Kili/Fili...Deaths
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 30 2016, 10:23pm

Post #26 of 106 (1327 views)
Shortcut
I've seen these movies so many times [In reply to] Can't Post

It is obvious that Fili has no weapon at his disposal - Why? I couldn't tell you, that part does seem uncharacteristic. Either he went up Ravenhill with only one sword, or he was thoroughly searched after being smacked in the head. I do not believe at any time after Azog dangled him that his feet ever touched the ground. As for Kili, that "extended period of time" was in slow motion, probably not so extended after all. Plus, not to brag but I used to take Ju-juitsu and know if you arch someone's back like that it's a really hard hold to get out of.

Btw, I've had 2 kids & currently a 2 yr old granddaughter who can certainly throw a good tantrum - and yes, I can pick her up, no problem.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 10:58pm

Post #27 of 106 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they didn't have 'basic self defence courses in MIddle-earth? [In reply to] Can't Post

But seriously, I find both deaths powerful because I'm not watching to pick holes in how it's presented, I'm watching two characters I've come to know over three films die in a very brutal and shocking way when they might have lived. I can't see the problem with that.

Before the EE came out I would have said that the moments those deaths really hit home came as the dwarves stood in the gate of Erebor and there were three missing, and, even more for me, as Bilbo climbed the path to Bag End and saw his mother's glory-box being carried away from the auction. Just the mention of the glory-box takes me straight back to Bag End in AUJ, and the brothers' entrance "You must be Mr Boggins", and Kili wiping his boots - "That's my mother's glory box, can you please not do that?" - it's a lovely subtle detail. One of the many subtleties in these films that gets lost in all the sound and fury.

Given the way the story was adapted, with Azog brought forward as the central orc villain and the inconclusive clash between him and Thorin at Moria Gate, the climax to that storyline was always going to be Thorin fightin Azog to the death - both their deaths. And that automatically ruled out Fili and Kili defending their uncle 'with shield and body'. Defending with shield and body is a last stand, and they wouldn't be defending Thorin in that way, without hope, unless he was already dead or dying. That was the scenario Tolkien was evoking - and it would have been powerful, but it wasn't the way they chose to do it. I think the way they chose was also powerful.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 11:02pm

Post #28 of 106 (1314 views)
Shortcut
From the movie perspective, I can understand why they died the way they did, despite my [In reply to] Can't Post

wish they had died fighting alongside Thorin. They are emotionally effective scenes. Fili could do nothing, once apprehended, to expect him to do so would require superhero abilities. Kili should have buried his sword in Bolg's skull when he leaped but somehow missed his chance. Bolg is far stronger.

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 1 2016, 2:55am

Post #29 of 106 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Was he armed? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...Doesn't he [Fili] carry a half dozen secret weapons? Both of his hands were free and Azog was distracted. Pull out a dagger, spin around and stab that Orc!

We don't know if Fili had any hidden weapons on him when Azog had him in a single arm grab. Though based on the previous two films we could assume he at least went into battle with a few knives up his sleeves. Still that does not mean he had any on him in that particular moment.

There are two possible explanations - at least that I can think of - why Fili doesn't whip out one of his hidden knives in one last attempt to escape Azog. (1) He used them all back in the tower. Throwing them at oncoming Orcs, trying to keep those that he could at bay before having to turn to his sword. (2) His weapons were confiscated. Azog and his Orc minions more than likely stripped Fili of his weapons. Even the Goblin King had the Company searched and disarmed. I don't see any reason why in this scenario Azog would not have done the same.

In Reply To
...Kili was briefly stunned by a punch, but was then held for an extended period by a single hand grab.

Kili? Oh Kili...I have to agree with you here. By all counts he was stunned by a punch. He's thrown, lands on his back on stone stairs. Ouch! That would take the breath out of most people not to mention take them down. But not Kili. Oh no, he jumps up, weapon still in hand, and goes at it again. What takes Kili down? A single punch to the face. Though, in all fairness, a punch to the face does hurt and if it's hard enough it could leaving you seeing spots. Maybe Kili's back is more durable than his face.

