Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Because it is a wet.cold April Saturday, popped in TBOFA EE - some streaming thoughts

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 8:30pm

Post #1 of 21 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Because it is a wet.cold April Saturday, popped in TBOFA EE - some streaming thoughts Can't Post

I am trying to think how many "cliffhangar" scenes PJ has employed in all of the films...AUJ...hmm, mountain pass, Moria, pine trees, DOS ? , TBOFA = Bane hanging from the tower,

The Azog scene with his armies marching reveal MASSIVE numbers. This is before Gundabad is added in to the total. The numbers are clearly in the Pelennor Fields realm of size.

I don't like the scene of Gandalf being "orc handled" like a rag doll. We are to assume Sauron drained him of energy? I still don't like the "scared tone" of Galadriel right after showing strength. The Nazgul scene raises the question of whether they could have harmed Saruman or Elrond.

I would rather have seen Radagast being a little more "offensive" rather than just an ambulance driver.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 8:55pm

Post #2 of 21 (1083 views)
Shortcut
It still seems odd that Thranduil would sooo discount Gandalf's information re orc armies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 9:26pm

Post #3 of 21 (1070 views)
Shortcut
The numbers of orcs in Dale was simply too great......the men would have been destroyed..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dain would have been destroyed......

Thorin asks....follow me
Bard.....follow me

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Apr 30 2016, 9:32pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 9:39pm

Post #4 of 21 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Bofur playing Legolas with the troll....... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin and Dain have time to talk during the battle......

War goat run over orcs.....

Chariot chase...up over ledge and cuts off troll heads......

How does Bofur get back through enemy lines after being tossed from the troll?

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 9:57pm

Post #5 of 21 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Upside down Legolas....NO! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Legolas running out of arrows......

Tauriel yelling for Kili....way to go, distract him.

Kili jumps on Bolg but not run him through.....big mistake

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 30 2016, 10:04pm

Post #6 of 21 (1058 views)
Shortcut
DOS ended with a cliffhanger [In reply to] Can't Post

About the Orc army - yeah, I thought it was bigger than the Uruk-hai army that attacked Helm's Deep; "some 10,000 strong?"

It's Saturday here, where are you? I'm in Oklahoma.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 10:07pm

Post #7 of 21 (1052 views)
Shortcut
NW Chicago area.......just south of Wisconsin [In reply to] Can't Post

The ice battle was very good

At least in the EE we see significant numbers of eagles which could account for driving the Gundabad army off...along with Beorn of course.

Where is DAIN? In the appendices they mention the cut scene.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Apr 30 2016, 10:11pm)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 30 2016, 10:18pm

Post #8 of 21 (1046 views)
Shortcut
? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Where is DAIN? In the appendices they mention the cut scene.

What scene are you talking about? I can't remember any deleted scene with Dain that they talked about in the appendices.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 10:27pm

Post #9 of 21 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Yes, go back and watch again.... [In reply to] Can't Post

He was filmed looking toward the ice fight.

The EE ending is much improved over the TE.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Apr 30 2016, 10:28pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 30 2016, 10:30pm

Post #10 of 21 (1033 views)
Shortcut
We had rain all day yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

Today is sunny and in the 60s. Thorin's ice fight scene is SO GOOD, possibly elevated to my favorite movie fight scene ever (except for maybe Brad Pitt vs Eric Bana in "Troy" - yum!). As far as the Dain cut scene, I think what they did was completely replace him with CGI, which seems a shame to me, unless Billy Connelly just couldn't do the physical demands of the job. The way he's moving in the Appendices, I think that's entirely possible.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 10:31pm

Post #11 of 21 (1030 views)
Shortcut
My fault....DWALIN!!!! Not Dain.....Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 10:31pm

Post #12 of 21 (1028 views)
Shortcut
Any positive thoughts? // [In reply to] Can't Post

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 30 2016, 10:33pm

Post #13 of 21 (1030 views)
Shortcut
I think you mean Dwalin. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He was filmed looking toward the ice fight.

I have seen the deleted scene where Dwalin are watching Thorin and Azog's fight, but you said Dain so I thought you meant another deleted scene.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 10:44pm

Post #14 of 21 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin yes. Positive thoughts, yes, there are many, the ending was very well done. [In reply to] Can't Post

The added funeral scene, the best scene for me is the silent scene between Gandalf and Bilbo. I noted those scenes that take me out of the film a bit...the well discussed PJ scenes that some love and others not so much. But a tear still wells up with the death scenes. Thorin's mental struggle is well done. I liked that the rest of the company get their small parts. I like the grand scale but some of it was toooo grand in scale. I like the films, but I must be honest in my feelings. They are not meant to be definitive for anyone else. We all like or dislike different aspects. The EE version is much better than the TE but I would have loved to see EE even better. We do have the promise of future material hinted at in interviews.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 10:46pm

Post #15 of 21 (1017 views)
Shortcut
Me neither [In reply to] Can't Post

Tho there are cut scenesUnsure....in any case the east coast is getting the effects of the midwest storm system - e.g. it's cold and gray, and it is SO perfect for some Hobbit watching...TongueTongueTongue

We NEEDS it, Preciousssssss.........Tongue

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 10:48pm

Post #16 of 21 (1013 views)
Shortcut
I meant literal "cliff / edge" hanging scenes. [In reply to] Can't Post

They seem to show up quite often in these films.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 30 2016, 11:02pm

Post #17 of 21 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't asking you to be dishonest, just finding it depressing that all you seemed to be listing were things you didn't like. 'Tis possible to be honest and even-handed.....

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

May 3 2016, 6:31pm

Post #18 of 21 (810 views)
Shortcut
Maybe not [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember the Eagles could take out dozens of Orcs in one swoop and we have a giant beer in Beorn turning up later! Plus 13 Dwarves in a chariot I suppose.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 4 2016, 9:12pm

Post #19 of 21 (741 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that cut scene was powerful, but I think PJ said it could distract from Bilbo getting to Thorin. Yeah, that scene between Richard & Martin - in the appendices there's an alternate take and I can't decide which I like better! Anyway, Dwalin, yeah I think if he'd seen that he'd have run over to Thorin, so I guess it's good that they cut it. Too bad, though, but it does make some sense.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 4 2016, 9:17pm

Post #20 of 21 (739 views)
Shortcut
"Cliff hanging" in DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, other than the aforementioned "cliffhanger ending," there's a brief scene of Bilbo looking over some rocks for Azog. I don't know if the barrels would count, but they go over a waterfall. Then there's Thorin in the forges jumping off a ledge to escape Smaug, and he's kind of hanging from a basket or something. None of those are actual cliffs, but then again, neither is Bain's scene, not a cliff, just hanging. Oh, and then there's Fili (*sniff*)Unsure

Eruonen
Half-elven

May 4 2016, 9:57pm

Post #21 of 21 (731 views)
Shortcut
Fili, a cliff falling scene or dropping and Bolg - PJ loves his edge work....Frodo in Mt Doom [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.