The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The dwarves in Goblin Town

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 2 2016, 6:31pm

Post #1 of 5 (802 views)
Shortcut
The dwarves in Goblin Town Can't Post

In AUJ when the Dwarves are in Goblin Town the Goblin King orders them to be searched. The goblins search the Dwarves and strip them of their weapons.

Now rewind back several scenes when the Company is sleeping in the cave. My guess is none of the dwarves are sleeping with their swords, axes, etc. on their person. Rather their weapons are lying beside them, much like Orcrist is seen beside Thorin. When the floor spontaneously opens everyone and everything goes down the shaft. The Company and a few weapons land on the "front porch" and almost instantly the goblins are on them, leaving little time for anyone to arm himself.

It's hard to tell in all the chaos, but it appears all of the dwarves are using their fists to fight of the goblins. None use a weapon nor does it appear any reach for one. So at what point between the fall and being brought before the Goblin King do the dwarves retrieve their weapons?

Also, as mentioned before the Company and only few weapons appear to land on the "front porch", but everyone and everything goes down the shaft. What happened to their bedding, bags, supplies, etc?

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 3 2016, 3:51am

Post #2 of 5 (738 views)
Shortcut
Presumably, that fell down with the dwarves as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the EE, Nori's bag is broken open, revealing numerous items he stole from Rivendell, particularly candelabras.

I always follow my job through.

LSF
Gondor

May 3 2016, 4:05am

Post #3 of 5 (734 views)
Shortcut
I assumed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I assumed the goblins picked up whatever had fallen with the dwarves, since they are scavengers. Some of the dwarves, like fili, do have small weapons on them that they probably would keep on them while sleeping.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 4 2016, 5:15pm

Post #4 of 5 (602 views)
Shortcut
Just re-watched that scene last night [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's highly unlikely that the Dwarves had much on them - a few things for sure, but not much. Thorin had clearly kept Orchrist close by (I would have, too), but I imagine most of their bedding & supplies got left on the spot where they originally landed. It's a logical thing to order that prisoners be searched, even if it doesn't appear they have any weapons (or if what weapons fell have already been confiscated). Yes, definitely Dwalin and Fili are trying to punch their way free. There's a brief scene where Bifur is being pushed across a bridge, and he clearly has no weapon. I think that, after Gandalf shows up that they just grab whatever is handy. Nori picks up a sword he didn't have before, and Ori has some kind of hammer. I love the fact that they grab weapons and toss them back to other dwarves, that really shows the teamwork of the Dwarves - much like the scene in DOS during the barrel escape, when Dwalin tosses a sword to Nori, who tosses it to Fili. And they are smart enough to pick up weapons as they go along; in lots of other movies people don't think to do that.Crazy

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 6 2016, 4:39am

Post #5 of 5 (536 views)
Shortcut
Well in the film, they all had weapons when they started out. According to the art books and movie guides... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin: sword (presumably named Deathless) and oakenshield, plus Orcrist

Balin: tri-headed sword

Dwalin: large war hammer, two axes, a knife and knuckledusters. Ori uses the hammer in Goblin-town.

Fili: two swords, several knives, and a smaller hammer

Kili: Bow and sword

Dori: Three-balled bola, sword

Nori: A large mace, an axe and two knives

Ori: slingshot

Oin: staff

Gloin: Axe, later given to Gimli

Bifur: boar-spear and knife

Bofur: Mattock

Bombur: ladles, skewer,

I always follow my job through.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.