The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Merry, Pippin..... same thing.

DainPig
Gondor

Apr 1 2016, 12:52am

Post #1 of 15 (667 views)
Shortcut
Merry, Pippin..... same thing. Can't Post

Am I the only one around who thinks Meriadoc and Peregrin are, kinda, the same character? 'Course, they have different names and origins, but I mean, his personalities. I've read Fellowship and did not find any difference....

I'm sorry. Am I wrong? Right?

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???
Hey guys, this is my blog: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Dain Ironfoot has come!! And his pig's here too! It's going to be a great feast tonight, we are gonna eat Dain's pig! :0

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 1 2016, 1:43am

Post #2 of 15 (626 views)
Shortcut
Merry is the more mature of the pair. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pippin is the youngest and most immature member of the fellowship, with a recklessness that gets him into trouble. Meriadoc is like a protective older brother to his cousin and we can even see a bit of his maturity when he helps Frodo in the days after Bilbo leaves. At that time Merry was barely more than a child, only about nineteen, not even having entered his tweens.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 1 2016, 1:36pm

Post #3 of 15 (603 views)
Shortcut
Lottsa differences here [In reply to] Can't Post

And fairly well fleshed out characters. Pippin was quite immature at 18 years-old at the time of the Quest, and was continually getting into trouble or putting his furry foot in his mouth – ”Frodo, jolly old Frodo, Lord of the Ring.”, or some such. Merry the elder of the two at 26 was more mature. It was Merry that went ahead to prepare Crickhollow for Frodo. It was Pippin that spilled his bathwater, and Merry that told him to clean-up before supper. (Just quick examples. There are many more.)
Merry seems (as Otaku says) somewhat like a ‘protective older brother’, and Pippin more the juvenile delinquent.
Suggest a reread and onward into the travels . . . Smile

"I never said most of the things I said."
- Yogi & Me

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 1 2016, 3:28pm

Post #4 of 15 (577 views)
Shortcut
Ages of Merry and Pippin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Pippin was quite immature at 18 years-old at the time of the Quest, and was continually getting into trouble or putting his furry foot in his mouth – ”Frodo, jolly old Frodo, Lord of the Ring.”, or some such. Merry the elder of the two at 26 was more mature.

Not to get picky, but I'm not sure how you come by those ages. Book-Pippin was born in 2990 and would have been around 28 years old when Frodo left for Rivendell. Merry, eight years the elder, would have been about 36 in the year 3018.

I do wonder if Pippin was older in the film trilogy, even if no more mature than he is in the book. In Peter Jackson's continuity Frodo probably is the youngest of the four hobbits instead of the oldest.

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 1 2016, 3:29pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 1 2016, 6:32pm

Post #5 of 15 (559 views)
Shortcut
That's ok [In reply to] Can't Post

Picky is good.

Messed my numbers here. Somehow I lost 10 years and 36 & 28 are book-correct. Pirate

- Yogi & Me

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 1 2016, 7:30pm

Post #6 of 15 (546 views)
Shortcut
Okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Messed my numbers here. Somehow I lost 10 years and 36 & 28 are book-correct. Pirate

I thought that might have been the case. I left Samwise out of this, since the original post was only about Merry and Pippin, but he was ten years older than Master Peregrin and so was 38 years old in 3018. And then there was Fredegar "Fatty" Bolger (the 'fifth Beatle' of the little group) for whom we have no year of birth.

In my head-canon the relative ages of Sam, Merry and Pippin remain more-or-less the same at the time of their departure from the Shire, perhaps with Pippin being slightly older, while Frodo becomes younger than the others. This reflects Peter Jackson's time-compression where they seem to leave the Shire in the year 3001 instead of 3018. Of course this also requires altering the years of birth for Frodo's companions by about seventeen years.

- Dream of the Endless

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 1 2016, 8:06pm

Post #7 of 15 (542 views)
Shortcut
Pippin was virtually 18. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was, after all, several years younger than the official "coming of age" at 33. Hobbits age slower and live longer than we do, so we could consider 28 as equivalent in maturity to our 18.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 1 2016, 8:55pm

Post #8 of 15 (532 views)
Shortcut
But, but I have to get this all straight in my head-Boom-canon [In reply to] Can't Post

If you think my addition/subtraction is bad you outta see my long-division… Wink

(Book) Beginning of Quest, Sept. 23, 3018.

