Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I wish the movies hadn't turned the characters into morons for the sake of the plot...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

wizzardly
Rohan

May 11 2016, 12:24am

Post #51 of 234 (1331 views)
Shortcut
I don't really care about the cgi [In reply to] Can't Post

It looked alright. I've seen worse. It looked better than the last Indiana Jones movie at least

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

May 11 2016, 12:34am

Post #52 of 234 (1331 views)
Shortcut
I think the work done was phenomenal [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the older trilogy, there's a shot here or there that's not quite up to par, but no matter our discrepancies over the CGI quality, we definitely agree on that last Indy picture. Not the worst I've ever seen, but... sheesh. Especially in that ugly jungle chase sequence.

"And you can trust me. Because I don't care enough about you to lie."
- Parks and Recreation

wizzardly
Rohan

May 11 2016, 12:46am

Post #53 of 234 (1321 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

The last indy sucked, but PJ's Hobbit was the greatest cinematic disappointment of my lifetime.

CaptainObvious
Rivendell

May 11 2016, 1:17am

Post #54 of 234 (1315 views)
Shortcut
I dunno about "greatest cinematic disappointment of my life time" [In reply to] Can't Post

No question it was a big disappointment in many ways. But when I walked out of Indy 4, I knew I'd seen a bad movie. That's definitely another movie bogged down by CGI in a franchise known for stunts and practical effects. I'd re-watch the Hobbit movies (though parts of BOTFA are unwatchable) sooner than Indy 4.

When I look at the Hobbit, I see a good movie trapped inside three decent to mediocre ones.

By the way, just because characters do things that don't make sense, doesn't mean I hate a movie that character is in. I love Jurassic Park even though most everyone in that movie acted like an idiot. I like a lot of the Hobbit, I just wish some of the characters had behaved a little bit more intelligently.

(This post was edited by CaptainObvious on May 11 2016, 1:27am)

wizzardly
Rohan

May 11 2016, 2:36am

Post #55 of 234 (1301 views)
Shortcut
for me it is [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit is one of my favorite books of all time, and PJ's movie ended up only barely resembling it. On its own and not holding it up to the book it is supposed to be based upon, I would say its a pretty good fantasy movie, however, as an adaptation of Tolkien's story, it is an absolute disaster.

CaptainObvious
Rivendell

May 11 2016, 2:45am

Post #56 of 234 (1297 views)
Shortcut
I get you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say its a pretty good fantasy movie, however, as an adaptation of Tolkien's story, it is an absolute disaster.

Can't argue with you there.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 11 2016, 8:52am

Post #57 of 234 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson didn't set out to make a straight adaptation of the book.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nor, for that matter, did Guillermo del Toro before him.

From the outset it was made explicit that these films of The Hobbit would be a retelling of the story of The Hobbit as the precusor to Lord of the Rings, directly related to the previous film trilogy and making use of the extra background material Tolkien provided - Gandalf's motives for setting the quest in motion; his meeting with Thorin at Bree; the true significance of the Ring. That's what they set out to do, that's what they did - and it really does help if you judge them on what they intended to do rather than on what you or anyone else thinks they ought to have done.

'Tisn't often I agree with you, wizzardly, but this touches a chord with me:

"On its own and not holding it up to the book it is supposed to be based upon, I would say its a pretty good fantasy movie."

So would I - in fact, I'd say better than pretty good, but let's not split hairs. On the second point, though, and as another reader who has loved the book The Hobbit since childhood, I'd say that the films offer an intriguing and engaging retelling of Tolkien's story by a master storyteller, with a visual beauty that takes my breath. And as, when all's said and done, the heart of these films is still the story Tolkien told about little Bilbo and his encounter with the big, wide, world, I'm happy to applaud them as a job well done.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

CaptainObvious
Rivendell

May 11 2016, 10:25am

Post #58 of 234 (1278 views)
Shortcut
dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
d it really does help if you judge them on what they intended to do rather than on what you or anyone else thinks they ought to have done. .

