The Hobbit Challenge - Week 2
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 6 2016, 10:20am

Post #1 of 31 (1724 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Challenge - Week 2 Can't Post

Welcome to the second week of The Hobbit 3 Week Challenge. There will be ten questions to answer each week. Questions will be posted on Wednesday (U.S.).

Thanks to all who participated in the first week. If you are just now joining in and would like to answer the first weeks questions please click on the link at the end of this post.

A few things to know:
1. This is strictly for kicks and giggles. There are no right or wrong answers.
2. While this is for fun, it also a challenge. The challenge is to answer all the questions. Cool
3. I already have a list of 30 questions, however I am open to suggestions. If you have a question for the Challenge, please submit it via private message and I just may use it. Wink

Let's begin.

Week 2
1. Best Bilbo moment (I know it's hard, but try to choose one)
2. Best Thorin moment (again, choose one)
3. Best character moment, other than Bilbo or Thorin
4. Favorite location
5. Best villain
6. Do you think Bilbo's last riddle - "What is in my pocket" - was fair?
7. Favorite female character (if your favorite character from week one was female, respond with second favorite)
8. Favorite wizard
9. What did you think of Smaug's death?
10. Best fight sequence

Week one questions: http://newboards.theonering.net/...psed;guest=167559914

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 6 2016, 11:32am

Post #2 of 31 (1636 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo's speech to the company after goblin town at the end of AUJ.
2. Thorin at the secret door in DOS.
3. Fill "I belong with my brother" speech.
4. Hobbiton.
5. Smaug
6. Not really but it was Gollums own fault that it became a riddle.
7. Galadriel
8. Gandalf
9. I love it, one of the best scene scenes in the film.
10 The dwarves vs the trolls.

Noria
Gondor

Apr 6 2016, 12:23pm

Post #3 of 31 (1627 views)
Shortcut
I have no single favourite of anything so this is hard. [In reply to] Can't Post

-One of my many favourites is Bilbo with Gandalf after Thorin’s death. No dialogue, just great acting that tells us everything with the face alone.

-Today I’ll say the acorn scene in BOTFA when Thorin almost comes back to himself.

-Balin has many but I’ll say his emotion as he returns to Erebor by the secret door.

4. Favorite location
-My favourite new location is Laketown; old location is Bag End.

5. Best villain
-I’m not particularly interested in villains or Orcs but I’ll say Azog because he was such a well realized personality: smart, arrogant and even smug, absolutely brutal and unrelenting and yet totally under Sauron’s thumb.

-It wasn’t a riddle but Gollum accepted it so it was fair.

7. Favorite female character (if your favorite character from week one was female, respond with second favorite)
-Tauriel. I love Galadriel too but Tauriel was new. As I said before, she is everything a warrior Elfmaiden should be.

8. Favorite wizard
-Gandalf the Grey forever

-I thought it was great, all of it: the way that he thrashed across the burning roof tops after he was hit, dealing out still more destruction, then shot up into the sky as if trying to outrun death, his airborne death throes and the light in his eyes and the fire is his chest winking out and his tongue protruding as he died and then plummeted back to earth, seeming as heavy as a meteor. I don’t even mind the bit of silliness with the Master because the rest was so good.

10. Best fight sequence
-Today I’ll say Bilbo so bravely and ineptly defending the comatose Thorin in the Out of the Frying Pan sequence in AUJ, with Dwalin, Fili and Kili charging to their temporary rescue as they try to take on all those Orcs and Wargs

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 6 2016, 1:27pm

Post #4 of 31 (1623 views)
Shortcut
*Cough.... sneeze.... kick.... giggle..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Parting from the dwarves

"I know these walls..."

Hilda rallying the women of Laketown

4. Favorite location
Beorn's house

5. Best villain
Smaug!

We....ell. It wasn't a riddle at all, and Bilbo didn't intend it to be part of the game. Gollum accepted it. I s'pose that made it fair - and I can't blame Bilbo for grabbing an opportunity not to be eaten!

Galadriel

8. Favorite wizard
Gandalf

Perfection. An amazing scene, made all the more amazing by the fact that as the light goes out of his eye I can't help pitying Smaug, despite all that he has done.

10. Best fight sequence
Too close to call really - I'll say 'Into the fire' - from Thorin running down the burning pine tree to the eagle rescue

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 6 2016, 3:16pm

Post #5 of 31 (1614 views)
Shortcut
This will be very tough [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Best Bilbo moment (I know it's hard, but try to choose one) Well the "acorn scene" in BOT5A is good, but I think I'll go with his meeting Smaug, the way he stood there shaking with fear after Smaug revealed himself was SO believable! But yeah, there were so many others!

