The Battle of the five armies
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Omnigeek
Lorien

Apr 10 2016, 6:32pm

Post #26 of 108 (875 views)
Shortcut
The strategic value lay in Smaug's threat [In reply to] Can't Post

In the ROTK Appendices, Gandalf told Merry and Pippin that one of his concerns before the quest was in the threat Smaug posed to Rivendell and Lothlorien. It's not that Sauron wanted to link up forces from Angmar with Smaug, it's that Smaug's threat to Lothlorien and Rivendell would diminish the help they could send to Gondor and Rohan. Even if they had succeeded in fighting Sauron, imagine Aragorn starting a Fourth Age after Smaug had ravaged Imladris and killed Arwen.

Being able to use the orcs of the Misty Mountains to supplement his own forces would have been additional gravy for Sauron. The White Council driving Sauron from Dol Guldur kept Sauron's plans from advancing as fast as they might but really didn't do anything to Smaug's strategic value. If anything, losing a presence at Dol Guldur increased the value of Erebor and Smaug's threat to Imladris and Lothlorien.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 10 2016, 6:39pm

Post #27 of 108 (867 views)
Shortcut
There is that as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

As you say, even from Mordor Sauron could have forged an alliance with the dragon as long as Smaug was still in Erebor. Removing the dragon from the Mountain was crucial to Gandalf's plans to secure the North.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

wizzardly
Rohan

Apr 10 2016, 6:52pm

Post #28 of 108 (866 views)
Shortcut
PJ isn't only about money [In reply to] Can't Post

He's also about over-the-top action, excessive cgi, and cinematic spectacle over meaningful stories. His Hobbit movies were not made by someone who has respect for the book as it was written. It was made by someone who thought it would do as a decent foundation, but it needed his "special" handling to make it perfect. The amount of changes in this adaptation is not only an insult to those who have grown up loving this story as it was written, it also changes the spirit and philosophy of the story to something other than what the author intended.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 10 2016, 7:10pm

Post #29 of 108 (854 views)
Shortcut
Then [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The amount of changes in this adaptation is not only an insult to those who have grown up loving this story as it was written, it also changes the spirit and philosophy of the story to something other than what the author intended.

Why are you here? If you feel so insulted by PJ hobbit trilogy why are then on the hobbit movie forum? Only so you can insult PJ? If you don't like them, then don't watch them. It is not like PJ is forcing you to watch it.

Plus I love the hobbit book ( the best Tolken book, in my opinion), but I am not insulted by the changes, because I know that films and books are different. There are things that works in the book but does not work in films. Are there changes I don't like, yes but I don't feel insulted by it, and I do not insult PJ only because I don't like it.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2016, 7:17pm

Post #30 of 108 (845 views)
Shortcut
As I mentioned [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously, the potential power of Smaug as a weapon was important, but that had nothing to do with the specific location of Erebor. The threat was Sauron getting Smaug to leave the mountain and go cause trouble elsewhere in the North.

Erebor is not particularly close to Angmar. The eastern borders of Angmar are not particularly relevant since that area was depopulated by the Eotheod, and in any event even before the Eotheod's arrival, the main strength of Angmar was to the west of the Misty Mountains. Jackson, by making the orcs of the Misty Mountains apparently subservient to Azog and by extension to Dol Guldur, undermines the whole "strategic position" nonsense even more. Sauron already has a base from which to assault Rivendell or reoccupy Angmar right on the doorstep of those regions, not 200+ miles to the east!

I am aware that Tolkien had Sauron driven from Dol Guldur before the BOFA in the books, as well. That's not relevant to my point because Tolkien never tried to present the Quest of Erebor as being more important than what the White Council was getting up to. Jackson did.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Apr 10 2016, 7:19pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 10 2016, 7:35pm

Post #31 of 108 (828 views)
Shortcut
More on Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Obviously, the potential power of Smaug as a weapon was important, but that had nothing to do with the specific location of Erebor. The threat was Sauron getting Smaug to leave the mountain and go cause trouble elsewhere in the North.

It had to do with Erebor in the sense that that was where Smaug was located. And Gundabad was also associated with Angmar. Erebor could have provided access to Gundabad (and Angmar which Sauron wanted to rebuild) through a route that did not have to pass through the Vales of the Anduin and the folk who lived there. One can't have too many secure strongholds as long as one can support them. Through the Lonely Mountain Sauron would possess a stronghold in the North between the lands of Rhûn and Gundabad. Dol Guldur, by contrast, was ideally located for attacking Lórien the Vales and perhaps Rohan as well as harassing Thranduil's folk.

