Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My first post-
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 22 2008, 1:52am

Post #126 of 154 (5280 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Imladris! [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't this surreal!? The time-zone thing is the kicker. He could be anywhere right now... toying with us... chuckling. Golly! I HOPE SO! :D

It's great to have you here to share in the fun *high five*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2008, 2:02am

Post #127 of 154 (5150 views)
Shortcut
No news in any front, 2 past 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm like in 8 different places, and still nothing. If I spot anything, I'll let you know.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 22 2008, 2:34am

Post #128 of 154 (5482 views)
Shortcut
You're a wonder!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Steelsheen
The Shire

Apr 22 2008, 3:21am

Post #129 of 154 (5400 views)
Shortcut
i'm giving him until Wednesday. [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm giving GDT until Wednesday. he did drop clues about Monday and 72 hours.

if by Friday we dont hear anything, then i'm gonna expect the worst and bracing myself that we're gonna lose him. Unsure

Elven
Valinor

Apr 22 2008, 3:44am

Post #130 of 154 (5849 views)
Shortcut
OK - I stood my ground ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah after another thought ,,, monday: 72 + 24 (added to Monday) = Friday! (from where Im standing) - just in time for Fiesta Friday Maybe Smile

I still have a feeling its 96 hours after moonday - which makes it 4 days - which sees that being Friday (in Oz time) or its Friday (US time)- depending on where you are on the globe ... Wink

I still have hope .... hang in there tornsibs!!
we'll make it a week of anticiation then Cool

Cheers
Elven

I think I'm quite ready for another adventure!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 22 2008, 3:52am

Post #131 of 154 (7267 views)
Shortcut
Hey, don't panic, guys! Another take... [In reply to] Can't Post

Steelsheen, don't panic! I printed out the Riddle and pored over it. I had an initial suspicion that I disavowed that may now be proving correct.

To simplify, here's my theoretical timeline:

--Friday: GDT says "4 or 5 days" until News
--Saturday: NYC Comic-Con. (But a curious lack of immediate video footage, when I was expecting a lot by Sunday.)
--VERY late Saturday night/wee hrs of Sunday morning, Eastern Daylight Time/( aka NYC time, and we presume GDT is still in NYC): he posts The RIDDLE
--Sunday morning (I think), the first IGN video goes up
--Monday morning, the 2nd video goes up, the kind of detailed interview that I expected to go up by Sunday
--10 PM EDT passes, with no News

Here's my interpretation of this timeline, incorporating the Riddle and Compa Might'y news item in Main,about new (favorable) developments in the Tolkien Estate lawsuit.

1)Friday. GDT says 4 or 5 days until News. He is checking his sources following developments in the lawsuit, NL< etc etc. testing the Winds. He knows a resolution is very near.

2)Saturday, NYC Comic-Con. GDT is interviewed and gives extensive comments about his artistic ambitions for The Hobbit. But curiously, these videos are not footage from a Floor Panel, like expeted, but behind-closed-doors interviews. We do not see these interviews right away, b/c they talk of how he will make the films. They are the statements of someone who WILL be directing, you can tell. But as of Sat afternoon, he can't confirm that he will be. So he "hides" these prepared bits of info, in case the project is a No Go. No use releasing them and diappointing the fans.

3)Saturday evening/ wee Sunday morning: between midnight and 2 AM, GDT is on the phone with his sources, maybe in his hotel room in NYC. He gets word: the project is a GO, and the final details are to be hashed out. TheTolkien Estate has chosen NOT to file an injuntion to stop the films from being made; the suit will be settled at a future date out of court. The films can move forward. He only has to sign the papers some time this coming week, as soon as NL and Warner's have them ready. The process will take a few days.
He then posts the (prepared long in advance) Riddle, with the coded timeline, from his hotel room in NYC in the wee hrs of Sunday morning. (I was one of the 5 people up at 3 AM Satuday/Sunday when this hot TORN)

Imladris

Apr 22 2008, 3:55am

Post #132 of 154 (5185 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the warm welcome.... [In reply to] Can't Post

