The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit Challenge - Week 3

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 13 2016, 3:01pm

Post #1 of 18 (1523 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Challenge - Week 3 Can't Post

Welcome to the third and final week of The Hobbit 3 Week Challenge.

Thanks to all who participated in weeks 1 and 2. If you are just now joining in feel free to start from here or click on the links at the end of this post for questions from weeks 1 and 2.

A few things to know:
1. This is strictly for kicks and giggles. There are no right or wrong answers.
2. While this is for fun, it also a challenge. The challenge is to answer all the questions. Cool

Let's begin.

Week 3
1. Favorite ending credits song
2. Favorite poem or song (excluding ending credit songs)
3. Best dressed character
4. Favorite weapon
5. Top three quotes (one from each film)
6. Dwarves or Elves (choose one)
7. Favorite Legolas moment
8. Your thoughts on Tauriel
9. Are you a Baggins or a Took?
10. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) what would you rate The Hobbit trilogy? Explain your rating.

Week one questions: http://newboards.theonering.net/...psed;guest=167559914

Week two questions: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=901504#901504

Sarahbor
Lorien

Apr 13 2016, 4:44pm

Post #2 of 18 (1467 views)
Shortcut
Not late this time! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Song of the Lonely Mountain
2. Misty Mountains Cold
3. You mean as in best costume? Thorin and Thror
4. Orcrist
5. Oh man, so many good ones. AUJ: Gandalf's speech to Galadriel / DOS: "My wings...are a HURRICANE!" / BOFA: "Will you follow me, one last time?" or "If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place" (I know I'm forgetting some good ones, these are just off the top of my head)
6. Dwarves
7. When he throws Orcrist into the orc about to stab Thorin
8. Unnecessary, and the love triangle was ridiculous
9. Took - I love a good adventure
10. 8 - could do without the OTT moments, love triangle, and very un-Tolkienesque comments here and there, and in their places would've liked to see more Beorn and scenes from the book, like the dwarves meeting Thranduil (which they originally shot!), and a longer funeral for Thorin with a eulogy; but overall they're still enjoyable films that I love watching over and over. They're the best adaptations of The Hobbit to date (Rankin-Bass was terrible), and the best we're going to get.

Hobbit/LOTR cartoons & humor: http://www.sarahbor.com/

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 13 2016, 4:52pm

Post #3 of 18 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Mine [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The Last Goodbye
2. Blunt the Knives
3. Bilbo
4. Sting
5. AUJ " What do you mean? Do you wont to wish me a good morning or do mean that it is a good morning whether I wont it or not, or perhaps you wont to say that you feel good on this partially morning or are you simply stating that this is a morning too be good on.
DOS "Well, thief! I smell you, I hear your breath, I feel your air."
TBOFA"You are a very fin person Mr Baggins, and I am very fond of you, but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all"
6. Dwarves
7. Everything he does during the barrel scene.
8. I really like her. She was a great addison to the films.
9. Baggins
10. 9. Good characters, great plot, close to the book. The only reason it is not a 10 is because sometimes the CGI is not perfect, Beorn did not have much screentime, some parts like the romance and Legolas could have been handled better.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 13 2016, 4:52pm

Post #4 of 18 (1464 views)
Shortcut
The *unbearable stress* of CHOICE [In reply to] Can't Post

I've begun to avoid these kinds of posts because IMO it's just SO impossible - it's like asking if I prefer B&J Cherry Garcia ice cream over Salted Caramel Core.....agggghhh why can't I have it all?????TongueCool

Anyway....

1) Song of the Lonely Mountain - not that me, I will always think more lyrics should have been attached to Misty Mountains and that should have been used *sigh*.....

2) Misty Mountains HeartHeartHeart

3) Best dressed character? IMO Thorin, for me - not just because of *blatant favoritism* LOLCool, but if a costume is supposed to define and have an impact, I still remember my first theater viewings of AUJ, just staring in fascination as the light sparked off Thorin's jerkin? tunic? in Bag End. Was Thorin studded in small jewels? For me, I'd say that brigandine armor and the hungry "research" it triggered, for me, threw open the door to a fascinating new world of armor, swords, costumes.