This is getting a bit off topic. I mean this as nicely as possible. You don't dictate how I judge or enjoy a movie. It's interesting that on this thread several people have posted expressing genuine outrage that I dare to dislike certain things about this movie. They're simply going to have to get over it, mature, or not post on my threads. I enjoy discussion. If everyone agreed on everything, there'd be no need for discussion. If Peter Jackson had made this movie first instead of Lord of the Rings, there's no question I would have liked it more. But the Hobbit adaptions grossly fall short of the standard Jackson himself set with LOTR. And that's disappointing to me. That doesn't mean the Hobbit movies don't have a lot going for it. They do. I know exactly what Peter Jackson and Guillermo Del Toro were going for. I followed everything going on with the movie for years before it was made. I was in complete favor of Jackson using the appendices. I just didn't get the Hobbit movie I hoped I would.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 11 2016, 11:32am

Post #59 of 234 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Hello??? [In reply to] Can't Post

First - my post was addressed to a point made by wizzardly, not to you.

Second - I wasn't dictating anything to him (or to you). Simply suggesting that it helps to judge a film (or book or whatever) with reference to what the creator of said film intended it to be. Seems a reasonable (and mature) point to me but voiced as a suggestion only, which wizzardly is free to disregard.

Third - there's nothing 'off topic' about it; it was a direct answer to something posted within the thread. And it isn't your thread. You started it, but discussions in these threads do wander from the original post all the time and the OP doesn't get to dicatate who posts and who doesn't.

that I have never seen:

Darkstone
Immortal

May 11 2016, 1:04pm

Post #60 of 234 (1224 views)
Shortcut
"The young dwarf prince took work where he could find it, laboring in the pants of men." [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This is getting a bit off topic...

Pants time!!

Elves and Men and Dwarves gonna cower,
When I finish building my tower,
When I finish building my tower with the Eye on top!
Watch that Eye and see how it glowers,
Ain't no contest between the Two Towers,
Nosey folks'll peek thru' palantirs and their eyes will pop!
The battlement's black and immeasurably strong, an adamant mountain of iron,
A buttress of steel, impossibly tall, held aloft by the power of Sauron!
See that Eye a winkin' and blinkin',
Ain't no finer tower I'm thinkin',
You can keep Orthanc if you're thinkin' that I'd care to swap,
For my black and shiny tower with the Eye on the top!

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

dormouse
Half-elven

May 11 2016, 2:14pm

Post #61 of 234 (1205 views)
Shortcut
"Will you have trousers or pants?" "I will have pants!" // [In reply to] Can't Post

that I have never seen:

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

May 11 2016, 2:34pm

Post #62 of 234 (1203 views)
Shortcut
You have a point [In reply to] Can't Post

It does seem that people get very worked up about these movies, and sometimes I see people jump in to defend any and every criticism of the films like they're Scripture.

On the flip side, there are people who refuse to see any good qualities in PJ's films, and think those who enjoy them are mindless sheep. I wish we could find more moderation in dealing with others' views of the films.

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 11 2016, 3:26pm

Post #63 of 234 (1199 views)
Shortcut
True... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Simply suggesting that it helps to judge a film (or book or whatever) with reference to what the creator of said film intended it to be. Seems a reasonable (and mature) point to me but voiced as a suggestion only...

Trying to see a piece of work as the creator intended does help to build an understanding, respect, and acceptance for the piece. However there is saying that goes, "I accept your decision, but I do not agree with it." (I have also heard this same statement used with "respect" or "understand" in place of "accept"). One can understand a creators point of view, respect his or her creative decision, accept it and still not agree with little or all of it. Is this possible? Yes, very much so. I see it every day with my job.

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 11 2016, 3:35pm

Post #64 of 234 (1182 views)
Shortcut
Well said... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It does seem that people get very worked up about these movies, and sometimes I see people jump in to defend any and every criticism of the films like they're Scripture.