2008 Phases of the Moon Universal Time NEW MOON FIRST QUARTER FULL MOON LAST QUARTER d h m d h m d h m d h m JAN. 8 11 37 JAN. 15 19 46 JAN. 22 13 35 JAN. 30 5 03 FEB. 7 3 44 FEB. 14 3 33 FEB. 21 3 30 FEB. 29 2 18 MAR. 7 17 14 MAR. 14 10 46 MAR. 21 18 40 MAR. 29 21 47 APR. 6 3 55 APR. 12 18 32 APR. 20 10 25 APR. 28 14 12 MAY 5 12 18 MAY 12 3 47 MAY 20 2 11 MAY 28 2 57 JUNE 3 19 23 JUNE 10 15 04 JUNE 18 17 30 JUNE 26 12 10 JULY 3 2 19 JULY 10 4 35 JULY 18 7 59 JULY 25 18 42 AUG. 1 10 13 AUG. 8 20 20 AUG. 16 21 16 AUG. 23 23 50 AUG. 30 19 58 SEPT. 7 14 04 SEPT. 15 9 13 SEPT. 22 5 04 SEPT. 29 8 12 OCT. 7 9 04 OCT. 14 20 02 OCT. 21 11 55 OCT. 28 23 14 NOV. 6 4 03 NOV. 13 6 17 NOV. 19 21 31 NOV. 27 16 55 DEC. 5 21 26 DEC. 12 16 37 DEC. 19 10 29 DEC. 27 12 22

10 25 am is the hour of the moon on April 20th , + my 103 hours = April 24th 5pm universal time he will make his decision.Thats my story and i am sticking to it.

My best to you all --

"Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

(This post was edited by Imladris on Apr 22 2008, 3:57am)

Greenleaf
Bree

Apr 22 2008, 3:59am

Post #133 of 154 (5086 views)
Shortcut
Excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

transcription. That seems to make the most sense. Now all we have to do is find out what we can do for an ENTIRE week :(.

The Iron of Death

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 22 2008, 4:15am

Post #134 of 154 (4921 views)
Shortcut
Stupid time-out. Part 2: [In reply to] Can't Post

To continue:

4)So now that NL and The Tolkien Estate are in agreement that the films WILL be made--the TE is not fiiling an injuction to stop the films from being made--GDT was probably waiting on this news, this was the major stumbling block to the project going forward. He must have found out about this Saturday night. So now he is free to release all that pre-parepared video footage over the course of the coming week.
NL, and Warner's are now busy preparing the paperwork for him to sign, sometime this week; that will make his involvement official. (this is the "4 or 5 days he was speaking of...he has to fly back to LA and go through the process of signing the paperwork or whatever it is he and his agents do.) This will take a few days. Think about it. can't just find all this out and rush out with and announcement within 2 days...especially not if he and PJ were planning a joint Announcment. They have to prepare this.

5) In the meantime, he is now free of course to release those carefully prepared tasty video tidbits he recorded, in case the news said it was a Go. And I expect, if the timeline IS a week, we may have many more to come. This is of course a treat to keep the fans entertained while they wait out the week, and there might be some spontaneous stuff! "add to each day of the week"

6)I still stand by my "beginning of the weekly news cycle/Monday" interpretation...we just got the wrong Monday. And GDT wouldn't release the Riddle or the vidoes of he anticipated a wait longer than a week. It would be too early. So a few days more!

But I hope I am proved wrong....

Steelsheen
The Shire

Apr 22 2008, 4:30am

Post #135 of 154 (5233 views)
Shortcut
dont panic... dont panic... [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah i just saw the Tolkien estate update. maybe thats one of the legalities thats holding the announcement up.

i'm still giving GDT until Wednesday. he said from several sources about him knowing one way or another sometime midweek. but he was keeping it real that if it doesnt happen then it doesnt happen. we'd know that if Friday comes and goes and all stays silent.

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 22 2008, 4:32am

Post #136 of 154 (5648 views)
Shortcut
PS. [In reply to] Can't Post

Steelsheen, it IS a go. There's no if now, just when. Re-read the Riddle. "we'll learn of the Shire/And all you desire?...Questions will cease/ANSWERS WILL PLEASE."

