Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I wish the movies hadn't turned the characters into morons for the sake of the plot...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

wizzardly
Rohan

May 14 2016, 9:34pm

Post #176 of 234 (1031 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always enjoyed the story as Tolkien wrote it.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 14 2016, 9:37pm

Post #177 of 234 (1029 views)
Shortcut
You probably don't think much of the female demographic, do you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Most love interests don't get a good reception if they're a damsel in distress nowadays.

I always follow my job through.

(This post was edited by ange1e4e5 on May 14 2016, 9:39pm)

wizzardly
Rohan

May 14 2016, 9:41pm

Post #178 of 234 (1019 views)
Shortcut
why? Because I disagree that a female character needed to be shoehorned into the Hobbit for the simple fact that there wasn't one? [In reply to] Can't Post

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 14 2016, 9:43pm

Post #179 of 234 (1021 views)
Shortcut
I actually thought Tauriel worked pretty well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably no need for a love triangle, but a strong-willed female who doesn't need saving all the time? I'll take that.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

May 14 2016, 9:49pm

Post #180 of 234 (1008 views)
Shortcut
There should be an emoji [In reply to] Can't Post

That emits an audible loud SIGH when users scroll past the post. I would place it right here.

"And you can trust me. Because I don't care enough about you to lie."
- Parks and Recreation

Rohan

May 14 2016, 10:02pm

Post #181 of 234 (996 views)
Shortcut
Can't you still? [In reply to] Can't Post

And allow the movies the artistic right to divorce themselves from being the slavish mistresses of the novels?

Finding fault with the very presence of a female character (not even touching on how well-presented and performed she was) speaks a lot more to the kind of viewer you are and not at all to the quality of the trilogy.

- Parks and Recreation

(This post was edited by TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense on May 14 2016, 10:03pm)

wizzardly
Rohan

May 14 2016, 10:16pm

Post #182 of 234 (982 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't impressed with the presentation or performance of the character. Fairly uninspired imo [In reply to] Can't Post

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 14 2016, 10:17pm

Post #183 of 234 (979 views)
Shortcut
Then what female characters are you impressed with or think are inspired? [In reply to] Can't Post

wizzardly
Rohan

May 14 2016, 10:19pm

Post #184 of 234 (979 views)
Shortcut
The Golden Girls [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Half-elven

May 14 2016, 10:19pm

Post #185 of 234 (981 views)
Shortcut
(: [In reply to] Can't Post

W. dessert....Cool

and more cake...

and 13 dwarves and a halfling....

My reward for actually doing some chores:

(Well, OK, wine vs. beer for meCoolTongue)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 14 2016, 10:20pm

Post #186 of 234 (976 views)
Shortcut
Who? [In reply to] Can't Post

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 14 2016, 10:22pm

Post #187 of 234 (976 views)
Shortcut
Arguing for the sake of argument [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I don't accept anything you say. If Thorin and his nephews were meant to die, it hardly matters whether they were wearing heavy, light, or no armor. Btw, NONE of the people in your GIF are wearing armor - do THEY look dumb??? Thorin and his Company did not look dumb, I don't think anyone here will agree with you in that regard. We could go "no he doesn't/yes he does" all day long, and it won't change a thing. You're just arguing for the sake of argument.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

wizzardly
Rohan

May 14 2016, 10:25pm

Post #188 of 234 (969 views)
Shortcut
Inspired female characters [In reply to] Can't Post

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 14 2016, 10:28pm

Post #189 of 234 (965 views)
Shortcut
Never heard of them. [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

May 14 2016, 11:09pm

Post #190 of 234 (937 views)
Shortcut
Nice - hope you're enjoying your reward! // [In reply to] Can't Post

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

StingingFly
Lorien

May 14 2016, 11:21pm

Post #191 of 234 (926 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel in LOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was a good example of a strong female character. She was wise, respected, and serene. She displayed her strength in her interactions with the Fellowship, connecting with them mentally and emotionally. She leaves the mighty warrior Boromir shaken and stammering after reading his soul. This is power. She rejected the Ring of power, even though facing immense temptation.This was inspired.
Unfortunately, in The Hobbit, we have the "girl power" nonsense that a strong woman literally has to be a strong woman, a 'kick-butt chick', who can do everything a man can do...and better! This to me is not inspired. It made for boring characters that felt shoe-horned into the story.

(This post was edited by StingingFly on May 14 2016, 11:26pm)

LittleHobbit
Lorien

May 14 2016, 11:26pm

Post #192 of 234 (922 views)
Shortcut
Never mind arguing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people just don't understand what the word ''adaptation'' means. They think a multi-billion dollar movie franchise is done just to please a handful of die-hard, fanatical purists of the original work.

