Shortcut
Ch-ch-ch-changes [In reply to] Can't Post

Making allowances for Peter Jackson's changes means that Arwen would need to return to Rivendell in 2935 or whatever other year should represent Aragorn's twentieth birthday.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 15 2016, 7:42pm

Post #4 of 6 (594 views)
Shortcut
Edits [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thror is also slain at the Battle of Moria, something Thorin somehow participates in at the tender (for Dwarves) age of 53. Thrain II goes mad and disappears after this.

Since this is supposed to be an aid for gamers, you should add Smaug is last seen around 2880.

Edits follow:

2829 - Battle of Moria. Thrór and Frerin are slain, Thráin II is captured.

2880 - Smaug is sighted outside of Erebor.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 16 2016, 5:43pm

Post #5 of 6 (541 views)
Shortcut
Additional and edited entries... [In reply to] Can't Post

2939 - Thorin meets Gandalf in Bree. About this time might be when Gandalf and Aragorn first meet and become friends.
2941 - Bilbo returns to Bag End. Aragorn begins his period of great journeys and errantries.
2951 - Sauron declares himself openly in Mordor and sends three of his Nazgûl to restore Dol Guldur.
2953 - The last meeting of the White Council. Saruman takes Isengard as his own and begins fortifying it.
2964 - Aragorn leaves the service of Ecthelion II, the Steward of Gondor. Aragorn and Arwen are reunited in Lórien.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2017, 5:18pm

Post #6 of 6 (74 views)
Shortcut
How did I miss this before!? [In reply to] Can't Post

*applause* Well Done! Intensive work!

Thank you so much for sharing this :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.