Not the words of someone who still does not know if he will be directing. He wouldn't have said "answers will please" if he weren't.

cross-posting:

sorry! Let me repeat: just b/c he has the deal signed and sealed Wednesday or Thurs does NOT mean that we will be hearing word of it. We will likely hear nothing. Just innuendo.
As per the first part of the Riddle, he and PJ are preparing a grand "unveiling" set for next Monday morning. Then we will know.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Apr 22 2008, 4:35am)

Steelsheen
The Shire

Apr 22 2008, 5:11am

Post #137 of 154 (5054 views)
Shortcut
well Sunflower, [In reply to] Can't Post

i still think we got the right Monday, its the April 21st day. i'm not just basing it on the riddle, but from several media outlets that had GDT reiterate on the Monday/ 72 hrs/ midweek time line. the fact that the Tolkien Trust news broke yesterday just means that we're probably this much closer to a Hobbit announcement.

part of the reason why i'm reasoning on this side of caution is because i'm not just considering the Tolkien lawsuit to be the only "hard points' that GDT was referring to in the interviews. for all we know it could be other things that is more closely related to GDT himself and his relationship with NL/ WB. it could be anything (financial, creative control, scheduling?) that both sides must agree upon before GDT is a sure thing.

also there are the other pet projects that GDT hasnt set aside yet, there's "Saturn and the End of Days" that he's been working on that could very well take his full attention if The Hobbit doesnt pan out. if GDT is surely a go on TH, then news on Saturn would be pretty quiet, which isnt exactly the case, given how much its being reported around the net.

i'm all for GDT being signed, sealed and delivered, but i'm also being realistic that no matter how neatly packaged this whole deal is, it just takes one tug on a stray thread for the entire thing to fall apart. i've seen it before with other franchises. i dont see what would make The Hobbit immune to that.

KFC

Apr 22 2008, 8:57am

Post #138 of 154 (5698 views)
Shortcut
Capitalization and punctuation?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone think there is any significance to the capitalization and punctuation used in the riddle (or lack thereof)?

For instance, the numbers Three and Eight being capitalized.

And there is a period after the first line of the last stanza: " At ten minus Three." Is this to somehow separate it from the following lines in the interpretation?

Just curious whether the odd punctuation and capitalization are random or intentional.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2008, 11:46am

Post #139 of 154 (4827 views)
Shortcut
Please make yourself at home! [In reply to] Can't Post

The TORN pantry is loaded, so if you need any seedcakes or beer, please just ask!

I hope we'll see you around here!

Notta

Eldameldo
Bree

Apr 22 2008, 4:13pm

Post #140 of 154 (5502 views)
Shortcut
Thought the same.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had noted that myself that they were capitalized and if that was significant, but had thought that maybe it was a quirk of riddles that I didn't understand.
Would love to hear more theories, this has been extremely fun!!

Laugh

In Reply To
Does anyone think there is any significance to the capitalization and punctuation used in the riddle (or lack thereof)?

For instance, the numbers Three and Eight being capitalized.

Rwraith
The Shire

Apr 22 2008, 4:17pm

Post #141 of 154 (4714 views)
Shortcut
I believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that Monday April 28th at 7:00 A.M. Pacific time is the answer.

brokenmandible

Apr 22 2008, 4:21pm

Post #142 of 154 (5299 views)
Shortcut
7PM 26th Day [In reply to] Can't Post

At ten minus Three. - With a period means 7.
Joining to be
Ten minus Eight =2
Add to the slate = +
of the two dozen princes =24
that die without winces.

7 PM, 26th of April

just a thought

Matt_walker

Apr 22 2008, 6:27pm

Post #143 of 154 (5090 views)
Shortcut
Reply [In reply to] Can't Post

This is quite the interesting riddle, and it's been buzzing about in my head all day.

I like the answers you guys have come up with, and I pray to God that it isn't a hoax, and/or a pointless riddle.
I still can't figure out the last section, though; what with the numbers. I was never any good at math. ;)

'Hobbits like a good tilled Earth' is a stereotype!
:p

KFC

Apr 22 2008, 6:53pm

Post #144 of 154 (6021 views)
Shortcut
Add to the slate... [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone think that the "slate" of the two dozen princes could mean the catual time zone MAP? if the slate is literally the map, then a specified time would (such as 10:00 in the -3 zone) could be added to by each person in his or her own time zone to figure out what the time would be for them.

I have this feeling that since Three and Eight are both capitalized, they are to be differentiated from "ten". Perhaps it's not as simple as 10 -3 =7. We capitalize proper nouns, which might indicate that Three is an actual place. We know that time zone -8 is LA. Time zone -3 is Brazil...so maybe we each need to "add to the slate/time zone map" to find out what times for each of us would be 10 in LA and 10 in Brazil. Perhaps the "joining" is to be at 10 in LA??????????????

And do this (add to) each day of the week until we hear something? Oh I'm confusing myself. It probably can't be that because there's a moon day involved.

Ok I am running away quickly before pies and tomatoes are thrown....