2. Best Thorin moment (again, choose one) Another tough call - lots of good acting in BOT5A with just his expression, going from sane to crazy/suspicious instantly. But I think I'll go with Thorin shouting "Hold your ground!" and whipping out Orchrist during the Warg chase, before jumping on the rock and making sure all his men were safe before jumping down to safety himself. Truly heroic!EvilHeart

3. Best character moment, other than Bilbo or Thorin - easy, that would be Bofur at the Ramparts: "Goodbye, Bilbo," awwwww!

4. Favorite location - again easy, Earnslaw Burn, the waterfalls in AUJ. I'll be going to NZ in October and fully intend to walk under that very same waterfall!

5. Best villain - hmmm, so many good performances, but I have to go with Smaug!

6. Do you think Bilbo's last riddle - "What is in my pocket" - was fair? Sure it was!

7. Favorite female character (if your favorite character from week one was female, respond with second favorite) Tauriel, followed closely by Hilda-Bianca.

8. Favorite wizard - Ian McKellan, I mean Gandalf ("I'm Gandalf, and Gandalf means, ME!").

9. What did you think of Smaug's death? Didn't much care for the improvised bow, but the scene with Smaug trying to fly away, and the light fading from his eye, was absolutely PERFECT!!!

10. Best fight sequence - Before BOT5A it was Leggy & Tauriel in Bard's house, and that still deserves honorable mention. However, it's been replaced with Thorin's ice fight with Azog; FANTASTIC fight choreography, love the use of terrain and the consistency of scale between Thorin & Azog, and as I said in another post Thorin stepping off the ice to drown Azog was about the most clever, original fight ending I've ever seen. Too bad it didn't workUnsure

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on Apr 6 2016, 3:21pm)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 6 2016, 3:33pm

Post #6 of 31 (1602 views)
Shortcut
That last picture... [In reply to] Can't Post

oh my. It hit me hard. Now I'm sitting here at work all tearry eyed and I can't explain to anyone why, because no one would understand.

DainPig
Gondor

Apr 6 2016, 3:55pm

Post #7 of 31 (1599 views)
Shortcut
My favorite female character [In reply to] Can't Post

is Legolas

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 6 2016, 3:58pm

Post #8 of 31 (1593 views)
Shortcut
*Sniggers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh...oh darn you took mine.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2016, 5:03pm

Post #9 of 31 (1589 views)
Shortcut
That's why it's lovely to come here, [In reply to] Can't Post

because we do understand. Evil

In Reply To

oh my. It hit me hard. Now I'm sitting here at work all tearry eyed and I can't explain to anyone why, because no one would understand.

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 6 2016, 5:40pm

Post #10 of 31 (1579 views)
Shortcut
Awwww... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 6 2016, 6:31pm

Post #11 of 31 (1574 views)
Shortcut
Here goes! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo forgets himself during the prison break
2. "There is no choice, Balin. Not for me."
3. Lobelia in BOTFA Tongue
4. Bag End
5. Smaug
6. It's a matter of... interpretation. Cool
7. Galadriel
8. Gandalf
9. superbly executed
10. the skirmish in Bard's house

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 6 2016, 6:50pm

Post #12 of 31 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Sorry 'bout that! [In reply to] Can't Post

They're getting Richard ready for his death scene - I guess he's getting ready, too. I don't know if you have the behind-the-scenes extras, but in that segment he talks about wanting to just lay there by himself for awhile, just to get ready. (Could be why that scene rated the best "Durin's death" in your other poll.) In fact, there's an alternate take in that segment, and I truly have trouble deciding which take is better - even the crew are teary-eyed, and PJ is nearly speechless. Such great actors - oh my, now I'm about to get teary-eyed.Pirate

There, that's better!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 6 2016, 7:26pm

Post #13 of 31 (1563 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the behind the scenes footage... [In reply to] Can't Post

and that image as well, but for some reason it me hard when I saw it on your post. Maybe because I wasn't expecting it. I remember Richard saying that a little memorial had emerged on the spot where he/Thorin had died.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Apr 6 2016, 9:36pm

Post #14 of 31 (1542 views)
Shortcut
I love this! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. When Bilbo gives him speech to the dwarf's saying that he'll try to help them as best as he can.
2. When he runs down the burning tree to face Azog.
3. Thranduil and Tauriel's conversation, Galadriel and Gandalf in Rivendell, and Bilbo and Elrond's talk about his staying. Also enjoy the scene when Old Bilbo is complaining to Frodo about the Sackville-Baggins'.
4. All the scenery of when the Company leaves the Shire.
5. Smaug. But I also really liked the Great Goblin! haha!
6. Yes. He was in a tight squeeze and his life depended on it! (Sorry, Gollum!)
7. Tauriel. But she is followed pretty closely by Sigrid! and let's not forget Galaldriel!
8. Gandalf, and Radagast and Saruman. (To put one, Gandalf)
9. I found in a worthy death for the last Great Dragon of Middle-earth.
10. The War Chariot.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Dwarewien
Rohan