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 10 2016, 7:36pm)

wizzardly
Rohan

Apr 10 2016, 7:38pm

Post #32 of 108 (831 views)
Shortcut
i'm not insulting PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm criticizing his movies which are loosely based on a book by J.R.R. Tolkien, on a website that is according to the tagline, "Forged by and for fans of JRR Tolkien". I'm a fan of Tolkien, so that's why I'm here.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 10 2016, 7:49pm

Post #33 of 108 (820 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion this

He's also about over-the-top action, excessive cgi, and cinematic spectacle over meaningful stories. His Hobbit movies were not made by someone who has respect for the book as it was written. It was made by someone who thought it would do as a decent foundation, but it needed his "special" handling to make it perfect. The amount of changes in this adaptation is not only an insult to those who have grown up loving this story as it was written, it also changes the spirit and philosophy of the story to something other than what the author intended.

feels more like you are insulting him then criticizing him, especially the bit where you are claiming that he has no respect for the book witch is not true.

In Reply To
I'm a fan of Tolkien, so that's why I'm here.

Then way only on the hobbit movie forum and not reading room, main forum? The majority of your post is just about how much you hate the hobbit trilogy.

In Reply To
on a website that is according to the tagline, "Forged by and for fans of JRR Tolkien"

Well this website would not exist if it wasn't for PJ.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2016, 8:04pm

Post #34 of 108 (805 views)
Shortcut
What folk in the Vales of Anduin? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Beornings? In the movie-verse, they don't exist anymore? The Wood-men? We see and hear zero evidence of them. And even if they did, Sauron controls the mountains, so he could send raiding parties down to harass and potentially drive away any remnants in the Vales. There's nothing suggesting that Dol Guldur and Gundabad are separated by any opponents in the movies, and quite a bit to suggest they are not (including Azog and co's open movements in the Vales).

On the contrary, to get from Erebor to Gundabad, you have to pass dangerously close to Thranduil's realm. Plus the effort involved to move soldiers and supplies from DG to Erebor and then from there to Gundabad would be vastly greater (and involve longer distances) then the effort it would take to sweep away whatever token resistance is left in the Vales (which appears to be limited to Beorn himself in the movie-verse).

Moreover, Sauron already controls Gundabad in the movie and is able to send orders (and presumably messengers) back and forth from there, so the idea that he hasn't already secured supply lines to and from it strikes me as very shaky.

As for Erebor being important because that's where Smaug was ... that doesn't give the Mountain itself a strategic position.

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Apr 10 2016, 8:08pm)

wizzardly
Rohan

Apr 10 2016, 8:21pm

Post #35 of 108 (795 views)
Shortcut
again [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm only pointing out that for whatever reasons, pj has decided to stray wildly away from what was written, and I see that as disrespectful to the author. I don't insult PJ on a personal level. The truth is I think he is a great movie maker, but his decisions on these movies were difficult to accept.

As far as why do I only post about the Hobbit movies? Why not? I might post elsewhere on other topics.

But you might be correct about the website, it was originally created to discuss PJ's movies...so maybe the tagline should instead read "Forged by and for fans of Peter Jackson's adaptations of stories by J.R.R. Tolkien".

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2016, 8:22pm

Post #36 of 108 (785 views)
Shortcut
I made a map [In reply to] Can't Post

The original image was big so I'm gonna just link to it:

http://i.imgur.com/9K1ySXu.jpg

Some things to keep in mind about the military situation during The Hobbit film trilogy:

1. Sauron's main enemies here are Rivendell and Lórien. They're the stronger realms, have more important and powerful rulers, and are involved with the White Council. Thranduil's realm, without even getting into a Silvan vs Eldar comparison, was isolationist and not an active threat to Sauron.

2. Sauron already has Rivendell and Lórien outflanked due to his control of the orcs of the Misty Mountains, as commanded by Azog and Bolg.

3. The Lonely Mountain is not only hundreds of miles east of Sauron's main enemies, it is located between an elf realm and a dwarf realm who are both currently isolationist and also incredibly pissed at each other. Sauron has every reason to want to keep them that way instead of adding them to his list of enemies while he's still preoccupied with Rivendell and Lórien.

