The Hobbit Challenge
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lionoferebor
Rohan

Mar 30 2016, 8:45pm

Post #1 of 27 (1489 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Challenge Can't Post

Welcome to The Hobbit 3 Week Challenge or The Hobbit 30 Day Challenge condensed version. There will be ten questions to answer each week. Questions will be posted on Wednesday (U.S.).

A few things to know:
1. This is strictly for kicks and giggles. There are no right or wrong answers.
2. While this is for fun, it also a challenge. The challenge is to answer all the questions. Cool
3. I already have a list of 30 questions, however I am open to suggestions. If you have a question for the Challenge, please submit it via private message and I just may use it. Wink

Let's begin.

Week 1
1. Have you read the book? If yes, did you read it before or after you saw the films.
2. Favorite film
3. Least favorite film
4. Best scene, book to screen adaptation
5. Best original scene
6. Favorite character
7. Favorite Dwarf (if #6 was a Dwarf respond with 2nd favorite)
8. Favorite Elf (if #7 was an Elf respond with 2nd favorite)
9. Moment that made you smile or laugh
10. Moment that brought tears to your eyes, other than the Durin deaths and funeral scene.

(This post was edited by lionoferebor on Mar 30 2016, 8:46pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 30 2016, 9:31pm

Post #2 of 27 (1378 views)
Shortcut
Good job, lionoferebor. And the Hobbit Forum lives on! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Book first.
2. (wimp answer) Can't choose really. Parts of each one.
3. (wimp answer #2) Same as 2. After seeing them all together last week, they do feel like one big movie. Isn't that how they're supposed to be? Evil
4. Thorin's final good-bye to Bilbo. "If more people..." (see what I did there? Got around #10. Wink)
5. Elrond invites Bilbo to stay in Rivendell.
6. The hobbit.
7. Dwalin. You know exactly who that dwarf is and what he stands for.
8. Elrond, wise healer scholar warrior - with a sense of humour.
9. "I do believe the worst is behind us."
10. (music) "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

Mar 30 2016, 9:52pm

Post #3 of 27 (1369 views)
Shortcut
Third attempt [In reply to] Can't Post

My first two I accidentally pressed something that made the page reload and took away all my progress, so I'll keep this one more brief in order to avoid further frustration

1. I read the book first many times before the films.
2. An Unexpected Journey because it contained so many scenes that I loved from the books, and it also focused nicely on my favourite characters, Bilbo and the dwarves.
3. The Desolation of Smaug. I found the pace a bit too quick, and added scenes like the love triangle, forges scene, Kíli's injury, and Legolas defying physics, etc were not my favourites. I also didn't like how they brushed over Queer Lodgings and Flies and Spiders so quickly. Still an awesome movie though!
4. Riddles in the Dark was excellent. Great acting, had almost everything in tact from the book, and had the same tension and eeriness you got when reading the book for the first time.
5. The Battle of Azanulbizar backstory is one I can think of off the top of my head.
6. Fíli. Well Fíli and Kíli from the books, although more Fíli because he was Tolkien's mouthpiece for the two so to speak, and had a bit more character. But in the films, definitely Fíli. He's still got the youthful exuberance but is more level-headed, responsible, and bad-ass.
7. Balin. In the books I really liked Balin like most did, as he was perhaps the nicest to Bilbo, and one of the more distinguished members of the group. In the film he was a little less abrasive and rude, but he still maintained his core character elements and was fun to watch on screen as acted by Ken Stott (who was brilliant).
8. Thranduil. Not necessarily my favourite character as he isn't too likeable, but he was nearly exactly as I imagined him in the book. His character is also just really fun to watch, whether you like him or not.
9. I smiled a lot during the Unexpected Party scenes, as well as when Fíli was being searched for weapons by the elves.
10. I don't think I cried! Sorry, I'm just not somebody who emotes in that way. I did get emotional on the inside though when Thorin's backstory at the Battle of Azanulbizar was revealed, and Bilbo's "you don't have a home" speech. The "I belong with my brother" scene was great too, would've been a perfect build up for them to do Fíli and Kíli's death scene right

(This post was edited by AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar on Mar 30 2016, 9:53pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 30 2016, 9:56pm

Post #4 of 27 (1360 views)
Shortcut
Your challenge is accepted! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Have you read the book? If yes, did you read it before or after you saw the films. Pretty sure I read the book first, at least once, a long time ago (possibly in a galaxy far, far away).