In Reply To
...When considering the size differential I am reminded of the difficulty in picking up a child having a tantrum. Any parent can attest that this is a two handed (and sometimes two parent) job. The heirs of Durin should have at least put up that much of a fight. Tongue

I've never been held down bent over backwards like Kili, so I'm not sure how difficult it would have been to fight back in that position. Though I'd imagine with his hands free he could've attempted a few swings. Not sure if he would've made contact.

Fili he may be in a one arm grab by one Orc, but there are also several more armed Orcs close by. Who by the way are not much smaller than Azog. Even if he was able to escape Azog's grasp he would still have to fight the other Orcs and as previously stated we don't know if he was armed. My guess probably not.

Also, Fili is clearly injured - we don't know the extent of his injuries - but he is injured. As Kilidoescartwheels points out the side of his face is bloody and his ear is messed up. Plus, if you watch closely, when Azog drags him out Fili inadvertently puts weight on one of his legs and winces. It's possible his leg may have been injured. If that were indeed the case, try as he may, he would not have gotten far with an injured leg.

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 1 2016, 3:29am

Post #30 of 106 (1297 views)
Shortcut
I must be the only one who feels this way... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but the truth is that they [Fili & Kili] were so underdeveloped and unmemorable as characters (in the book) that Tolkien could not even later keep straight which one of them was older.

I hear this and similar comments a lot on these boards. In regard to some of the Dwarves I agree they were underdeveloped and perhaps unmemorable, but IMO Fili and Kili are more developed and memorable than others.

I first read the book when FOTR was in theaters. I found Fili and Kili's youth and cheerful personalities a delight. I cried - more like sobbed - when these two died. Thorin, though he was the most developed of the Dwarves, I confess: I did not shed a tear. His cantankerous attitude kind of left me uninterested in the character. However, when I read the book a second time after having seen Armitage's performance in AUJ, I sobbed when Thorin died. And yes I still cried when Fili and Kili died.

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 1 2016, 5:25am

Post #31 of 106 (1279 views)
Shortcut
But... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Kili should have buried his sword in Bolg's skull when he leaped but somehow missed his chance.

Had Kili done this and succeeded then Beorn...er Legolas, would not have been able to kill Bolg.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 1 2016, 7:40am

Post #32 of 106 (1281 views)
Shortcut
No, you're not.... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first read the book as a child I really didn't like the dwarves. Bilbo - yes; Gandalf - yes; the story - yes; the elves - YES!; but I thought the dwarves grumpy, rude and stupid - except Fili and Kili. In large part this was probably because Tolkien said they were the youngest, which automatically recommended them to me, but also there were the little details that do emerge from the story: they were brothers and were always together - they had the keenest sight - Fili helped Bilbo on the lake shore. They seemed more active and more outgoing - they laughed (or Fili did) - they played the golden harps in the Mountain - they wore blue.

Small details, perhaps, but they do build an impression of their characters that sets them apart from the rest. That's how it always seemed to me, anyway. And it would have been good to see them die together in battle, though I can see why it wouldn't have worked in this version of the story, and reckon that what they did do for the film they did well.

that I have never seen:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2016, 12:56pm

Post #33 of 106 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hear this and similar comments a lot on these boards. In regard to some of the Dwarves I agree they were underdeveloped and perhaps unmemorable, but IMO Fili and Kili are more developed and memorable than others..

Yeah, Kili and Fili receive more attention from Tolkien than almost all of the other Dwarves (other than Thorin of course), but that isn't saying much. We don't even find out that they are Thorin's nephews until the company reaches Lake-town; and that isn't even referenced again until after the Battle of Five Armies when we read about their final moments. It's terrific that you could develop empathy for them as they are given almost no dialogue or much in the way of personalities.

