The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Has anyone

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

May 6 2016, 1:39pm

Post #1 of 12 (1051 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone Can't Post

Watched the Hobbit movies, then watched Fotr and had their emotions at seen Balins tomb in Moria changed?

OldestDaughter
Rohan

May 6 2016, 7:08pm

Post #2 of 12 (965 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it makes me a little more sad when I watch it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering how much I love Balin, it definitely leaves more of a mark on you when you watch FOTR and see his tomb. Makes you want to mourn with Gimli.Frown

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 6 2016, 7:09pm

Post #3 of 12 (963 views)
Shortcut
Well said. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

May 6 2016, 7:16pm

Post #4 of 12 (955 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

LSF
Gondor

May 6 2016, 8:20pm

Post #5 of 12 (944 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching LOTR when it first came out, and the few times I did before Hobbit, I had no idea who Balin was. So my emotion when watching that scene was "how sad for Gimli that someone he knows is dead." But now it's more impactful, since I've come to know and love him through the hobbit movies.

It's also more sad knowing the skeleton who was holding the book Gandalf reads is Ori.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 6 2016, 9:25pm

Post #6 of 12 (924 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's also more sad knowing the skeleton who was holding the book Gandalf reads is Ori.

The only reason we know that is because of the Appendices - they never ONCE pointed out in any of "The Hobbit" movies that Ori kept a journal. I mean, a brief scene of Ori writing in it, or drawing Bilbo's picture, would have been enough. Of course it could be in the FoTR book, it's been ages since I've read it, but still!Crazy

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

LSF
Gondor

May 6 2016, 9:31pm

Post #7 of 12 (917 views)
Shortcut
I know it wasn't explicitly mentioned in-movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Though you do see him writing in his journal and he does carry it with him up until Smaug dies. I do wish they had done Ori drawing Bilbo's portrait, which according to Adam Brown was talked about.

(This post was edited by LSF on May 6 2016, 9:34pm)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 6 2016, 11:23pm

Post #8 of 12 (890 views)
Shortcut
Not just that, the skeleton with the book is supposed to be Ori. [In reply to] Can't Post

He even has the same haircut as he does in The Hobbit.

I always follow my job through.

StingingFly
Lorien

May 7 2016, 1:15am

Post #9 of 12 (871 views)
Shortcut
Balin for tea? [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine a final scene with Gandalf and a couple of dwarves (including Balin and Ori) visiting for tea. Near the end of the conversation Balin mentions a quest into Moria and Gandalf has that same look on his face that he did at the pass of Caradhras.
You could substitute this in for the Thranduil/Legolas epilogue. Though Legolas finding out his mother loved him was pretty crucial to the resolution of the trilogy. Unimpressed

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

May 7 2016, 6:47am

Post #10 of 12 (847 views)
Shortcut
All 3 deaths are sort of indicated in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

In Old Bilbo's study one of the random papers strewn about is a letter sending birthday wishes from Gloin, Dwalin, Dori, Nori, Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur, the implication being that the other three have gone and met their end.

It's near impossible to read the letter while watching the movie, though.

No One in Particular
Lorien

May 7 2016, 6:54pm

Post #11 of 12 (766 views)
Shortcut
The Chamber of Mazarbul [In reply to] Can't Post

In FoTR, when they are reading excerpts from the Book right before the Orc attack, someone (Gimli?) Identifies a portion of the handwriting as Ori's as he wrote speedily and sometimes used elvish characters.

While you live, shine
Have no grief at all
Life exists only for a short while
And time demands an end.
Seikilos Epitaph

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

May 7 2016, 10:05pm

Post #12 of 12 (741 views)
Shortcut
Oin too [In reply to] Can't Post

Ori's book also mentions that Oin was taken by the Watcher in the Water.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.