2. Favorite film - Hm, tough call between AUJ and DOS, but I think I'll go with DOS

3. Least favorite film - Battle of 5 Armies, though that's not to say I didn't like it. I just didn't like it as well (for what should be obvious reasonsUnsure)

4. Best scene, book to screen adaptation - Tossup between "Blunt the Knives" and "Contest of Riddles"

5. Best original scene - Easy, that would be Bombur's Bouncing Barrel

6. Favorite character - Um, have you met me? THORIN!!!EvilHeart

7. Favorite Dwarf (if #6 was a Dwarf respond with 2nd favorite) - Oooh, another tough call; but probably Dwalin

8. Favorite Elf (if #7 was an Elf respond with 2nd favorite) - What? I'm a Dwarf fan!

9. Moment that made you smile or laugh - Too many to count, but I'll say Bilbo's line at the Ramparts: "I may be a burglar, but I'd like to think I'm an honest one."SlySlySly

10. Moment that brought tears to your eyes, other than the Durin deaths and funeral scene. - When the credits rolled for BOT5A, and the character sketches came up, and I knew this would be the last Middle-earth filmPirate

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Dwarewien
Rohan

Mar 30 2016, 9:59pm

Post #5 of 27 (1360 views)
Shortcut
I've done something like this before, but I have no problem doing it again... [In reply to] Can't Post

Week 1
1. Have you read the book? If yes, did you read it before or after you saw the films? Yes, three times. The last time was right before the movies came out.
2. Favorite film: DoS (nothing bad happens to Thorin. I hate that), whether it's the theatrical or the extended (I love both).
3. Least favorite film: BoFA (for obvious reasons).
4. Best scene, book to screen adaptation: I'd have to say Riddles in the Dark (it's been a while since I've read the book, so this is the only scene that comes to mind at the moment).
5. Best original scene: I'll have to get back to you on this one.
6. Favorite character: Thorin (duh!).
7. Favorite Dwarf (if #6 was a Dwarf respond with 2nd favorite): Balin.
8. Favorite Elf (if #6 was an Elf respond with 2nd favorite): Galadriel.
9. Moment that made you smile or laugh: When Bilbo faints after Bofur tells him what Smaug might do to him (if he told me that, I don't think I would have fainted, since I'm a little more adventurous than Bilbo is, and don't scare that easily, since I'm quite the Stephen King and Jurassic Park fan)
10. Moment that brought tears to your eyes, other than the Durin deaths: That scene in BoFA (I'm of course referring to the theatrical version) when Thranduil tells Tauriel the reason "it hurt so much" since it mirrored my own feelings towards my own preferred Heir of Durin.Frown

I caught a mistake you made on question 8 (I'm sure you meant #6 rather than #7) and omitted the funeral scene, since I've yet to see the Extended Edition of BoFA (might be a while before I get up the nerve).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Fereth
Rivendell

Mar 30 2016, 10:25pm

Post #6 of 27 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Okey-dokey... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Have you read the book? If yes, did you read it before or after you saw the films.

No, despite having a copy. I need to either de-mildew it (it was a garage sale find) or buy a copy that I can read without triggering my allergies.

2. Favorite film

AUJ. It was full of humor and fun, it felt the most like the kind of fantasy-adventure movie that I prefer. DoS is a close second, it was just too dark and grim.

3. Least favorite film

BOTFA. Good movie, just super sad.

Riddles in the dark.

5. Best original scene

Tauriel and Legolas vs the Orcs in Bard's house.

6. Favorite character

Tauriel Heart So wild, so skilled, and so damn pretty.

Bofur.

Thranduil. HeartHeartHeart I want a TV show or a film with him and Tauriel butting heads over worldviews and politics while getting drunk on his Dorwinian stash.

Bilbo finding Fili and Kili after they've lost the ponies.

10. Moment that brought tears to your eyes, other than the Durin deaths and funeral scene.

When Bilbo tells the other dwarves "tea is at four, don't bother knocking" came pretty close.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2016, 10:38pm

Post #7 of 27 (1341 views)
Shortcut
*cracks knuckles* [In reply to] Can't Post

*pushes up sleeves, squints menacingly*

All right, I'll take that challenge...

