Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Alternate Hobbit Casting Game (for fun!)

StrangeOldHermit
The Shire

Apr 9 2016, 1:15pm

Post #1 of 8 (855 views)
Shortcut
Alternate Hobbit Casting Game (for fun!) Can't Post

I thought this might be a fun game to play. I compiled this list as an experiment-I’ve always thought that Peter Jackson and his team possess a rare talent when it comes to casting the right actors for the job, and some of them in my eyes are completely irreplaceable (McKellen was born to play Gandalf, if you ask me). That’s partly why I decided to do this!

The rule of the game (for anyone else who wants to play): You are not allowed to cast anybody who has been in either LotR or The Hobbit films-only original actors, so to speak.

So, here’s my attempt:

Bilbo Baggins-James McAvoy. McAvoy has a wonderful range as an actor, and in particular as Mr Tumnus in Narnia he was very innocent and hobbit-like (Even if he was actually a faun, haha!). He has the charm and vulnerability to pull off this character well, in my opinion.

Gandalf the Grey-John Hurt. Aside from being one of the greatest actors of his generation, Sir John has shown a particular talent for playing sagely characters in the last few years. He has a wonderfully gravelly voice that would capture not only the wisdom, but also the gruffness and world-weariness of Gandalf. Plus he looks very wizardly when he grows his beard out!

Thorin Oakenshield-Ian McShane. McShane could happily portray Thorin’s toughness and stubborn nature. He has a very commanding presence on screen and is wonderful at playing warrior/leader characters.

Balin-James Cosmo. Not only does Cosmo have the broad shoulders and beard of a dwarf, he plays both father figure and tough guy/leader to perfection.

King Thranduil-David Tennant. There is a certain elf-like quality to Tennant (I think) and he could play both the gracefulness and arrogance of the Elven-King to perfection.

Beorn-Ciaran Hinds. Like Persbrandt, Hinds has the strength and the silent ferocity needed to portray Beorn. He pulls off a beard well as seen in Harry Potter.

Elrond-Leonard Nimoy. Though sadly he is no longer with us, Nimoy was alive when the first Hobbit movie came out and probably would have been able to do it (and, going by the books at least, he wouldn’t have had much beyond a couple of short scenes in the first film). He would have been able to portray Elrond’s deep wisdom and kindly qualities very well, I feel.

Smaug (voice)-Jeremy Irons. Whilst I still associate him with Scar very heavily, this guy’s voice could varnish wood. Irons’ deep tones could very effectively bring the cunning, wrathful old worm to life!

Dain-Brian Blessed. Simply put, this guy is 100% dwarf. The booming voice, powerful presence, broad stature and of course his magnificent beard make him perfect for the role of Dain. He can be both ferocious and fatherly in just the right amounts, and is actually capable of delivering a very subtle performance, despite his reputation as a loud eccentric.

Master of Lake-Town-John Cleese. Since Peter took this character in a comedic direction, I think Cleese could have been a good stand-in if Fry wasn’t available. He could very easily play an upper-class, selfish miser effectively.

Not sure about Bard, Fili, Kili or Gollum (particularly Gollum since that role is immensely difficult to cast).
Anyone else have any ideas? I would love to hear your suggestions!

Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 9 2016, 1:57pm

Post #2 of 8 (835 views)
Shortcut
Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps Michael Fassbender or James Purefoy for Bard. I remember that Fassbender was much-favored by many for the part.

Maybe not Leonard Nimoy for Lord Elrond; Elrond should have a somewhat ageless quality that Nimoy in his later years could not have physically pulled off. Hugo Weaving worked very well especially carrying over from the LotR films.

I especially like your casting of Ian McShane for Thorin. He could have simultaneously pulled-off the Dwarf-lord's age, gruffness and his strength--not an easy thing to do.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 9 2016, 1:58pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Apr 10 2016, 2:34pm

Post #3 of 8 (761 views)
Shortcut
My alternate cast: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Bilbo Baggins-James McAvoy. McAvoy has a wonderful range as an actor, and in particular as Mr Tumnus in Narnia he was very innocent and hobbit-like (Even if he was actually a faun, haha!). He has the charm and vulnerability to pull off this character well, in my opinion.