I do wonder if Tolkien had not wanted to keep his revisions fairly subtle and unobtrusive that he might have gone back and given a bit more color to his supporting characters in the Company of Thorin.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

wizzardly
Rohan

May 1 2016, 1:48pm

Post #34 of 106 (1244 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But that was sort of what you were supposed to think of the dwarves. They were the contrast to Bilbo, and its not until the very end that Thorin learns the value of the hobbits simple attitude on life. I understand people might prefer PJ's noble, super heroic and handsome dwarves, but this was not the story Tolkien wrote.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2016, 2:38pm

Post #35 of 106 (1233 views)
Shortcut
The Company of Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But that was sort of what you were supposed to think of the dwarves. They were the contrast to Bilbo, and its not until the very end that Thorin learns the value of the hobbits simple attitude on life. I understand people might prefer PJ's noble, super heroic and handsome dwarves, but this was not the story Tolkien wrote.

We did observe a bit more variety among the Dwarves and their outlooks as individuals as the story progressed. Dori always seemed to be carrying or assisting Mr. Baggins. Kili and Fili were the youngest. Bombur complained the most when food was scarce. And Thorin's twelve companions did not universally agree with all of his decisions:

That day the camp was moved to the east of the river, right between the arms of the Mountain. The rocks echoed then with voices and with song, as they had not done for many a day. There was the sound, too, of elven-harps and of sweet music; and as it echoed up towards them it seemed that the chill of air was warmed, and they caught faintly the fragrance of woodland flowers blossoming in spring.

Then Bilbo longed to escape from the dark fortress and go down and join in the mirth and feasting by the fires. Some of the younger dwarves were moved in their hearts, too, and they muttered that they wished things had fallen out otherwise and that they might welcome such folk as friends; but Thorin scowled.

And the next day:

With that the messengers departed swiftly, and the dwarves were left to consider their case. So grim had Thorin become, that even if they had wished, the others would not have dared to find fault with him; but indeed most of them seemed to share his mind -- except perhaps old fat Bombur and Fili and Kili.

It is interesting here that it is Fili and Kili (in addition to Bombur) that seem to be unhappy with their uncle's position, even if they refrain from saying so.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Noria
Gondor

May 1 2016, 3:56pm

Post #36 of 106 (1221 views)
Shortcut
I liked the deaths of Fili and Kili. [In reply to] Can't Post

The “off-screen” deaths are fine in the book, in which his nephews are little more than appendages of Thorin, but they are more distinct in the movies and I felt that I knew them better. I would have felt cheated if I had not seen the ending of these characters. I agree with dormouse that Thorin’s story was always going to end with him going one-on-one with Azog, so Fili and Kili couldn’t be there.

All the Dwarves were overmatched physically by the massive and hugely powerful Azog and Bolg. Even Thorin was clearly on the defensive against Azog and was only able to defeat the Orc by using the ice and then by sacrificing his own life. Fili was battered and bloodied when he appeared with Azog so obviously he had put up a fight in the corridors, but was overcome. The facts-on-the-ground in TBOTFA is that neither Fili nor Kili was able to escape their captor.

Fili’s death was a shocking moment in the series, even for someone like me who was expecting his death at some point: one of these thus-far invulnerable Dwarves could actually be killed. I think Fili’s death was heroic, maybe not in the warrior sense but because it was courageous and selfless. First he took the more dangerous path for himself and then after he was captured and realized that he himself was doomed, his last words weren’t about begging for his life or his own fear, but were used to urge the people he loved to save themselves. The reactions of Thorin, Dwalin and Bilbo were heartbreaking.

I liked Kili’s death less because it was about Tauriel, but I suppose that also made it more heroic because he was trying to save a life. Before that Kili was just out for vengeance for Fili and might have gotten himself killed at some point anyway. It occurs to me that Kili might well have met Bolg at Ravenhill whether Tauriel was there or not.

Maybe the deaths of Fili and Kili weren’t “badass” but they were heroic because they were valiant and selfless.

Morthoron
Gondor

May 1 2016, 4:50pm

Post #37 of 106 (1210 views)
Shortcut
From my perspective... [In reply to] Can't Post

Had Jackson abandoned the embarrassingly ill-written Tauriel/Kili plot and amplified what Tolkien had mentioned in the book: Kili and Fili valiantly falling in defense of their uncle and king, it would have been far more effective, and given Thorin more of a chance to be reflective on his own madness and bad choices. The scenes would have been far more moving featuring Thorin's realization of his own folly than the absolutely cringe-worthy "Because it was real" moment at the end of the movie.

