TIME - April 11
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2016, 1:29pm

Post #26 of 35 (938 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn and the Guarding of the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

Do we ever learn what business drew Aragorn away from the Shire? Or does he just disappear from all knowledge until Frodo first meets him in Bree on September 29?

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 1 2016, 10:13pm

Post #27 of 35 (938 views)
Shortcut
Hunting for Gollum? [In reply to] Can't Post

But that was in August, when Gollum escaped from the Elves, so it must have been some other reason.

Maybe he thought he could take a bit of time off and visit Arwen secretly? Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2016, 11:16pm

Post #28 of 35 (942 views)
Shortcut
Gollum Escapes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Gollum escaped from the Wood-elves in June, but Tolkien wrote that Aragorn learned of it through Gildor and his company of Elves before Frodo and his companions left Buckland.

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 1 2016, 11:28pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2016, 2:11am

Post #29 of 35 (947 views)
Shortcut
June? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hm, okay...maybe that was it, then!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 2 2016, 3:10am

Post #30 of 35 (944 views)
Shortcut
Doubtful... [In reply to] Can't Post

My impression is that Aragorn didn't learn of the attack and Gollum's escape until September, maybe August.

'When I returned, many days ago, I heard the ill news. The tidings had gone far and wide that Gandalf was missing and the horsemen had been seen. It was the Elven-folk of Gildor that told me this; and later they told me that you had left your home; but there was no news of your leaving Buckland. I have been watching the East Road anxiously.'

I think that Aragorn's business must have been something else.

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 2 2016, 3:13am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 2 2016, 1:38pm

Post #31 of 35 (927 views)
Shortcut
Elrond summons? [In reply to] Can't Post

He said it was a journey of his own, so maybe he was meeting up with the Dunedain?

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 2 2016, 1:40pm

Post #32 of 35 (922 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 2, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Bilbo finds rest in Rivendell.
(determined from text)
..."When the tale of their journeying was told, there were other tales, and yet more tales, tales of long ago, and tales of new things, and tales of no time at all, till Bilbo's head fell forward on his chest, and he snored comfortably in a corner.
...He woke to find himself in a white bed, and the moon shining through an open window. Below it many elves were singing loud and clear....
..."...Well, Merry People!" said Bilbo looking out. "What time by the moon is this? Your lullaby would waken a drunken goblin! Yet I thank you."
..."And your snores would waken a stone dragon—yet we thank you," they answered with laughter. "It is drawing towards dawn, and you have slept now since the night's beginning. Tomorrow... ...you will be cured of weariness."
...A little sleep does a great cure in the house of Elrond," said he; "but I will take all the cure I can get. A second good night, fair friends!" And with that he went back to bed and slept till late morning."

May 2, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The glad days of Gondor.
(not from the appendices)
..."In the days that followed the King sat on his throne in the Hall of the Kings and pronounced his judgements. And embassies came from many lands and peoples... ...and from the borders of Mirkwood, and from Dunland in the west. And the King pardoned the Easterlings that had given themselves up, and sent them away free, and he made peace with the peoples of Harad; and the slaves of Mordor he released and gave to them all the lands about Lake Núrnen to be their own."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 2 2016, 2:40pm

Post #33 of 35 (933 views)
Shortcut
It is a mystery... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He said it was a journey of his own, so maybe he was meeting up with the Dúnedain?

Well, we can rule out searching for the escaped Gollum, Aragorn didn't learn of that until his return. Likewise, his investigation of Moria must have been years earlier, even before Balin's ill-fated expedition.

Perhaps one of the HOME volumes sheds some light on this?

- Dream of the Endless

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 3 2016, 8:34pm

Post #34 of 35 (891 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 3, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The glad days of Gondor.
(not from the appendices)
..."And there were brought before him many to receive his praise and reward for their valour; and last the captain of the Guard brought to him Beregond to be judged.
...And the King said... '...Beregond, by your sword blood was spilled in the Hallows, where that is forbidden. Also you left your post without leave... ...For these things, of old, death was the penalty. Now therefore I must pronounce your doom.
...'All penalty is remitted for your valour in battle, and still more because all that you did was for the love of the Lord Faramir. Nonetheless you must leave the Guard of the Citadel, and you must go forth from the City....'
......Then the blood left Beregond's face, and he was stricken to the heart and bowed his head. But the King said:
...'So it must be, for you are appointed to the White Company, the Guard of Faramir, Prince of Ithilien, and you shall be its captain and dwell in Emyn Arnen in honour and peace, and in the service of him for whom you risked all, to save him from death.'
...And then Beregond, perceiving the mercy and justice of the King, was glad, and kneeling kissed his hand, and departed in joy and content. And Aragorn gave to Faramir Ithilien to be his princedom... ...in the hills of Emyn Arnen within sight of the City.
...'For,' said he, 'Minas Ithil in Morgul-vale shall be utterly destroyed, and though it may in time to come be made clean, no man may dwell there for many long years.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 3 2016, 8:52pm

Post #35 of 35 (895 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

if Gandalf spoke with him about his suspicions of the Ring Frodo had? That would certainly trigger anticipation by him on his fate or, at least, calling. That's why I was thinking his business may have to do with his own interests (and responsibilities) as Isildur's heir. He certainly knew what was going on when he met up with the Hobbits on the Road to Bree after they left Bombadil.

Now, I was behind the hedge this evening on the Road west of Bree, when four hobbits came out of the Downlands. I need not repeat all that they said to old Bombadil or to one another, but one thing interested me. Please remember, said one of them, that the name of Baggins must not be mentioned. I am Mr. Underhill, if any name must be given. That interested me so much that I followed them here. I slipped over the gate just behind them.

Very curious that he should be there at that precise moment. He, I think, was determining what to do based on previous conversations with Gandalf. Although, Gandalf had no idea they'd go through the Old Forest, hang out with Bombadil, and enter the Road at that point and time. Info given to Strider from beasts and birds?

Yes... p'raps HOME has some clues :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.