(So sue me, I just recently discovered LEGOs and IMO it's mind-blowing what folks come up with: http://www.eurobricks.com/....php?showtopic=81156)

Thorin's "traveling costume" is rich but functional - those gleaming vambraces, another point of fascination for me - so there's this TEXTURE - hard and soft, light and dark, all the contrasts - like Thorin himself. (OK, I can't stop with ONE - so kudos from me also to Dwalin and Gloin - again with all the layers and textures - also the badassery of the BOFA outfits and those studded, quilted leather glovesTongue, and Thranduil's IMO haunting BOFA armor which for me evokes so much...HeartHeartHeart)

4) Favorite weapon? Has to be Orcrist HeartHeartHeart

5) Top quotes (arghhh - this is so hard.....)

AUJ - "I would take each and every one of these dwarves over the mightiest army...loyalty. Honor. A willing heart. I can ask no more than that..."
DOS - "If this is to end in fire..."
BOFA - Argh.....well, I suppose it's a tie from the trailer "Everything I did, I did for them" *sob* and the entire Dwalin/Thorin interaction "You sit here in these vast halls with a crown upon your head...but you are lesser now than you have ever been...you were always my king. You used to know that once." and Thorin's speech to Bard and "plant your trees...watch them grow" *sob*.

(This one is too hard LOL)

6. Dwarves! Dwarves! Dwarves! Du Bekar!!!!HeartCool

7. Favorite Legolas moment - argh, well, I love Lego saving Thorin in BOFA, but I think Thorin is more interesting visually to watch as he is stabbing orcs and in real danger - hmmm, difficult for me. Guess I'll go with Legolas engaging at the bridge in DOS, because it just seem to be Legolas to me - as I see him - a focused and deadly elven warrior, and I love that twirly thing he does with his bow and love that it is OB doing it. And for some perverse reason Legolas shooting an arrow into the face of an orc this close makes me laugh - guess this orc had a real bad day......CoolAngelic

Huge honorable mentions tho to his entrance in DOS and that knife fight at Bard's - especially the scissor move that takes off a head.....

8. Tauriel - The short version for me is kudos IMO to EL for being better than I thought she was going to be in the part, and for being a believable as a fighting female elf. But, overall, IMO an over-used and mis-used character, in the sense of "forcing" her importance re screen time and the narrative - e.g., am 98% sure I will always feel that it would have been far better to play to what I saw as EL's strengths and kept her on the battlefield, possibly even losing her life and not having this Tauriel/Legolas/Kili muddle.Unimpressed

So to keep an often-discussed topic short - overall, for me, "eh". Not an outright disaster that I believed it was going to be, but not compelling either, and IMO the moments I think failFrown in these films (the healing scene, Thranduil/Tauriel) often involve this character. That said, I actually think Tauriel has some quite nice moments with a good delivery. Left up to me, I would have ratcheted her presence down in the films, a lot.Unimpressed

9. A Baggins who would like to be more Took!Cool

10. Overall rating: An "8". These are my favorite films of all timeHeartHeartHeart, and thanks to the dwarf cast, Martin Freeman, BC/Smaug, Sir Ian, Sir Christopher, Lee Pace, and other cast members, some gorgeous lines, the sets and costumes, the sheer IMAGINATION of it all - I'd really, really love to give these films an off-the-chart "12" and climbing, because IMO they are magicHeartHeartHeart...but, I can't overlook some IMO choices that I wish had not happened - BOFA's and even DOS' too-tight editing, which for me in BOFA ended up with a kind of "slingshot" from scene to scene, the first time I saw it.Shocked

I completely disagree with PJ's decision to NOT use an "epic fantasy" pace vs. this "thriller pace" in BOFA. The "de-focusing" of the dwarves except for Kili IMO was not a good decisionFrownFrownFrown, and jarring IMO when a clear bond between Fili and Kili is shown through AUJ and DOS. Also, I still wince over the illogic of Thorin having relatively little interaction with his Crown Prince. Frown

Also the lack of arguably one of the most fascinating characters in Middle Earth esp. re BOFA - e.g. Beorn. BOFA, I think, particularly shows the strain of "shoehorning" Tauriel into a story that already had a complete, compelling, and well-known arc, IMO resulting in some dubious/tepid scenes in BOFA.
The IMO inappropriate use of Alfrid - way too much of him in a fashion that wasn't successful, IMO, as a comic attempt - because there WAS too much of him.