But the heirs of Thorin abandoned their king, which, from an historical standpoint, would be ludicrous, and was definitely just another episode of Jackson's penchant for destroying one's suspension of disbelief in order to add his own unnecessary and poorly planned plot twists.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

brotherbeck
Rivendell

May 1 2016, 5:26pm

Post #38 of 106 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Defending Their Uncle With Shield And Body [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a tough one for me, as the line in the book about the deaths of Fili & Kili is so evocative that I really feel the best version to put on film would have been something along the lines of what Tolkien had written. The two of them laying down their lives while ‘defending their uncle with shield and body’ could have been filmed any number of ways while still staying true to the spirit of the written word. It really would have been valiant and selfless to show that it took all three of them giving it their all and fighting in unison and working together to finally take down Azog.

For me this is just the end-point of a major problem with all three films where the relationship between Thorin and his nephews just fell through the cracks. I remember finding it extremely strange that the entire three hour first movie went by and it wasn’t even readily apparent by the end of it that Fili & Kili were even related to Thorin at all. It seems to me to have been a case of the filmmakers being so familiar with the material and having discussed everything probably literally hundreds of times amongst themselves all throughout the development process but ultimately failing to make sure the idea came across on screen.

Ultimately though I don’t feel the way they did choose to go was all that well executed. For me it plays as stunted and awkward. A choice like never actually seeing Fili fight the orcs in the tunnels is a strange one to me for a film that has bashed us over the heads with CGI-augmented on-screen action for almost nine hours so far. I personally think its apparent while watching the films that he put up a hell of a fight in the tunnels but was ultimately overcome by his enemies, I just can’t wrap my head around why Peter Jackson would choose to not show us this. Missing moments like this, or Beorn turning the tide of the battle, are why watching Legolas fly upside down hanging from a bat are ultimately so disappointing: it’s not only that the thing itself is just plain silly or stupid, but it is also the other moments we are missing out on, the things the filmmakers are choosing not to show us while instead choosing to show us this.

At the end of the day that is my biggest problem with Alfrid. I think he is a poorly written, horribly designed character partially but only very slightly redeemed by the actor’s portrayal. However, every moment that he is on screen I literally want to reach through the screen and physically grab Peter Jackson’s camera and point it literally anywhere else as there is always something more compelling and more important to the story happening elsewhere in the imaginary world being portrayed on screen.

My honest opinion is that Peter Jackson was simply tired and burnt out by the end of the production. It is the only way I can wrap my head around some of the choices he and the other filmmakers were making by the third movie.

There is a very telling clip buried somewhere in the bonus material. It is showing the editing of the scene where Kili reacts to his brothers death and charges up the stairs. I have always found the version of the scene in the film to be poorly acted to the point where it makes me cringe to watch. Luckily, it is over quickly. But in the bonus material they show a different take where Aidan Turner gives a much more powerful performance. He looks like someone whose brother has just been murdered right in front of his eyes. The pain and anguish and anger is right there in his eyes for the world to see. Unfortunately there is also a small lock of hair that has fallen out of place from one of his bangs into his face. To me it makes the scene all the more powerful, as who would even notice a piece of hair being out of place when your brother was just brutally murdered in front of you? But the hair in Aidan Turner’s face bothers Peter Jackson so they scrap that take and go with another one. That little vignette from the appendices really encapsulates this whole trilogy and ultimately my feelings about it.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 1 2016, 5:32pm

Post #39 of 106 (1199 views)
Shortcut
But Fili and Kili didn't abandon their King in the film... [In reply to] Can't Post

They did exactly as he told them and were killed obeying his orders.

that I have never seen:

LSF
Gondor

May 1 2016, 5:44pm

Post #40 of 106 (1189 views)
Shortcut
well obviously... [In reply to] Can't Post

They should have disobeyed Thorin and made Dwalin go check out the tower. Maybe Fili and Kili should've attached themselves to Thorin with a 10-foot chain so they can never leave his side for any reason Tongue

(This post was edited by LSF on May 1 2016, 5:45pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

May 1 2016, 6:25pm

Post #41 of 106 (1182 views)
Shortcut
You say that now.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but going back a few years to the days when we hadn't seen the film and could only speculate on what we might see based on our impressions of the book, and then on the bits of information and production photos coming out of New Zealand, I was definitely in a minority in saying that in my early readings I didn't like the dwarves (F&K excepted) and adored the Elvenking. The majority opinion seemed to be that the Elvenking was bad.

that I have never seen:

Morthoron
Gondor

May 1 2016, 7:01pm

Post #42 of 106 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I do understand why it was done, movie-wise... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They did exactly as he told them and were killed obeying his orders.

