Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Have the films inspired anyone to read the book?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Mar 31 2016, 6:41pm

Post #1 of 46 (1866 views)
Shortcut
Have the films inspired anyone to read the book? Can't Post

Reading the Hobbit Challenge thread, nearly everyone read the book before watching the movies. I wonder, have the movies gotten anyone here interested in reading the book? If so, how did it compare for you?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 31 2016, 6:55pm

Post #2 of 46 (1772 views)
Shortcut
Probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would guess, yes, but I can't speak for myself, first having read the book about 45 years ago.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Mar 31 2016, 7:43pm

Post #3 of 46 (1759 views)
Shortcut
In a way [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wonder, have the movies gotten anyone here interested in reading the book?

I started reading the book in 2012, and one of reasons way I started reading the book was because AUJ would come out later that year and I wonted to read the hobbit before seeing the film. So yes, the movies got me interested in reading the book.

Ettelewen
Rohan

Mar 31 2016, 8:00pm

Post #4 of 46 (1753 views)
Shortcut
Yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

It inspired me to read the book again! Cool

LSF
Gondor

Mar 31 2016, 8:01pm

Post #5 of 46 (1756 views)
Shortcut
No for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was never interested in reading any Tolkien. I got the 4-book set for christmas 2004 (age 14) after seeing and liking all the LOTR movies, and even then I wasn't interested in reading it, though I did give it a try and made it halfway through Two Towers before giving up. As for Hobbit, I avoided choosing that book for middle/high school book reports, and these movies haven't made me want to try it now. What's interesting about my zero interest in reading Tolkien was that was the age range where I was reading a fair amount of fantasy novels. If it was going to catch me, it would've been then.

So yeah, I'm only here for the movies Tongue

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 31 2016, 8:30pm

Post #6 of 46 (1737 views)
Shortcut
I plan to re-read LoTR this summer [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I've read them at least once, probably in Jr. High or my early 20's. But when I saw the movies in 2001 - 2003, I couldn't remember half the characters. I did re-read the Hobbit after AUJ came out; what can I say? If I'd read it as a child I might have liked it, so I'm not planning to re-read it again any time soon. But yeah, LoTR for sure - may take me 6 months, I'm a slow reader!Blush

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2016, 9:38pm

Post #7 of 46 (1711 views)
Shortcut
Knowing they were coming up inspired me to reread it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't read it in a long time and actually didn't like it much, so I decided to give it another chance. (I discovered lots of things I did like that time, many years later!)

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

wizzardly
Rohan

Mar 31 2016, 10:50pm

Post #8 of 46 (1708 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

The existence of these movies will discourage many in the future from reading the book because they will just figure it's the same thing, and watching movies takes less effort and personal involvement. And on a side note, there will come a time where not one single person on the planet will know the difference between "you're" and "your".

DainPig
Gondor

Apr 1 2016, 12:48am

Post #9 of 46 (1677 views)
Shortcut
Absulutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I read The Hobbit for the first time in september-october 2012, just before the release of AUJ. By now, I've read the book three or four times, paying more attention to the details, you know. Actually, TH movies introduced me to the Legendarium.

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???
Hey guys, this is my blog: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Dain Ironfoot has come!! And his pig's here too! It's going to be a great feast tonight, we are gonna eat Dain's pig! :0

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Apr 1 2016, 2:25am

Post #10 of 46 (1660 views)
Shortcut
LOTR is very different from the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

If you thought LOTR was tedious, the Hobbit is written in a totally different style, and (for me at least) is more engaging. I wouldn't base preconceptions about the Hobbit book based on the LOTR books.

LSF
Gondor

Apr 1 2016, 2:30am

Post #11 of 46 (1658 views)
Shortcut
I've heard that's the case... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it doesn't solve the problem of me not being interested in reading any Tolkien Tongue

I didn't avoid hobbit book because i based it on lotr, i avoided it because i wasn't at all interested or curious about it. I only tried lotr because it was a gift (though hobbit was included in the set).

(This post was edited by LSF on Apr 1 2016, 2:44am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 1 2016, 2:34am

Post #12 of 46 (1656 views)
Shortcut
I'm a book-firster [In reply to] Can't Post

I was assigned The Hobbit by one of my teachers when I was 14, and that was before any movies had been even thought of. I loved it, and read it in a couple evenings. I next read LOTR in about a week, and re-read both every year for a long time. The announcement of the movies in 2000 or so made me apprehensive, because the previous attempts had been horrible. Fortunately they were wonderful, but I still read the books every year. I'm lucky that the Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, Aragorn, Eowyn, Boromir, Faramir, and other characters that I loved in the books have not been replaced by the movie actors - I still have the characters that have been with me for more than 40 years.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Apr 1 2016, 9:48am

Post #13 of 46 (1631 views)
Shortcut
A lot of people I know [In reply to] Can't Post

read the book after seeing the first two Hobbit movies. They really liked the movies and decided to read the book to learn what happens in the end; and before they read the book some of them were very confused with the geography of Middle-earth lol - they thought Erebor was Mount Doom ages before Lotr, and thought that at the end of the Hobbit Sauron turns the lands around Erebor into Mordor Laugh.