Not to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" tho. Because IMO the good stuff is SO very goodHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart, and there was never a set of films I re-watch like I watch the Hobbit films.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 13 2016, 6:04pm

Post #5 of 18 (1447 views)
Shortcut
week 3 answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Week 3
1. Favorite ending credits song - The Last Goodbye (Billy Boyd)

2. Favorite poem or song (excluding ending credit songs) - That's What Bilbo Baggins Hates! (AUJ)

3. Best dressed character - Thranduil. Everything he wore was fantastic, but that wooden crown takes the cake.

4. Favorite weapon - Orcrist. Followed closely by Dain's Twirly-Whirlies. Those were just GENIUS.

AUJ - During Riddles In The Dark when Gollum asks himself a question, Bilbo responds, then Gollum pokes his head over the rock and says, "Wasn't talking to you!"

DOS - Thorin saying, "I have the only right," when Bard questions his right to enter the mountain. His delivery is incredible.

BOTFA - Thorin's death speach.

6. Dwarves or Elves (choose one) - Elves.

7. Favorite Legolas moment - His pursuit of the dwarves down the river. The entire scene is breathtaking.

8. Your thoughts on Tauriel - Evangeline Lilly with red hair. Need I say more? (***sigh***). Seriously though, I thought EL knocked it out of the park, especially considering I was a bit squeamish about the role at first.

9. Are you a Baggins or a Took? - a Took when I was younger, but I've grown into a Baggins for sure.

10. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) what would you rate The Hobbit trilogy? Explain your rating. - 8.5/10. For perspective, I give LOTR a 9.5, only because of the few slightly cringe-worthy moments of dialogue and stunts. But an 8.5/10 to The Hobbit because of a few minor issues: Alfrid got way too much air-time, Beorn got too little air-time; I wanted to see more of Thorin's funeral and Dain's coronation and Bilbo's return journey. The list of great things is far too long...

(This post was edited by Nuradar on Apr 13 2016, 6:10pm)

Sarahbor
Lorien

Apr 13 2016, 6:41pm

Post #6 of 18 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally agree about the twirly-whirlies, and they were my 2nd place as well. One of my favorite parts about the making of these films is the weapons design, and those things are indeed genius. Simultaneously offensive and defensive; a missile and a missile shield at the same time. And they're completely original--we've never seen anything like them in a film before!

Hobbit/LOTR cartoons & humor: http://www.sarahbor.com/

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 13 2016, 7:10pm

Post #7 of 18 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Let's do this! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. "The Last Goodbye"
2. "Misty Mountains"
3. Bilbo
4. Sting
5. AUJ: "All good stories deserve embellishment."
DOS: "If this is to end in fire, then we shall all burn together."
BOTFA: "You sit here, in these vast halls, with a crown upon your head and yet you are lesser now than you have ever been."
6. Elves
7. his reaction when he hears Tauriel has gone into the woods alone
8. I enjoyed both the character and Lilly's performance and, yes, even the romance subplot.
9. a Baggins
10. I'll give it an 8. Wonderfully entertaining and imaginative, but a little too heavy on action for my taste.

LSF
Gondor

Apr 13 2016, 7:10pm

Post #8 of 18 (1425 views)
Shortcut
my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1- Song of the Lonely Mountain

2- Misty Mountains in Bag End... though my evil side loves singing along with Goblin King every time I watch Tongue

3- Elrond's blue and gold outfits are really nice

4- Balin's mace-sword thing. So unique

5- AUJ- Bilbo's why he came back speech after goblin escape.
DOS- Bard's reciting the prophecy.
BOFA- "The battle will be over by tomorrow's eve, though I doubt we will live to see it."

6- Dwarves, but really for the non-Thorin/Fili/Kili Company dwarves

7- River chase fighting.

8- Like her, think she's a good addition to broadening the story, in and out of the Kili romance

9- Baggins

10- 9.5/10- There's only one scene in all three EEs I could've done without, which is Alfrid's death. I would want to see more Company Dwarves in Erebor stuff during BOFA (like what do all of them think of Thorin going crazy and such) and give them more battle stuff. But other than that, I have no real problems with it. Good writing, good characters, good actors, good effects, good design... I can tell how much I love a movie, not only on how much I watch the movie itself, but also on how much I watch special features, so I love them a lot.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Apr 13 2016, 9:20pm