And I suppose I should have taken it one step further, rather than relying on inference.

The separation of Fili and Kili from Thorin was one more additional sequence of a ping pong effect, where we bounce from one CGI nightmare to another, from Thorin to Tauriel to Kili to Fili to Legolas to the main battle and back again in various disorder. I found it silly that most of the combat filmed didn't take place in the main battle, except for occasional brief glimpses and wide angle shots. And, of course, the three seconds of Beorn landing on Eagle Airlines.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 1 2016, 7:02pm

Post #43 of 106 (1182 views)
Shortcut
What I appreciate about Fili's on-screen death [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it was sudden and shocking and deeply unfair, which feels real to me. I imagine that many deaths in war could be seen the same way.

As for Kili's death, I appreciate it because I like the incipient love story between the Dwarf who rushes headlong into the chance of romance and the Elf who is at war with herself about continuing to follow her heart toward the unreachable son of the King or taking a chance on a Dwarf who unexpectedly touches and intrigues her. Having Tauriel watch his death, as she is unable to help him, is heartbreaking.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

wizzardly
Rohan

May 1 2016, 7:40pm

Post #44 of 106 (1161 views)
Shortcut
i always thought that was pretty obvious [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarves obviously having a chip on their shoulders over the whole dragon stealing their treasure and home thing, are written as proud, and generally pretty selfish and stubborn characters. I wouldn't say I dont like them though. It's just part of their unique natures.

Noria
Gondor

May 2 2016, 11:54am

Post #45 of 106 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Nicely put, Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

IN DOS, I too liked the story of the two young people who were able to set aside the prejudices and hatefulness of their elders and see each other purely as “human beings”. I agree that Tauriel did have feelings for Legolas, had it made clear to her that they were hopeless and then allowed her interest in the exotic and intriguing stranger to grow. But Tauriel’s story was also about her disillusionment with Thranduil and his policies and her decision to act as her conscience bade her.

I still like the relationship aspect in TBOTFA: Kili was as fearless and impetuous in love as he was in life and though Tauriel was wiser, she was drawn to him despite herself. What irks me is that most of Tauriel’s story in TBOTFA was about Kili, except for her jaunt to Gundabad with Legolas. None-the-less I still find Kili’s death and Tauriel’s mourning scenes very moving.

IMO the lead up to and actual death of Fili were very well done. I think it was more shocking that we saw Fili with nowhere to turn in the tunnels and then suddenly reappear, battered and bloodied, as Azog’s captive. PJ is as damned if he does as if he doesn’t, it seems. One time in which he doesn’t do the obvious and opts for something more subtle and there are still complaints.

More broadly, when I consider the Dwarves of The Hobbit and how they should have been portrayed on film, I think about how Gimli, book or movie, would have fit in with them as they are in the novel. IMO he would not, up until the actual BOTFA.

Omnigeek
Lorien

May 2 2016, 1:20pm

Post #46 of 106 (1110 views)
Shortcut
Huh?!!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just how is it you think you Gimli, book or movie version, would not have fit in with Thorin and Company in the novel? Would he have joined in singing of how Smaug came in and stole the heritage of the dwarves of Erebor? Absolutely. Would he have been suspicious of Thranduil's motives? Pre-Lothlorien he certainly would. Would he have battled orc and troll to save a companion? Of course. Would he have worn a colored traveling hood? Now that, I don't know.

He wouldn't have made passes at an Elf maiden but neither would Kili in the novel. He wouldn't have shaved to a barely-there goatee but neither did the dwarves in the novel(s).