4. The most significant military characteristic of Erebor is Smaug, who is inherently mobile and could be used to wreak havoc on Sauron's enemies to the west without fighting any battles in the east. It's not like anyone is in a position to stop Smaug from leaving the Mountain, or from returning to it after helping out in the west, especially not if Sauron is victorious in the Vales of Anduin.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 10 2016, 8:25pm

Post #37 of 108 (786 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Beornings? In the movie-verse, they don't exist anymore? The Wood-men? We see and hear zero evidence of them. And even if they did, Sauron controls the mountains, so he could send raiding parties down to harass and potentially drive away any remnants in the Vales. There's nothing suggesting that Dol Guldur and Gundabad are separated by any opponents in the movies, and quite a bit to suggest they are not (including Azog and co's open movements in the Vales).

On the contrary, to get from Erebor to Gundabad, you have to pass dangerously close to Thranduil's realm. Plus the effort involved to move soldiers and supplies from DG to Erebor and then from there to Gundabad would be vastly greater (and involve longer distances) then the effort it would take to sweep away whatever token resistance is left in the Vales (which appears to be limited to Beorn himself in the movie-verse).

Moreover, Sauron already controls Gundabad in the movie and is able to send orders (and presumably messengers) back and forth from there, so the idea that he hasn't already secured supply lines to and from it strikes me as very shaky.

As for Erebor being important because that's where Smaug was ... that doesn't give the Mountain itself a strategic position.

If Thorin and company take back Erebor and Bard rebuild Dale more people would come to live there, that is why the mountain is important. Sauron had the mountain when Smaug lived there but when he heard the news that Thorin and company was going and take back the mountain, he sent out Azog to kill them but it did not work so he sent his army to the mountain to protect it from the dwarves. Then Smaug is dead, the dwarves have taken the mountain and if more dwarves would come it would be a threat against Sauron so it is important to take it back.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2016, 8:29pm

Post #38 of 108 (779 views)
Shortcut
Not how things played out in the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin was already being hunted before he'd even thought about the idea of going on the Quest. He was also mustering an army and sent it towards Erebor before Smaug died, when he had no reason to think Smaug would be killed. There was no reason for anyone to expect that Thorin and Co. would be successful in their quest (and in fact, no character who opines on this topic in the films does think they will).

I'm also skeptical of the idea that Sauron knew what the Dwarves were doing. Azog is hunting Thorin due to a personal vendetta against him, but Sauron pulls Azog off this distraction early in DOS because he wants him for more important things. Because Sauron was apparently already planning his attack on Erebor while Smaug was still alive and secure there, for some reason, even though it was held by a (potential? maybe even actual) ally and Sauron had two of his most significant enemies in much closer striking range.

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Apr 10 2016, 8:30pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 10 2016, 8:45pm

Post #39 of 108 (770 views)
Shortcut
The Men of the Vales [In reply to] Can't Post

Who sez the Beornings don't exist? They were never Beorn's original kin. They were Men who adopted him as their chieftain in the years following the Battle of Five Armies. There is nothing preventing them from doing this in the film-universe. And just because we don't encounter any Woodmen in the films doesn't mean that they are not there. Thorin and Company never met any of them in the book either. Other Men of the Anduin Vales were of the same Éothéod stock as the Rohirrim. WE know that Woodmen inhabited the region because Gandalf referenced them at the White Council ("The Woodmen say...").

In Reply To
On the contrary, to get from Erebor to Gundabad, you have to pass dangerously close to Thranduil's realm.

Yes, Thranduil the isolationist. And that assumes that there are no passes that allow troops to cross to the northern side of the mountains and then to Gundabad.

In Reply To
Plus the effort involved to move soldiers and supplies from DG to Erebor and then from there to Gundabad would be vastly greater (and involve longer distances) then the effort it would take to sweep away whatever token resistance is left in the Vales (which appears to be limited to Beorn himself in the movie-verse).

Then don't . Import soldiers and supplies from Rhûn and Mordor instead. Again, just because we only meet Beorn does not mean that he is anything close to the only Man in the region. We only ever see one, miniscule portion of the Vales.

In Reply To

Supply lines can always be strengthened, but whatever support Gundabad had did not seem to be having an impact upon Lake-town, the Woodland Realm, the Iron Hills or Beorn.

