The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Battle of the five armies
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 15 2016, 8:58pm

Post #101 of 108 (529 views)
Shortcut
Priscilla T. doesn't think Jackson's Ringwraiths are scary. [In reply to] Can't Post

She spoke at the Tolkien 2005 conference in Birmingham. She said she preferred not to talk about the films, but the comment in my subject line was reported here by Modtheow, who was in attendance.

I don't recall any comment on the films from John T.

Cheer to you, too!

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 15 2016, 9:00pm

Post #102 of 108 (529 views)
Shortcut
Heh. When I said "you", I didn't mean . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

you!

But I'll do some digging.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 15 2016, 9:07pm

Post #103 of 108 (525 views)
Shortcut
Well that's funny [In reply to] Can't Post

Because they kinda seem like something outa "Scary Movie".

Wink

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 15 2016, 9:36pm

Post #104 of 108 (521 views)
Shortcut
That's my point. [In reply to] Can't Post

You must be able to think of some other book that was badly filmed. Name it, and I can find you someone else who thinks that adaptation matched or improved on its source.

And if you can think of a book that was well-filmed, I can find somebody who thinks it was butchered. How well a book is filmed is a matter of pure opinion that varies from one person to the next.

I said that it would be difficult or impossible to prove whether the world was better or worse off for The Lord of the Rings movies having been made. Obviously you agree with me.

As for Christopher and Simon Tolkien, it is not at all clear why they became estranged. Here is an article from 2012 in the Daily Mail:

The 53-year-old author of The Stepmother and the Inspector Trave trilogy said 'nothing could prepare' his family for the release of the films, which he said was like being 'hit by a juggernaut'.

He said the success of the films, which grossed almost $3 billion worldwide, made him feel as if he had 'disappeared'.

He told The Sunday Times: 'It was like being hit by a juggernaut. One minute, I was Simon Tolkien, a barrister from London. The next, I was JRR Tolkien's grandson. This might sound strange, but I began to lose sight of who I was. It was as if I — me, Simon — had disappeared. I felt suffocated.'

It was reported at the time that the family row stemmed from Mr Tolkien's willingness to cooperate with director Peter Jackson despite opposition from the rest of the estate.

However this was later denied.

Mr Tolkien said: 'Maybe some people assumed it was about money...I don't know.

'In hindsight, I think all of my anger was being driven by this feeling that I was trapped. All I ever was going to be was the grandson of a very famous writer. That was the sum total of my achievements.'

He and his father have since managed to reconcile their differences and he even dedicated his latest book to his father.

He said: 'I guess I feel lucky that I got the chance to put things right with my dad.

And no other report that I've been able to find, either from 2001 or 2012, has Simon Tolkien saying anything about the rift with his father stemming from their differing views on the films.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 15 2016, 9:51pm

Post #105 of 108 (519 views)
Shortcut
I thought I recalled Darkstone criticizing "Gone With the Wind". [In reply to] Can't Post

Particularly for how the film handled the rape scene in contrast to the book. This would have been in a contentious "What have you been reading?" thread, I think. But scanning around TORN, I find him praising the film more than once. Which more than anything else may just be a reminder that it's possible to like something while still finding faults in it. Or to dislike something while still finding admirable aspects in it. If you have a look at this blog post, you'll see me in the comments offering one paragraph from my favorite film crtitic's review of the movie version of Look Back in Anger (1959). I thought that the word "sophomoric" in that paragraph was enough to make it clear the critic thinks the film seriously flawed, but my respondent (the original blogger) feels the critic is hardly being negative at all. (I then emailed him the entire review.)

Anyway, definitely read this TORN post by Darkstone on cinematic adaptation.

Sarahbor
Lorien

Apr 15 2016, 10:26pm

Post #106 of 108 (510 views)
Shortcut
Gotcha [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were getting at--I really shouldn't post after midnight Tongue

Interesting report about Simon; I hadn't seen that before. But really, I have to say that feeling "suffocated" for suddenly being known as the grandson of a famous writer because of the release of multibillion dollar films has to be the biggest first world problem ever.

Hobbit/LOTR cartoons & humor: http://www.sarahbor.com/

(This post was edited by Sarahbor on Apr 15 2016, 10:27pm)

Omnigeek
Lorien

Apr 16 2016, 2:35am

Post #107 of 108 (490 views)
Shortcut
Just examples [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wouldn't say fantasy is in Michael Bay's realm, he's more science-fiction and explosions. Zach Snyder isn't much for fantasy either, more comic-book films. If I were to pick directors for The Silmarillion, I would pick Michael Mann (The Last of the Mohicans), Alejandro Inarritu (The Revenant), or James Mangold (3:10 to Yuma), maybe all three.

They were just examples of directors whose styles don't fit Tolkien's works. I'm not much of a fan of Snyder's work other than "300". I'm not a fan of Bay either although I thought he did an incredible job with "13 Hours".

If I were to pick a director for "The Children of Hurin" or some other sub-tale from "The Silmarillion", I'd probably go with Robert Wise or Richard Attenborough (leaving aside the fact they're both dead). I was impressed with how Rob Cohen handled "Dragon" and Ronald Maxwell did "Gettysburg".

Anyway, the point was simply that I'd rather seen Tolkien's other works not be made into films rather than have them made by the wrong creative team.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Apr 16 2016, 3:37am

Post #108 of 108 (484 views)
Shortcut
I've been working for a good theoretical team who could do it right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you seen my Silmarillion castings?

I always follow my job through.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.