1. Have you read the book? If yes, did you read it before or after you saw the films. Yes, I read the book 30 years before the movie. (Do I get extra points for that? Wink)
2. Favorite film UAJ
3. Least favorite film BoTFA
4. Best scene, book to screen adaptation Tricky, tricky. I'd say the unexpected party, all scenes. Angelic
5. Best original scene Feast of Starlight
6. Favorite character Thorin. Also Fili. And all the rest. Cool
7. Favorite Dwarf (if #6 was a Dwarf respond with 2nd favorite) Heh. Wink
8. Favorite Elf (if #7 was an Elf respond with 2nd favorite) Thranduil
9. Moment that made you smile or laugh Dwalin with his hand in the cookie jar.
10. Moment that brought tears to your eyes, other than the Durin deaths and funeral scene. TBH, when the score first began to play when I first saw DOS in the IMAX theater. Evil

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Bofur01
Lorien

Mar 30 2016, 10:47pm

Post #8 of 27 (1337 views)
Shortcut
Kicking and giggling... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Yep, before the films.

2) AUJ, it felt bright and, I think, unique in its Hobbity feeling.

3) BotFA - some awesome heights and dreadful low points, but the unmet potential was what brought it down for me.

4) Riddles in the Dark - Gollum looked fantabbyfunderful here, and Freeman's acting was top-notch as always.

5) This is a hard one - Bilbo's speech to the dwarves after exiting the goblin caverns probably ekes out the conversation between Gandalf and Galadriel at Rivendell, if only for the latter's music tracking from FotR, which niggles me a bit.

6) Character, err.. is all of them an option? I'm gonna have to say Bilbo. Freeman nailed these films.

7) Bofur - Nesbitt was nigh on perfect, and I need that hat!

8) Thranduil - Perfect character design and acting.

9) The Eagle flight in AUJ, that music, those visuals :D

10) Bard's children seeing him shooting at Smaug at the start of BotFA, with a beautiful rendition of Bard's family theme playing, choked me up. Probably also the realisation this was only the 3rd, and probably the last, PJ Middle-earth film I'd see in the cinema (I was too young to see LotR when they came out)

Ettelewen
Rohan

Mar 30 2016, 11:30pm

Post #9 of 27 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Here we go... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Have you read the book?
Oh yes, several times over the years, long before the films were released.
2. Favorite film
All of them, they're all parts of the whole.
3. Least favorite film
None.
Good Morning!
5. Best original scene
The Feast of Starlight
6. Favorite character
Galadriel
Bofur
Thranduil
Dinner in Bag End
"Tea is at four."

(This post was edited by Ettelewen on Mar 30 2016, 11:33pm)

LSF
Gondor

Mar 31 2016, 2:05am

Post #10 of 27 (1301 views)
Shortcut
my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1- Haven't read the book, and no desire to

2- AUJ

3- BOFA. Good movie, but I want more Company dwarves Tongue

4- Can't really judge without having read the book

5- Both Bilbo and Bofur conversations from AUJ and BOFA

6- Bofur

7- Bifur (2nd fave dwarf)

8- Tauriel

9- Bofur making Bilbo faint in Bag End

10- Bilbo saying goodbye to the dwarves at the end, especially when he turns to see them all standing there

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Mar 31 2016, 2:48am

Post #11 of 27 (1294 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Yes, book first.
2. AUJ by a country mile.
3. BOFA
4. The Unexpected Party
5. Bilbo's speech about why he came back
6. Bifur
7. Oin
8. Thranduil
9. Blunt the Knives
10. Bilbo's farewell to the Dwarves

Kim
Valinor

Mar 31 2016, 4:40am

Post #12 of 27 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Challenge accepted [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. The first time when I was 7, then not again until the month before AUJ came out.

2. Favorite film
AUJ. The first viewing brought me back to Middle-earth with a big grin on my face that stayed there for the entire movie.

3. Least favorite film
BOFA. After everything we've been through with these characters, the ending is just too sad for me.