In Reply To

No, it doesn't; that is why I gave other reasons. Strategically, though, a Dwarf-occupied Erebor is more important to the Free Peoples of the North than to Sauron. It is still to his advantage to deny it to them.

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 10 2016, 8:50pm)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 10 2016, 8:47pm

Post #40 of 108 (768 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin was already being hunted before he'd even thought about the idea of going on the Quest.

He maybe was hunted before the quest but he was more hunted during the quest. Plus you have Gandalf's line

The dwarves was never meant to reach Erebor. Azog the Defiler was scent to kill them

witch means that Azog was doing it on Sauron order now.

In Reply To
He was also mustering an army and sent it towards Erebor before Smaug died, when he had no reason to think Smaug would be killed.

Because the dwarves was on there why so Sauron is sending his army to Erebor to help Smaug defend Erebor.

In Reply To
There was no reason for anyone to expect that Thorin and Co. would be successful in their quest (and in fact, no character who opines on this topic in the films does think they will).

Well you can never be to careful, safer to have a dragon and an army then just the dragon.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2016, 8:50pm

Post #41 of 108 (763 views)
Shortcut
Response [In reply to] Can't Post

Again, Azog and co. are able to openly ride up and down the Vales of Anduin without challenge, and Sauron is able to communicate with Gundabad without interruption. If there are any men in the Vales of Anduin, they clearly aren't able to hinder Sauron.

Thranduil the isolationist ... who aggressively guards his realm against encroachment. Why put your supply lines at risk of retaliation should some of your soldiers stray a little too far into the woods?

Why would Sauron import troops from Rhun or Mordor? Gundabad appears to be "manned" by orcs from the Misty Mountains, who are apparently sufficient to give Sauron far and away the largest army in the region. And even if Sauron were to import men from Rhun, he could have them pass across the plains of Rhovanion, through the Narrows of the forest, and then into the Vales without having to fight any unnecessary wars while building his strength to confront his main enemies.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2016, 8:52pm

Post #42 of 108 (756 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me [In reply to] Can't Post

How would Gandalf know that Azog/Sauron are aware of the quest, when the quest was his idea and kept under wraps. Also doesn't explain why Sauron pulled Azog away from the pursuit in DOS. Sounds like Gandalf is guessing to me.

And sending a huge army to help "defend" Erebor against 14 dudes is such a massive mismanagement of resources that it's hard to imagine Sauron being Lord of anything if he makes uses his forces so inefficiently.

EDIT: look, to be clear, there are plot reasons for all these things to happen, my argument is simply that the plot doesn't make sense given what the movies establish about their setting.

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Apr 10 2016, 8:54pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 10 2016, 9:01pm

Post #43 of 108 (749 views)
Shortcut
Map of Wilderland [In reply to] Can't Post

Your map is a bit deceptive. Sauron does not have direct control of the Orcs of the Misty Mountains either in Goblin Town or Moria--at least not yet at the time of the Quest of Erebor. And the strength of the Lonely Mountain is in defense of the North if Smaug is removed and friendly relations can be re-established between the folk of the region. It is more important to Sauron to deny it to Durin's Folk than to have it for himself--not that it can't be useful.

Sauron is unlikely to be able to make use of Smaug unless he can also secure Smaug's lair. Otherwise the dragon might not be willing to leave his treasure unguarded for any length of time. He would at least need to keep a garrison at Erebor for that purpose (and woe to any Orcs who attempt to steal from Smaug).

- Dream of the Endless

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2016, 9:15pm

Post #44 of 108 (741 views)
Shortcut
Speculation based on the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

...we see the same kind of goblins both Goblin-town and in Sauron's army at the Battle of the Five Armies (while not seeing them in Dol Guldur or elsewhere), so I believe it is a very grounded bit of speculation. Also note the Great Goblin's willingness to work with Azog, though this alone is inconclusive. I will acknowledge that the Moria part is based on shakier evidence, but given PJ changing the alliance of at least one (I'd argue two) of the three known goblin strongholds in the Misty Mountains as well as making Smaug apparently already in league with Sauron (he's aware of the "precious" and brags that "the darkness is coming, it will spread to every corner of the land" in his conversation with Bilbo), I think it's in line with the other changes.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 10 2016, 9:20pm

Post #45 of 108 (741 views)
Shortcut
The Vales of the Anduin [In reply to] Can't Post

There is still a lot of open land in the Vales and even Tolkien indicates that they are sparsely populated. Easy enough for Orcish wolfriders to make their way about. If any locals hear the Wargs howling their response is probably to run inside and bolt the doors.

