Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What do you think of Captain America: Civil War?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What do you think of Captain America: Civil War?
It's a masterpiece
It's good
It's alright (50/50)
I hate it
View Results (26 votes)

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

May 6 2016, 9:26pm

Post #1 of 30 (948 views)
Shortcut
What do you think of Captain America: Civil War? Can't Post

I thought it was really good and found it more of the Empire Strikes Back of MCU.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

May 6 2016, 9:39pm

Post #2 of 30 (879 views)
Shortcut
Loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the best movies from MCU, only the first Avengers movie is better.

In Reply To
I thought it was really good and found it more of the Empire Strikes Back of MCU.

By the way did you like the Empire Strikes Back reference by Spider Man?

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 6 2016, 11:20pm

Post #3 of 30 (872 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen it yet, will update later. [In reply to] Can't Post

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

May 7 2016, 12:03am

Post #4 of 30 (870 views)
Shortcut
I loved the reference! [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 7 2016, 3:04am

Post #5 of 30 (861 views)
Shortcut
We just got back from seeing it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted masterpiece because there isn't a choice between that and 'good'. But it was an outstanding super-hero, action movie.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

May 7 2016, 9:30am

Post #6 of 30 (849 views)
Shortcut
Robert Downey Jr is my hero ! [In reply to] Can't Post

this movie is how they all should be made...excellent and worth your hard earned money!

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 7 2016, 3:44pm

Post #7 of 30 (842 views)
Shortcut
I must have seen a different film than everyone else [In reply to] Can't Post

The film I saw was too long and too crowded, with a messy plot, cringeworthy dialogue, forced humor and surprisingly bad CGI. Great concept, poor execution. A wasted opportunity and a major letdown, especially after the success of The Winter Soldier. I'm done with MCU for a while.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

May 7 2016, 4:18pm

Post #8 of 30 (827 views)
Shortcut
Will be seeing it again with a friend! Such a fan! [In reply to] Can't Post

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

May 7 2016, 7:02pm

Post #9 of 30 (818 views)
Shortcut
Got my ticket for a 10:20 PM showing [In reply to] Can't Post

Been looking forward to this for awhile. Will be back with thoughts.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 7 2016, 9:54pm

Post #10 of 30 (810 views)
Shortcut
I like it, but I'm not loving it as so many others do. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't put my finger on why, just that there's something missing for me.

Sarahbor
Lorien

May 9 2016, 8:45pm

Post #11 of 30 (764 views)
Shortcut
It was awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it. I wouldn't say "masterpiece" (I think very few movies are masterpieces), but it was still great. With the sheer number of characters they might as well have called it "Avengers 2 and a Half" Cool

I have one major question though (MASSIVE SPOILERS so stop reading now if you haven't seen it):
1. If Black Widow released all the Hydra files onto the internet, why didn't anybody see that Bucky killed you-know-who then? Why didn't Stark find that out a long time ago? And, even so, why did Zemo go through this elaborate plan of blowing up buildings and blaming it on Bucky to draw all the Avengers to Siberia and then show them the footage and get them to fight each other? Why didn't he just release the footage of Bucky on Dec. 16 on YouTube or hand it over to the Sokovian government or something for the whole world to see? There had to be about a million easier ways to make it public and get the Avengers to see it. Gee, it's a good thing Loki never saw it or he'd have had no problem ripping the Avengers apart and conquering New York. In fact, Zemo seems to have done what Loki wanted to do, that is, make it personal and divide and conquer.

I noticed one of the words in the string of random words used to control Bucky was "homecoming." Do you suppose this has anything to do with the next Spider-Man movie, which is called "Homecoming"?

Ant-Man was hilarious, and I loved Stan Lee's "Tony Stank" cameo Laugh That was brilliant! That may be his best cameo yet!
I cracked up when Martin Freeman came on screen, because all I was seeing was Bilbo in a suit! He really needs to work on his American accent Wink

(Also, the language nerd in me feels compelled to point out that the "Wakandan" language is actually Xhosa (a click language), and the Arabic writing on the UN backdrop when T'Chaka is speaking is backwards and the letters are unconnected.)

Sarahbor
Lorien

May 10 2016, 12:19am

Post #12 of 30 (757 views)
Shortcut
Just thought of this [In reply to] Can't Post

They should've called this movie "Captain America: Finding Zemo"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 10 2016, 12:00pm

Post #13 of 30 (746 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Finding Zemo"!

I absolutely adored Ant-man and Spidey, such wonderful "um, I've sort of got these super-powers" guys. Would have preferred less fighting and blow-ups, but that's part of what the Avengers are all about.

Yeah, it was a bit weird hearing Bilbo talk with an American accent. Another Hobbit/MCU crossover! (Evangeline Lilly will return in the next Ant-man movie, and Tom Holland (Spidey) will be co-starring with (Hydra agent) Richard Armitage in a movie to be released this Fall.)

Sarahbor
Lorien

May 12 2016, 12:15am

Post #14 of 30 (721 views)
Shortcut
I also just thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a stroke of genius if Dr. Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) ever meets up with Everett Ross (Martin Freeman) in future Marvel films CoolLaugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 12 2016, 1:16am

Post #15 of 30 (717 views)
Shortcut
That would be [In reply to] Can't Post

a Marvel-ously "Strange" thing indeed!

Tongue

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 12 2016, 3:21am

Post #16 of 30 (707 views)
Shortcut
Because he wanted a front row seat [In reply to] Can't Post

1. "If Black Widow released all the Hydra files onto the internet, why didn't anybody see that Bucky killed you-know-who then? Why didn't Stark find that out a long time ago? And, even so, why did Zemo go through this elaborate plan of blowing up buildings and blaming it on Bucky to draw all the Avengers to Siberia and then show them the footage and get them to fight each other? Why didn't he just release the footage of Bucky on Dec. 16 on YouTube or hand it over to the Sokovian government or something for the whole world to see? There had to be about a million easier ways to make it public and get the Avengers to see it."