Noria
Gondor

May 2 2016, 1:56pm

Post #47 of 106 (1109 views)
Shortcut
IMO the Dwarves of TH novel are rather different from those of the LOTR book and movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien said in TH: “Dwarves are not heroes, but a calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.”

Also, the Dwarves of Thorin’s Company in the book were helpless bumblers and rather cowardly. They weren’t even armed and were easy prey. It was not until close to the BOTFA that they suddenly began to show their mettle. That Dwarvish character work fine in the context of the book, in which even a pretty helpless and bumbling Hobbit could step up and become a hero in comparison.

Some of what Tolkien wrote may well be true of Gimli in the LotR book but he was valiant, loyal and a heroic warrior as well. So was movie Gimli, despite being a bit of a buffoon. In TH movies, the Dwarves are unhesitatingly courageous, heroic, capable warriors as well as fractious, stiff necked and just plain silly at times. In my opinion, they are closer to Gimli than the Dwarves of the book and need to be so for the sake of continuity in the six movies.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 2 2016, 4:05pm

Post #48 of 106 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Er.... I seem to remember that Gimli wasn't quite as immune... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to the appeal of the female elf as you're suggesting!

For sure, Tolkien cast Gimli's devotion to Galadriel in the tradition of courtly love but it love it still was, and he would have fought gladly defend her honour. Don't forget that Gimli was the dwarf who first gave us a love that spanned the age-old animosity of dwarf and elf. Without Gimli there would have been no Kili-Tauriel.

For what it's worth, I don't think I agree that Kili 'made passes' at Tauriel. Save for that one infamous remark - which actually came before there was any connection between the two of them and was, I suppose, meant just to show Kili being 'laddish' - in the same vein as his comments in Rivendell - everything between him and Tauriel was cerebral - romantic but not physical. I don't recall him making a single 'pass', or suggestive remark, for that matter, once he had noticed her as an individual and she had started to mean something to him. In that sense the relationship really is a development of the idea Tolkien started with Gimli and Galadriel. Just like Gimli, Kili sees Tauriel as being far above him. The difference is that while Gimli expects no return, Galadriel being the Lady of Lorien, with her Lord, Kili dreams that there might be one.

Oh, and I can see one way in which Gimli (book or film) certainly wouldn't fit into Thorin's company as described in the book. Gimli is armed and he can fight. Until the battle the dwarves in the book are bumbling and inept. Far from battling trolls to save a companion, didn't the dwarves in the book just wander up to the campfire one at a time and get stuffed in a sack? I thought it was only in the film that they put up a fight.

that I have never seen:

LSF
Gondor

May 2 2016, 4:36pm

Post #49 of 106 (1074 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I have no problem with Tauriel going to investigate Gundabad with Legolas, since there is more to her story in that than just Kili Tongue

As for Fili, sure it might be nice to see him actually get overwhelmed and try to fight back... But the way it is puts us emotionally right there with Thorin and the rest when Azog drags him out. Before the EE came out, I was really hoping that such a scene would not be put in, since it would take away from that impact, and I was so glad it wasn't. I've watched BOFA about a dozen times, and it still gets me every time.

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 2 2016, 5:10pm

Post #50 of 106 (1068 views)
Shortcut
True...depending on how you look at it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Don't forget that Gimli was the dwarf who first gave us a love that spanned the age-old animosity of dwarf and elf. Without Gimli there would have been no Kili-Tauriel.

I agree Gimli and his relation with Galadriel, and even Legolas, was the inspiration behind the filmmakers' creation of of Kili and Tauriel. And for someone like you and I, who have read the books and are in-tuned with the making of these films, we know this. However, the average movie-goer may not.

When all six Middle-Earth films are watched in chronological order, as PJ had intended, Kili and Tauriel comes before Gimli and Galadriel/Legolas. This could lead some, who are not familiar with the books, to the assumption that Kili and Tauriel inspired Gimli and Galadriel/Legolas and not the other way around.

In fact I've had to explain to my son, and most recent a couple of friends, that though by the films Kili and Tauriel are first, it is because of Gimli and Galadriel/Legolas the former exist in the films.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.