Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
How would you cast LOTR if it were made today?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

May 2 2016, 3:20pm

Post #1 of 57 (3140 views)
Shortcut
How would you cast LOTR if it were made today? Can't Post

There are some actors I would keep: Ian McKellen, Ian Holm, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett . . . maybe Elijah Wood. I'd try for Jeremy Irons for the Saruman role, or perhaps Charles Dance.

It always bothered me that the Men of Numenorean descent weren't all that tall, so I'd cast a bunch of 6'4" actors in those roles: Alexander Skarsgard as Aragorn, the Hemsworth brothers as Boromir (Chris) and Faramir (Liam).

Haven't got much beyond that. What do you think?

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 2 2016, 3:27pm

Post #2 of 57 (3068 views)
Shortcut
Elijah Wood as Frodo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Elijah Wood is no longer 19 years old and might make a better Frodo than he did back in the day.

Mark Fassbender for Aragorn?

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 3 2016, 3:48am

Post #3 of 57 (3046 views)
Shortcut
I'd say Tom Hardy as Aragorn. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

(This post was edited by ange1e4e5 on May 3 2016, 3:48am)

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

May 4 2016, 1:38am

Post #4 of 57 (3008 views)
Shortcut
Viggo... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was perfect as Aragorn!!

I think Michael Fassbender was born to play a Tolkien part - Bard would be perfect for when they re-make those awful Hobbit films into one film...

Annael
Immortal

May 4 2016, 4:51pm

Post #5 of 57 (2985 views)
Shortcut
Or Frodo? [In reply to] Can't Post

IMDB says he's 5'9" - and they usually pad actors' heights a bit.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

malickfan
Gondor

May 4 2016, 7:26pm

Post #6 of 57 (2977 views)
Shortcut
Alternate Casting suggestions: [In reply to] Can't Post

Paul McGann-Aragorn
Charles Dance-Saruman
Patrick Stewart-Denethor
Eva Green-Galadriel
Colm Meaney-Bilbo
John Hurt-Gandalf
James Purefoy-Elrond
Michael Fassbender-Boromir
Gemma Arterton-Arwen
Mark Hamill-Theoden

I think David Bowie was linked to the role of Elrond when LOTR was in pre-production, he would have been a great choice

Unsure

moreorless
Gondor

May 10 2016, 3:50pm

Post #7 of 57 (2893 views)
Shortcut
Certainly an interesting choice... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, Elijah Wood is no longer 19 years old and might make a better Frodo than he did back in the day.

Mark Fassbender for Aragorn?

Fassbender is certainly an interesting choice and I could see him in a number of roles in LOTR, Aragorn, Elrond, Boromir, Faramir, etc.

If some kind of prequel were made I think he could work in a number of roles, Numenoreans, Celebrimbor or perhaps even Sauron in his Annatar form?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2016, 4:04pm

Post #8 of 57 (2888 views)
Shortcut
Annatar? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I would be comfortable with a prequel involving Annatar unless it could incorporate material from The Silmarillion and perhaps even Unfinished Tales. As for casting Sauron-as-Annatar, why not Benedict Cumberbatch?

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

moreorless
Gondor

May 10 2016, 5:51pm

Post #9 of 57 (2883 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking more second age... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm not sure I would be comfortable with a prequel involving Annatar unless it could incorporate material from The Silmarillion and perhaps even Unfinished Tales. As for casting Sauron-as-Annatar, why not Benedict Cumberbatch?

Obviously the Sil is off limits at present but a second age plots with the forging of the rings and Numenor seem like they aren't and surely if one of them was made you would need Sauron as Annatar?

Fassbender for me would be well suited for that role, suitably noble looking but also with a potential darkness to him.I could potentially see Cumberbatch doing it as well although I think he has more of a natural air of strangeness about him that would make the deception a bit harder plus whilst he provided very heavily treated vocals for Sauron its clear Smaug was his main part and I could argue what he's now associated with.

For the same reasons I think he could be well suited to a few Sil characters if the rights were somehow sold, Feanor and Turin most obviously for me.

(This post was edited by moreorless on May 10 2016, 5:54pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2016, 7:31pm

Post #10 of 57 (2872 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was thinking more second age...
Obviously the Sil is off limits at present but a second age plots with the forging of the rings and Numenor seem like they aren't and surely if one of them was made you would need Sauron as Annatar?

I assumed that any movie that you wanted to feature Annatar would be set in the Second Age. However, the published Silmarillion includes both the "Akallabęth" ("The Downfall of Númenor") and "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age". Between them, these two works tell us much more about the people and events of the Second Age then we get from the LotR Appendices alone. I suggested Cumberbatch because we have already heard him as Sauron and I see no reason why he couldn't be Sauron as Annatar as well. Also his features are much more distinctive than Fassbender's more generically handsome good looks.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 10 2016, 10:38pm

Post #11 of 57 (2858 views)
Shortcut
I personally had Adam Driver or Ben Foster in mind for Sauron/Annatar. [In reply to] Can't Post

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 10 2016, 10:41pm

Post #12 of 57 (2854 views)
Shortcut
I'd also keep Sean Astin as Sam. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 11 2016, 3:04am

Post #13 of 57 (2861 views)
Shortcut
Actor Choices [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always a little surprised at how many American actors you favor for roles in Middle-earth movies. Although I'm sure that at least a few of them can carry it off.

