Who is the most "Dwarvish" Dwarf?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 5 2016, 7:54pm

Post #1 of 98 (4626 views)
Shortcut
Who is the most "Dwarvish" Dwarf? Can't Post

I know I'm stirring up a hornet's nest with this question, but hey, it's a slow afternoon at work, hehe! So, which Dwarf from the Hobbit movies is the most "Dwarvish?" And what does that even mean? I know that by Tolkien's definition, Dwarves are shorter, stockier and stronger than regular men. And the Longbeards, by definition, should have long beards, so I understand SOME of the complaining about "Dwarves not looking like Dwarves," (particularly Kili) but not a lot of it. But are there some other features that Dwarves are supposed to have, like big ears and noses? Anyway, here are a few possibilities. First, our original Dwarf, Gimli:

I submit that another "Dwarvish" characteristic is fighting with an axe, in which case I think our Company definitely qualifies. We also have Dwalin and Balin:

I don't think you can look more Dwarvish than Balin, but Dwalin also has the big nose and ears, complete with ornate (and very macho) ear jewelry. Plus he fights with two axes, and his beard is longer than Thorin's! But honestly I think most of them look "Dwarvish," even the ones with weird hair and axes in their skulls:

Obviously Gloin looks very Dwarvish, but I think Bifur does too. And even Ori, with his big forehead and nose, looks Dwarvish to me. Yeah, his beard is small, but he's a young Dwarf, possibly younger than Kili (though I think he's actually between Kili and Fili in age). Speaking of Fili, Dainpig said this pic of his looks pretty Dwarvish as well:

Yep, he may be right - definitely got the big nose, but also the fierce, fighting gaze. Probably the most "Dwarvish" of the "hot Dwarves," but what does anyone else think? Which Dwarf in the Company looks the most "Dwarvish?"

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 5 2016, 8:26pm

Post #2 of 98 (4393 views)
Shortcut
Dwarvish [In reply to] Can't Post

If we are using Gimli as our yardstick then, for me, it is something of a tie between Balin and Glóin. Dwalin gets left behind because of his baldness (although I suppose he could be shaving his pate).

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 5 2016, 8:38pm

Post #3 of 98 (4385 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin's baldness [In reply to] Can't Post

Well there's no reason to assume Dwarves never get bald on top as they get older, at least IMO. But see, this is what I've said before, Gimli is the archetype dwarf because he was pretty much the ONLY Dwarf in the LoTR trilogy. Yeah, there was a minute of other Dwarves in the prologue and a few went with him to the council, but that was it. It's not IMO a fair comparison, but it's what tends to happen. But I agree with you, Balin to me certainly meets the criteria of "Dwarvish," and may be the most Dwarvish-looking member of the Company. But you've gotta admit, Dwalin certainly has the Dwarvish "fierce fighter" down pat!

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on Apr 5 2016, 8:39pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 5 2016, 9:11pm

Post #4 of 98 (4374 views)
Shortcut
Dwarven Baldness [In reply to] Can't Post

Strangely enough, I think that Tolkien addressed this issue to write that Dwarves were not prone toward baldness. Now, whether I can find a reference to that is another question!

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2016, 10:23pm

Post #5 of 98 (4364 views)
Shortcut
Balin, without a doubt. [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin is pretty much the absolute perfect depiction of a dwarf, imo. Even just seeing that original picture of him was like seeing an image plucked out of Tolkien's novel. He's so perfect that I even picture and hear Ken Stott when reading the book now (which is not the case for the other dwarves).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Apr 5 2016, 10:23pm)

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 5 2016, 10:37pm

Post #6 of 98 (4349 views)
Shortcut
For me, Gloin [In reply to] Can't Post

Oin and Dori are also very Dwarvish.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website
My LOTR-inspired fantasy novel is on Amazon

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 5 2016, 11:05pm

Post #7 of 98 (4343 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say Gloin, Oin, and Balin. Dwalin and Nori are also rather dwarvish. As for Fili, he is the most dwarvish looking of the three "hot dwarves." Also, IMO, he looks as young dwarf should.

I believe it's in the AUJ commentaries that PJ said designing young dwarves was harder than they anticipated because the more prosthetics, padding, and facial hair they added the older Fili and Kili appeared. I guess this makes senses, because, IMO, most men look older with facial hair and the more facial hair the older they appear. Seeing as Thorin who for a dwarf does not have much facial hair (though I love his design), it seems logical, to me, that Fili and Kili would have lesser beards in order to appear younger than their uncle.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2016, 1:29am

Post #8 of 98 (4325 views)
Shortcut
Thror [In reply to] Can't Post

Come on now...beard, hair, crown...he's 100% Durin too! Sly

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

DainPig
Gondor

Apr 6 2016, 2:00am

Post #9 of 98 (4310 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I forgot Thrór.... [In reply to] Can't Post

He is really amazing!

But the most dwarvish member of the company is Gloin.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 6 2016, 2:24am

Post #10 of 98 (4302 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes,Thror is a definite... [In reply to] Can't Post

so is Dain, forgot him too. Laugh And there is also that one dwarf from the Iron Hills army yelling the commands. Can't really see his face, but I have a feeling he's rather dwarvish too.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 6 2016, 3:04am

Post #11 of 98 (4292 views)
Shortcut
Well yeah, there's Thror [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't even think about him.