Gandalf the Grey-John Hurt. Aside from being one of the greatest actors of his generation, Sir John has shown a particular talent for playing sagely characters in the last few years. He has a wonderfully gravelly voice that would capture not only the wisdom, but also the gruffness and world-weariness of Gandalf. Plus he looks very wizardly when he grows his beard out!

Thorin Oakenshield-Ian McShane. McShane could happily portray Thorin’s toughness and stubborn nature. He has a very commanding presence on screen and is wonderful at playing warrior/leader characters.

Dain-Brian Blessed. Simply put, this guy is 100% dwarf. The booming voice, powerful presence, broad stature and of course his magnificent beard make him perfect for the role of Dain. He can be both ferocious and fatherly in just the right amounts, and is actually capable of delivering a very subtle performance, despite his reputation as a loud eccentric.

Agreed on all those (especially McShane)

Bard The Bowman-Paul McGann or Guy Pearce

Thranduil-James Purefoy

Elrond-David Bowie

Saruman-Frank Langella

Tauriel-Emily Blunt maybe?

Master of Laketown-Patrick Stewart (I always thought he'd be great as Denethor as well...)

Bill Nighy-Radagast

Bilbo-Colm Meaney or Colin Farrell

Eva Green-Galadriel

Bilbo-Kevin McNally

Gollum...Nicholas Cage Crazy

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Apr 10 2016, 5:37pm

Post #4 of 8 (750 views)
Shortcut
A very interesting post, about who else could have played characters in The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I might suggest Tom Hardy as Bard and Steve Buscemi as Gollum. Have you taken a look at my Silmarillion casting threads?

I always follow my job through.

StrangeOldHermit
The Shire

Apr 10 2016, 5:50pm

Post #5 of 8 (744 views)
Shortcut
Interesting list [In reply to] Can't Post

And I agree-Patrick Stewart would be a *perfect* Denethor.

Interesting choice for Bill Nighy as Radagast-I could see him doing well in that role. Having thought about, I also would say that Jim Broadbent would be brilliant as Radagast.

(This post was edited by StrangeOldHermit on Apr 10 2016, 5:51pm)

StrangeOldHermit
The Shire

Apr 10 2016, 5:57pm

Post #6 of 8 (739 views)
Shortcut
I have now-and I like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Particularly the ideas of Adam Driver as Sauron and Hiddleston as Fingolfin.

StrangeOldHermit
The Shire

Apr 10 2016, 5:59pm

Post #7 of 8 (736 views)
Shortcut
Fassbender as Bard is a good one [In reply to] Can't Post

On the subject of McShane: though I think Thorin is the best choice for him, I think there are several Middle-earth characters he could shine as, including Dain, Denethor or possibly even Theoden-though I wouldn't want to recast Bernard Hill for the world.

(This post was edited by StrangeOldHermit on Apr 10 2016, 6:00pm)

glor
Rohan

Apr 13 2016, 1:43am

Post #8 of 8 (641 views)
Shortcut
My options [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo Baggins: a British actor with naturally curly hair, with a great range, natural warmth, charm and capable of combining humour with pathos. I am prefacing my choice for a reason as he is now extremely well known in his current role, which demonstrates few of these qualities but does prove his range....

... Andrew Lincoln.

Thorin Oakenshield: my original imaginary casting, Antony Sher. The irony being that a member of Mr Sher's famous RSC touring company actually got the part.

Thranduil, saw Benedict Cumberpatch in that roles ever since I saw him in BBC period drama about an 18th century passage to Australia about 12 years ago before the hysteria kicked in. He has an elf like quality to him.

Smaug, should have been voiced by Peter O'Toole, ever since I first read The Hobbit 40 years ago, Smaug has always sounded like Peter O'Toole

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.