Wow, there are a lot! I'm going to go with Misty Mountains Cold (followed by Good Morning and Riddles in the Dark)

5. Best original scene
Thorin and Bilbo with the acorn. Such a simple scene, with a big impact.

6. Favorite character
Thorin

Thorin (what? Oh OK fine, Balin, he's just so darn cute)

Tauriel. I like the contrast of having a less ethereal, more down to (Middle) earth elf.

Bilbo: Yesh

I could say "Tea is at 4" although that is in large part when the tears for the Durin deaths and funeral scene finally spill over. I wasn't actually brought to tears by anything else, although Thorin entering the hidden door comes close.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Mar 31 2016, 5:27am

Post #13 of 27 (1268 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Yes I have read the book and it was before the films came out.
2. AUJ
3. BOFA
4. There are so many but I will take Riddles in the dark.
5. The acorn scene
6. Bilbo
7. Bofur
8. Thranduil
9. 90% of the films, but if I must pick one it would be the unexpected party.
10. Nothing really, the only time I have had tears in my eyes is the Grey havens scene in ROTK.

Arthael
Lorien

Mar 31 2016, 6:32am

Post #14 of 27 (1261 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Challenge! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Yes! Read it as a kid, then again before AUJ came out
2. DOS EE - best paced, least amount of silliness, beautiful new regions and cultures of middle earth, Dol Goldur's look and feel vastly
improved over AUJ
3. AUJ - I like it, but there's just too much silly Radagast and cheesy CGI, and the warg chase before rivendell is one of the most yawn-inducing action scenes I've ever seen, I fast forward through the Stone
Giants
4. Inside Information, Smaug is both charming and terrifying as well as fantastic CGI
5. Gandalf vs. Sauron - one of my favorite scenes in all 6, period.
6. Bard - I love how his character was written and Luke Evans gave a great performance. He has tender moments like "you look at me" as well as badass action hero moments. BARD should've been "the Aragorn of the Hobbit", not the proud, angry borderline villainous Thorin. (That said, Richard Armitage did a fantastic job with the character he was given)
7. Balin - a well written character and a fantastic performance, he can make you laugh and tear up
8. Thuranduil - a perfectly realized Elf, in that he doesn't seem angelic, and is as imperfect in his reasoning as his mortal counterparts.
Perfectly in line with Feanor and Thingol
9. "And thus the battle was won...and the game of golf invented at the same time"
10. Happy Tears : "In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit"
Sad Tears : "Tea is at four"

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 31 2016, 8:54am

Post #15 of 27 (1241 views)
Shortcut
You're on!.... Deep breath, twiddles whiskers and scratches ear.... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Yes - a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time before. Do I get extra points for having the Nicol Williamson records and the unabridged audio book? Angelic
2. Peter Jackson's Hobbit (all three parts; 'tis one film)
3. The James Bond film a long-ago boyfriend insisted on seeing. Can't remember which one it was, but boy, was it boring! Oh - you didn't mean that? OK - the Rankin Bass Hobbit
4. Either the opening 'Good morning', or 'Far over the Misty Mountains', or Bilbo& Gollum or Bilbo and Smaug - can't get a whisker between them!
5. The feast of starlight conversation is one... (there are others!)
6. Bilbo - with a squeaky cheer for several others...
7. Thorin
8. Thranduil
9. "Then there are the Blue wizards - do you know, I've quite forgotten their names" (or words to that effect)
10. "Look at me.... Just you look at me."

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Nuradar
Rohan

Mar 31 2016, 12:43pm

Post #16 of 27 (1209 views)
Shortcut
boy, is it hard to choose answers for these questions... [In reply to] Can't Post

Week 1
1. Have you read the book? If yes, did you read it before or after you saw the films. - Book first.
2. Favorite film - The Desolation Of Smaug
3. Least favorite film - The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Best scene, book to screen adaptation - Riddles In The Dark
5. Best original scene - Tauriel healing Kili
6. Favorite character - Beorn
7. Favorite Dwarf (if #6 was a Dwarf respond with 2nd favorite) - Balin
8. Favorite Elf (if #7 was an Elf respond with 2nd favorite) - Elrond
9. Moment that made you smile or laugh - When Bilbo does a double-take after spotting the Arkenstone (also love it when he fans away Smaug's bad breath - absolutely brilliant and hilarious).
10. Moment that brought tears to your eyes, other than the Durin deaths and funeral scene. - "I know these halls." Thorin's line upon entering the secret door into Erebor.