Post #9 of 18 (1400 views)
Shortcut
I love this! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I See Fire. (The Last Goodbye is close, thanks to Billy's wonderful voice. And I love the Song of the Lonely Mountain's instruments!)
2. Misty Mountains Cold, even though the Heirs of Durin Prophecy is chilling.
3. Thorin and Thranduil.
4. Thranduil's sword.
5. AUJ: Gandalf: True courage is not when to take a life, but when to spare one.
DOS: Bilbo: What have we done? (Gets me to the core everytime.)
BOFA: Bard: Look at me, Bain, look at me.
6. Elves.
7. When he is bouncing on the dwarves' heads, acting like nothing is impossible! :)
8. Love her. Evangeline is a great actress( love her so much in LOST) And I'm a proud lover of her and Kili's love story.
9. Baggins. I don't like being out of my comfort zone.
10. 10. I loved the LOTR's films, and I am happy to have three additional movies to watch to add to the story. Sure, it had its ups and downs, but I found all enjoyable.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 13 2016, 9:34pm

Post #10 of 18 (1396 views)
Shortcut
Well let's try this again [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Favorite ending credits song - "I See Fire"

2. Favorite poem or song (excluding ending credit songs) "Misty Mountains" as sung by Thorin!

3. Best dressed character - Thorin in the blue fur-trimmed coat from AUJ (I know, big surprise, haha)

4. Favorite weapon - Orchrist!

5. Top three quotes (one from each film) hm, tough call!
AUJ - "Cheese knife? He eats it by the block!" - Bofur
DOS - "Aren't you going to search me? I could have anything down my trousers." - Kili
BOFA - "I may be a burglar, but I'd like to think I'm an honest one." - Bilbo

6. Dwarves or Elves (choose one) - Dwarves, duh!

7. Favorite Legolas moment - possibly at Bard's house, when he cut off the Orc's head and it flicked it's tongue at him.

8. Your thoughts on Tauriel - Well I did like her, it was the "triangle" that I didn't care for.

9. Are you a Baggins or a Took? - Well I'm "going on an adventure" to NZ in October, so I'll say Took.

10. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) what would you rate The Hobbit trilogy? Explain your rating. Probably 9 out of 10. I've said before, I thought AUJ was near-perfect, but DOS is probably my favorite of the 3 for opposite reasons. Smaug was an incredible work of cinematography/CGI or whatever they did to create him. I thought including the Dol Goldur subplot improved the storyline a great deal. I had no problems with the inclusion of Legolas or Tauriel, even if I didn't like everything they did. It was well-cast, the costumes were incredible, and then of course there's Thorin (need I say more?)! Yes, BOFA had the most problems, but none of them were enough to ruin the story for me (not even Azog jumping through the ice, which I complained about in another thread), and the EE resolved alot of the problems anyway. The fight choreography was terrific, but so were the quieter, character-driven moments like the "acorn" scene. I have no problem putting it alongside the LoTR trilogy, I think it's just as good and slightly better even, in some areas.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Dwarewien
Rohan

Apr 13 2016, 10:03pm

Post #11 of 18 (1390 views)
Shortcut
Last but not least... [In reply to] Can't Post

here are my final answers (sorry, couldn't resist):

Week 3
1. Favorite ending credits song: I See Fire, since it's practically Thorin's song (and doesn't make me cry as much as Into the West, but that might be more the inspiration behind the song than the song itself)
2. Favorite poem or song (excluding ending credit songs): The song that Bofur sings in Rivendell that was essentially Frodo's song in The Lord of the Rings (even though I'm no book purist, but it was nice to hear Bofur actually sing a song, since Thorin can't be the only dwarf with musical abilities)
3. Best dressed character: I'd have to go with Thorin on this one, since there wasn't one outfit I didn't like (though my favorites would have to be his prologue outfit, and the last outfit he wears in BoFA)
4. Favorite weapon: Tough one, it's a cross between Deathless that Thorin had in the prologue and Sting (though Orcrist is cool too, but hardly my favorite, since I prefer Thorin to wield a dwarvish weapon)
5. Top three quotes (one from each film): I'll do one from three different characters, okay?

AUJ: Gandalf: "And the game of golf was invented at the same time!" which is probably total bogus, but it made me laugh.
DoS: Thorin: "If this is to end in fire, then we shall all burn together!" which was also RA's favorite line. Coincidence? I think not.Wink
BoFA: Thranduil: "Because it was real" which nearly brought me to tears, since it mirrors my own feelings towards my own preferred heir of Durin.