(This post was edited by KFC on Apr 22 2008, 6:55pm)

KFC

Apr 22 2008, 7:13pm

Post #145 of 154 (5083 views)
Shortcut
oops... [In reply to] Can't Post

there is no "catual" time zone map... I meant "actual"Tongue

sorry if i sound loony. Crazy

bettybalin
The Shire

Apr 22 2008, 8:57pm

Post #146 of 154 (5162 views)
Shortcut
I read it slightly differently... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hola Guillermo, ¿Cômo estás?

The day of the moon will be (see below)
when all is revealed to thee
Questions will cease
Answers will please
We´ll learn of the Shire
and all you desire (obviously, we'll hear some news we'll like
)

(From Wiki: Monday (pron. IPA: /&#712;m&#652;nde&#618;, &#712;m&#652;ndi/) is the day of the week between Sunday and Tuesday. It gets its name from the Moon, which in turn gets its name from Old Norse- Máni, (Old English Mona), the Germanic Moon god. Similarly, the names in Latin-based languages such as the Italian name (Lunedì), the French name (lundi), the Spanish name (lunes), and the Romanian name (Luni) come from the Latin name for Moon, luna. The Russian word, eschewing pagan names, is &#1087;&#1086;&#1085;&#1077;&#1076;&#1077;&#1083;&#1100;&#1085;&#1080;&#1082; (poniediélnik), meaning "after Sunday." In most of the Indian languages, the word for Monday is Somvar, with Soma being the Sanskrit name for the moon. The Japanese word for Monday is getsuy&#333;bi (&#26376;&#26332;&#26085;) which means day of the moon.)

At ten minus Three. (7AM)
Joining to be
Ten minus Eight (+2 = 9AM)
Add to the slate
of the two dozen princes (24 hours, or one day)
that die without winces.
And add to each day of
the week. (24 hours + 7 days = 8 days)

9AM, 8 days from when he left the message. (he left it Sunday morning, )

So that would be Monday, April 28th, at 9 AM

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 22 2008, 9:43pm

Post #147 of 154 (5114 views)
Shortcut
I'm leaning towards Thursday [In reply to] Can't Post

If the news is to be released just a few days after Moon Day, that could well be Thursday in LA, Friday in NZ. Why would this day be important? Look at the other main news story on the main page right now. Friday is ANZAC day in NZ and PJ is actively involved in events there. I can think of no better time for a big time announcement than ANZAC day.

But that might just be me hoping we hear something this week, rather than next week.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

bidu

Apr 22 2008, 10:36pm

Post #148 of 154 (4879 views)
Shortcut
Nah, you're all wrong ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

You have your whole CALENDAR wrong. It's the Elvish Eldarin week we need here, and taking it from http://lostworldofennor.angelcities.com/time.htm we get:
Day 1 - Orgilion (Elenya) "stars-day"
Day 2 - Oranor (Anarya) "sun-day"
Day 3 - Orithil (Isilya) "moon-day"
Day 4 - Orgelaidh (Aldúya) "trees-day"
Day 5 - Ormenel (Menelya) "Heavens-day"
Day 6 - Orbelain (Valanya) "Powers-day"

And since elvish weeks have only 6 days and since each months starts with a new week, last Moon Day was on Monday (casually) 21st and the next Moon Day is on the *Sunday* 27th.

Anyway, I don't believe any of this. I think he actually means Monday.

Now the keyword here is TIME, so I read the entire verse with TIME in it:

(TIME for the announcement is) At ten minus Three (09:57).
(TIME for) Joining to be (at the forum is at)
Ten minus Eight (09:52 that's when he'll log in and prepare for the announcement)
(TIME) Add to the slate
of the two dozen princes
that die without winces. (remember to take your timezone into account)
And add to each day of
the week. (which means, wait for a whole week, and live it fully, in anticipation)

Now this is absolutely unambiguous. Right? RIGHT?!!!! :-P

KFC

Apr 22 2008, 10:47pm

Post #149 of 154 (4952 views)
Shortcut
day of the moon... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Tolkien, wasn't there a day when the moon was just right for the revelation of crypted codes/moon letters? Do any of you more knowledgable Tolkien fans think that might "shed any light" on this riddle? (sorry about the pun)

(This post was edited by KFC on Apr 22 2008, 10:49pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 22 2008, 11:11pm

Post #150 of 154 (4809 views)
Shortcut
When I feel a disturbance in "The Force", [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll know it finally happened ;)

sample

sample sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.