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Apr 6 2016, 6:00am

Post #12 of 98 (4280 views)
Shortcut
Gloin most of all [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if I'd say that axes are a defining trait for Dwarves, though. Sure, Gimli has an axe and they have the Axes of the Dwarves catch phrase, but in the Hobbit novel Thorin of course has a sword, and I don't recall any of the other Company Dwarves wielding axes.

It does seem like the axe has become kind of a stereotype for Dwarves, though, along with having Scottish accents.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 6 2016, 11:57am

Post #13 of 98 (4262 views)
Shortcut
To me, the "human" looking dwarves are the most dwarvish [In reply to] Can't Post

Except for the lack of long beards, Thorin, Fili, Kili, and Bofur are the way I pictured the dwarves when reading the books - not "handsome" necessarily, but normal looking, without the odd giant noses. I haven't read any of the other Middle-earth type fantasy books or played the video games, etc. and before the movies came out the only movie dwarves I can remember seeing were the animated ones in Disney's Snow White which are just cartoons, so I had no pre-conceived non-Tolkien pictures in my mind of what a Tolkien dwarf "should" look like. Short, stocky and bearded - that's pretty much all Tolkien gives us, so that's always been my mental image. The variety of design in the movies was a pleasant surprise, though, and really helped give each dwarf a distinct personality. As far as characters go, I love them all.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 6 2016, 2:36pm

Post #14 of 98 (4241 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin has two axes [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin carries an axe in AUJ, and Fili has boot axes that he sadly never gets to use. I think Bofur uses a hammer, and Ori has some kind of weird bladed thing in BOT5A. I think the idea is to somewhat differentiate the Dwarves from men and Elves, who use swords and bows mostly. Of course, this all comes from the movie, as the book spent hardly any time on any of the Dwarves, and it's possible that Thorin and Gloin were the only ones armed, but that's another subject. Scottish accents, LOL! Gotta love those!Wink

Omnigeek
Lorien

Apr 9 2016, 6:54pm

Post #15 of 98 (4109 views)
Shortcut
Balin of course [In reply to] Can't Post

Of the dwarves in The Hobbit movies, Balin and Gloin look the closest to Tolkien's descriptions. Oin and Bifur are pretty close. I like Graham McTavish carried himself as Dwalin but the bald pate wasn't very dwarvish IMO. Like Otaku, I can't find a quote to back that up at the moment and I'm not going to take the time but it irked me mildly every time I saw him. I didn't much care for Dori's or Nori's looks either. As far as Bofur, Bombur, Ori, Thorin, Fili, and most especially Kili go the quote below suffices.

"No Elf or Man has ever seen a beardless Dwarf"

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 9 2016, 7:05pm

Post #16 of 98 (4107 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as Bofur, Bombur, Ori, Thorin, Fili, and most especially Kili go the quote below suffices.

Bofur, Ori, Thorin, Fili and Bombur do have a beard.

wizzardly
Rohan

Apr 9 2016, 10:00pm

Post #17 of 98 (4097 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

They had facial hair...not proper beards. Overgrown mustaches, goatees and 5 o'clock shadows are not beards.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Apr 9 2016, 10:06pm

Post #18 of 98 (4094 views)
Shortcut
Kinda hard to use a bow with a full beard, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 9 2016, 10:09pm

Post #19 of 98 (4092 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They had facial hair...not proper beards. Overgrown mustaches, goatees and 5 o'clock shadows are not beards.

They do have beards, maybe not as much as Balin or Gloin but at least Thorin and Ori do have beards. My dad have a beard just as long as Thorins is, so yes it is a beard. And Bomburs overgrown mustache is almost like a beard so I think it counts. And a goatee for me is a beard.

wizzardly
Rohan

Apr 9 2016, 10:13pm

Post #20 of 98 (4088 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that was pj's rationale too. As long as they have something on their faces, that'll be good enough.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 9 2016, 10:18pm

Post #21 of 98 (4084 views)
Shortcut
And to be honest [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think that was pj's rationale too. As long as they have something on their faces, that'll be good enough.

Tolken never said how long all the dwarves beards was ( except for Dwalin) so some could have longer and some had shorter beards.

wizzardly
Rohan

Apr 9 2016, 10:25pm

Post #22 of 98 (4081 views)
Shortcut
He kinda did though [In reply to] Can't Post

"Don't dip your beard in the foam, father!" They cried to Thorin. "It is long enough without watering it!"

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 9 2016, 10:34pm

Post #23 of 98 (4076 views)
Shortcut
Alright [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Don't dip your beard in the foam, father!" They cried to Thorin. "It is long enough without watering it!"

You are right about that Thorin does have a long beard in the book ( I always skip that song, so I didn't remember that part), but Tolken never said anything about how long the other dwarves beards was ( except for Dwalin).

wizzardly
Rohan

Apr 9 2016, 10:39pm

Post #24 of 98 (4072 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Durin's folk were also known as "The Longbeards".

Omnigeek
Lorien

Apr 10 2016, 12:41am

Post #25 of 98 (4046 views)
Shortcut
Beards [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As far as Bofur, Bombur, Ori, Thorin, Fili, and most especially Kili go the quote below suffices.

Bofur, Ori, Thorin, Fili and Bombur do have a beard.

Those weren't proper Dwarven beards, especially not in a clan known as the Longbeards. Facial growth, yes. Beards? Those were beards in about the same vein that a 1974 Mustang II was a sportscar.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.