6. Dwarves or Elves (choose one): Dwarves (not much of an Elf fan, sorry)
7. Favorite Legolas moment: Not much of a Legolas fan, but I like the scene in BoFA when he's telling Tauriel about how his mother died and how Thranduil rarely talks about it (probably because it's too painful).
8. Your thoughts on Tauriel: I didn't mind her, since it was good to see another tough female character (other than Eowyn that is)
9. Are you a Baggins or a Took? A Took definitely, because I would jump at the chance to go on an adventure. Dangerous quest? Count me in, since I go stir crazy if I stay home, so I'm nothing like Bilbo.
10. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) what would you rate The Hobbit trilogy? Explain your rating. An 8, since I rarely rate movies I really like as a perfect ten.

Not bad, since the only one I couldn't answer was my favorite original scene in the first challenge, probably because it's been a while since I've seen any of the Hobbit movies (I'm mostly going by memory here).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 13 2016, 10:59pm

Post #12 of 18 (1378 views)
Shortcut
answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The Last Goodbye
2. Blunt the Knives
3. Elrond
4. Glamdring
5. AUJ: "I will help you take it back, if I can."
DOS: "If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together."
BOFA: Thorin's dying speech to Bilbo
6. Elves
7. the "goblin mutant" moment... maybe not the best moment but very funny all the same
8. Unconditionally hated her at first, but have softened a little. There are way too many contradictions in her character, though, and all in all the movies would be better off without her.
9. Baggins
10. 5 or 6. The acting was tremendous, the set and costume design was lovely, but way too much obvious CGI with both characters and locations, and the story should've stayed truer to the book it adapted. Notice it's called adapting a book, not rewriting it. Crazy

This was fun! Thank you for hosting!

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website
My LOTR-inspired fantasy novel is on Amazon

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2016, 11:24pm

Post #13 of 18 (1375 views)
Shortcut
Challenge #3 [In reply to] Can't Post

"Last Good-bye"

"Misty Mountains Cold"

This is tricky but I'll have to go with Thorin. Because #Majestic.

4. Favorite weapon
Orcrist!!

"I will help you take it back if I can." (The whole "home" speech, really. )
"If this is to end in fire, we will all burn together."
"He was my friend."

Well, if it's the Hobbit trilogy, then the Dwarves.

When he stands up for Tauriel against his father.

I like Tauriel's character, but I didn't like the healing scene at all (the way it was executed) and the romance would have been better left as "interested friendship."

A Baggins who enjoys stories about Tooks. Wink

10. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) what would you rate The Hobbit trilogy? Explain your rating.
Well, darn it, I liked it. I thought there were tons of beautifully filmed scenes and touching moments that plumbed the depths of Tolkien's philosophy. No numbers needed. Angelic

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Apr 13 2016, 11:25pm)

Fereth
Rivendell

Apr 14 2016, 12:16am

Post #14 of 18 (1350 views)
Shortcut
*cracks knuckles* [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Favorite ending credits song I See Fire, though I admit I prefer the Kygo remix.
2. Favorite poem or song (excluding ending credit songs) Feast of Starlight.
3. Best dressed character Thranduil, the guy's a Middle Earth fashionista.
4. Favorite weapon The dwarvish twirlie-whirlies! Even though they killed quite a few elves, hey, they were defending their kingdom against an invasion, fair's fair.
AUJ: "Nope!" *thud* Laugh
DOS: Thranduil and Tauriel's entire political exchange. Heart Nice character building, and they complement each other so beautifully.
BOFA: "Farewell, Master Burglar. Go back to your books, and your armchair, plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place." :(

6. Dwarves or Elves (choose one) Elves.
7. Favorite Legolas moment Jumping around on dwarf heads like he does this every day. Showoff.
8. Your thoughts on Tauriel Loved her. She was a beautiful blend of badass warrior and compassionate soul, very well-balanced. I was just fine with the Kili love angle, the chemistry between Lilly and Turner was superb. My only complaint about her was that the writers should have included even more female characters of relevance to the plot.
9. Are you a Baggins or a Took? Baggins. I like sitting around and eating, but sign me up for an adventure any day. (well, not ones involving dragons and loved ones dying)
10. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) what would you rate The Hobbit trilogy? Explain your rating. 8. I think they were highly entertaining with well-rounded and engaging characters, but I did think they got a little too dark in the second and third films without enough lightheartedness to balance it out. (I think we should have seen the Mirkwood feasting, not just hear about it from Tauriel).

