The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Hand-engraved Labradorite Kili Stones

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

May 5 2016, 7:37pm

Post #1 of 8 (3422 views)
Shortcut
Hand-engraved Labradorite Kili Stones Can't Post

I thought I'd post a picture of some of the Labradorite Kili stones that my sister has hand-engraved. In fact, she loves engraving, so she has engraved all kinds of stones with different Middle Earth words and symbols. We got some real Labradorite stones, and she was really excited to try engraving those. They really engraved well. I'm putting some pictures below, but there are larger pictures on my blog here: http://littlekumquat.weebly.com/...and-kilis-rune-stone

The Labradorite is so beautiful in real life, and it's very hard to photograph. It feels almost like glass! Kili's stone in the film was oiled (which makes the engraving match into the stone). These stones are not oiled in these pictures, but my sister and I have oiled the ones that we carry in our pockets, and it really makes them look authentic!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 6 2016, 12:54am

Post #2 of 8 (3398 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the opal-like quality of the Labradorite is enchanting! About what size are these stones?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Avandel
Half-elven

May 6 2016, 2:54pm

Post #3 of 8 (3386 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

Lovely idea and what's nice about doing it yourself, you can choose the stone quality e.g. labradorite w. the best flash of color. Your sister's work looks great IMO - nice engraving. Smile

*Wistful* I wish WETA had done more w. stone carving, like maybe make the raven heads on Thorin's BOFA sale in agate or onyx and sold those. Or even a replica in black glass - they were supposed to be carved stone w. golden eyes.

LOL photographing opal and labradorite, it's not easy to capture the color play, and we don't see a lot of that color play on screen, either! Thank you for posting!Smile

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

May 6 2016, 5:19pm

Post #4 of 8 (3379 views)
Shortcut
Labradorite Stones (Size, etc.) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! The stones range in size from about 1-1/4" wide to about 1-3/4" wide. We kept a few of them, are saving a couple for presents, and she sold one of them after Christmas.

It is a shame that more stone carving wasn't shown in the movies. Sadly, people seem to really like the same Kili stones. My sister has made a lot of stones with different illustrations, symbols, words, etc., but everyone really usually wants Kili. I think the stone that she made with the Arkenstone symbol on it is definitely one of the coolest! Same goes for the engraving of Legolas' knife. :)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 7 2016, 10:08pm

Post #5 of 8 (3368 views)
Shortcut
Which one is the Arkenstone? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see it up close!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

May 11 2016, 11:50am

Post #6 of 8 (3334 views)
Shortcut
Close-Up of the Arkenstone Engraving [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, again! Here is a close-up of the Arkenstone rock that my sister made. Actually, she's made a couple of them, but this is mine. :) What's really cool about this type of stone (notice that it has a light vein running through the actual piece of rock) is the fact that the engraving disappears the minute you get the rock wet. Rub it on a towel or let it dry, and the engraving shows right back up again! It's really neat!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 12 2016, 11:50pm

Post #7 of 8 (3322 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's really nice - you say she has made a few more?

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

May 13 2016, 11:53am

Post #8 of 8 (3306 views)
Shortcut
Arkenstone . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, again!

Yes, she's made more than this one, but I don't think that I have a picture of it. She has a page on our website for her stones (link below), but I'm not sure if it's on there. They may have all gone to friends. :)
http://sarahbethonline.com/runestones/index.html

I'll see if there are pictures of any of the others, but I don't think so. It's really cool! She did one that had a stylized "B" on it, which was some concept art for a seal of Balin's. That came out so neat that our Mom kept it!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.