(This post was edited by Nuradar on Mar 31 2016, 12:55pm)

Noria
Gondor

Mar 31 2016, 12:57pm

Post #17 of 27 (1203 views)
Shortcut
It's so hard to choose just one, or even ten answers for most of these. [In reply to] Can't Post

Week 1
1. Have you read the book? If yes, did you read it before or after you saw the films - I had read the book many times over many years before the movies appeared.

2. Favorite film - Sometimes AUJ for its bookishness, other times DOS for its differences from the book, but I agree that they are parts of one movie. Today let’s say DOS.

3. Least favorite film - TBOTFA: love it but not as much as the other two.

4. Best scene, book to screen adaptation - Bilbo and Smaug, all of it; Smaug’s attack on Laketown

5. Best original scene - Feast of Starlight: Elvishness and Dwarvishness all wrapped up in a short scene

6. Favorite character - Bilbo: perfect casting, perfect portrayal. Also Bard, same reasons

7. Favorite Dwarf (if #6 was a Dwarf respond with 2nd favorite) - Balin or maybe Bofur or maybe Dwalin. Or Fili. One of those.

8. Favorite Elf (if #7 was an Elf respond with 2nd favorite) - Tauriel: everything a warrior Elf maiden should be, both badass and spiritual

9. Moment that made you smile or laugh - Bilbo trying deal with Balin and Dwalin at Bag End.

10. Moment that brought tears to your eyes, other than the Durin deaths and funeral scene - Thorin and Balin entering Erebor in DOS and just a little later the Dwarves seeing their dead kindred.

Nuradar
Rohan

Mar 31 2016, 1:25pm

Post #18 of 27 (1193 views)
Shortcut
ooooh, I forgot about the acorn scene! Nice one Kim. // [In reply to] Can't Post

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Mar 31 2016, 4:16pm

Post #19 of 27 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Wow! This is cool!! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Yes. Before I saw the films.
2. The Desolation of Smaug.
3. The Battle of the Five Armies.
4. Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire.
5. Smaug bursting from the golden river.
6. Bilbo.
7. Bofur.
8. Elrond.
9. When Tilda asks if the dwarves will bring them luck. Smile
10. Ooh, that's tough, but I'll go when Bofur and Bilbo talk and Bilbo is hurt by Thorin's actions.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 31 2016, 5:14pm

Post #20 of 27 (1139 views)
Shortcut
We likes challenges! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Yes, after seeing AUJ.
2. AUJ
3. DOS
4. An Unexpected Party
5. "That's where I belong. That's home."
6. Bilbo
7. Thorin
8. Galadriel
9. "I forgot my handkerchief."
10. Bilbo saying goodbye to the dwarves

Gianna
Rohan

Mar 31 2016, 6:15pm

Post #21 of 27 (1126 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like fun, I'm in. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Yes! I read it long before the movies came out.
2. AUJ
3. DOS
4. Riddles in the Dark
5. I'm drawing a blank on any original scenes right now... aha! Gandalf sitting down by Bilbo after Thorin's death and lighting his pipe in silence.
6. Bilbo; I'm actually sorta like him. I wouldn't go on an adventure if I could help it, but if I got embroiled in one by accident I'd end up enjoying it.
7. Fili
8. Elrond; I liked him way better in TH than LOTR tbh.
9. "If Baggins loses, we eats it whole!" *enormous eyes and adorable grin*
10. Bilbo quoting the book (I paraphrase): "If any of you ever comes through the Shire, be sure to visit. Tea at four!"

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website
My LOTR-inspired fantasy novel is on Amazon

Aranaes
Rivendell

Mar 31 2016, 9:32pm

Post #22 of 27 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Certainty of a challenge, small chance of failure, what are we waiting for? [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Yes. Book before hobbit films. Started reading after LOTR films
2. They are one to me, with equal favourite parts in each.
3. Ditto
4. Toss up between 'Good morning' and Riddles in the Dark.
5. Balin bartering to board Bard's barge of barrels. (That's a lot of B's!) nice character moment by Ken Stott. Also Gandalf bringing Thrain out of his possession.
6. Balin
7. Fili
8. I actually like Legolas although more so in LOTR. I don't think Orlando's acting is wooden as some say, that's just his elf-like quality. Just a couple of times I could've done without the strained macho voice.
9. End of BOT5A when Bilbo does the "No thank you!" to Gandalf knocking at the door. Just because it was nice to hear that familiar fellowship scene and connect the two trilogies.
10. Almost teary- Bard's "look at me" to Bain.

