Kili/Fili...Deaths
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

emre43
Rohan

May 9 2016, 3:36am

Post #101 of 106 (675 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

But the question isn't 'why is there a woman?' The question is, 'why just because there is a woman, does she automatically have to be involved in a romance?'

I never killed a man who didn't need killing
- Clay Allison

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 9 2016, 12:51pm

Post #102 of 106 (662 views)
Shortcut
I guess that's one of the reasons why people like Mad Max: Fury Road, because [In reply to] Can't Post

The female lead Furiosa doesn't necessarily get involved with Max, while the romance is in the background until the climax.

I always follow my job through.

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 9 2016, 4:35pm

Post #103 of 106 (641 views)
Shortcut
Not sure I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well I will try to answer that - keep in mind, I'm not Peter Jackson nor do I presume to speak for him. Could the film-makers make the third Elf male? Of course they could have. The REAL question is, would it have been better? In my mind, no. A male third elf would have done little more than stand there and be the third Elf. There's no kind of dynamic there - nothing you can really do with it, IMO.

Based on the dynamics of these trios- William, Bert, and Tom; Gandalf, Bard, and Thranduil; Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli; Frodo, Sam, and Gollum; Merry, Pippin, and Treebeard - IMO three male elves could have worked.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 9 2016, 4:48pm

Post #104 of 106 (631 views)
Shortcut
A New Elf [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Based on the dynamics of these trios- William, Bert, and Tom; Gandalf, Bard, and Thranduil; Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli; Frodo, Sam, and Gollum; Merry, Pippin, and Treebeard - IMO three male elves could have worked.

On the other hand, if the main purpose of the new Wood-elf character is to oppose and contrast Thranduil's perspective then why not reinforce that ying/yang dynamic by making her an Elven woman? That leaves Legolas in the position of being torn between wanting to support his father but being unable to deny this new point-of-view. This works fine by itself minus the complication of the Tauriel/Kili relationship.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 9 2016, 4:49pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 10 2016, 12:30am

Post #105 of 106 (599 views)
Shortcut
Of course you don't [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't expect you to. As I said, the REAL question was "would it have been BETTER," and my answer was "No, IMO." That's just my opinion. With the exception of the three Trolls, all of your 3-somes were of DIFFERENT beings: Elf, man & dwarf; Hobbit & Ent, Hobbit & Gollum, i.e., there was enough of a difference to have some kind of conflict, tension, dynamic, what have you. The way the story was structured, the third Elf was supposed to influence Legolas away from his father's perspective and become more willing to consider a different perspective. And no, I don't think a third male elf would have been able to pull that off as well as a female elf, unless you want a "bromance" or "buddy film," which is not the way the story was written. But our difference of opinion is based on how we feel about Tauriel to begin with, and since that is also different, well, of course I think the story as written works better with a female elf - again, just my opinion here.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 10 2016, 3:08am

Post #106 of 106 (585 views)
Shortcut
My examples... [In reply to] Can't Post

are based on gender not race. Despite the different races represented in each group, they are all the same gender. The question isn't whether or not there is a dynamic among characters of the same race, but is there a dynamic among characters of the same gender. Based on the examples provided: yes, there is (can be) dynamics among characters of the same gender.

I may not agree with your opinion, but I respect it. That said this discussion has come to a point where - IMO - it is best for us to agree to disagree. So, this is me graciously bowing out.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.