Apr 6 2016, 10:10pm

Post #15 of 31 (1540 views)
Shortcut
My answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just one quick note: I will not be including any of those scenes in any of my answers, since in my mind, it never happened.Unsure

Now, on to the challenge:

Week 2
1. Best Bilbo moment (I know it's hard, but try to choose one): Other than what I mentioned in the first challenge? Probably when he sticks up for the dwarves in BoFA (again, I'm referring to the theatrical edition)
2. Best Thorin moment (again, choose one): Tough call, but one of my favorites in when he tricks Smaug into lighting the forges at the end of DoS (which I've never had a problem with).
3. Best character moment, other than Bilbo or Thorin: The scene when Saruman makes fun of Radagast saying something about his consumption of mushrooms.
4. Favorite location: Erebor, with Laketown being a close second (being quite the ocean lover)
5. Best villain: Smaug (who doesn't love dragons)
6. Do you think Bilbo's last riddle - "What is in my pocket" - was fair? Yes, even though he was just wondering what he had in his pocket, but since Gollum challenged him to it, he had to stick with it.
7. Favorite female character (if your favorite character from week one was female, respond with second favorite): Galadriel
8. Favorite wizard: Gandalf
9. What did you think of Smaug's death? This question I can answer. I thought it was very well done, but I kind of felt sad when it happened, since Smaug was the last of the dragons in Middle-earth.
10. Best fight sequence: Since I can't mention any of those scenes, I'd have to say the scene when Bombur crashes through the floor in Goblin Town (that's one way to get down below quickly) in AUJ.

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Kim
Valinor

Apr 7 2016, 2:08am

Post #16 of 31 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Challenge accepted - Part Deux [In reply to] Can't Post

Bag End, the morning after the dwarves leave. Such a great performance portraying relief, followed swiftly by regret.

Only one? Argh! OK, I'm going with Azanulbizar

Bombur barrel rider!

4. Favorite location
Old: Hobbiton New: Trollshaws CGI: Erebor

5. Best villain
Smaug. That was one impressive dragon!

Well, not really, but I guess you have to admire him for seizing the opportunity!

Tauriel

8. Favorite wizard
Gandalf

Pretty impressive. I loved the improvised bow and arrow and Smaug's last flight up where we saw the light fade from his eyes and fire leave his chest.

10. Best fight sequence
Thorin vs. Azog in BOFA. The move where Thorin maneuvers Azog to slide under the ice was inspired. (and that's the end of the movie! Yessir, no more to see here!)

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Apr 7 2016, 3:11am

Post #17 of 31 (1513 views)
Shortcut
There were more dragons [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien wrote that there were other dragons after Smaug, and even close to our own times. Smaug was just the last Great Dragon. So you don't have to feel quite as bad about it!

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Apr 7 2016, 3:20am

Post #18 of 31 (1511 views)
Shortcut
, [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo's farewell to the Dwarves.
2. His death speech.
3. Dori offering Gandalf chamomile tea.
4. Laketown.
5. The Goblin King, but Smaug is close. I actually think the Hobbit has more interesting villains than LOTR (both book and film).
6. Not really, but Gollum accepted it.
7. Lobelia
8. Saruman.
9. Very well done, especially the nice little touch of the light going out.
10. Bifur vs. Random Orc

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 7 2016, 5:40am

Post #19 of 31 (1503 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

Week 2
1. Best Bilbo moment
When Thorin has died.
2. Best Thorin moment
His dying scene, talking with Bilbo.
Thranduil: "Legolas. Your mother loved you very much...."
4. Favorite location
Laketown
5. Best villain
Smaug
No, but hey!
Tauriel
8. Favorite wizard
Gandalf
Awesome. Most amazing CGI, sound, emotion. It was so perfectly "serpent in the throes of death"-ish.
10. Best fight sequence
Tauriel inside Bard's house, with the children doing their bit too. I love that elves know what's happening behind them. Laugh

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Apr 7 2016, 12:03pm

Post #20 of 31 (1466 views)
Shortcut
answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo and Gandalf/BOFTA pipe scene
2. "deathbed" sequence
3. Dain's Arrival (BOTFA EE)
4. Beorn's place
5. Smaug
6. No.
7. Tauriel
8. Radaghast (other than Gandalf???)
9. Better without "boy becomes bow" scene
10. Beorn's arrival BOFTA

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 7 2016, 12:50pm

Post #21 of 31 (1456 views)
Shortcut
so hard to pick single moments over others, but here I go.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Week 2

When he fans away Smaug's breath from his face in Erebor in DOS. I laugh out loud every time I watch it.