Fereth
Rivendell

Apr 1 2016, 12:48pm

Post #14 of 46 (1614 views)
Shortcut
I've always have a vague notion to read it. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I would not say the films have any influence one way or the other.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 1 2016, 1:07pm

Post #15 of 46 (1626 views)
Shortcut
There's a book? [In reply to] Can't Post

Your serious? What's you're opinion of it? Is it any good? A lot of movie novelizations leave a lot to be desired.

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!”
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

malickfan
Gondor

Apr 1 2016, 1:35pm

Post #16 of 46 (1603 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I had very mixed feelings on An Unexpected Journey, and Jackson's adaptation inspired me to go back, re-read and enjoy the book all over again Wink

But seriously, you only have to look at Amazon or Goodreads to notice the huge increase in the number reviews in recent years to realise how many more copies of the book were sold because of the films...the book was very popular before, but I'd certainly be curious as to how those who watched the Thorin lead, darker more violent films first would perceive the simpler, more fairytale esque story told in the book...

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 1 2016, 2:09pm

Post #17 of 46 (1599 views)
Shortcut
Not worth checking out [In reply to] Can't Post

They totally changed the book from the movie! I mean they even left out Tauriel! I don't reccomend reading any of the authors books (his name is j.r.r. Tolkien). He also wrote the novelisation for LOTR and he added way to many things that werent in the movie. I don't like authors that think they can change whatever they like.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website
My LOTR-inspired fantasy novel is on Amazon

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 1 2016, 2:48pm

Post #18 of 46 (1593 views)
Shortcut
Why does PJ keep hiring that Tolkien guy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, he really messed up the LOTR novelization. He added in weird stuff like Tom Boombadiddle and the "Souring of the Shire", then turned around and left out important stuff like the Elves at Helm's Deep and "Go home, Sam". And what's with replacing Arwen with some random Elf named Gombadell that we never hear from again?

I'd almost suspect that Tolkien guy had never even seen the movies!

Thanks for the warning. I'll save my money.

"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Cool!!"

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 1 2016, 3:52pm

Post #19 of 46 (1573 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

They totally changed the book from the movie! I mean they even left out Tauriel! I don't reccomend reading any of the authors books (his name is j.r.r. Tolkien). He also wrote the novelisation for LOTR and he added way to many things that werent in the movie. I don't like authors that think they can change whatever they like.

Too true. I mean, I tried. But it just became painfully apparent that the book was crammed with *gratuitous whimsy* and I don't know where the idea of chatty fashion accessories might have come from. Unbelievably the glorious shimmering coifs so characteristic of the dwarves are morphed into these bluegrass-band beards (and everyone is wearing a cloak like some secret society), he leaves out Thranduil's son completely OMG, doesn't mention Bard's two daughters (kind of an important motivation, don't you think?), changes all the orcs, Beorn looks more like Hagrid or something...

LOTR as well - you would have thought that Arwen would have merited PAGES and this author, I feel, was just too male-centric - I mean we have male elves, another hobbit who gets some paragraphs, then there's that woman talking about kingsfoil and of course she is depicted as chatty and silly and Aragorn is actually rude to her! - where did that come from, it wasn't in the film and neither was the character - huh.AngelicEvil

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 1 2016, 4:01pm

Post #20 of 46 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, what was with the Dwarves and their beards being weird colours? [In reply to] Can't Post

That was just totally off, I mean was this Tolkien guy colour blind or what?

------
My website

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 1 2016, 4:05pm

Post #21 of 46 (1563 views)
Shortcut
I think you spelled Boombadiddle wrong. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't it something like Obamadell? I thought it was a badly-executed political joke. Seriously people need to stop pandering to politicians, art for art's sake guys! And then Gombadell, really? Pick a name that's not like exactly the same as Obamadell! That's totally gonna mix people up!

------
My website

LSF
Gondor

Apr 1 2016, 4:34pm

Post #22 of 46 (1557 views)
Shortcut
you mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

You mean things changed in this movie to book adaptation, written by a person who didn't make the movie? Say it isn't so! Shocked How could anyone let such a thing happen to these movies I love?

Really, though, I would be interested in novelizations of the Hobbit movies (like the Star Wars movie ones). I think enough was changed to justify it. Hey, maybe these could fit in some of the movie deleted scenes we know about, fit in other things that they thought of but didn't have the time to do... Wink

wizzardly
Rohan

Apr 1 2016, 5:12pm

Post #23 of 46 (1546 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

If someone were to write up a novelization of the movies and just changed all the names (except Tauriel and Alfrid), they probably wouldn't even have to pay any royalties to the Tolkien estate.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 1 2016, 5:19pm

Post #24 of 46 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Did PJ sell the book rights to that Tolkien guy? [In reply to] Can't Post

If your sure about that I'll take you're word for it.

That explains a lot.

"No way!"
"Way!"
"Cool!!"

wizzardly
Rohan

Apr 1 2016, 5:27pm

Post #25 of 46 (1538 views)
Shortcut
probably [In reply to] Can't Post

That guy would do anything for a buck.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.