CaptainObvious
Rivendell

May 11 2016, 10:44am

Post #14 of 57 (2852 views)
Shortcut
American actors rocked LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit movies totally needed more American actors.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

May 11 2016, 11:08am

Post #15 of 57 (2850 views)
Shortcut
No thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

All the actors in the hobbit where perfect casting plus the more British actors the better.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 11 2016, 11:58am

Post #16 of 57 (2846 views)
Shortcut
On American actors [In reply to] Can't Post

I mostly had Adam Driver in mind after watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens where he played Kylo Ren, who has similar rank to Sauron during the First Age but there are fundamental differences, primarily the amount of conflict in Kylo Ren, which is primarily absent in Sauron.

I had Ben Foster in mind after watching 3:10 to Yuma where he played Charlie Prince, the right-hand of Ben Wade. Prince is fanatical and tough, taking the leadership of Wade's gang when Wade is captured and tries to free him.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 11 2016, 12:32pm

Post #17 of 57 (2841 views)
Shortcut
Actors in 'The Hobbit' [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The few American (and Canadian) actors in the Hobbit films were fine in their roles, but so were the other actors. Some actors are just terrible at attempting foreign accents (Keanu Reeves, anyone? Carrie Fisher?) and I would prefer to keep those far away from Middle-earth whether they are American or not.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 11 2016, 12:33pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 11 2016, 12:42pm

Post #18 of 57 (2839 views)
Shortcut
Kylo Ren vs. Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I mostly had Adam Driver in mind after watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens where he played Kylo Ren, who has similar rank to Sauron during the First Age but there are fundamental differences, primarily the amount of conflict in Kylo Ren, which is primarily absent in Sauron.

Well, I would argue that Sauron was one of Morgoth's most capable lieutenants, who managed in some ways to surpass his master, while Kylo Ren was a whiney little punk with daddy issues and messed-up priorities. Adam Driver did play his role well, I guess, but I don't know that he could command the kind of fear and respect that Sauron represents.

In Reply To
I had Ben Foster in mind after watching 3:10 to Yuma where he played Charlie Prince, the right-hand of Ben Wade. Prince is fanatical and tough, taking the leadership of Wade's gang when Wade is captured and tries to free him.

If the role of Annatar is made available then let Foster (and Driver for that matter) audition and we'll see how the chips fall out. However, if I were the casting director then I would offer the role to Cumberbatch first with no audition required. To me the decision is a no-brainer.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 11 2016, 12:45pm)

CaptainObvious
Rivendell

May 12 2016, 2:36am

Post #19 of 57 (2806 views)
Shortcut
? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

All the actors in the hobbit where perfect casting plus the more British actors the better.

So you would have rather Lee Pace not played Thranduil, Viggo Mortensen hadn't played Aragorn, Sean Astin and Elijah Wood hadn't played Frodo and Sam. Brad Dourif hadn't played Grima Wormtongue, and so on? Agree to disagree.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 12 2016, 2:52am

Post #20 of 57 (2803 views)
Shortcut
I thought that Viggo Mortensen was Danish. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 12 2016, 3:14am

Post #21 of 57 (2798 views)
Shortcut
Viggo [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought that Viggo Mortensen was Danish.

Viggo Mortensen is Danish-American, born in New York City.

CaptainObvious
Rivendell

May 12 2016, 4:05am

Post #22 of 57 (2795 views)
Shortcut
Actually he's a muffin. [In reply to] Can't Post

People confuse him for Danish all the time.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

May 12 2016, 5:03am

Post #23 of 57 (2788 views)
Shortcut
I never said that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So you would have rather Lee Pace not played Thranduil, Viggo Mortensen hadn't played Aragorn, Sean Astin and Elijah Wood hadn't played Frodo and Sam. Brad Dourif hadn't played Grima Wormtongue, and so on? Agree to disagree.

I said that the casting in the hobbit was perfect and that would mean that Lee Pace was perfect casting to, plus I never said that I don't like the American actors in LOTR, quite the opposites. I could not imagine any other actor playing Aragorn, Sam, Frodo and so on. What I meant was that the hobbit do not need American actors to be good films and that nearly everyone who is in Middle-earth has an English accent so the more people from the UK the better.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 12 2016, 6:56pm

Post #24 of 57 (2750 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. Right. [In reply to] Can't Post

moreorless
Gondor

May 13 2016, 11:39am

Post #25 of 57 (2730 views)
Shortcut
They are in LOTR though... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
I was thinking more second age...

I assumed that any movie that you wanted to feature Annatar would be set in the Second Age. However, the published Silmarillion includes both the "Akallabęth" ("The Downfall of Númenor") and "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age". Between them, these two works tell us much more about the people and events of the Second Age then we get from the LotR Appendices alone. I suggested Cumberbatch because we have already heard him as Sauron and I see no reason why he couldn't be Sauron as Annatar as well. Also his features are much more distinctive than Fassbender's more generically handsome good looks.

Unlike much of whats int he Sil those events are also covered by LOTR hence an adaptation could legally be made of them. Honestly for me as well I think the real challenge of any adaptation would be the same whichever source you adapated them from, creating the characters and personal drama.

I'm sure Cumberbatch could play the role but again I don't think its something he's strongly associated with as he is with Smaug. As I think Fassbender sells a sense of flawed nobility better for me which I think would work well for such a role, his Magneto being the obvious example.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.