When he says, "I have the only right," to Bard who questions his right to enter the mountain in DOS.

When Dain says, "Hey! How do you like the old twirly-whirlies?! Ha-ha, you buggers!" in BOTFA

4. Favorite location

Bag-End. Always.

5. Best villain

Smaug.

Technically, yes, because Gollum says, "Go on, ask us a question." But Morally, no. Gollum meant "ask us another riddle."

Tauriel (a red-headed Evangeline Lilly. Need I say more).

8. Favorite wizard

Gandalf. Always.

Absolutely perfect. The screaming, followed by the struggling for air and frantic flight, the tongue sticking out, the gargling noise of his last breath, the way the fire in both his belly and arrow-wound extinguish at his last breath, then the silent, limp fall. Perfection.

10. Best fight sequence

When the dwarves attack the trolls in AUJ. Kili's confident stand followed by the rest of the gang bursting on the scene. Each dwarf is given a moment of glory and bravery in that scene. Love it.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2016, 1:45pm

Post #22 of 31 (1450 views)
Shortcut
Well, this IS a challenge [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so hard to choose! Wink

The "home" speech after the goblin tunnels.

Azanulbizar. (Also, #majestic hair breeze)

Bard/Bain: "Look at me! You look at me."

4. Favorite location
Bag End. Heart

5. Best villain

Smaug (also, best ego)

Not really--but rules is rules, and Gollum accepted it. Wink

Lobelia!

8. Favorite wizard

Gandalf

Glad it happened. Wink

10. Best fight sequence

I'll go with Thorin v. Azog on the ice. Except for, you know, how it ended. Pirate

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

LSF
Gondor

Apr 7 2016, 3:28pm

Post #23 of 31 (1435 views)
Shortcut
my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1- When Gollum say if Bilbo loses, he'll eat him. The moment of silence before Bilbo says "Fair enough" is perfect Laugh

2- His dying scene.

3- Bofur's conversation with Bilbo on the wall. "The battle will be over by tomorrow's eve... though I doubt we will live to see it" gets me every time.

4- Thranduil's kingdom

5- Azog. Cold, brutal, and intelligent.

6- Maybe... from a certain point of view... Nothing wrong with using semantics to avoid being eaten, is there? Tongue

7- Tauriel

8- Gandalf

9- Absolutely loved it. Perfectly acted and animated.

10- one-on-one goes to Thorin and Azog on the ice- stunning visuals and unique environment. Group goes to escaping the goblins- such a fun one.

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

Apr 7 2016, 7:46pm

Post #24 of 31 (1405 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I think my favourite part with Bilbo is when he's confronting Smaug. He's so small and frail compared to such a powerful creature, and his bravery and courage really shines through in this scene, although you also get to see his mousy, frightened side with funny mannerisms and body motions.
2. I have to say his final scene, when he reconciles with Bilbo. Certainly a very powerful scene, and possibly his most profound words that really get one of the most important messages of the movie/book across
3. I think my favourite is "I belong with my brother" as Fíli is my favourite character, and this is probably his biggest character moment in the films in terms of dialogue and being in the fore-front of the scene. There are lots of other scenes that tell you about his character, but you have to squint to see many of them!
4. The hardest one for me, I'm answering this last. I'd have to say Erebor. Not necessarily the most appealing to my personal living tastes, but it is certainly the most impressive and cool of the locations in my opinion.
5. Smaug. His voice alone is so outstanding, and the visuals...oh my! Such an excellent character as well, his cunning, smooth, serpent like nature mixed with his pure brutal strength and power is amazing.
6. No. A riddle is supposed to give some sort of hint to what the answer is inside it, this was a straight up question that was in no way a real riddle.
7. Galadriel is such an important elf, and her bad-ass scenes in Dol Guldur are pretty cool. She's not necessarily near the top of my favourite character list, but of the few females, she's my favourite.
8. Gandalf. He just really reminds me of my grandfather.
9. I thought it was done very well, especially the visuals. I didn't love how they changed the storyline, but I can understand that it would make it more intense if I were a first-time movie goer who had never read the book.
10. Thorin vs Azog on Ravenhill. My only problem was that they kept cutting between that epic fight and the less than great fight between Legolas and Bolg.

Kim
Valinor

Apr 8 2016, 2:28am

Post #25 of 31 (1373 views)
Shortcut
But RD [In reply to] Can't Post

10. Best fight sequence
I'll go with Thorin v. Azog on the ice. Except for, you know, how it ended. Pirate

That fight ended when Azog went under the ice. Didn't you see my post? That was it. The end. Nothing more to see here.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.