Kim
Valinor

Apr 14 2016, 12:38am

Post #15 of 18 (1343 views)
Shortcut
Challenge accepted for the IIIrd time [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a tie - I like all three (although The Last Goodbye makes me cry)

Misty Mountains Cold - I can listen to that for hours (and have)

I'm going to go with Thror. That beard bling is just the icing on the cake of that royal wear.

4. Favorite weapon
Orcrist

"I have never been more wrong in all my life." AUJ
"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" DOS
"Will you follow me, one last time?" BOFA

Dwarves

Erm, I didn't have one (but I still love his sweet float/flip in TTT)

I like her. It was refreshing to see a different kind of female elf, not floaty and ethereal, but more real and down to earth.

Mostly Baggins, with a little bit of Took for adventures

9 - I love AUJ, like DOS and like BOFA, but can't watch the end. But overall, it was just such a great trip back to Middle-earth, especially seeing a more vibrant, slightly younger version than LOTR. The acting was top notch, and it was so great to see the world of dwarves brought to life.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 14 2016, 7:41am

Post #16 of 18 (1320 views)
Shortcut
*Giggles.... challenge accepted! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The Last Goodbye
2. Misty Mountains
3. Thranduil, in his swirly-cloaky-thing, complete with (*sounds of ecstatic mouse cheering*) - leafy crown.
4. You expect me to choose? Er... OK ... the crossbow Bard used to kill Smaug! Evil
5. AUJ: "I am a Baggins [hand gesture] of Bag End!"
DOS: "I saw a fire moon once....." (etc)
BOtFA: "He was my friend"
6. Elves (sorry, dwarves!)
7. The conversation on the rock facing Gundabad
8. If I ever meet an orc, I'd be glad to have her around
9. Book. Or Taggins - but I think on balance probably Book
10. 9.975999999999999999999999999999999999999999 (etc). Three excellent films, produced against the odds with extraordinary skill and dedication by all concerned. Yes, there are things I would have done differently - moments I know they filmed or contemplated that I wish had been included - but now it's done and the dust's settling I'm celebrating three films that I love as they are for what they are - and for the human story behind their making.

Thanks for the challenge!

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Noria
Gondor

Apr 14 2016, 12:49pm

Post #17 of 18 (1299 views)
Shortcut
A difficult challenge, mostly to choose one answer. [In reply to] Can't Post

Week 3
-The Last Goodbye but I also loved the Song of the Lonely Mountain, for the feels.

-The Song of the Lonely Mountain

-Thranduil - the costumes but also the way he wears them.

4. Favorite weapon
-Sting

Too many to choose but:
-AUJ – “Well, all good stories deserve embellishment.“ TH movies in a nutshell.

-DOS: “It is Mereth Nuin Giliath; The Feast of Starlight. All light is sacred to the Eldar, but the Wood Elves love best the light of the stars….It is memory, precious and pure, like your promise….I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light forever fill the air.” Pure Elvishness.

-BOTFA: “I’m not asking you to allow it Gandalf”. Bilbo steps out of Gandalf’s shadow.

-Dwarves – they may be rude, raucous, unruly and bad dinner guests but they do they dishes. Elves are too prissy and full of themselves.

-His awkward (and admittedly awkwardly written) goodbye to Thranduil. So much pain and unexpressed feeling there on both their parts.

-As I’ve said several times lately, she’s everything a warrior Elfwoman should be: fierce, capable, badass, principled, sensitive, spiritual, empathetic. Fortunately running away and falling for a Dwarf kept her from being perfect.

- Baggins.

-Eight, purely because I like LotR (book and movies) more and would rate the first trilogy at nine. I don’t think that any of the books or the six movies is perfect. I just love them more than most any other books and movies.

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

Apr 15 2016, 4:15pm

Post #18 of 18 (1237 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I have to say "The Last Goodbye". It was just so beautiful and emotional.
2. Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold
3. Elrond does a good job of wearing appropriate dinner attire, unlike Gandalf ;)
4. Fili's dual swords
i) "For when I called upon them, they answered. Loyalty. Honor. A willing heart... I can ask no more than that."
ii) "If this is to end in fire, than we will all burn together."
iii) "If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place."
6. Dwarves
7. When he made his brief cameo....oh wait. Probably his first fight with Bolg.
8. Didn't mind having her in the movie, but I hate her love story. It really messed up the potential for a great storyline between Thorin, Fíli and Kíli, and was really annoying and fake.
9. Took
10. 9/10 - Great movies, but because of some of the changes they made (like the love story, too much Alfrid, Smaug in the forges), the aren't perfect.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.