As for the Woodland Realm, don't enter the woods. Tolkien also wrote that much of the Grey Mountains was riddled with tunnels. Even so, there is plenty of room between the range and the Forest.

If Gundabad is already sufficiently manned with Orcs from the mountains (Grey and/or Misty) then why did you bring up importing troops at all? You brought up that issue first; I only expanded on it. The Orcs should be able to obtain iron and other needed ores from the Grey Mountains (possibly with the help of slave-labor). And, if large numbers of soldiers were passing through the Vales from the south then both Radagast and Beorn would have certainly been aware of it. Therefore, that was not happening.

- Dream of the Endless

Omnigeek
Lorien

Apr 10 2016, 9:27pm

Post #46 of 108 (733 views)
Shortcut
Plenty of strategic reasons in both books and movies [In reply to] Can't Post

From a strategic standpoint, simply having Smaug in Erebor effectively neutralized and isolated Lothlorien and Imladris from the struggle in the East. Even without controlling or coordinating with Smaug, his ability to roam and devastate the areas around Erebor had huge strategic value for Sauron. The same principle (albeit not with the power to devastate) held for the Misty Mountain orcs. That holds true in both the book and the movies, with or without Beornings near the Misty Mountains, with or without an anachronistic Azog pursuing the descendants of Thror. PJ's making Beorn the last of his kind rather than the chieftain of them doesn't affect that situation either.

Gandalf knew he would want the assistance and power of both Lothlorien and Imladris in the coming war against The Enemy so he was interested in getting rid of Smaug and reinstating the Dwarves in Erebor. It doesn't mean he used the dwarves callously (they were using him as well). If he's planning that far ahead, he has to think The Enemy is doing so as well and might be taking steps to keep Gandalf from getting rid of Smaug. He doesn't need confirmation of that to plan.

The whole thing with Azog made no sense anyway so I'm not going to bother trying to rationalize Azog being called away from his hunt other than to say Sauron probably didn't much care about a displaced Dwarven prince or his 12 companions. At a strategic level, he had a lot bigger fish to fry.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 10 2016, 9:30pm

Post #47 of 108 (732 views)
Shortcut
Goblin Mercenaries [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
..we see the same kind of goblins both Goblin-town and in Sauron's army at the Battle of the Five Armies (while not seeing them in Dol Guldur or elsewhere), so I believe it is a very grounded bit of speculation.

Yes, they are described as goblin mercenaries, implying that Sauron has not established a firm control over them yet. Actually it might have been a good idea to have Azog (or Bolg) step in and seize control of the goblins of Goblin Town following the death of their leader. Ah well, a wasted opportunity.

I agree that Smaug has either already been in contact with a servant of Sauron or is supernaturally prescient of other events taking place in the region. Some special sense seems to alert him to the presence and power of the Ring even if he doesn't quite know exactly what Bilbo possesses.

- Dream of the Endless

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 10 2016, 9:43pm

Post #48 of 108 (724 views)
Shortcut
Capturing Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Plenty of strategic reasons in both books and movies

Yes, but Eldorion is correct that some of those reasons ring a bit hollow in light of Sauron's control of both Dol Guldur and Gundabad. At the same time, there are others that I don't think he gave sufficient weight to, including the ones you point out. Denying a resource to your enemy can be more valuable than having it for yourself, especially if it is under the control of an ally.

- Dream of the Endless

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2016, 9:48pm

Post #49 of 108 (717 views)
Shortcut
Mercenaries [In reply to] Can't Post

Fair point RE: that word choice, so I will admit that "control" was an overstep on my part, but it still puts them in Sauron's column in terms of military assets so I think the basic point of the map still stands.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2016, 9:51pm

Post #50 of 108 (712 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I still don't see how Sauron could have known in advance that he'd need an army to try to keep Erebor out of the hands of his enemies. I agree with Omnigeek that Sauron didn't care about Thorin and Company (if he even knew about the nature of the quest at all), and even if he had, there was no reason to think they wouldn't all be burnt to a crisp by Smaug the second they set foot inside the mountain (Sauron didn't know about the secret entrance as far as I can recall). I see no reason for Sauron to have sent an army towards Erebor while Smaug was still alive, yet that's what he did at the end of DOS.

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Apr 10 2016, 9:52pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.