'And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)!'

(This post was edited by Aranaes on Mar 31 2016, 9:35pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 31 2016, 9:50pm

Post #23 of 27 (1076 views)
Shortcut
So this is the thread that brings us out of the doldrums! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay:

1. Yes, and I read it before seeing the films.
2. An Unexpected Journey
3. The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Riddles in the--yeah, yeah, I know that's a popular choice. Tongue
5. Ho hum...the White Council in Rivendell is up there, with the Feast of Starlight and some others.
6. Bilbo
7. Balin
8. Galadriel
9. "You must be Mr. Boggins!" That one gets me every time.
10. Hmm: "If you ever pass through Bag End, tea is at 4." One of those I still smile at despite being teary.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Apr 1 2016, 11:56am

Post #24 of 27 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Nice work on keeping this forum moving! [In reply to] Can't Post

1.yes, I read The Hobbit once a year.
2. DOS (only EE)
3. AUJ (great film, but too much like FOTR/not original)
4. Dwarves arriving at Bag End (entire sequence)
5. Gandalf lights his pipe/sits next to Bilbo/silent scene (BOTFA)
6. Bilbo
7. Thorin or Dain Ironfoot
8. Thranduil
9. Bofor singing at Rivendell (AUJ EE)
10. Bilbo returns to his sacked home/ending of BOTFA

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 1 2016, 4:27pm

Post #25 of 27 (973 views)
Shortcut
Ooh we likes challenges :)! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for starting this fun thread, lionoferebor!

Week 1

I had already read the book, however, I had only started reading JRRT's books after seeing the LOTR trilogy. So technically for TH films I was a book firster, but for the LOTR films I was a movie firster.

2. Favorite film
I like AUJ best. From the "Good Morning" scene, to meeting Bilbo as a young man, to introducing the dwarves and the Shire (again), I thought it was all captured so well and it pulled me right back into the world of Middle-earth again.

3. Least favorite film
I liked all three of them. But I always have trouble with sad endings, so I watch BOFA the least Unsure.

Wow this is tough. I really have to choose just one?!?! I can't, lol. How about:

Dialogue scene: Good Morning
Action scene: Eagle rescue
Goosebump scene: seeing Rivendell for the first time
Most-iconic-and-they-nailed-it scene: Riddles in the Dark
Character motivation scene: Bilbo's inner conflict over taking the Arkenstone (that played out across a few scenes, so maybe I'm cheating there Sly)
Cry-me-a-(frozen)-river scene: Thorin's passing, Bilbo's tears
Honorable Mention - or, the "I don't know how they're going to make this work onscreen" scene: Blunt the Knives. When I read it, I wondered how they would ever manage to make a scene like this work on film, and whether they would even include it. Hats off to them, it's wonderful.

5. Best original scene
1. Balin and Thorin's conversation in Bag End.
2. I'm not sure whether "I'm going on an adventure!" would be considered original or from the book. But that's a great one too.

6. Favorite character
That would be Bilbo.

Thorin.

Lord Elrond. And I *want* that armor he wore in Dol Guldur Sly.

There were a number of dialogue lines that made me laugh, especially thanks to the way the actors delivered them.

AUJ:
1. Kili: "You must be Mr. Boggins!" Bilbo: "Nope, you can't come in, you've come to the wrong house."
2. Kili: "It's perfectly safe! We'll be right behind you!"
3. Bilbo: "He's got worms in his ... tubes!"

DOS:
Radagast: "This is not a nice place to meet."

BOFA:
Thranduil: "If I'm not mistaken, this is the halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons
from under the nose of my guards." Bilbo: "Yesshhh...sorry about that."

The moment when "pity stayed Bilbo's hand".
"Don't bother knocking."

Thanks again!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.