Sad as it may sound, I think the same dumb arguments will still be stated in 2020 and even beyond that.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 14 2016, 11:49pm

Post #193 of 234 (912 views)
Shortcut
Um...actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Btw, NONE of the people in your GIF are wearing armor - do THEY look dumb???

The warriors in that GIF are wearing light armor. For some reason, folks seem to think that anything less than full-plate doesn't count. I don't think that anyone in Middle-earth was supposed to have access to full-plate armor (outside of Peter Jackson's films). The Dwarves of the Iron Hills didn't seem to have any:

Dain had come... Each one of his folk was clad in a hauberk of steel mail that hung down to his knees, and his legs were covered with hose of a fine and flexible metal mesh, the secret of whose making was possessed by Dain's people.. In battle they wielded heavy two-handed mattocks; but each of them had also a short broad sword at his side and a roundshield slung at his back. Their beards were forked and plaited and thrust into their belts. Their caps were of iron and they were shod with iron, and their faces were grim.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 14 2016, 11:57pm)

wizzardly
Rohan

May 14 2016, 11:49pm

Post #194 of 234 (908 views)
Shortcut
dumb arguments? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the question was ever, "what is the definition of an adaptation?" The question is and has been, "is PJ's Hobbit a good one?" It's a matter of opinion, and mine happens to be a firm "No". Others will disagree, and that's ok. I just feel that PJ "adapted" the story so vigorously that he has basically removed most of the Tolkien out of it.

Rohan

May 15 2016, 1:04am

Post #195 of 234 (878 views)
Shortcut
You are short-changing Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

She had a strong moral compass (it is directly due to her actions all of the following occurs: Legolas begins to comprehend the deep worth of other cultures and gets involved in the dwarves' plight, the same with Thranduil, though a far slower burn, Bard's children are saved from the wrath of Smaug and Kili is even granted a fighting chance, doomed as it was) who happens to also be a 'kick butt chick.' Which shouldn't be a real issue because, well, you know, the only other one in the movies is Eowyn and she's not present in this tale. Compounding how large of a non-issue this is is the fact she does NOT do everything better than a man can do.

Bolg kills Kili and defeats Tauriel. Legolas kills Bolg and is never not a badass. He's a dude.

Dismantled. As are most of CaptainObvious and wizzardly's arguments given a few moment's thought. My contention has never been against those who dislike the films. It is against those who dislike them and provide the opposite of legitimate reasons for their view or are incapable of articulating why. I've met level-headed cinephiles and filmgoers who aren't fans and can reasonably explain why.

There's just simply not many on this board and less in this discussion.

- Parks and Recreation

(This post was edited by TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense on May 15 2016, 1:09am)

Starling
Half-elven

May 15 2016, 1:13am

Post #196 of 234 (872 views)
Shortcut
From left to right they are: [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel, Rosie Cotton, Arwen, Galadriel. Eowyn isn't in the picture because she was out doing the shopping.
It's a hilarious situational comedy about what happened next to the women of LOTR and The Hobbit, once they got rid of all those shoehorned and unnecessary men. You should check it out.

Rohan

May 15 2016, 1:15am

Post #197 of 234 (863 views)
Shortcut
Should also go without saying [In reply to] Can't Post

That it being not totally like the book or not totally like Tolkien or not totally *what you were hoping for* is not a legitimate flaw in the trilogy. It just is not.

- Parks and Recreation

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 15 2016, 1:20am

Post #198 of 234 (858 views)
Shortcut
Rrrriiiiiight. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rohan

May 15 2016, 1:26am

Post #199 of 234 (856 views)
Shortcut
That's hilarious [In reply to] Can't Post

- Parks and Recreation

StingingFly
Lorien

May 15 2016, 1:57am

Post #200 of 234 (835 views)
Shortcut
In your rush to 'dismantle' my argument, you missed the point. [In reply to] Can't Post

The point is that a powerful woman doesn't have to 'kick butt'. In fact, in Tolkien's world, physical power/fighting prowess isn't necessarily a noble quality, as Frodo is much more powerful than Boromir (strength of character). Bilbo's mercy toward Gollum is a great show of true power.
Anyways, I found the Galadriel of the LOTR to be hauntingly powerful, in a subtle and mysterious way. Galadriel of the Hobbit was a one woman wrecking crew. The same is true with Tauriel in DOS. They are smarter, wiser, and more powerful than their male counterparts. They are too perfect, which makes them boring.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.