On the flip side, there are people who refuse to see any good qualities in PJ's films, and think those who enjoy them are mindless sheep. I wish we could find more moderation in dealing with others' views of the films.

May I suggest Angelic, that we all - including myself - refer back to this, what is in IMO a wonderful and insightful, post by Silverlode.
http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 11 2016, 4:06pm

Post #65 of 234 (1185 views)
Shortcut
Yes, of course.... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no requirement to agree with - or like - the creative decisions someone else has taken in producing a particular work.

Still, there is a place for judging the work in the light of those decisions - and very little, that I can see, in judging it according to the creative decisions I might have made if I'd been the one creating it.

Years ago there was much discussion in the UK about a forthcoming adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. They were rumoured to be introducing nudity (what???), scenes of Mr Darcy swimming (ghost of Jane Austen turns in her grave) and all manner of horrors that weren't in the book, and though at that stage no one outside the production had the foggiest idea where all these rumoured changes were leading they were heavily criticised on principle. It turned out to be the most loved and universally praised adaptation of all. There was a reason for what they did, and it worked.

I had to smile at myself today because I felt exactly the same involuntary shudder when reading about a new TV adaptation of A Midsummer Night's Dream to be shown in a few weeks' time. Mention of one of the characters dying and I don't know what else - this is Shakespeare, for goodness sake, you can't mess with it.... But I will try to watch without prejudice (or pride!) and give it a chance because who knows, however much I love the original the new version might be really good too. There's no obligation to like but sometimes engaging with someone else's ideas with the willingness to like, even when they're not an instant fit, can turn out to be creative and enjoyable - and it can take you to places you might not otherwise have gone.

that I have never seen:

Darkstone
Immortal

May 11 2016, 4:11pm

Post #66 of 234 (1168 views)
Shortcut
"I warned your grandfather what his pants would summon. He would not listen." // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

May 11 2016, 4:25pm

Post #67 of 234 (1167 views)
Shortcut
"Saruman believes that it is only great pants that can hold evil in check.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that is not what I've found. I've found it is the small pants, everyday pants of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay..... Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid, and he gives me pants."

that I have never seen:

Darkstone
Immortal

May 11 2016, 4:54pm

Post #68 of 234 (1159 views)
Shortcut
"If more people valued pants above gold this world would be a merrier place..." // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

May 11 2016, 5:59pm

Post #69 of 234 (1139 views)
Shortcut
If this is pants, why does it hurt so much? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

May 11 2016, 6:27pm

Post #70 of 234 (1121 views)
Shortcut
"And if Baggins loses, then we eats its pants." "Fair enough." // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

May 11 2016, 6:30pm

Post #71 of 234 (1119 views)
Shortcut
"The pants like torches blazed with light..." // [In reply to] Can't Post

that I have never seen:

CaptainObvious
Rivendell

May 11 2016, 6:36pm

Post #72 of 234 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

1. If you make a post, don't be surprised if people respond to it. Especially the OP.

2. I'm not dictating who posts. I see too many threads veer off topic, and I'd like for that not to happen to this one. That's not an unreasonable request.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

May 11 2016, 6:52pm

Post #73 of 234 (1108 views)
Shortcut
I think you missed the point [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. If you make a post, don't be surprised if people respond to it. Especially the OP.

The way you where talking to Dormouse In your post was like that you took it to personal when Dormouse was not even talking to you, that is why Dormouse said that it was to wizzardly.

In Reply To
2. I'm not dictating who posts. I see too many threads veer off topic, and I'd like for that not to happen to this one. That's not an unreasonable request.

Not unreasonable but nearly impossible to follow.

Fereth
Rivendell

May 11 2016, 7:13pm

Post #74 of 234 (1087 views)
Shortcut
"Will they not spread to other pants?" / "Other pants are not my concern!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 11 2016, 7:28pm

Post #75 of 234 (1075 views)
Shortcut
"Aren't you going to search me? I could have anything down my pants." [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.