Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Bombur Doll (Needle-Felted Wool)

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Apr 7 2016, 12:51pm

Post #1 of 9 (1708 views)
Shortcut
Bombur Doll (Needle-Felted Wool) Can't Post

It's been a while since I posted on here (last year!), but I've finished another Hobbit-themed wool doll. I've made several Tolkien characters before. Last year, I decided to make Bilbo and Thorin (two of my favorites). Well, they were so fun to work on, that my sister and I decided that it would be cool to make the whole Dwarf Company. My sister makes the leather accessories (arm guards, belts, etc.) and the metal decorations on the hair or buckles. I've also got her talked into doing some embroidery for me on the decorative bits. In order to get through all of the dwarves, we decided to start working on multiple characters at one time --- that means that we haven't finished one in a while, but several are now getting close! :)

Bombur is the newest one and was a LOT of fun to make. He stands 8-5/8" tall and weighs a whopping 4-1/4 ounces. That's quite hefty for one of these wool dolls. He's got a variety of wool and fiber on him. His little leg warmers are knitted from a silk-blend yarn. His boots are covered in a thin leather, and his bag is made of matching suede with a braided cotton strap.

If you'd like to see more photos (bigger, too!), and just the types of wool used, here is a webpage about it:
http://sarahbethonline.com/fogleberries/bombur.html

Hope these pictures come through okay!
Sarah

(This post was edited by Barrel Rider on Apr 7 2016, 12:54pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 7 2016, 2:58pm

Post #2 of 9 (1692 views)
Shortcut
That's freakin' AWESOME!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember your Thorin doll - and didn't you make a Bard doll as well? I'll be checking out your website for sure, great job!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Apr 7 2016, 3:01pm

Post #3 of 9 (1691 views)
Shortcut
Re: Bombur Doll [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! I haven't made Bard yet, but I have everything to make him. My Mom would really like a Bard doll, but she's decided that I should make him after all of the dwarves are finished. Her reasoning is that I'll be really practiced by then, and Bard will be even better. :)

Bifur is almost done. He's really intensive with felting and non-felted accessories, so he's taken a while. Balin is half finished. My sister is working on his embroidery now, and Nori is coming along really well. He should be done before too long!

Sarah

Sarahbor
Lorien

Apr 7 2016, 7:09pm

Post #4 of 9 (1681 views)
Shortcut
That is AMAZING! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've looked at your site a couple times in the past, and I love your Hobbit dolls, especially the Thorin one. You have real talent! I can't needle-felt anywhere near that well!

Can't wait to see your other ones! You should make a Dain-riding-pig doll too. That would be epic. A Smaug doll would be REALLY epic, but also probably really hard!

Hobbit/LOTR cartoons & humor: http://www.sarahbor.com/

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 7 2016, 8:28pm

Post #5 of 9 (1670 views)
Shortcut
These are amazing, Sarah and Elizabeth! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://sarahbethonline.com/...eberries/bombur.html (I put in a clickable link)
http://sarahbethonline.com/...ins/middleearth.html and LOTR dolls, too.
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=840447#840447 and your earlier informative post on how the parts come together.

I hope you're planning to keep all the dwarves and other characters together to pass on to your heirs - or sell as a group to a movie museum somewhere in the world Wink (but take proper precautions against gigantic moths with teeth like swords and wings like a hurricane, naturally!)

They would make a fabulous display at fantasy cons - right next to the Weta booth - where you could do demonstrations - and take orders - which means you would be making dolls for the next 60 years! You could take the display all around the US, the world! Make sure you have doubles to give to the real guys, should you meet them. Cool

This really gave me a boost this morning. Thank you for sharing!

You go, girls!

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 7 2016, 8:56pm

Post #6 of 9 (1664 views)
Shortcut
So impressive! [In reply to] Can't Post

Because, IMO, you pay attention to the scale of everything - everything is in balance to everything else - e.g good figure-makers know to choose thinner fabrics, and all that, that trim has to be in scale, and so on....these are all wonderful.

Looking forward to all the dwarves and Thranduil and Beorn, too...SmileWinkTongue

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Apr 7 2016, 9:16pm

Post #7 of 9 (1658 views)
Shortcut

Thanks so much! Good description of the moths, though I've never had problems with them . . . so far. :)

I do plan on keeping the set together, and actually keeping them myself. I've given away most of the other dolls that I've made, and this set seems like a good time to keep some! When they are all finished, I would like to display them somewhere --- in the hopes that some other fans may be able to enjoy them. Don't know where in Ohio that will work out, but I'm going to try and send photos of the finished set to a magazine somewhere. Two dolls are going to the State Fair this Summer (Thorin and Bilbo went last year!). It'd be fun to take Nori, if I can get him done on time. He's my favorite of the dwarves (Thorin not included, that is.), and his hair is certainly going to be a challenge.

I've had a few people contact me about ordering a doll, but they are usually scared off by the price. It takes me such a long time to make one, and these are so intricate, though, that it can't be helped. It also depends on my having more of the supplies to recreate someone exactly the same. Some of the dolls use up all of a certain color that I've got. Then, there is Bofur. Finding the right color wool for him is proving most difficult. Hoping to find some at a fiber show at the end of May!

Thanks for adding the clickable links! I should have done that. Oops!

Oh, and there are a couple of pictures showing Bombur before he was finished here (my blog):
http://littlekumquat.weebly.com/...oll-bombur-the-dwarf

Thanks for the nice words!
Sarah

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 8 2016, 1:10am

Post #8 of 9 (1649 views)
Shortcut
You just continue to amaze me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't shown any of your dolls to my two geeky young cousins yet, and now I can't, because I know one of them would start begging for his own Bombur! I don't think I'll ever give my poor neglected needle-felting kit the workout yours must get, but I'm content to enjoy the fruits of your labor online instead. I'll just stick with the spinning and knitting I'm best at, and leave the needle-felting to the experts like you! And I'll admit that I did go look at your page to see what breeds you used, because fiber nerd. ;)

I did wonder if you used actual knitting needles for the legwarmers or if you improvised with something else. I finally got a 4" set of steel size 0000 double-pointed needles for glove fingers, to make life easier.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Apr 8 2016, 9:26pm

Post #9 of 9 (1623 views)
Shortcut

Hi! How funny about your cousins. :) My needle-felting supplies get pretty well used, but (amazingly!) I am still using the original felting mat that I bought seven or eight years ago. It has gone through numerous birds and small projects --- as well as 28 completed dolls! It's showing it's age, though. I have to buy the felting needles in bulk packs of fifty, but they last a decent amount of time. I probably use fifty in a year or so, if I think about it. Sometimes they break from going into the wool at a bad angle, but they really wear out most of the time.

I actually used American Size 1 knitting needles for those leg warmers, but I do have size 0000 double-pointed needles! I got those years ago for dollhouse knitting . . . then discovered felting. :) I tried using 00 needles for Bombur, but I wanted the bulkier look, so the Size 1 needles ended up working better. I don't do too much knitting, but I love the finished product!

I'll post some more pictures in a day or two, depending on how the weekend goes. I've got some pictures of some of the dwarves "in the works" that might be fun for everybody to see! Also, I made two smaller felted Thorin dolls for some friends for Christmas and can now post pics of those. They were 6" tall, and one was in the usual blue outfit and the other was in the finale outfit from the final battle. I'll be back with pics of that in the next couple of days. :)

Sarah

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.