Besides, if Tony had seen the video and Bucky was still in the wind, he'd have plenty of time to calm down & think. I'm not saying he wouldn't have gone after Bucky, but it wouldn't be the same thing as that instant rage. And there's no guarantee any of the other Avengers would have gotten involved. This way, he pretty much did destroy the team. MY biggest issue is that, in the first Iron Man movie Jeff Bridges said HE killed Howard Stark. I mean, I suppose he could have killed Howard by hiring Bucky, but it appeared Bucky was sent after whatever those chemicals were, so I don't know, but a little bit of incontinuity here I think.

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on May 12 2016, 3:35am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 12 2016, 3:21am

Post #17 of 30 (703 views)
Shortcut
Oh, stop it! [In reply to] Can't Post

SlyLaughCool

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 12 2016, 3:34am

Post #18 of 30 (703 views)
Shortcut
I voted good, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

it was also a little disturbing. I didn't care for the film style in the beginning, very jumpy & really hard to focus on what the actors were doing, especially Black Widow's initial fight scene. I also feel that there was some incontinuity in that, as I mentioned before, in the first Iron Man movie Jeff Bridges claimed he killed Howard Stark. I also thought it was a little creepy that Vision was hitting on Scarlet Witch - I mean, Paul Bettany is old enough to be Elizabeth Olson's father! It's a little disturbing that the villain in the movie actually succeeded in shutting down the Avengers; well really he had help from some Government officials.

On the good side, I think it's an intriguing question: can a rogue group be allowed to run around unchecked, even if they claim to be the heroes? And what kind of supervision would they be subjected to? What was happening to Scarlet Witch wasn't really fair, was it? Also, it's about time somebody admitted that there'd be all kinds of "collateral damage" from those epic fight scenes. I thought Martin Freeman did quite well, but Chadwick Bosman was an outstanding choice. Really liked the Black Panther, and look forward to seeing more of him. But how is it that he's nearly as strong and fast as Steve and Bucky? I get that the suit is made of vibranium, but that can't explain everything he did. And retractable claws - remind you of anyone? Crazy At the very least, it was way better than Batman v Superman - but then again, I knew it would be.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

May 12 2016, 5:20am

Post #19 of 30 (691 views)
Shortcut
Nod to the comics. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I also thought it was a little creepy that Vision was hitting on Scarlet Witch - I mean, Paul Bettany is old enough to be Elizabeth Olson's father!

In the comics Vision and Scarlet Witch are a couple so I think it is a nod to the comics.

malickfan
Gondor

May 12 2016, 5:32pm

Post #20 of 30 (681 views)
Shortcut
It was alright... [In reply to] Can't Post

...not really a comic book fan, and I've only seen a few of the marvel films, I found it kinda talky/jumpy for the first half (the direction was rarely uninspired as well i.m.o) it felt like a set up for Avengers 3 rather than a Captain America film, probably more interesting for fans...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 12 2016, 5:45pm

Post #21 of 30 (677 views)
Shortcut
So, you liked the direction at least? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(the direction was rarely uninspired as well i.m.o)

I guess that this is supposed to be a compliment? Either that or it's opposite day.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 12 2016, 5:47pm)

malickfan
Gondor

May 12 2016, 5:54pm

Post #22 of 30 (674 views)
Shortcut
Ha...no...that was a typo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoops, meant 'rarely inpsired' (i.e generic)

I've found most of the Marvel films to be fairly blandly directed to be honest (GOTG and Ant Man being notable exceptions i.m.o)...maybe it's intentional with the shared universe...

Sarahbor
Lorien

May 13 2016, 7:54pm

Post #23 of 30 (646 views)
Shortcut
The shaky cam at the beginning [In reply to] Can't Post

I also didn't like that; that's actually one of my film pet peeves. When an awesome fight sequence is going on I want to see it clearly, dang it!

On a different note, I kept wondering if Bucky's trigger words had any secret meaning. I instantly thought "Spider-Man movie" when he said "homecoming." One, nine, and seventeen make up Bucky's birth year (1917), and nine may also refer to the Hydra of Greek myth, which had 9 heads. Freight car seems like a reference to the train that Bucky fell off of in the first Cap film. The others I have no idea about though.

(This post was edited by Sarahbor on May 13 2016, 7:59pm)

Sarahbor
Lorien

May 14 2016, 3:25am

Post #24 of 30 (621 views)
Shortcut
I suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, it would've been unlikely for Stark to find Bucky, but given that the Avengers were all living in the compound together, Cap would've been right there with him and he could've gone nuts on him with ease. Of course, having Bucky there makes it that much more intense since he was the one who did it, so I guess it makes sense.

When did Obadiah say he killed Howard Stark? I'm not remembering that part. If so, he could've been Hydra all along and hired Bucky, and could've joined the Starks' company with plans to bump them off and then acquire their weapons for Hydra. He was selling to terrorists, after all, and I'd bet Hydra funds the Ten Rings (Zola said in TWS that Hydra's been fomenting chaos around the world, and there was a Hydra buyer in Ant-Man with a Ten Rings tattoo).

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 14 2016, 4:22am

Post #25 of 30 (614 views)
Shortcut
Tony's Dad [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it was either when he used that paralyzer thing on Tony, or when he was in his bigger suit fighting Tony. I don't remember exactly when, I just remember him saying it. Hm, maybe I should re-watch itCrazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.