Frodo – 50 years old (Am I figuring this right as his birthday was the day before they left?)
Samwise – 38 years old
Fatty Bolger – 38 years old, (Appendix C, Took of Great Smials), born 2980 (S.R. 1380).
Merry - 36 years old
Pippin – 28 years old

- Yogi & Me

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 1 2016, 11:21pm

Post #9 of 15 (520 views)
Shortcut
Ah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize (or had forgotten) that we do have a birth year for Fatty! And Frodo reached his age of majority (33) the same day as Bilbo's farewell party so he was indeed 50 years old (in Tolkien's legendarium) when he left Bag End on 23 September.

Presumably, Frodo was either 33 or 34 when he and Sam set out in in Jackson's FotR. I assume that Bilbo would still not have left before Frodo had reached adulthood.

- Dream of the Endless

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 2 2016, 1:14am

Post #10 of 15 (509 views)
Shortcut
Hey! I just noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

We’re ALL Forum Admins!

Does that mean I get to sneak into all of Otaku-sempai’s posts and change all the wording? Wink

APRIL FOOLS EVERYONE!! Sly Sly

As Scarlett said, “Tomorrow is another day.” Unsure

- Yogi & Me

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Apr 2 2016, 9:14pm

Post #11 of 15 (476 views)
Shortcut
Better prepared as well [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, in TTT Merry correctly recognizes that they are in Fangorn Forest, since he studied maps in Rivendell before leaving. Pippin seems to have done little to no preparation for the journey.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 2 2016, 11:56pm

Post #12 of 15 (464 views)
Shortcut
"You never studied." [In reply to] Can't Post

Ray to Dr. Peter Venkman.

- Dream of the Endless

dreamflower
Lorien

Apr 6 2016, 12:51pm

Post #13 of 15 (415 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

If you consider 21 as the age of majority for Men, hobbits tend to mature at approximately 2/3 the rate. (Tolkien gives a few other hints in Letters as well that seem to corroborate this.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

dreamflower
Lorien

Apr 6 2016, 1:42pm

Post #14 of 15 (409 views)
Shortcut
They are not at all interchangeable [In reply to] Can't Post

In the books.

Merry is a full adult, and as heir to the Master of Buckland and an only child is pretty responsible. He has a good sense of humor: his first dialogue in the book is a joke about Lobelia's insults, but, young as he is at the time he still helps with the aftermath of the Party. Years later, Frodo trusts him to purchase a house for him and to handle the move in his absence. We also discover the depths of his loyalty to his older cousin when we find out that he orchestrated the entire "Conspiracy", and that he had known about the Ring for years, keeping it a secret until he began to worry that Frodo might leave the Shire alone. (And this conspiracy began long before Gandalf revealed the truth to Frodo. Sam was already Merry's spy when he was listening under that window.) Once he learns the truth, he arranges for ponies, supplies, and finances, while at the same time helping Frodo to "move" to Buckland even though he knows Frodo will not be really living in Buckland! He does try at least, to guide them through Buckland. Once they reach Rivendell, he studies maps of Frodo's possible journey (in my opinion, so that he and Pippin could make plans to follow the Company if they had not been given permission to go).

Pippin is younger. He is eight years younger than Merry, and 22 years younger than Frodo. Even though he is the heir of the Thain, he's the youngest child and only son (three older sisters), and his father did not become Thain until just a few years before the Quest. It's likely he grew up as the little tagalong cousin who simply would not be left behind and that carries over into his interactions during the Quest. We see it in his declaration to Frodo at Crickhollow and also in Rivendell. He will follow Frodo wherever he goes. In the journey from Bag End to Buckland, we learn a lot about his personality: he's cheeky, mischievous and charming, on good terms with Farmer Maggot. He knows how to keep a secret, traveling across the Shire without Frodo getting a hint that his younger cousin already knows his plans. He pulls his weight without whining and faces fear and danger with determination as the journey grows increasingly darker. He's impulsive and behaves foolishly on occasion, but he's clever and quick-witted. After all, he orchestrated his and Merry's escape from Orcs by taking advantage of small opportunities as they happened. He forms strong friendships and loyalties quickly, is a fierce fighter when those he cares about are threatened, and remains optimistic even when facing what appears to be certain death. He left home a callow youth, and returns an adult.

So, nope. NOT interchangeable at all.

dreamflower
Lorien

Apr 6 2016, 2:15pm

Post #15 of 15 (403 views)
Shortcut
Won't let me edit [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I meant Merry attempted to guide them through the Old Forest.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.