The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 5 2016, 4:49pm

Post #1 of 9 (655 views)
Shortcut
Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs Can't Post

I know Tolkien wrote about the animosity between Elves and Dwarves, but what I cannot recall is what he said about the Elves and Dwarves animosity toward Orcs. For some reason I keep think he wrote the only thing Elves and Dwarves despised more than each other were Orcs (or something along those lines), but I'm not entirely sure if he wrote that or if someone else wrote it. Does anyone know?

DainPig
Gondor

Apr 5 2016, 5:39pm

Post #2 of 9 (631 views)
Shortcut
It is said [In reply to] Can't Post

that the biggest enemies of the dwarves are the yrch

Yup, I read it in MERP

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 5 2016, 6:01pm

Post #3 of 9 (619 views)
Shortcut
MERP [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth...what does the RP stand for?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 5 2016, 6:04pm

Post #4 of 9 (619 views)
Shortcut
MERP by ICE [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle-earth Role Playing game from Iron Crown Enterprises. It has been out-of-print for years.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 5 2016, 6:10pm)

DainPig
Gondor

Apr 5 2016, 6:18pm

Post #5 of 9 (608 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this game! I learned a lot of things about Middle-earth playing MERP, before I could read Lotr or Silma!

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 5 2016, 6:47pm

Post #6 of 9 (602 views)
Shortcut
Role Play... [In reply to] Can't Post

that's what I thought it meant. Otaku-sempai you seem very Tolkien/Middle Earth savvy...did Tolkien ever write anything about the Elves and Dwarves animosity toward orcs?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 5 2016, 8:20pm

Post #7 of 9 (596 views)
Shortcut
Elves and Dwarves and Orcs, oh my! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Otaku-sempai you seem very Tolkien/Middle Earth savvy...did Tolkien ever write anything about the Elves and Dwarves animosity toward orcs?

Probably quite a bit, though I'm not sure how much I can find to actually quote. The Orcs were made to be mockeries of Elves (and Men) and so the hatred between Elves and Orcs ran deep. From The Silmarillion:

[All] those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, were put there in prison, and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the Orcs in envy and mockery of the Elves, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes.

The Orcs, besides being servants of Morgoth and later Sauron, were rivals with the Dwarves for many of the same resources including similar habitats. Of the Dwarves, The Silmarillion says:

A warlike race of old were all the Naugrim, and they would fight fiercely against whomever aggrieved them: servants of Melkor, or Eldar, or Avari, or wild beasts, or not seldom against their own kin, Dwarves of other mansions and lordships.

I hope that you find this helpful.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 6 2016, 1:47pm

Post #8 of 9 (548 views)
Shortcut
Oh my, plenty I should think [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
did Tolkien ever write anything about the Elves and Dwarves animosity toward orcs?

Otaku has given two examples of this animosity, but to simplify:

Throughout his writings the orcs had an inherent tendency to rape, pillage, and plunder (ok, not Tolkien’s words, but you get the idea) all the Free Peoples of Middle-earth – Elves, Dwarves, Men, and yes, Hobbits too on occasion (Battle of the Greenfields for one). BTW I believe it should always be “Middle-earth” not “Middle Earth”.

…Cheers

"I never said most of the things I said."
- Yogi & Me

Plurmo
Rohan

Apr 9 2016, 4:01am

Post #9 of 9 (492 views)
Shortcut
Surprisingly, [In reply to] Can't Post

there is little mention of elves and dwarves in the educating of young orclings, which is mostly done by means of playful businesslike proverbs, like "If we keep digging where we're digging, we're going to keep getting what we're getting," or "It's all fun and games until someone loses The Eye."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.